Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair is spending the $$

McNair hasnt really shelled out the big bucks for coaches yet. The reason?

Probably because he has 20 additional contracts of players to pay because every gets hurt so freaking much.

I mean jeez, at this rate, it'd be cheaper for him to spend money on titanium pads or something than keep signing new blood

Seriously though, I imagine the constant barrage of new contracts must get expensive in a hurry
Old 12-03-2007   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair is spending the $$

Houston Texans are documented as being one of the more profitable franchises in the NFL. I don't think this is hurting him.

Bob will find a way to make sure he keeps costs down. Don't worry about that.
Old 12-03-2007   #3
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

You make a very good point. Is it illegal to insert injury clauses into the contracts? If not, it would be worth looking into.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
McNair hasnt really shelled out the big bucks for coaches yet. The reason?

Probably because he has 20 additional contracts of players to pay because every gets hurt so freaking much.

I mean jeez, at this rate, it'd be cheaper for him to spend money on titanium pads or something than keep signing new blood

Seriously though, I imagine the constant barrage of new contracts must get expensive in a hurry
Gary Kubiak has said repeatedly and publicly stated that McNair gives him all the resources that he asks for.

I think that Kubiak got the coaches he wanted at the time that they are available.

I do not think money is the issue, I think the following are:

1. Timing. To get good assistant coaches, you need to be looking at the right time.

2. Situation. If you are a talented assistant NFL coach, the Texans might not be your first destination. Little tradition, little prime time, no winning histories. You can kill your career going to the wrong situation.

3. Being niiiiiiiice/wanting to emulate Rooney and not Snyder. Bob McNair admires organizations that do things "the right way" and do not do things in a flavor of the week, lots of coaching turnover way. He likes stability in the organization, and appreciate what the Steelers have been able to do over the years with very little head coaching turnover.

He is a very niiiiiiiiice man. He wants his organization to be run in a niiiiiiice way. So sometimes coaches and assistant coaches stay longer than they probably should. Usually people leave in a way that saves face.

I don't think that it is bad to be niiiiiiiice. Often people flock to organizations that tries to treat their people like people. It's probably one of the things that helps them from having catastrophic locker room blowups in bad times. I just think that you can be niiiiiiice, while holding people accountable. It's much better than the Texans staff massaging the assistant coaches bios to make them sound like their units are performing better than they are.
Old 12-03-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2. Situation. If you are a talented assistant NFL coach, the Texans might not be your first destination.
I'm thinking this has a lot more to do with it than we'd like to believe. Some places are just career killers, so it would not surprise me if a perpetually losing franchise like ours is considered one of those destinations.
Old 12-03-2007   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Last time I checked, the LOVE of money has driven many to roll the dice.

I really cannot agree with the assessment that it's possible a coach wouldn't come here because it's a career-killing move.

With THAT logic, Gary Kubiak wouldn't have come here.

Kubiak also told McNair that David Carr was fixable. Oops.

If we have learned anything, it's that Gary Kubiak will try and say all the right things. What else is he going to say? "I don't get a big enough allowance from my daddy..."

Michael Corleone said "If history has taught us anything, it's that anybody will coach any NFL team for the right amount of money..."
Old 12-04-2007   #7
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 127 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I really cannot agree with the assessment that it's possible a coach wouldn't come here because it's a career-killing move.

If we have learned anything, it's that Gary Kubiak will try and say all the right things. What else is he going to say? "I don't get a big enough allowance from my daddy..."

Michael Corleone said "If history has taught us anything, it's that anybody will coach any NFL team for the right amount of money..."

Well believe it! Maybe not a head coach but good coordinators are often pursued by more than one team and they always want a team with the best oppurtunity for them to move up in the coaching ranks. Thats why teams like Tampa Bay etc had to get young diamonds in the rough like Tony Dungy was when they hired him. One of the biggest problems with coachs us they are just as arrogant if not more so than the players! Kubiak did not tell McNair he could fix Carr just to get the job, he was foolish enough to think as a OC and so called QB guru he could corect Carr's issues.

As far as any coach will coach any team for the right mount of money thats just foolish! Go offer a boat load of money to Cower and he will still pass to take a job in Baltimore or Carloina rather than take on a team with an overall lack of talent liek the Texans have.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Gary Kubiak came here because he is from Houston and would love Houston to having a winning team just about more than any other Houstonian. His family comes to a lot of Texans events.

It's not a coincidence that the Texans get free agents looking here that are from this part of the world or otherwise like living in the South.

