Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fix the DAMN LINE!!!!

Its easy to sit there and get excited durring the game. We put on little two or 3 game streaks where we play well and we lose our minds. But there are sum fundamental problems with the way this team is built.

First We MUST fix our O-line. I keep starting to say this about midway through the year, then I drink the kool-aid like everyone else when we put a band-aid on it. Safety, Corner, RB, LB... all concerns. Nothing like OL though. I don't think it starts with the players either. We go pay the best OL coach in the industry. It starts there. I don't want a guy who is going to become a great OC there. I don't want a guy who is going to be a great HC. I want a OL coach. A guy who lives and breathes OL. That's where it starts. Then you give him whatever he wants. If there is a FA out there... sign him. If he says draft someone... draft him.

I can live with getting beat deep. But I swear if I have to watch one more QB get knocked silly....

Call Schaub,Carr,Sage, or whom ever you like soft. Call them injury prone. Fine. But every QB we are rolling out there is like a sacrificial lamb. Schaub was ABSOLUTELY tee'd off on twice. I wish we could say we "barely impeeded their progress. But that's not the case. We blow assignment after assignment.

It starts with the line.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fix the DAMN LINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I don't think it starts with the players either. We go pay the best OL coach in the industry. It starts there.
That just might be Mike Munchak, but he's with the TITANS.
Old 12-02-2007   #3
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
How true, and how bad does it sting that he is flying those colors. Hell of a player/coach.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is my solution for the O.L.
Hire Alex Gibbs
Sign Alan Faneca
Draft the best L.T. available
See how easy it was to fix the O.L. after 7 years of trying. Did anyone see Faneca manhandle the Bengals tonight it was a thing of beauty (nasty).
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #5
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Here is my solution for the O.L.
Hire Alex Gibbs
Sign Alan Faneca
Draft the best L.T. available
See how easy it was to fix the O.L. after 7 years of trying. Did anyone see Faneca manhandle the Bengals tonight it was a thing of beauty (nasty).
You may not be that far off. Cleveland signed Eric Steinbach this past year and then spent their first round pick on a starting LT. It has helped them immensely.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Russ Grimm - Cardinals Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Unfortunately, you can only take another team's co-ordinator if you promote him (or he leaves/is fired). Thus, we can't procure a current O-line coach from another team without some finese/luck.
Old 12-03-2007   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Unfortunately, you can only take another team's co-ordinator if you promote him (or he leaves/is fired). Thus, we can't procure a current O-line coach from another team without some finese/luck.
You mean like assistant OC/ol coach?

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm with you.
Old 12-03-2007   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
True. We'd have to make him assistant head coach if he was already the offensive coordinator or make him O/C if he was the O-line coach.

Other teams would only to let him move to take a step up, not just to get more money.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #11
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, the most embarrassing thing was watching the Titans get pressure on the QB on the last play of the game rushing 3 D-Linemen against the Texans' 5 O-Linemen. That was just plain pathetic and a statement of how inept the O-Line is.
Old 12-03-2007   #12
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I would say that we should make a move at Flozell Adams for LT in the offseason, and then we should draft a LG. I think McKinney will return next season, which is good enough for me at center. The right side of our line is actually pretty solid, it's the left that keeps getting people killed. Salaam and Pitts just aren't cutting it.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll co-sign.

The Texans need to draft LT in the first round. Jake Long (Michigan) or Sam Baker (USC) will hopefully be there when we're up.

IIRC, I think that Faneca might be from Houston. If that's the case, then we might be in the running. But I highly doubt it. He'll be looking to go to a winner and that ain't us.

I think our guard situation is adequate. If we can re-sign Weary, we'll be all right. Studdard and White should be successful with the right coach.

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer doesn't play again.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ironic that this is how we feel when we're having our best year ever in terms of sacks allowed. Not disagreeing, and we all know why, but it's just ironic. This year is what the O-line has been waiting for, and they do look better, but the QBs really are getting rushed too much.

I wonder how different it might have been if McKinney had stayed healthy and our running game was better.

I've been impressed with how Salaam has handled things, considering I had no faith in him at all at first, and I do hope Spencer comes back, but I think we need to draft a LT in the first round. Lord knows an extra LT wouldn't be hard to get our money's worth for if we wound up not needed him. How many young, first-round LTs are available for trade in this league? NONE. That's why we gotta draft one so bad.

Let's not forget about RBs and secondary though. Those 14 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter--that's what I really hate to see.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on board with all of this. An interesting article about LT's can be found here. It's mostly an article talking about Bills LT Jason Peters (who's apparently a pretty good LT that I never knew about), but it includes a few graphs showing all NFL starting LT salaries.

I think LT and then C is probably our weakest position, although now with both Weary and White down, you can really make a case for saying the entire line could get positions filled and we would be improved. Say we get a guard, tackle and center. I would probably want to get the center or guard in free agency if we really have to go that route. There's already a few lists of free agents, but I'll list em here:

Footballs Future.com I have never used, or heard about, this site before this season so. .

KFFL's site This website is the best place to get breaking news stories. Sort of like a clearinghouse for everything about football, and football players.

The Red Zone OT OG and C. Good football site.

I really couldn't even tell you who the best Center would be, but looking at the KFFL list, I guess a few names could be Seth McKinney, Casey Wiegmann, and after that it's getting pretty murky.

At Guard it'd have to be Alan Faneca. He will want buttloads of money, and has quite a few years on him. He will probably be real good for another year or 2 and then be a decent starter for probably another 2 after that. He will more than likely not be signed with the Steelers after this year as he has expressed interest in leaving. He wants a huge contract. Ryan Lilja is a name to think about, although I think the Colts will retain him. Then maybe Floyd Womack with the Seahawks, but again I think he'll end up being retained with how well Seattle is doing.

And at Tackle it'd probably be Flozell Adams. He will more than likely get a pretty nice contract if they go all the way this year. Then you've got Max Starks who is coming off of a knee injury. Steelers will probably resign him if they don't resign Faneca I'm sure. But he could be interesting. Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton could be worth a look, but remember, these guys should definitely not be the talent we are looking to come right in and let us dominate.

So that's my overview of FA. I don't really think that we should pay big money to anybody this year, because the people who would be worth big money, are a little on the "used" side. I still think that we should really only get a few fill in's for depth and really look to the draft for getting our big names.

We've all thrown around names for the draft, and this website has a great forum where there's lots of draft talk going on. I'm of the opinion we get a good LT in the draft (preferred in the 1st round, but what the heck, we seem to find good talent in the draft at all rounds), and a decent C in the later rounds.

The coaching thing I definitely do not have enough knowledge on NFL coaching staffs to really have an opinion on who to hire and whatnot. I wish we could get a combination of Indy's, Cleveland's, and Pittsburgh's offensive line coaches. Like Voltron, only with a whistle.

Last edited by b0ng; 12-03-2007 at 11:18 AM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read