Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-04-2007   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jack Pardee??

Wow they are reaching to the past

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3141498

Quote:
HOUSTON -- Houston is looking to its past in the search for a new football coach.

Former Cougars coach Jack Pardee, who also coached the Houston Oilers and two other NFL teams, said Tuesday he has been contacted by the school about returning for a second stint as head coach.

Pardee, 71, coached the Cougars from 1987-89, compiling a 22-11-1 record. The Cougars were 1-10 the season before he arrived but rose to as high as No. 14 in the nation before Pardee left to coach the Oilers.

Pardee was 87-77 in 11 seasons in the NFL as head coach of the Chicago Bears, Washington Redskins and Oilers. Pardee has not coached since 1996, when he was in the Canadian Football League.

Pardee told Houston TV station KRIV that Cougars athletic director Dave Maggard called him to discuss the job. Maggard has declined to comment on specifics of his coaching search.

"There are a lot of ifs, but if the school is interested I'd be very interested," Pardee said. "I am not looking for a job. If they find somebody else they are more comfortable with, I would back that decision 100 percent."

Former Cougars quarterback David Klingler told the Houston Chronicle that the school has contacted him about being the offensive coordinator for Pardee.

"I know some people would be concerned about his age, but you have to take each person on an individual basis," Klingler said. "But I will say this -- I've been around a lot of coaches, and I wouldn't consider doing this for anyone other than Jack Pardee."

The Cougars are replacing Art Briles, who left to become head coach at Baylor last week.
Old 12-04-2007   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jack Pardee??

Big surprise here.

Pardee still knows football, if hired he would groom one of the assistants for the HC position, perhaps Fitzpatrick or Klingler.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Big surprise here.

Pardee still knows football, if hired he would groom one of the assistants for the HC position, perhaps Fitzpatrick or Klingler.
I may be wrong but was he or someone else that is coaching the Texas team in the semi-pro starter league?
Old 12-04-2007   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Klingler, as far as I know, is a preacher.

We are among the "Them"
Old 12-04-2007   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Klingler, as far as I know, is a preacher.
My bad, I meant Pardee. I know they are having an 8 team, I believe, development league and someone that was ex-Houston was getting together the Texas team.
Old 12-04-2007   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Read this in Murph's blog:

Quote:
December 04, 2007

How would you feel about Jack Pardee?

How about Jack Pardee?

The former Cougar coach (the man has been just about everywhere) has emerged as a candidate to replace CAB. Uncle Dave wouldn't comment on it, but the rumor has been floating around. But David Klingler, who would serve as OC under Pardee if this longshot actually hit the target, confirmed the talks.

"Yes, that's true," Klingler said. "I know some people would be concerned about his age, but you have to take each person on an individual basis. But I will say this -- I've been around a lot of coaches, and I wouldn't consider doing this for anyone other than Jack Pardee."

Jason Phillips, who would serve as WRs coach, knows everyone will have questions about Pardee's age.

"I have no reservations (about the plan). In fact, I love the idea of bringing Jack Pardee back," Phillips said. "(Florida State's) Bobby Bowden is 78. (Penn State's) Joe Paterno is 80. Howard Schnellenberger is 73. I have no reservations about Jack's age.
Link: How would you feel about Jack Pardee
Old 12-04-2007   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

God I hope not, it is hard enough for UH to recruit but having a fossel as a coach will not get any kids to think about coming to UH.
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2007   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
God I hope not, it is hard enough for UH to recruit but having a fossel as a coach will not get any kids to think about coming to UH.
All that fossil needs to do is mention the 'run-and-shoot' and there will be QB's and WR's banging on his door...
Old 12-04-2007   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Jack Pardee? UH is really putting back the Ol' in the Good Ol' Boy system.
Old 12-04-2007   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
All that fossil needs to do is mention the 'run-and-shoot' and there will be QB's and WR's banging on his door...
Do you really think so? I would not have thought that.
Old 12-04-2007   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
...unless they want to play NFL football. Run N Shoot and Tedford offenses are like kryptonite to NFL scouts nowadays.
Old 12-04-2007   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Do you really think so? I would not have thought that.
If I was coming out of high school and someone told me that they were running an offense where I could rack up obscene numbers - I think I could be convinced. These kids wont be worried about what happened to Ware or Klingler... They would just think that they would be the ones to make it..

Besides, all kidding aside - I doubt it would be for the long term. It would probably be just a filler (see Tom Osborne for NU), until they get their guy...
Old 12-04-2007   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I was coming out of high school and someone told me that they were running an offense where I could rack up obscene numbers - I think I could be convinced. These kids wont be worried about what happened to Ware or Klingler... They would just think that they would be the ones to make it..

Besides, all kidding aside - I doubt it would be for the long term. It would probably be just a filler (see Tom Osborne for NU), until they get their guy...
The Run and Shoot isnt exactly revolutionary anymore.

If I wanted to put up mad numbers coming out of high school there are plenty of better places I could go than UH.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

nvm
Old 12-04-2007   #15
gwallaia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

If I wanted to put up mad numbers coming out of high school there are plenty of better places I could go than UH.
#4 Total Offense in the Nation
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank....otoff&site=org

We are among the "Them"
Old 12-04-2007   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

True considering just about every collegiate offense today runs a version of it... It's now called the 'spread option' instead.

Yeah... I could name a few places I'd like to go.... For one, UH - Hawaii that is.
Old 12-04-2007   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
True considering just about every collegiate offense today runs a version of it... It's now called the 'spread option' instead.

Yeah... I could name a few places I'd like to go.... For one, UH - Hawaii that is.
Yes but you would probably get kicked out after your first year, it is kinda bad not attending class and sitting on the beach drinking Mai-Tai's watching the hola dancers perform.

Oh wait that is what I would do.
Old 12-05-2007   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

just the name "Jack Pardee" sounds like a really old white guy.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
just the name "Jack Pardee" sounds like a really old white guy.
Hey as long a they have a hover round and a steady supply of depends on hand, ought to work out.
Come to think of it perhaps Jeff Magert could sign them up as a corprate sponser.
Have a depends screen to catch all of the extra points and feild goals. Works out for everyone.

Know what this tells me Kast. Jeff Magart got blind sided by this. The job has passed the guy by. Too funny.

http://www.depend.com/offers/coupon.asp
Old 12-05-2007   #20
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually Ware and Klingler did make it. They were both Top 10 Draft picks and that means Millions of $ guaranteed. Does it really matter that they didn't have good pro careers if they are both millionaires?

I don't think so, and that is something a recruiter could sell to a poor, but tallented high school player.

"Hey kid, you may not make it in the next level, but if you come here and put up ridiculous numbers there is a chance that you can make more money in that intial contract than most people will make in their lives, and even if you don't get drafted, you can get a top quality education for free in the meantime. So, either way, after attending our University you will have a higher quality of life then you did growing up."

Quote:
If Pardee is brought in it will be to groom Klingler to be the next Head Coach at U of H.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read