Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2007   #21
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Could Sage be auditioning as trade bait the rest of season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Gaffney was a bust with Houston.
Gaffney as Texan has David Carr at QB

Gaffney as Patriot has Tom Brady at QB

what was that commercial that said...."you make the call"?
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #22
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch-Houston View Post
Gaffney as Texan has David Carr at QB

Gaffney as Patriot has Tom Brady at QB
What are you trying to say?

Post #4444 for me.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #23
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your point is meaningless.

Gaffney has proved he can play in the league.

Which proves it wasn't Gaffney that was the issue but the Texans organization it's self. The guy has made some clutch catches for the Patriots (AFC Championship game and last night).

The Eagles even cut Gaffney and the Patriots picked him up several weeks later after he cleared waivers.

Point is, that is how you build a team. Through the draft and plugging in guys from the scrap heap.

The Texans are going to have a hard time building a core putting all their chips down in trades and the free agency market.

I digress, Gaffney is not a bust...

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 12-04-2007 at 02:07 PM.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #24
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans probably should consider trading Rosenfels for another draft pick.

They need as many draft picks as possible to build a solid team.

I just don't see the point in keeping two QBs while your still hovering around 5 or 7 wins for the year every year when you can get decent value and plug glaring holes in the personnel roster.

The best way to improve the offensive line for the long-term is through the draft.

Bottom line, having two QBs is an unneeded luxury at this time with the current roster. It's overkill that isn't going to improve the overall record.
Old 12-04-2007   #25
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Jabar Gaffney is not a bust.

He is doing very well with the Patriots. He caught the game winning TD last night!
yep. And he was catching Tom Brady passes in the playoffs last year, too.

Quote:
The ball thrower had nothing to do with it, right?
Old 12-04-2007   #26
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless somebody is going to overpay, absolutely no reason to consider trading Rosenfels. Essentially, the Texans would create a significant hole, back-up QB, to maybe filling some other need. Classic robbing Peter to pay Paul or borrowing your way out of debt, etc.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #27
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 984 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Who do you guys see as possibilities to make this trade? IMO:

Bears, Jets, Falcons, 49ers, Bills, Ravens, Chiefs, and Panthers are all gonna be in the market for a QB next season and are therefore all in the running for our backup QB who is gonna light up the league these last 4 games!!!
Why would these guys give up any draft picks when they can get the number 1 draft pick David Carr for nothing..
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2007   #28
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Do any of you guys think that if Sage plays very well to close out the season we will receive offers for our backup qb in the offseason for a team in need of a veteran qb that can step in and start right away?....
I don't think we'll be shopping him, but if it's a sellers market - who knows. As mentioned above, possibly bring in a youngin' that slipped in the draft. I think we have the competent FO to find the gems now - at least in comparison to CC's factory.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #29
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Considering that, over the course of this season, Sage has come in and competently played football...almost as frequently as Schaub had, I would say he has value. That said, I have been watching Shane Boyd and he does have potential. If he could come in a play as well as Sage, I would be open to snagging a draft pick or two for Sage. There are a lot of teams that could use a QB, namely Atlanta.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #30
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Considering that, over the course of this season, Sage has come in and competently played football...almost as frequently as Schaub had, I would say he has value. That said, I have been watching Shane Boyd and he does have potential. If he could come in a play as well as Sage, I would be open to snagging a draft pick or two for Sage. There are a lot of teams that could use a QB, namely Atlanta.
Where have you been watching Boyd?
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #31
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they can keep Boyd in the system for awhile. It's always nice to have a developmental player waiting in the wings. Who knows, it could be a Romo situation. On that note, I wonder what really happened with Zabransky?
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #32
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Since the only thing that Schaub has proved this season is his potential, and considering the state our offensive line is in, I think getting rid of Sage is about the stupidest idea Ive ever heard of. Before we go getting rid of Sage, lets make it through a season with a decent O-line, Schaub standing on two feet, and someone besides Dayne running the ball. And yes, Dayne's been doing well, but do you really want this guy as our permanent starter?

Otherwise when Schaub goes out, we have NO chance. At least with Sage we do stand a chance of winning, if for no other reason hes familiar with the players and the system.

