Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2012   #461
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

I would like to see him back at end, but watt ain't going nowhere and the ninja has been a assessing lately. It will be a tough offseason for Smith. I also wonder if Mario is healthy enough to play now, or at super bowl time. It would be a bummer if we reach super bowl and he is healthy but must stay in street clothes.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #462
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
At the start of this season I would have thought bringing Mario back was an absolute must. Seeing the emergence of other players on the D-line makes me backtrack a little from that. I still want him back if a deal can be made that makes the finances work, but I'm not sure a bank-breaking deal is worth it for the team at this point. And I think keeping him would require a below-market deal given the other signing needs and salary cap issues.
I was all for trading him in TC and PS then he played like a monster for the 1st few games. I'm for keeping him, but only if the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Well the Texans need to make an educated decision with MW. It can't just be a decision simply based on the hopes that guys like Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin will be even better next year. They need to research, analyze, and dissect every piece of information they have on MW and then make a decision. Personally, I think he'll be back for at least 1 more year, but with the money saved they can sign a good no.2 receiver, another pass rusher, and perhaps more help in the secondary. It's going to be a tough decision for Rick Smith to make. All we can hope for as fans is that the decision is made with due diligence.
I think they were doing that when they drafted Reed. No one knew if MW could make the change, so the drafted some insurance that payed offf big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
They ain't gonna let Mario walk for nothin. They'll franchise his ass first.
Could you imagine this guy with THIS defense next year? Who you gonna
double team at the line of scrimmage? They may average a sack-per-pass
attempt on defense with all the weapons the Texans will be bringing back.
If they franchise him, do that do it at the OLB or DE position? Do they sign and trade him? If not, they're basically paying very high rent on a player for one season and that hurts the cap more than just letting him walk. If they had no intentions of letting him walk, they would've extended him in the PS.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #463
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Seeing MW on the sidelines of todays game, I think we've seen him play his last game as a Texan. I just can't figure out how we'll be able to keep him and sign key players like AF this offseason.
That's why Richard Smith gets paid the big bucks.

I guarantee you Mario won't count more than $6M against our cap if we decide to keep him.

I've seen enough from our front 7 to be comfortable with the idea of moving forward without Mario. But if I had my rathers, we either sign Mario to a long term deal or draft someone early to replace him.

Brooks Reed & Connor Barwin are nice, but we're one injury away from having no pass rush.
Old 01-09-2012   #464
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
I would like to see him back at end, but watt ain't going nowhere and the ninja has been a assessing lately. It will be a tough offseason for Smith. I also wonder if Mario is healthy enough to play now, or at super bowl time. It would be a bummer if we reach super bowl and he is healthy but must stay in street clothes.
i read that he is healthy to play next weekend. Not sure how good he would have been as not playing and not being in game shape would have affected him. So maybe it is a blessing we IRd him because we would have started him and Reed and Barwin are playing too good not to let them continue RIGHT NOW.

Long term, we need to figure out how to sign Mario, Foster and figure out if Yates is the guy, because Matt will be a free agent soon as well.

I think the best solution would be working out a deal with Mario and trading Ryans. Love the guy, but you can get a quality ILB for much cheaper and use the money on Foster. It is a tough choice either way, but this is what separates great perennial playoff teams, from the occasional run some teams make. This off-season will be a crazy one even if it means we sign no outside free agents.

Not to mention quality back-ups like Dresseen will most likely go elsewhere for more money.
Old 01-09-2012   #465
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

what free agents do we want or need? if we can keep our own (mario and foster), and sign our draft picks, we are exactly where we want to be next season. again, i guessed wrong about his being able to transition to linebacker, but folks seem to be ignoring his impact every season - including this one.

mario williams is an all-pro for good reason, everyone who talks about the texans calls him our best defensive player for good reason. we're jaded. 9 sacks and the best run stuffing DE on a busted shoulder makes him a bum. a sack per start in his transition, against the meat of our schedule isnt enough. we're not going to get a better rush linebacker OR a better defensive end ... forget about having someone who can be both at his level. we dont need 3 good players for one great, we need our all-pro with a full offseason to get healthy and training camp to take our defense from 2nd to 1st.
Old 01-09-2012   #466
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would Mario want to stay here if Wade isn't here?

