Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2007   #21
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub - Have we seen enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Exactly.. so if we spread that out to the 7 games AJ missed.. we can say (from a statistical point of view) that if AJ hadnt gone down for 7 games, Schaub would have 16 TDs.
But that is my point, if Schaub was the savior of our franchise than he should have been able compensate with his play. It didn't happen.

Manning wins without Harrison, Brady wins with who ever is there.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #22
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
New guy, same number (8) same reults (losing). He might end up with more passing yards than Carr but he is 9 TD's and 9 INT's thus far. We have the best reciever in football and all Schaub has is 9 TD's?
whatever... most people can see hes a good qb thats still learning and improving
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #23
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
He's twice the QB Carr is but half the tough guy Carr is.
I like this observation. Bottom line is that Schaub has shown that he can play, but the problem is he is getting banged up every game. Same old story, different QB, lack of protection.
Old 12-02-2007   #24
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
whatever... most people can see hes a good qb thats still learning and improving
He is an average QB at this point who seems to keep getting hurt. He has only been sacked 17 times and has missed 3 games. If you can't depend on your QB staying healthy then this franchise will not ever improve.

Old 12-02-2007   #25
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztequila View Post
I like this observation. Bottom line is that Schaub has shown that he can play, but the problem is he is getting banged up every game. Same old story, different QB, lack of protection.
He has only been sacked 17 times.

Old 12-02-2007   #26
TexansMVP
Probowler

Passing statistic: Stat Link
2006 - Texans Ranked 27 out of 32 teams
2007 - Texans Ranked 6 out of 32 teams!!!

I think our QB is is doing pretty well for himself so far despite this being his first real year, our freak injuries, and anemic rushing attack for most of the season. Imagine our potential next year when we have some of these kinks worked out.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #27
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansMVP View Post

I think our QB is is doing pretty well for himself so far despite this being his first real year, our freak injuries, and anemic rushing attack for most of the season. Imagine our potential next year when we have some of these kinks worked out.
Sure we are the 6th ranked but all we have to show for it is 9 TD's and a 5-7 record.

Besides, right now that is not even my main beef, can he stay healthy?

Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2007   #28
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I genuinely think that Schaub can be a second tier QB (below Manning and Brady).

What this year raises questions about is whether he can survive 16+ games??
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #29
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I genuinely think that Schaub can be a second tier QB (below Manning and Brady).

What this year raises questions about is whether he can survive 16+ games??
Schaub is fine. People tend to forget he only had 2-3 starts in ATL, before this year. As for the injuries, I don't question just Schaub, but are whole team has suffered the injury bug, and not just this year. I question the Strength and conditioning coaches at times. Our team always seems to have more injuries than the other team. If we're going to have so many injuries, it put's our depth in question, and obviously we don't have the depth we need.
Old 12-02-2007   #30
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Who says Schaub has to be the "savior of the franchise"?

With all the pressing needs of this team, the quarterback spot is not high on my list of things that need to be addressed immediately. We have a quarterback that doesn't turtle up at the pressure, and keeps looking, and throwing, downfield. Is he perfect? No? Does he need to improve? Yes.

The thought of giving up on him after one season? Preposterous.

Quote:
You shouldnt have said "lets face facts" you should have said "lets force you to listen to my bad opinions"
Quote of the day, Grid. Quote of the day.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #31
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He has only been sacked 17 times.
and that is a testament to his quick decision-making and release than anything else... the o-line pretty much sucks

Quote:
Manning wins without Harrison
yeah and played terrible without them... 6 ints? etc.. and its not like we're comparable to the pats and colts talent wise and matt is holding us back

and whoever thinks matt's comp % is like DC's last yr is delusional

anyway this whole thread is ridiculous- schaub's play is near the bottom of things we should be concerned about
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #32
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Who says Schaub has to be the "savior of the franchise"?

With all the pressing needs of this team, the quarterback spot is not high on my list of things that need to be addressed immediately. We have a quarterback that doesn't turtle up at the pressure, and keeps looking, and throwing, downfield. Is he perfect? No? Does he need to improve? Yes.

The thought of giving up on him after one season? Preposterous.

Quote of the day, Grid. Quote of the day.
B/C there have only been two championships ever won with sub par QB's and that is Tampa and Baltimore. We are not even coming close to there kind of defensive play.

Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Patriots, Colts(both Baltimore and Indy), Steelers, Broncos, all have one thing in common, Hall of fame QB's that knew how to win and was the corner stone of there franchise.

Chris Chandler was a good QB, he couldn't stay healthy either.

Old 12-02-2007   #33
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansMVP View Post

and just to throw it out there Schaub is tied for 19th in TD passes. He is in the same company with Brian Griese, Damon Huard, and Chad Pennington.

