Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Could Sage be auditioning as trade bait the rest of season?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Do any of you guys think that if Sage plays very well to close out the season we will receive offers for our backup qb in the offseason for a team in need of a veteran qb that can step in and start right away?

I wouldn't want to trade Sage but if a team offers the right price it would be hard not to. I mean, if he plays well enough over these last 4 games where a team like the Bears offer their 2nd round pick (ala AJ Feely to Dolphins a few years back) then it would be hard not to take that deal even though reliable backup QBs are hard to find and Schaub's durability issues in 06.

Given the problem Schaub has staying on the field because of continually getting hurt, I would imagine the Texans price for Sage is escalating as we
post to this thread.

I wouldn't trade Sage right now. We need a competent backup QB in 2008, especially in light of injury concerns with Schaub and the fact that we have yet to get consistent pass protection from week to week.

Do any of you guys think that if Sage plays very well to close out the season we will receive offers for our backup qb in the offseason for a team in need of a veteran qb that can step in and start right away?

I wouldn't want to trade Sage but if a team offers the right price it would be hard not to. I mean, if he plays well enough over these last 4 games where a team like the Bears offer their 2nd round pick (ala AJ Feely to Dolphins a few years back) then it would be hard not to take that deal even though reliable backup QBs are hard to find and Schaub's durability issues in 06.

That's why I wouldn't. Schaub seems (I may be wrong, you can't guage a hit from the stands) but he seems to be more fragile than we thought. The last thing we want is to get caught without a backup right now. But if he has a shot to start somewhere, I would love for him to get a shot too. He's earned it. ---Only if we get a second rounder or better though.....otherwise there will be riots!

I agree that we shouldn't trade Sage, but everyone has their price and to me Sage's price is a 2nd round pick. That's high for a backup qb imo (yes, I know we traded twice that for Schaub!!!) and I doubt most teams would go for it (unless Sage plays lights out the rest of the season) but its high because I think that's how valuable he is to this football team.

Who do you guys see as possibilities to make this trade? IMO:

Bears, Jets, Falcons, 49ers, Bills, Ravens, Chiefs, and Panthers are all gonna be in the market for a QB next season and are therefore all in the running for our backup QB who is gonna light up the league these last 4 games!!!

as many holes as we need to fill right now I wouldn't say trading Sage for a few draft picks wouldn't be a bad idea. Kubiak beleives in a building a team through the draft and what better way than to get more draft picks. This coming draft should have alot of good prospects. If houston can pick up someones #1 & #2 picks in next draft or even 2 #2's I'd say it'd be worth it. They can even pick up a QB in the draft to train up.

There's lots of talent to be had in the 2nd round of an NFL draft. Sure you can get your busts like any other but i'd gladly risk getting a Tony Hollings or Jabar Gaffney to get the next DeMeco Ryans or Marcus Mcneil (pro bowl LT Chargers 2nd round same draft).

That's why I wouldn't. Schaub seems (I may be wrong, you can't guage a hit from the stands) but he seems to be more fragile than we thought. The last thing we want is to get caught without a backup right now. But if he has a shot to start somewhere, I would love for him to get a shot too. He's earned it. ---Only if we get a second rounder or better though.....otherwise there will be riots!

FIrst off, Matt's two injuries were late helmet hits, one from Haynesworth in the last Titan's game, and the other really late hit from that other *****, who I can't think of his name, who should be suspended. That doesn't make him fragile. AND it wasn't the lines fault.

Now SUnday, Odom should have never been able to get to Matt. That was a missed block. Still doesn't make him fragile.

As far as Sage, that would be a big loss if he left.

There's lots of talent to be had in the 2nd round of an NFL draft. Sure you can get your busts like any other but i'd gladly risk getting a Tony Hollings or Jabar Gaffney to get the next DeMeco Ryans or Marcus Mcneil (pro bowl LT Chargers 2nd round same draft).

Jabar Gaffney is not a bust.

He is doing very well with the Patriots. He caught the game winning TD last night!

See what kind of numbers he can put up. If he can stay healthy and put up numbers like Schaub, then trading him would be stupid.

Give him a chance to beat out Fragile Matty in the offseason, and go from there.

Given the problem Schaub has staying on the field because of continually getting hurt, I would imagine the Texans price for Sage is escalating as we
post to this thread.

I think upgrading along the o-line would help this tremendously, but I know that is a minority viewpoint in Houston.

Gaffney was a bust with Houston.

Your point is meaningless.

Gaffney has proved he can play in the league.

Which proves it wasn't Gaffney that was the issue but the Texans organization it's self. The guy has made some clutch catches for the Patriots (AFC Championship game and last night).

The Eagles even cut Gaffney and the Patriots picked him up several weeks later after he cleared waivers.