I think the Mario discussion is on hold until we see what Wade does. He said if they franchise him in the end he is a DE(more money) than a LB. He probably would want to be a DE instead of a LB if Wade isn't here. He knows Wade is a defensive genius and Wade was giving him the shot to be a Demarcus Ware type of player in this defense. Lets hope Wade stays because then our offseason gets more complicated.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #467
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Why would Mario want to stay here if Wade isn't here?

I think the Mario discussion is on hold until we see what Wade does. He said if they franchise him in the end he is a DE(more money) than a LB. He probably would want to be a DE instead of a LB if Wade isn't here. He knows Wade is a defensive genius and Wade was giving him the shot to be a Demarcus Ware type of player in this defense. Lets hope Wade stays because then our offseason gets more complicated.
This has been said numerous times in these discussions, but if franchised, Mario will receive a tender of 120% of his 2011 salary. This number (whatever it is) is in excess of what the franchise amount will be for any defensive position, making that designation meaningless to both the Texans and Mario.
Old 01-09-2012   #468
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say this. If there is anything we learned this season it is that you can't have enough depth on your team.

Yes, letting go of Mario would save us cap money or you could even sign and trade him and get some value but letting him go not only takes away a very good pass rusher but it also takes away our ability to have another experienced guy on the team.

As much as I think Dreesen is a great addition to this team. The ultimate teammate and player. I do believe that we spent a draft pick on Garret Graham and James Casey and I think they can do an adequate job or better.

Foster is a no brainer. You lock him up today.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #469
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

If Colts can pay Manning then the #1 overall pick so can Texans at minimum pay Mario Williams.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #470
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
If Colts can pay Manning then the #1 overall pick so can Texans at minimum pay Mario Williams.
Ya but the Colts have a ton of players coming off their books, like wayne and mathis more notably.
Old 01-09-2012   #471
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
They ain't gonna let Mario walk for nothin. They'll franchise his ass first.
Could you imagine this guy with THIS defense next year? Who you gonna
double team at the line of scrimmage? They may average a sack-per-pass
attempt on defense with all the weapons the Texans will be bringing back.
They can't franchise tag him. He would cost $17 million against the cap. There is no way they can afford to do that. It is simply not possible.
Old 01-09-2012   #472
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
This has been said numerous times in these discussions, but if franchised, Mario will receive a tender of 120% of his 2011 salary. This number (whatever it is) is in excess of what the franchise amount will be for any defensive position, making that designation meaningless to both the Texans and Mario.
Thanks for correcting me, but thats not the point of my post. The point is Mario's choice to sign a long term deal or be adverse to getting franchised may be related to whether Wade is here or not.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #473
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
what free agents do we want or need? if we can keep our own (mario and foster), and sign our draft picks, we are exactly where we want to be next season. again, i guessed wrong about his being able to transition to linebacker, but folks seem to be ignoring his impact every season - including this one.

mario williams is an all-pro for good reason, everyone who talks about the texans calls him our best defensive player for good reason. we're jaded. 9 sacks and the best run stuffing DE on a busted shoulder makes him a bum. a sack per start in his transition, against the meat of our schedule isnt enough. we're not going to get a better rush linebacker OR a better defensive end ... forget about having someone who can be both at his level. we dont need 3 good players for one great, we need our all-pro with a full offseason to get healthy and training camp to take our defense from 2nd to 1st.
There are a lot more than just MW and AF being FA's this iffseason. Myers, Dreesen and Allen are also FA's. Remember, we're on the verge of maxing out our cap right now.
Old 01-09-2012   #474
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
There are a lot more than just MW and AF being FA's this iffseason. Myers, Dreesen and Allen are also FA's. Remember, we're on the verge of maxing out our cap right now.
Mario takng up a big portion of the cap right now. We should be able to sign him long term and have a significant chunk free'd up right there. Enough to get Foster locked in.

Got to sign those guys. Franchise players. Keep them around and we can find the other pieces.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #475
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
Mario takng up a big portion of the cap right now. We should be able to sign him long term and have a significant chunk free'd up right there. Enough to get Foster locked in.

Got to sign those guys. Franchise players. Keep them around and we can find the other pieces.
IF MW is willing. Don't forget about draft picks, blah blah blah. It just isn't going to be that easy. I hope we can keep MW and see him blossom in the 3-4, but I just don't see it as economically feasible.
Old 01-09-2012   #476
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario will be offered a lot more than he is worth here... That said, (and I like Mario a lot), he should go make some money on a 4-3 team...

