Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2004   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

IF, big IF, the OL will give him a chance, let's see what the confidence from this game does for DD in the next few games. DD's psyche took a huge hit in the 1st two games (silly that you have to worry about NFL guys psyche but it does make a difference)--maybe we will start to see the DD that came in and shocked everyone with just six runs against Miami.
Old 11-29-2004   #22
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Well sometimes we all just need alittle confidence builder....This game with DD playing well may be just what he needed....Lets hope its not short lived....
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #23
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Well DD just needs about 70 YPG over the last 5 games to get to 1000 yards. IF he stays healthy, I think he can get it.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

1000 yards isn't impressive in a 16 game schedule. Thats not even 60 yards a game.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #25
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

well vinny i think Davis is lucky to have that considering the recent play of the O-line,,,now if he was running behind denvers o-line i would say he'd have about 1200-1500 yrds !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #26
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
1000 yards isn't impressive in a 16 game schedule. Thats not even 60 yards a game.
Vinny please. We all know that 16 x 60 = 960. To be a 1000 yard rusher you have to bust out for 62.5 yards a game. That is so much harder to do than 60 yards a game. The 62.5 barrrier is one of the biggest numbers in all of sports.

Old 11-29-2004   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

ok, so I use fuzzy math.
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2004   #28
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
1000/16 = 62.5 YPG

1000 yards was the standard for a 12 game schedule. For some reason that has stuck around decades later. For a 16 game schedule, the equivalent would be 1333 yards. They should set the new standard at 1300.

*edit* looks like I waited to long to post my reply
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #29
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well there is nothing we can do about replacing him now so we need to give him our support since none of these stats matter during this time of the season. Ws are the only thing that counts. And since of our 5 wins came without those outstanding stats, we may be able to win some more.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #30
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

And lets not forget that the Titans gave up 151 yards rushing to the Jags last week and 101 to the Bears (w/o Thomas Jones)

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #31
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
And lets not forget that the Titans gave up 151 yards rushing to the Jags last week and 101 to the Bears (w/o Thomas Jones)
So true. They gave up those yards to a high first rounder with 7 years league experience(Taylor) and a high second rounder with four years experience(Thomas). I think our little fourth round pick who has two years experience deserves very little credit.
Old 11-29-2004   #32
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
So true. They gave up those yards to a high first rounder with 7 years league experience(Taylor) and a high second rounder with four years experience(Thomas). I think our little fourth round pick who has two years experience deserves very little credit.
I am just saying that the Titans have been run on lately. I am not trying to take away credit from Davis, he finally had a good game...but a featured back is a featured back...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 11-29-2004   #33
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

ok FORGET it yall are right Davis sucks,,,,he was a one hit wonder, i say we just cut him so we can always wonder what if,,,,like what if it was just the O-Line, cause they sure cant protect carr very well either,,,so does that mean that carr is no good either ?
Old 11-29-2004   #34
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
. . .like what if it was just the O-Line, cause they sure cant protect carr very well either,,,so does that mean that carr is no good either ?
Without good protection, Carr is completing 62% of his passes has a career high 12 TDs with only 9 INTs and is 10th in the league in passing yards, so he is doing pretty good...

Old 11-29-2004   #35
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

So maybe 1,000 yards is no big deal in todays NFL (and I happen to agree with that) and maybe a 1,000 yards is about 1,000 yards shy of where Davis wanted to be when the season ends. If he gets it then combined with last years 1,000 I think he's about 1,500 yards ahead of where the Texans expected him to be when they drafted him in the 4th round to compete for return duties and play some 3rd down back.

I'll take it for now certainly. If the line improves and he's sitting around 1,500 yards next season then I'll be a very happy fan indeed. If they improve and he's still doing a grand a year then there's always the draft and free agency.
Old 11-29-2004   #36
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Without good protection, Carr is completing 62% of his passes has a career high 12 TDs with only 9 INTs and is 10th in the league in passing yards, so he is doing pretty good...

yes well carr has more options can run, than pass, Davis can ONLY hope his o-line blocks for him, cause if not theres not much he can do like carr can. We are lucky carr is so mobile or else he wouldnt be doing NEAR as good as he is ! I blame D.D bad year soley on the o-line, just my opinion though !
Old 11-29-2004   #37
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis had a good game, I am glad to see that. I am not sold that he is the franchise back.. Give me a few games and let me see him make guys miss. I am not bashing Davis, it is just think about the RB's in the league and compare him with them.Davis isn't the worst RB,but is he in the top 16?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #38
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

On his runs of 27 and 41 yards, Davis had huge holes that most of us could have run through for close to the same yardage. On the run of 27 yards, he was tackled by the first guy to touch him. On the TD run for 41 yards, he was never touched.

Much of DD's problems this year have been that he can't break tackles. Good running backs are able to run thru or by the first tackler, or at least when they get tackled by that first man it is only after they get an extra couple of yards. This year DD needs an open hole to get 4 yards.

Remember in the Green Bay game when DD got through the hole and was one-on-one with LB Nai Diggs? Diggs was able to wrap up DD and stand him up. Good (not great, just good) RB's are able to at least keep their legs going and dive forward after contact.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #39
fresno8
Veteran

Last year I had hoped Willis McGahee could fall into our hands in the 2nd round, wouldn't that have been nice. Davis is a good receiver out of the back field, but isn't a great back, he's just average. I've never been very impressed with him he gets big gains only when the line opens a gaping hole. I agree we definately need a work horse some one with speed, power or both. I wish Lindell White or Reggie Bush were coming out this year we could use either one. Davis will get us to .500, but we need a premeir back to get us to the playoffs and beyond. The line will continue to gel over the course of this year and into next year, but we could use some help on the left side of the line. Go Texans
fresno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #40
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Speaking of McGahee...

The Bills were 0-4 before he was starting and have gone 5-2 since he has been starting. Early in the year everyone was moaning how bad the Bills line was. Since McGahee stepped up they are no longer blaming their line for all their problems. A great back can make your line's job much easier.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read