Point is, that is how you build a team. Through the draft and plugging in guys from the scrap heap.

The Texans are going to have a hard time building a core putting all their chips down in trades and the free agency market.

I digress, Gaffney is not a bust...

The Texans probably should consider trading Rosenfels for another draft pick.

They need as many draft picks as possible to build a solid team.

I just don't see the point in keeping two QBs while your still hovering around 5 or 7 wins for the year every year when you can get decent value and plug glaring holes in the personnel roster.

The best way to improve the offensive line for the long-term is through the draft.

Bottom line, having two QBs is an unneeded luxury at this time with the current roster. It's overkill that isn't going to improve the overall record.

Unless somebody is going to overpay, absolutely no reason to consider trading Rosenfels. Essentially, the Texans would create a significant hole, back-up QB, to maybe filling some other need. Classic robbing Peter to pay Paul or borrowing your way out of debt, etc.

Who do you guys see as possibilities to make this trade? IMO:

Bears, Jets, Falcons, 49ers, Bills, Ravens, Chiefs, and Panthers are all gonna be in the market for a QB next season and are therefore all in the running for our backup QB who is gonna light up the league these last 4 games!!!

Why would these guys give up any draft picks when they can get the number 1 draft pick David Carr for nothing.. :)

Do any of you guys think that if Sage plays very well to close out the season we will receive offers for our backup qb in the offseason for a team in need of a veteran qb that can step in and start right away?....

I don't think we'll be shopping him, but if it's a sellers market - who knows. As mentioned above, possibly bring in a youngin' that slipped in the draft. I think we have the competent FO to find the gems now - at least in comparison to CC's factory.

Considering that, over the course of this season, Sage has come in and competently played football...almost as frequently as Schaub had, I would say he has value. That said, I have been watching Shane Boyd and he does have potential. If he could come in a play as well as Sage, I would be open to snagging a draft pick or two for Sage. There are a lot of teams that could use a QB, namely Atlanta.

Considering that, over the course of this season, Sage has come in and competently played football...almost as frequently as Schaub had, I would say he has value. That said, I have been watching Shane Boyd and he does have potential. If he could come in a play as well as Sage, I would be open to snagging a draft pick or two for Sage. There are a lot of teams that could use a QB, namely Atlanta.

Where have you been watching Boyd?

I hope they can keep Boyd in the system for awhile. It's always nice to have a developmental player waiting in the wings. Who knows, it could be a Romo situation. On that note, I wonder what really happened with Zabransky?

Since the only thing that Schaub has proved this season is his potential, and considering the state our offensive line is in, I think getting rid of Sage is about the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard of. Before we go getting rid of Sage, let’s make it through a season with a decent O-line, Schaub standing on two feet, and someone besides Dayne running the ball. And yes, Dayne's been doing well, but do you really want this guy as our permanent starter?

Otherwise when Schaub goes out, we have NO chance. At least with Sage we do stand a chance of winning, if for no other reason he’s familiar with the players and the system.

Only one reason I would get rid of Sage, and that's (during the draft) to get a draft pick to specifically draft a QB on the spot, which ain't happening since we have a large invenstment in Schaub. For now, I thank the Gods of football we have Sage.

Since the only thing that Schaub has proved this season is his potential, and considering the state our offensive line is in, I think getting rid of Sage is about the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard of. Before we go getting rid of Sage, let’s make it through a season with a decent O-line, Schaub standing on two feet, and someone besides Dayne running the ball. And yes, Dayne's been doing well, but do you really want this guy as our permanent starter?

Otherwise when Schaub goes out, we have NO chance. At least with Sage we do stand a chance of winning, if for no other reason he’s familiar with the players and the system.

Only one reason I would get rid of Sage, and that's (during the draft) to get a draft pick to specifically draft a QB on the spot, which ain't happening since we have a large invenstment in Schaub. For now, I thank the Gods of football we have Sage.

I don't think getting good value out of Sage is a such a stupid idea.

There are so many holes on this team and most importantly, the Texans need to build a core of players through the draft.

I don't see how keeping two QBs on the roster like this is going to translate to more than 6 or 7 wins.

The Texans need draft picks, it's that simple.

If the Texans were knocking on the door for a playoff run, I could see holding onto to Sage. A 2nd or 3rd round pick probably would be a slam dunk for me to trade Sage.

So amazing the Texans will drop two 2nd round draft picks and slide two spots in the first round for an unproven QB but would be hesitant to trading a journeyman QB they got for nothing. That just doesn't make sense to me. Being stacked at the QB position considering the state of the roster also doesn't make sense to me either.

Being stacked at the QB position considering the state of the roster also doesn't make sense to me either.

