Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2007   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Green to IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
In other news, I hear the Texans will sign Priest Holmes out of retirement next year ... 3 years/$13M.

I am feeling ill...........
Old 12-07-2007   #22
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Michael Turner......we have an open spot for you. I just have this feeling he will be a Texan next year.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I can't say I was shocked by this, I hope he rehabs well. Anyone know the cap hit if/when we cut him?
It depends on whether the cap hit from the remaining bonus allocation would be spread over 2 years, or just take the complete hit in '08. If the Texans absorbed the entire cap hit, they would still save about $1.2 million against the cap, since Green in due a $3.8 million salary next season.
Old 12-07-2007   #24
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It depends on whether the cap hit from the remaining bonus allocation would be spread over 2 years, or just take the complete hit in '08. If the Texans absorbed the entire cap hit, they would still save about $1.2 million against the cap, since Green in due a $3.8 million salary next season.
I don't know about that . What I do remeber a whole buch of folks garaunting the board that the contract costs for ahmen were negligable. Therefore there was no concern . Yeah, now tell me another one. They need the roster spot(s) for the C/G disaster. For what we are about to recieve may we all be truly greatful.
Old 12-07-2007   #25
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellerLotYeller View Post
17 on IR!!
IIRC, for 3 of the 6 years that club has been around we have led the league in people on IR. Hard to build a team with a MASH unit.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #26
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

And once again the Austin papers call this the bust of the year! And thats without Charlie Casserly!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #27
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
And once again the Austin papers call this the bust of the year! And thats without Charlie Casserly!
Marvin Harrison has been out most of this year with the same thing as Green. I guess the Colts keeping him this year was a mistake too.
Old 12-08-2007   #28
SA Texan
Veteran

Well, we should have expected it. A great season in 2003 and he hasn't played a full one since. Good riddance.
SA Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #29
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I don't know about that . What I do remeber a whole buch of folks garaunting the board that the contract costs for ahmen were negligable. Therefore there was no concern . Yeah, now tell me another one. They need the roster spot(s) for the C/G disaster. For what we are about to recieve may we all be truly greatful.
So they should have predicted that there would be this many injuries?

The contract from what I recall is very low if it is two years not just one, because of structuring. I will look for the contract details.
Old 12-08-2007   #30
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

They can't cut him while he is injured, correct? Don't they have to make an injury settlement?

On a side note...Reggie Bush is out for the year also. I am very glad we did not take him in the draft...
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #31
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
"Green is the 17th player to the placed on the Texans injured reserve this season. They lead the league in players on IR."
Looks like our backups are getting a lot of playing time as some on this board wanted.
Old 12-08-2007   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
well, at least he got paid
We do that alot. I like Amen. Won money with him. I undertand the cap situation they were in...cap freindly or not...it was a bad sign. And I posted as much at the time.
Old 12-08-2007   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
They can't cut him while he is injured, correct? Don't they have to make an injury settlement?

On a side note...Reggie Bush is out for the year also. I am very glad we did not take him in the draft...
They're not going to cut him or settle him out unless he can't recover by OTAs. That would be an admition that they made an enormous bo-bo.
Old 12-08-2007   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
The contract from what I recall is very low if it is two years not just one, because of structuring. I will look for the contract details.
Green signed a 4 year, $23 million deal. $6.5 million guaranteed.
Old 12-08-2007   #35
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

This is not good news, but it's par for the course with this season. I believe he was only meant to be a stop gap fix & based on some comments from Kubiak earlier in the year, I believe that Chris Taylor was going to be given the opportunity to take over the starting position at some point during the season. But, who could've foreseen him getting a season ending injury before the season even started?

Unless McFadden falls to us, I doubt we'll take a RB with our 1st round pick. Hopefully, we'll be able to trade down & pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick from someone. I read somewhere where the writer speculated that we could trade down with San Francisco for their late 1st (formally New England's) & early 2nd round picks. Given our success in the last 2 drafts, I'd be very interested in such a trade.

By the way, does anyone know the current prognosis of Chris Taylor?

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #36
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/fo...ead.php?t=8094

Ugh!
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #37
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

we should just cut Green and take the Cap hit on him next year if we wanted a BUM knee running back we could of kept DW the star formerly known as DD.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

for those of you who understandably are upset & personally feel the $6M cap hit try & understand the buisness side I'm sure Ahman Green didn't point a to the Texans collective heads & demand they cough up 23 million or else, it was the Texans decision he just agreed.

we've been down this road before I'm almost always in favor of the player/worker over the establishment/buisness as long as its not something of a scam planned out in advance. pre-condition or not I beleive Ahman Green came here to our city to play football for the Houston Texans & unfortunate as it is his body just broke down on him.

one of the beautiful things about this organization is that they have the resources to recover easily from this, while I'm mad he can't play too (as I'm sure he is as well) at least he can live a happy & productive life moving forward. I wish him well, maybe if he is interested he could coach the backfield the Texans could still recover some of their losses
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #39
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Exclamation R.I.P. Bun B

All I know is let's please draft a RB in the first 3 rounds, for the sake of the team!
Old 12-08-2007   #40
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Exclamation Sorry............R.I.P. Pimp C!

I would say in the 3rd, unless Stewart is there when we pick in the first!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read