Only one reason I would get rid of Sage, and that's (during the draft) to get a draft pick to specifically draft a QB on the spot, which ain't happening since we have a large invenstment in Schaub. For now, I thank the Gods of football we have Sage.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #33
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Since the only thing that Schaub has proved this season is his potential, and considering the state our offensive line is in, I think getting rid of Sage is about the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard of. Before we go getting rid of Sage, let’s make it through a season with a decent O-line, Schaub standing on two feet, and someone besides Dayne running the ball. And yes, Dayne's been doing well, but do you really want this guy as our permanent starter?

Otherwise when Schaub goes out, we have NO chance. At least with Sage we do stand a chance of winning, if for no other reason he’s familiar with the players and the system.

Only one reason I would get rid of Sage, and that's (during the draft) to get a draft pick to specifically draft a QB on the spot, which ain't happening since we have a large invenstment in Schaub. For now, I thank the Gods of football we have Sage.
I don't think getting good value out of Sage is a such a stupid idea.

There are so many holes on this team and most importantly, the Texans need to build a core of players through the draft.

I don't see how keeping two QBs on the roster like this is going to translate to more than 6 or 7 wins.

The Texans need draft picks, it's that simple.

If the Texans were knocking on the door for a playoff run, I could see holding onto to Sage. A 2nd or 3rd round pick probably would be a slam dunk for me to trade Sage.

So amazing the Texans will drop two 2nd round draft picks and slide two spots in the first round for an unproven QB but would be hesitant to trading a journeyman QB they got for nothing. That just doesn't make sense to me. Being stacked at the QB position considering the state of the roster also doesn't make sense to me either.
Old 12-04-2007   #34
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Being stacked at the QB position considering the state of the roster also doesn't make sense to me either.

Having a good backup QB is gold. But how much trade value is Sage worth? Is he worth a 2nd round pick? Or more? I suppose if we got a 2nd rounder and a 3rd or 4th round pick, yeah. But then what are we going to do for a backup? We'd then have to use a pick on a decent QB prospect, or get a QB in FA. Unless we end up with another good backup PLUS a decent pick, I just don't see it.

And I didn't imply anyone was stupid for saying something different, after all, I've said some pretty stupid things here myself. I just think the idea of giving up a solid backup QB for an unproven draft choice with nothing else gained in the trade doesn't make sense to me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #35
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Only problem with trading Sage is we don't want to wind up like Atlanta, starting someone like Harrington, epsecially with Matt's history
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #36
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Where have you been watching Boyd?
I've seen him play in college, I've seen him practice, and I'm pretty sure I saw him play during the preseason.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #37
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see how keeping two QBs on the roster like this is going to translate to more than 6 or 7 wins.
Having a backup QB in case your starter goes down is not a "luxury" it's "competent roster management".

If Sage demands starter money one year, then yeah, we should shop him around. He is signed to a 4 year (beginning March '06) 7 million dollar deal, so we won't even have to worry about that for a little while.

Build through the draft yes, trade your veteran backup QB who knows the scheme and the players around him? No no and no. That's just plain silly.
Old 12-04-2007   #38
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gaffney was never a bust. First of all, he was a 2nd round pick. Hard to call anyone not drafted in the first round a "bust". Secondly, he didn't have a real QB throwing the ball to him until he got to New England.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #39
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think upgrading along the o-line would help this tremendously, but I know that is a minority viewpoint in Houston.
Wooohooo, what do you know......I'm a minority!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #40
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Having a backup QB in case your starter goes down is not a "luxury" it's "competent roster management".

If Sage demands starter money one year, then yeah, we should shop him around. He is signed to a 4 year (beginning March '06) 7 million dollar deal, so we won't even have to worry about that for a little while.

Build through the draft yes, trade your veteran backup QB who knows the scheme and the players around him? No no and no. That's just plain silly.
It is a luxury considering the state of affiars. Having Sage as the backup doesn't even mean a. 500 record.

The Texans need players! It's that simple. They gave up a lot get Schaub, this is great way to get that ground back. They need it! They have very little invested in Rosenfels.

The idea of a competent backup is important in the NFL, but the Texans are not at that point where it really makes a difference to this team when it comes to wins.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read