Having a good backup QB is gold. But how much trade value is Sage worth? Is he worth a 2nd round pick? Or more? I suppose if we got a 2nd rounder and a 3rd or 4th round pick, yeah. But then what are we going to do for a backup? We'd then have to use a pick on a decent QB prospect, or get a QB in FA. Unless we end up with another good backup PLUS a decent pick, I just don't see it.

And I didn't imply anyone was stupid for saying something different, after all, I've said some pretty stupid things here myself. I just think the idea of giving up a solid backup QB for an unproven draft choice with nothing else gained in the trade doesn't make sense to me.

Only problem with trading Sage is we don't want to wind up like Atlanta, starting someone like Harrington, epsecially with Matt's history

I don't see how keeping two QBs on the roster like this is going to translate to more than 6 or 7 wins.

Having a backup QB in case your starter goes down is not a "luxury" it's "competent roster management".

If Sage demands starter money one year, then yeah, we should shop him around. He is signed to a 4 year (beginning March '06) 7 million dollar deal, so we won't even have to worry about that for a little while.

Build through the draft yes, trade your veteran backup QB who knows the scheme and the players around him? No no and no. That's just plain silly.

Gaffney was a bust with Houston.

Gaffney was never a bust. First of all, he was a 2nd round pick. Hard to call anyone not drafted in the first round a "bust". Secondly, he didn't have a real QB throwing the ball to him until he got to New England.

Having a backup QB in case your starter goes down is not a "luxury" it's "competent roster management".

If Sage demands starter money one year, then yeah, we should shop him around. He is signed to a 4 year (beginning March '06) 7 million dollar deal, so we won't even have to worry about that for a little while.

Build through the draft yes, trade your veteran backup QB who knows the scheme and the players around him? No no and no. That's just plain silly.

It is a luxury considering the state of affiars. Having Sage as the backup doesn't even mean a. 500 record.

The Texans need players! It's that simple. They gave up a lot get Schaub, this is great way to get that ground back. They need it! They have very little invested in Rosenfels.

The idea of a competent backup is important in the NFL, but the Texans are not at that point where it really makes a difference to this team when it comes to wins.

Gaffney was never a bust. First of all, he was a 2nd round pick. Hard to call anyone not drafted in the first round a "bust". Secondly, he didn't have a real QB throwing the ball to him until he got to New England.

wow, mcnabb is not a real qb?

I've seen him play in college, I've seen him practice, and I'm pretty sure I saw him play during the preseason.

You did see him in preseason if you watched the Arizona game. He was their 3rd or 4th string QB and he played sometime in the 4th quarter. When he was cut by Arizona the Texans picked him up because they remembered him in that game. He stood out as a good developmental QB. :throwball:

Unless somebody is going to overpay, absolutely no reason to consider trading Rosenfels. Essentially, the Texans would create a significant hole, back-up QB, to maybe filling some other need. Classic robbing Peter to pay Paul or borrowing your way out of debt, etc.

I have to agree with you on this AT. Unless a team is so desperate and would give us 3 or 4 picks, I wouldn't even think about trading Sage away. Now if Schaub was someone who never got hurt, and we had a 3rd string QB that could step in like Sage, it would be a different story. But at this time, it doesn't make any sense to do this. It would be like taking a step backwards. If we're going to get extra draft picks, it will probably come by trading back during the draft like they did this past draft when they traded back in the 4th and picked up an extra 5th rounder. JMHO!

It definitely is a luxury now that I think about it. Why? There are 32 teams, so with backups, there are 64 guys that could play QB in a regular season game in the NFL in a given week.

That is why there is a premium on quality backups.

At some point, backups are going to get to walk due to how free agency work. Which is why Atlanta delt Schaub.

Better to get value before that happens.

I don't know if Rosenfels is in high demand or if he will be at the end of the year.

But, I would rather have a young rookie starting at linebacker, offensive line, or defensive back, than having a player that is going to riding the bench.

Like I said too many holes on this team...

How long is his current contract w/ the Texans ?! When does he become an UFA ?

At this point Im keeping Sage on the roster ..... The O-line still blows and until this team puts some top tier talent in the OL .... Schaub will get some vacation time in early .... I want a back-up QB who can step in and get the job done .

Bad-The-Van-Puke anyone ?! Thought not .

:brickwall:

Memo to Richard Smith : Fix the OL , no more 6th round favors , no more UDFA garbage . Spend some damn money and fix whats been ailing this team from day one .
/blue in the face

Just in case you are dyslexic or retarded whatever was wrong with that !d!07 you replaced as GM ..... LO ehT xiF

:gun:

It definitely is a luxury now that I think about it. Why? There are 32 teams, so with backups, there are 64 guys that could play QB in a regular season game in the NFL in a given week.

At some point, backups are going to get to walk due to how free agency work. Which is why Atlanta delt Schaub.

