Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-06-2007   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2008 Left Tackle possibilities

I would appreciate if some of you that watch college football more closely than I would list the junior and senior guys and your thoughts if the juniors would come out. I have reviewed several sites and I would enjoy your thoughts. I have seen some posts on various players but would like one thread to go to and review as season progresses. Please include when you think the player could be drafted. For example, on one mock thread by BeerLover, I mention Alex Boone who may go as low as 4th round but to me seemed worth a low first round if we were able to trade down. If others think he would easily be available at third, I'd re-evaluate using a first on another position. I was really caught off guard last year with Winston and Spencer going in 3rd.

It would be helpful that if you choose to also discuss other needs by Texans such as corners you use a separate post and not mix positions. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2007   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 Left Tackle possibilities

It's not Joel Bushbaum, but it is free. This guy puts a premium on the striaght line forty. That's a thing, but it's not the only thing. Cone drills, how many times a guy can jerk 225.... body fat. The most import thing is the tape. How does the guy produce when faced with stiff competition ? Anyway everyone has their own personl favorites. The key is how many of the top end Juniors will come out.

King Dunlop passes the eye ball test. And you can get him in day two...however, the game tape dosen't match the physique. My favorite would be Micheal Oher. He can cover more postions than some of the others. Which makes his bust factor extremly low. He is highly athletic and powerfull. He is also, just like Mario, the rawest of the group. Which means the board will have to have a six pack of patience with him. He is also the guy with the most upside. He won't be as true a RG/RT/OLT prospect as Beerlover's guy out of Pittsburg. He's not that huge. But I believe he has more than a fair shot to cover the left side. Beerlover's guy is not slow mind you, 5.2 if he has the feet, will work very well in this scheme. Beerlover says the guy has the feet to make it at OLT I believe him. Loadholt has blocked everything in front of him with impunity. I look forward to seeing what he posts at the combine. And I hate OU.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...itionrptOL.htm

Quote:
Three junior left tackles — Oklahoma’s Phil Loadholt, Boise State’s Ryan Clady and Mississippi’s Michael Oher — could strengthen the OT class considerably.

Loadholt, at 6-8, 350 pounds, comes in a similar mold as Minnesota Vikings 2002 seventh overall draft pick Bryant McKinnie. He is a junior-college transfer and has started only one season, but he’s very naturally athletic with good footwork and shows the ability to collapse defenders in the run game.

Clady looks every bit the part with a big frame and long arms. The game appears to come easy for him — he’s a natural 300-pounder who can bend and adjust — and he is loaded with upside.

Oher has everything you want in a premier left tackle — he’s big, naturally athletic, quick-footed and flashes strength and power. He has had to overcome a lot in his life, as has been detailed in Michael Lewis’ best-selling book, “The Blind Side,” soon set to become a movie. However, communication and trust issues still remain from a very rough upbringing, when he bounced from home to home, and the coach given the task of developing him will have his work cut out for him.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-06-2007 at 12:04 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I need to see Oher play but I like everything I've read about him. All Otah has done is go out & improve every week until he may be playing at the highest level in all of College Football @ his position. he has faced & won the battle against the highest rated DE's in the nation (has not played Vernon Gholston, I would pay money for that) but this list includes Chris Long, VT & George Selvie, South Florida. Ryan Clady is a complete looking OT who reminds me somewhat of Levi Brown, who people told me was a 2nd rd. pick this time last year
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I lost the web site I reviewed yesterday that showed by position where players should go through all 7 rounds. That was interesting. It had some players highlighted so additional info could be looked at. I have mixed feelings about how far to go before grabbing a player that can fill a need positon. We all pretty much have same ideas on where those holes are, just differ on who and when to select and if that guy will be available. If an Alex Boone will be there in fourth, do we take that risk and go for other positions in earlier rounds? I lean toward if a solid guy is at your pick you go with him, but if a trade allows you to acquire another pick and still get another player pretty close to your first option that is hard to turn down.
Old 12-06-2007   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I need to see Oher play but I like everything I've read about him. All Otah has done is go out & improve every week until he may be playing at the highest level in all of College Football @ his position. he has faced & won the battle against the highest rated DE's in the nation (has not played Vernon Gholston, I would pay money for that) but this list includes Chris Long, VT & George Selvie, South Florida. Ryan Clady is a complete looking OT who reminds me somewhat of Levi Brown, who people told me was a 2nd rd. pick this time last year
Oher was pay per veiw every game except one. I've seen him once this year. If he declares, that will mean I'm basing a lot on what I saw last year and what he does at the combine.

I just think you just about summed it up BB. The other guys that come up for second day guys...project guys...read guys that will be much like Erick and Brandon Frye... are the guy from Nebraska and the guy from Virgina Tech. and that what the gamble is. Finding someone who is locked and loaded. How long do you wiat ? I think with the kaos at their C/G depth...they got hit on at least a guy who can fill that role. I'd rather have an OT who is athletic enough and stound eough who can swing inside. I think Kubiak has been prety adimate that the o-line guy has to be able to plug various holes and be very flexiable in their ablity. We need to find a way to hit the DB and one of the dancing bears to have any shot at all next season.
Old 12-06-2007   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Oher was pay per veiw every game except one. I've seen him once this year. If he declares, that will mean I'm basing a lot on what I saw last year and what he does at the combine.