Old 12-02-2007   #34
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
Schaub is fine. People tend to forget he only had 2-3 starts in ATL, before this year.
I don't think that is quite right. Some posters (not me in this case) questioned the Scaub deal when it was made because it was a lot to give up for a player with little more experience than a rookie. This opinion was frequently and sometimes vociferously condemned because Schaub had been on an NFL team some seasons. A lot of the time the dissenting posters were labeled as Carr or Vince lovers, usually erroneously.

I find it ironic that not only do the people who questioned Schaub's experience use it in his defense now, I also see it so many times that I think probably the peole who attacked those posters have changed their tune and use it too, which is good. It demonstrates the ability to learn.

Note: I'm not insinuating you (4Texans) held one opinion or other. I was just using your post as a jumping off point.

======================

Schaub's skills are the least of the Texans problems; his health might turn out to be more problematic.
Old 12-02-2007   #35
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
B/C there have only been two championships ever won with sub par QB's and that is Tampa and Baltimore. We are not even coming close to there kind of defensive play.

Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Patriots, Colts(both Baltimore and Indy), Steelers, Broncos, all have one thing in common, Hall of fame QB's that knew how to win and was the corner stone of there franchise.

Chris Chandler was a good QB, he couldn't stay healthy either.
So, you're ready to just give up on him after one season? Am I reading you right?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #36
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I don't think that is quite right. Some posters (not me in this case) questioned the Scaub deal when it was made becasue it was a lot to give up for a player with little more experience than a rookie. This opinion was frequently and sometimes vociferously condemned because Schaub had been on an NFL some seasons. A lot of the time the dissenting posters were labeled as Carr or Vince lovers, usually erroneously.

I find it ironic that not only do the people who questioned Schaub's experience use it in his defense now, I also see it so many times that I think probably the peole who attacked those posters have changed their tune and use it too, which is good. It demonstrates the ability to learn.

Note: I'm not insinuating you held one opinion or other. I was just using your post as a jumping off point.

======================

Schaub's skills are the least of the Texans problems; his health might turn out to be more problematic.
I didn't question the trade b/c something had to be done. I feel a lot of posters judge and evaluate Schaub by only comparing him to Carr.

I can even deal with Schaubs average play at this point b/c when Moon came to the NFL it took him a couple of years to get good.

My main issue is can Schaub stay healthy? Only 17 sacks and a hand full of hits has side lined him for 3 games out of 11. Now he has a dislocated shoulder so who knows how long he will be out now.

Old 12-02-2007   #37
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
So, you're ready to just give up on him after one season? Am I reading you right?
No but I am ready to have a back up plan if this one does not work out.

Draft a young QB and let him hold a clip board and learn.(Not saying a high round pick but at least have our bases covered.)

Old 12-02-2007   #38
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow.

This seems familiar. Been going on every year for the past 4 years or so.

We drop out of the playoff picture and everyone's at each other's throats.

LOL.

Schaub is awful. If the guy needs perfect protection, then he's awful. There's not a QB in the NFL who doesn't get smacked every now and then. And Schaub has shown that he can't take a hit.

Burn me at the message board stake if you wish, but this QB gamble is a losing deal. No need for stats. Wins and losses are all that matter. The guy can't even finish a game.

But please let me know how he'll magically get better. He's not a first-year rookie, fellas.
Old 12-02-2007   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No but I am ready to have a back up plan if this one does not work out.

Draft a young QB and let him hold a clip board and learn.(Not saying a high round pick but at least have our bases covered.)
Was thinking the exact same thing.

I really don't want to see Schaub at QB again. If he needs perfect protection, as a lot are saying we should give him, then they're basically saying he's going to get hurt IF he gets touched. Last time I checked, there's not a QB in the NFL who goes a season without getting touched.

He was sharp vs. Saints and then he disappears. Give the guys 3 weeks, and he's a champ on gameday. Then I guess he needs another 3 weeks of rest to go back out there again.
Old 12-02-2007   #40
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Wow.

This seems familiar. Been going on every year for the past 4 years or so.

We drop out of the playoff picture and everyone's at each other's throats.

LOL.

Schaub is awful. If the guy needs perfect protection, then he's awful. There's not a QB in the NFL who doesn't get smacked every now and then. And Schaub has shown that he can't take a hit.

Burn me at the message board stake if you wish, but this QB gamble is a losing deal. No need for stats. Wins and losses are all that matter. The guy can't even finish a game.

But please let me know how he'll magically get better. He's not a first-year rookie, fellas.
I agree with this to a point.

Schaub could be the next coming of Tom Brady but it doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you are always on the side line.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read