A lot of people believed that David Carr was fixable. Unfortunately, Kubiak could only look at tape and didn't know that Carr was a nicklehead. He had to make the decision to pick up his contract before he ever could work with him.

Casserly wasn't going to admit the nickleheadness or that Carr had lost the locker room, and consultant Dan Reeves told managment that "David Carr was not the problem." The early 2004 tape on Carr (pre-Denver game) showed some promise, and the 2005 tape was mostly useless because of the Pendry crap.

Actually, it is probably Gary Kubiak that got David Carr his money from the Panthers. He made Carr look better than he was. As inconsistent as Carr was last year with the Texans, with the Panthers he has been a complete, mickey mouse hands freak show.

(BTW, I don't want this to turn into a Carr thread. I am just trying to make sure that the history isn't told from a revisionist point of view. There were all sorts of people, even after 2006 who were saying that David Carr wasn't done, that he just needed to get away from the Texans. Kubiak, after working with him in 2006, obviously wasn't someone who had that opinion).

If you are a really good coach, people will throw buckets of money at you. If you have buckets of money from two teams--one with tradition and one without, where would you go?

Even when Pittsburgh stinks, they are still a franchise people want to go to because of the size of their fanbase. From a tradition standpoint, the Texans have a difficult time of it because the only way they are going to get any positive attention nationally is if they start winning.

Chicken and eggs.

The biggest positives that the Texans have is:

1. Bob McNair is seen nationally as a good owner who gives his coaches resources (unlike Bidwell's repuation).
2. Great facilities.
3. No state income tax.
4. Lots of good players come from Texas and would like to return to Texas.

The biggest negatives are:

1. No winning seasons
2. Little tradition being the most recent franchise
3. No national exposure
4. Potentially coach killing job--go from promising guy to career suicide
Old 12-04-2007   #9
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

where do you keep coming up with this stuff? most people on this board thought that kubiak was the best coach available. mcnair went out and got him. you think sherman is cheap? if mcnair was trying to save money why get him. what abour reeves, didnt we hire him as a advisor. thats not even a real job. mcnair was just paying him for his oppinion. why do that if all you care about is the money?

you just keep making these crazy statements with nothing to back it up and we are supposed to believe you. and just cause kubes made a mistake thinking carr could be fixed doesnt mean he was lying. just means he was wrong.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
A lot of people believed that David Carr was fixable. Unfortunately, Kubiak could only look at tape and didn't know that Carr was a nicklehead. He had to make the decision to pick up his contract before he ever could work with him.
Actually, I think it was more about Kubiak agreeing to McNair's already-made-decision to keep his buddy on the team. I honestly don't think Kubiak had much say in the matter at the time. Yeah, he's "guilty by association" because he's the head coach and the contract was signed with him at the helm, but beyond that, I put that one all on our owner.

As far as coaches coming here, I think you're right on the money with your takes. The proof is in the pudding, and our pudding does not have much in the way of top-notched coaches.
Old 12-04-2007   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Actually, I think it was more about Kubiak agreeing to McNair's already-made-decision to keep his buddy on the team.
yeah i get the feeling D.C. and Bob "Bowel Movement" McNair used to sit around the fireplace up at stonerside and read 1 Corinthians.
Old 12-04-2007   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Actually, I think it was more about Kubiak agreeing to McNair's already-made-decision to keep his buddy on the team. I honestly don't think Kubiak had much say in the matter at the time. Yeah, he's "guilty by association" because he's the head coach and the contract was signed with him at the helm, but beyond that, I put that one all on our owner.

As far as coaches coming here, I think you're right on the money with your takes. The proof is in the pudding, and our pudding does not have much in the way of top-notched coaches.
I think there is some of that.

But also, if Casserly and Reeves are saying Carr isn't the problem, what coach with a quarterbacking background would think he couldn't fix him? Plummer was a smaller project than Carr pre-Kubiak, but was still a project.

The problem that the Texans had is that its beginnings were so messed up that it was hard to distinguish the bad from the bad bad from the bad bad bad. That Carr missed so few games made it difficult to see what the team looked like without him.
Old 12-04-2007   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
The problem that the Texans had is that its beginnings were so messed up that it was hard to distinguish the bad from the bad bad from the bad bad bad. That Carr missed so few games made it difficult to see what the team looked like without him.
We say that, but yet there were knowledgable guys on the board that saw the problems years before the team would admit to it. Heck, we know a couple of folks who've been right on the money about Carr since I've been here, and they don't do it for a living.