I just think you just about summed it up BB. The other guys that come up for second day guys...project guys...read guys that will be much like Erick and Brandon Frye... are the guy from Nebraska and the guy from Virgina Tech. and that what the gamble is. Finding someone who is locked and loaded. How long do you wiat ? I think with the kaos at their C/G depth...they got hit on at least a guy who can fill that role. I'd rather have an OT who is athletic enough and stound eough who can swing inside. I think Kubiak has been prety adimate that the o-line guy has to be able to plug various holes and be very flexiable in their ablity. We need to find a way to hit the DB and one of the dancing bears to have any shot at all next season.
Do you think a guy like Faneca would be worth "stupid" money (as someone put it)? I undestand he can play guard and center. I just do not see much in free agency that excites me as starter material that 1) will be there and not a re-sign 2) over pay or not would fill a hole. IMO that is Samuel as only choice for us.
Old 12-06-2007   #7
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say the guys that interest me are Clady (I've seen him projected from #11 to early 2nd), Boone (mid 1st to late 2nd)(Also I believe he stays in school), Otah( mid to late 1st - 3rd) (Has aggressive punch, and outstanding feet), Oher (late 1st - 3rd)(believed to be staying in school).

A 3rd round and later guy I am watching is Chris Williams Vanderbilt. He has been solid, a good senior bowl will help him.

I am not thrilled with the USC tackle Sam Baker, his injury concerns me.

I would target Clady, Boone, and or Otah at this time. Unfortunately we can only see Otah in the senior bowl, I wish they would include declared juniors. I am not going to say I know what Kubiak and Smith look for because Spencer numbers (Short Shuttle, weight) broke all the so called rules for the Denver model, but if Otah number come close to Spencer's then his punch and aggression should make him a target for them.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Anothny Collins. Still under estamating the Jay Hawks. My Bad

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-07-2007 at 05:25 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Gosder Cherlius from Boston College.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Gosder Cherlius from Boston College.
He's projecting out to be a RT in the NFL. Something that we actually are okay at.
Old 12-06-2007   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I lost the web site I reviewed yesterday that showed by position where players should go through all 7 rounds. That was interesting. It had some players highlighted so additional info could be looked at. I have mixed feelings about how far to go before grabbing a player that can fill a need positon. We all pretty much have same ideas on where those holes are, just differ on who and when to select and if that guy will be available. If an Alex Boone will be there in fourth, do we take that risk and go for other positions in earlier rounds? I lean toward if a solid guy is at your pick you go with him, but if a trade allows you to acquire another pick and still get another player pretty close to your first option that is hard to turn down.
That's a tough question to answer right now. We have no clue who they will get in FA and what, if any, holes they will fill. My guess, at this point in time, given the O-line problems we are having, would be they will not pass on a LT in the 1st or 3rd if it's someone they think can step in and solidify that position right away (like Spencer). We also have to remember that if we do get a stud LT, and Spencer comes back healthy, we can always move Spencer to Guard. Either way, it gives us some much needed depth.

Another thing to remember is that this is looking like a deep draft for LT, especially if some of the top Jr's come out, like Clady, Oher, and Boone. So the more of them that come out, the better chance we have of getting one late in the 1st (if we trade down), or maybe even in the 3rd. Chris Williams, Chad Rinehart, Max Unger and Otah could all be there when we pick in the 3rd. Not likely, but you never know. It's like you said bb, you didn't expect Winston and Spencer to be there in the 3rd. I know I was surprised about Winston falling that far. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

We should just draft the guy from Michigan if he's available

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
We should just draft the guy from Michigan if he's available
Probably not going to happen unless we seriously tank. If the Rams are picking before us, they are getting a replacement for Orlando Pace.
Old 12-13-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

only a suggestion, but given the depth of this draft @ LT that would seem the most likely item on the menu

my projection as of right now suggests that pick to be LT Sam Baker, USC 6052 314 lbs. he should be fully recovered from the hamstring injury & ready to perform in the Rose Bowl against Illinois. I'll be paying extra attention to how well he performs & plays against DE's Derek Walker/Will Davis both with plenty of speed.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #15
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

After Long there is a whole bunch of nothing at LT. I doubt there will be any worthy of our pick between 10-15.

Felix Jones, Talib, Stewart will all be there. Dan Conner might even slip
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
only a suggestion, but given the depth of this draft @ LT that would seem the most likely item on the menu

my projection as of right now suggests that pick to be LT Sam Baker, USC 6052 314 lbs. he should be fully recovered from the hamstring injury & ready to perform in the Rose Bowl against Illinois. I'll be paying extra attention to how well he performs & plays against DE's Derek Walker/Will Davis both with plenty of speed.
Now I am confused. I had thought this was supposed to be a deep LT draft but this week I have read that Jake Long is projected as RTand goes too high regardless; Clady has supposedly moved up to a top 10 pick and Baker is mocked by Walterfootball.com @ #8 and by NFL DraftDog @#14. Cherilus is projected at right and Oher probably will not come out. I am looking at ALex Boone 6'7" 325lbs "best left tackle from Ohio State since Orlando Pace" Per Draft Insiders Digest. I see us struggling to fill this major hole for another year.
Old 12-13-2007   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no Top tier LT in this draft. But there is good depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Please identify those depth players that will be available at 15. I am getting depressed.
Old 12-13-2007   #19
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Depends on who declares. If Clady and Boone declare, either one could be a Top tier LT that would good in a Texans uniform.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Clady's a top 5er to me.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read