Do I want him back, "Oh Hell Yeah"!! Signed Stoned Cold Steve Austin!!!!
Old 01-09-2012   #477
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

We will sign Arian to a big time contract and franchise Mario.. as a linebacker
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #478
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

I will settle for 2nd if MW's $$$$ are spent on an impact WR/CB/OG.

I'm interesed in seeing what Braman can do next yr. He's got unreal god given ability. In addition to adding more depth in the draft.

BTW, I'm glad that everybody that thought the defense was going to stink without MW was wrong. The #2 defense without MW speaks volumes to MW's value to this team. If MW is willing to sign on the cheap (he wont) then I'm all for re-signing him. Otherwise I would let him walk. If he re-signed I also wouldn't just give him his old job back. He would have to earn it like most of the other guys on the team.

And no I'm not a MW hater. I just dont think the Texans have missed MW very much if at all.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #479
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I will settle for 2nd if MW's $$$$ are spent on an impact WR/CB/OG.

I'm interesed in seeing what Braman can do next yr. He's got unreal god given ability. In addition to adding more depth in the draft.

BTW, I'm glad that everybody that thought the defense was going to stink without MW was wrong. The #2 defense without MW speaks volumes to MW's value to this team. If MW is willing to sign on the cheap (he wont) then I'm all for re-signing him. Otherwise I would let him walk. If he re-signed I also wouldn't just give him his old job back. He would have to earn it like most of the other guys on the team.

And no I'm not a MW hater. I just dont think the Texans have missed MW very much if at all.

This is absurd. Dude has been your only stalwart on defense for years, he finally gets a competent d-coord. & begins to flourish & then you say peace out to him/ make him earn his job back?

He needs to be brought back & should be. Reed has stepped in & done OK, but i've seen nothing to indicate he's the 2nd coming of Kevin Greene or even CM III. I'd like to see more before i say goodbye to a bonafide stud edge rusher in Mario.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but i think the odd man out should be Ryans. Not only for the reasons he stated, but also b/c he comes off the field anyway in most 3rd & long passing situations & is obviously a liability in coverage. One of the reasons people want Reed over Mario is b/c of his versatility to cover the pass. Well, If i'm wade i put that to the test.

I ask Reed to drop about 10-15 lbs, pair him up with Sharpton in the offseason (competition) & see how he looks at the other MLB spot alongside Cush next year. This gets he & Mario on the field together & we see if Reed is in fact the real deal. We'd also get to see what we really have in Braman as well since he'd then be Mario/Barwin's main back up.

If it doesn't work, well you can always kick Mario back down to DE & slide Reed back over to OLB. Sharpton can then step in alongside Cush.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #480
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
This is absurd. Dude has been your only stalwart on defense for years, he finally gets a competent d-coord. & begins to flourish & then you say peace out to him/ make him earn his job back?

He needs to be brought back & should be. Reed has stepped in & done OK, but i've seen nothing to indicate he's the 2nd coming of Kevin Greene or even CM III. I'd like to see more before i say goodbye to a bonafide stud edge rusher in Mario.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but i think the odd man out should be Ryans. Not only for the reasons he stated, but also b/c he comes off the field anyway in most 3rd & long passing situations & is obviously a liability in coverage. One of the reasons people want Reed over Mario is b/c of his versatility to cover the pass. Well, If i'm wade i put that to the test.

I ask Reed to drop about 10-15 lbs, pair him up with Sharpton in the offseason (competition) & see how he looks at the other MLB spot alongside Cush next year. This gets he & Mario on the field together & we see if Reed is in fact the real deal. We'd also get to see what we really have in Braman as well since he'd then be Mario/Barwin's main back up.

If it doesn't work, well you can always kick Mario back down to DE & slide Reed back over to OLB. Sharpton can then step in alongside Cush.
I agree with you for the most part, but I don't know how Reed would do moving inside. He was a defensive end in college so he is already a conversion player moving to OLB, so moving inside where he would have many more responsibilities is yet another BIG change for him especially in only his second year. He may be able to do it, but its asking a lot and most guys who have walked his path would not be successfull doing that I dont think.
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read