So we have two options to believe:

1. McNair made the decision 100% and Kubiak was too new/weak of a HC to demand anything at that point.

2. McNair made the call in agreement with Kubiak, in which case he a) cannot evaluate QB talent as advertised, and/or b) has an ego that believes he can fix anything and was unwilling to believe that DC's problems were beyond his scope.
Old 12-04-2007   #14
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
We say that, but yet there were knowledgable guys on the board that saw the problems years before the team would admit to it. Heck, we know a couple of folks who've been right on the money about Carr since I've been here, and they don't do it for a living.

1. McNair made the decision 100% and Kubiak was too new/weak of a HC to demand anything at that point.

2. McNair made the call in agreement with Kubiak, in which case he a) cannot evaluate QB talent as advertised, and/or b) has an ego that believes he can fix anything and was unwilling to believe that DC's problems were beyond his scope.
3. It's water under the bridge and doesn't make a difference to the current state of the franchise.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
3. It's water under the bridge and doesn't make a difference to the current state of the franchise.
Actually it has a ton to do with the current state of the franshise and it is something that you hope the owner or coach learned from and doesn't fall into the next time. They go hand and hand as to the workings of the franchise and how decisons are made. You can't go back and fix it but you sure hope they fixed THEIR problems in evaluating situations. Some owners become a little more "football savvy" as they go
Old 12-04-2007   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:

Or 3. McNair had two "football guys" in Casserly and Reeves that said Carr wasn't the problem, and Kubiak had nothing but tape to judge DC's performance and didn't know what was in Carr's noggin. Tape of bad quarterbacking, bad line play, bad schemes, bad wide receiver play, bad coaching, bad just about everything. Mostly unusable tape--stuff that would make it hard to evaluate anyone legitimately and tape doesn't show a player's work skills. Kubiak was used to coaching up QBs, and figured he could make DC a good quarterback while using his #1 pick on a different position(s).

And he made David Carr good enough to get more money in the offseason from the Panthers, where Carr promptly turned into a pile of benched goo.

Everybody knew that Carr had issues, but I believe it was a conventional football move to think that you could fix Carr and use your pick on something else. That you could work with a guy from February on, instead of waiting until the draft and getting a rookie.

But yeah, this runs the risk of derailing the thread. McNair and money is not the issue. Whether we can get the people we want with that money is a different story, or whether McNair will hold coaching staff folks accountable or being niiiiiiice and staying the course.
Old 12-04-2007   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
While true from certain angles, 29-63 is water under the bridge, too. Yet the losing tradition continues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Actually it has a ton to do with the current state of the franshise and it is something that you hope the owner or coach learned from and doesn't fall into the next time. They go hand and hand as to the workings of the franchise and how decisons are made. You can't go back and fix it but you sure hope they fixed THEIR problems in evaluating situations. Some owners become a little more "football savvy" as they go
What H'Frog said.

Learn from the past, plan for the future, but live the present. Sometimes I think they try too hard and mix these up.

And good food for thought, TC. Unless the parties involved write memoirs, we will probably never know the truth of the matter and will forever be fuel for speculation.
Old 12-04-2007   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

THe point of this thread, contrary to my original post (*doh*) was supposed to be a look into how much extra dough McNair has doled out this year compared to everyone else

With as many players on IR as we have, it must get expensive in a hurry
Old 12-04-2007   #19
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3214 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gary Kubiak has said repeatedly and publicly stated that McNair gives him all the resources that he asks for.

I think that Kubiak got the coaches he wanted at the time that they are available.

I do not think money is the issue, I think the following are:

1. Timing. To get good assistant coaches, you need to be looking at the right time.

2. Situation. If you are a talented assistant NFL coach, the Texans might not be your first destination. Little tradition, little prime time, no winning histories. You can kill your career going to the wrong situation.

3. Being niiiiiiiice/wanting to emulate Rooney and not Snyder. Bob McNair admires organizations that do things "the right way" and do not do things in a flavor of the week, lots of coaching turnover way. He likes stability in the organization, and appreciate what the Steelers have been able to do over the years with very little head coaching turnover.

He is a very niiiiiiiiice man. He wants his organization to be run in a niiiiiiice way. So sometimes coaches and assistant coaches stay longer than they probably should. Usually people leave in a way that saves face.

I don't think that it is bad to be niiiiiiiice. Often people flock to organizations that tries to treat their people like people. It's probably one of the things that helps them from having catastrophic locker room blowups in bad times. I just think that you can be niiiiiiice, while holding people accountable. It's much better than the Texans staff massaging the assistant coaches bios to make them sound like their units are performing better than they are.
I think someone needs to get you a new keyboard for christmas... your "I" key seems to be sticking....

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #20
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Doesn't help when the water is 5 feet over the bridge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read