Better to get value before that happens.

I don't know if Rosenfels is in high demand or if he will be at the end of the year.

But, I would rather have a young rookie starting at linebacker, offensive line, or defensive back, than having a player that is going to riding the bench.

Like I said too many holes on this team...

1. Sage is signed to a 4 year deal that began in '06. So he's signed through '9. He's costing the Texans 1.6 mil in cap space. That is not premium money.

2. The reason ATL wanted Schaub is because he knew that teams would pay him a lot more money than what he was making in ATL and it was his contract year. Say it with me, contract year.

Now imagine this will you. Schaub goes down due to a late hit from some cheapshot artist. And out comes. . . Quincy Porter, or Bradlee Van Pelt under center. You would cry, I would cry, and the 1 draft pick that we would get for dealing Sage (Because no team is going to give us multiple picks for him) would also cry.

I don't see how you think having Sage on our team is keeping us below .500 when in reality, it's pretty much keeping us from going any lower. He has stepped in to no less than 3 games this year, and he started 1 and won it too? You're wanting to trade away our insurance policy for draft picks. If we did trade Sage we would absolutely have to spend the only draft pick we would get for him, on. . . another QB. It wouldn't work, and the only way it would happen is if somebody would be goofy enough to try to trade multiple (2+) draft picks to get him.

hollywood_texan said:

What does that even mean? Lots of teams carry 3 QB's on their roster because the starter is old (Garcia and the Bucs) or they are in the middle of a QB carousel right now (Jackson, Minnesota).

If people are knocking down the door to get Sage then yeah, trade him for 2 or 3 picks. But I know that's not going to be the case this offseason. Dealing him, just to deal him is such a horrible way of shooting yourself in the foot, it's Casserly-like.

And here's a question I pose to you, would you rather have a young rookie taking snaps under center? Because that is what would happen if Schaub ever got hurt in a game (which has happened a lot so far), and we had dealt Sage for a single draft pick.

I just can't believe that this thread got started about Sage of all people, when who we should be shopping around for draft picks is Anthony Weaver. He takes up more cap space, produces less, and has more people to take his place than Sage does. He fits all the criteria for trade that Sage doesn't.

I don't see how you think having Sage on our team is keeping us below .500 when in reality, it's pretty much keeping us from going any lower.

The Texans need players, it's that simple. Keeping Sage isn't going to put the Texans over .500, if you wanna look at it from that perspective.

I understand the logic behind having a quality backup. In some circumstances, it is good to have, but it is a luxury the Texans don't need if they get good value.

Schaub and Sage cannot play at the same time. I would much rather have an impact player that will play every game. Meaning, the Texans could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I think the team would be a lot better off if they had a rookie sensation starting at linebacker, offensive line, or defensive back in place of Sage sitting on the bench coming in on spot duty.

Furthermore, whenever there is an injury on the offensive line and defensive backfield, we are picking guys off the street while being stacked at the QB position. The Texans need players, which is what I think is more important than carrying 2 QBs.

Also, Sage's contract is also an advantage because he locked up for a small amount of cap hit for the team that acquires him.

It would be in the Texans best interest to pursue the possibility of trading Sage if does well while Schaub is out and there is legit interest in obtaining his services.

That's all I am saying...

And here's a question I pose to you, would you rather have a young rookie taking snaps under center? Because that is what would happen if Schaub ever got hurt in a game (which has happened a lot so far), and we had dealt Sage for a single draft pick.

When I look at who the Texans have at RB, offensive line, and defensive backs, the answer to your question is yes. I would be more than happy to run that risk if it means drafting a rookie sensation to fill one of those holes.

It just amazes what the Texans will do for the QB position, but just ignore other positions.

The issue with trading Sage is that someone would have to value him as a starter, not a quality reserve in order to get enough value to make losing him worthwhile. In essence, a veteran back-up QB, familiar with your system has more value to the team he is on than in the open market. In a lot of ways, he is like the dependable, paid for 2nd car. You don't realize the value until you either have to use the thing more than expected or you don't have one.

The issue with trading Sage is that someone would have to value him as a starter, not a quality reserve in order to get enough value to make losing him worthwhile. In essence, a veteran back-up QB, familiar with your system has more value to the team he is on than in the open market. In a lot of ways, he is like the dependable, paid for 2nd car. You don't realize the value until you either have to use the thing more than expected or you don't have one.

I hear what you are saying and really don't disagree with you or the other people I have responded to.

It's really a matter of perspective and analysis of the current situation regarding the roster.

You probably are right, Sage probably has more value to the Texans than any other team. It's one thing to be a quality backup QB in the NFL, it's another to be a legit starter learning a new system.

I would explore the opportunity though, that's for sure, and try to Casserly some other GM to the Texans benefit.

Back