Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2007   #421
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Has anyone oticed that Freeny's sack numbers have gone down alot since Carr moved out of the AFC south? Just wondering.
Nice.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #422
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Actually he should have no sacks recorded because everyone steers the QB into his path or the QB just goes down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
That and the fact that he isn't going against a great LT on every rush like great DE's always do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
IT's obvious he takes games off because he doesn't have a sack in every game!
Quote:
He is just wired wrong. Not having fast twitch muscles like Peppers will keep him from attaining Peppers'-like sack numbers.

Flipping the coin over, now that he is playing well we can give up the (phantom) double team excuse too!
Old 01-06-2008   #423
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

little old and not sure if this was mentioned

if so my apologies

Quote:
After this Sunday, the Texans' rookies will no longer be rookies. How do you think they will come back after their break? The Texans are obviously hopeful that Amobi Okoye can make a similar jump as Mario Williams did last offseason.

Williams said there isn't much of a secret to using the offseason to your advantage. It's mostly about using common sense.

"It's all about taking care of your own self," Williams said. "You could have everybody sitting here trying to say you need to do this, do that, but at the end it comes down to how hard you're going to do whatever you were supposed to have been doing. So it's pretty much you've go to take it upon yourself and do what's right for you and what you know you need to work on."
http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans..._search_t.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #424
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://search.nfl.com/search/query?q...deo&txtIgnore=

videos at nfl.com of him throughout the season
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #425
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
http://search.nfl.com/search/query?q...deo&txtIgnore=

videos at nfl.com of him throughout the season

thanks!
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #426
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

you know what would be really cool? if every time he was about to all out rush the QB, he yelled MMMAAARRRIOOO HHHWWWILLIAMMMMS in the style of Leeroy Jenkins...
Old 01-07-2008   #427
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

mario got 1 vote for DPOTY
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2011   #428
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted to bump the Mario is a bust thread, but this one shall do.

I couldn't find the fast twitch conversation. Lots of comments that sound similar to ones we hear about Mario now. Plus it's just fun to pass time reading oldie threads.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #429
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I wanted to bump the Mario is a bust thread, but this one shall do.

I couldn't find the fast twitch conversation. Lots of comments that sound similar to ones we hear about Mario now. Plus it's just fun to pass time reading oldie threads.
But how many draft picks can we get for him?
Old 09-07-2011   #430
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is a couple of twitches short of Greased Lightning.
Old 09-07-2011   #431
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mario is a couple of twitches short of Greased Lightning.
NFLN was re-airing their Top 100 players show.

When showing DeMarcus Ware of the Cowboys, it's obvious that Ware is built different from Mario. Whereas Mario is tall and long, Ware is shorter and wider...Ware gets his pad level low and drives through or around the lineman, and has amazing instincts--Just a twist here, or a spin there, at seemingly a split-second of reaction and he's to the QB or the ball carrier.

Watching those clips of Ware, I can say that my eyes don't see those same qualities in Mario.

Before everybody jumps my ass and scolds me for daring to dog Mario and puff up Ware on here...just one thing: I think Mario is adequate. He's not bad, he's not decent. He's adequate. He should be great, though. And this preseason action we saw from him? I hope he flips a switch early in the reg season. I have serious doubts, personally.
Old 09-08-2011   #432
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
NFLN was re-airing their Top 100 players show.

When showing DeMarcus Ware of the Cowboys, it's obvious that Ware is built different from Mario. Whereas Mario is tall and long, Ware is shorter and wider...Ware gets his pad level low and drives through or around the lineman, and has amazing instincts--Just a twist here, or a spin there, at seemingly a split-second of reaction and he's to the QB or the ball carrier.

Watching those clips of Ware, I can say that my eyes don't see those same qualities in Mario.

Before everybody jumps my ass and scolds me for daring to dog Mario and puff up Ware on here...just one thing: I think Mario is adequate. He's not bad, he's not decent. He's adequate. He should be great, though. And this preseason action we saw from him? I hope he flips a switch early in the reg season. I have serious doubts, personally.
Mario and Dwight freeney weren't the same type of de's either.

If you are expecting Mario to look like ware or freeney you will be disappointed. That's just not who he is.
Old 09-08-2011   #433
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mario and Dwight freeney weren't the same type of de's either.

If you are expecting Mario to look like ware or freeney you will be disappointed. That's just not who he is.
I only expect a highly-touted DE, such as Mario, to produce and to do it on a consistent basis....not be quiet and invisible for several games and then run into a string of sacks against weak teams like the Rams or Raiders, etc.

Freeny and Ware are better DEs than Mario.

Put Ware on this Texans defense and he gets 127 sacks and is banned from the NFL for sexual assault on the field of play.

And in case somebody wants to scold me, again (and not pointing fingers at you, rey), let me say this: This defense, with a new d-coord and better secondary players and a Defense-heavy draft that produced JJ Watt, is outgrowing Mario Williams. Not entirely, obviously. I mean to say that this defense as a whole unit is capable of wreaking havoc with or without Mario.

We've practically had no other "good" defensive players outside of Mario Williams, Dunta Robinson, and DeMeco Ryans when he's not hurt or making "it's juts another game" comments. It's easy to understand why so many fans are still thinking Mario is just mislabeled by the haters, etc. Whatever. The guy is not "great," and I won't buy the argument from some who claim he's a top tier guy. He's close, but no cigar, IMO.
Old 09-08-2011   #434
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I only expect a highly-touted DE, such as Mario, to produce and to do it on a consistent basis....not be quiet and invisible for several games and then run into a string of sacks against weak teams like the Rams or Raiders, etc.

Freeny and Ware are better DEs than Mario.

Put Ware on this Texans defense and he gets 127 sacks and is banned from the NFL for sexual assault on the field of play.

And in case somebody wants to scold me, again (and not pointing fingers at you, rey), let me say this: This defense, with a new d-coord and better secondary players and a Defense-heavy draft that produced JJ Watt, is outgrowing Mario Williams. Not entirely, obviously. I mean to say that this defense as a whole unit is capable of wreaking havoc with or without Mario.

We've practically had no other "good" defensive players outside of Mario Williams, Dunta Robinson, and DeMeco Ryans when he's not hurt or making "it's juts another game" comments. It's easy to understand why so many fans are still thinking Mario is just mislabeled by the haters, etc. Whatever. The guy is not "great," and I won't buy the argument from some who claim he's a top tier guy. He's close, but no cigar, IMO.
What about the guys who voted him as one of the top 100 players of last year. They play him week-in/week-out. I guess they don't know what they're talking about either, huh?

The assessment from guys with first-hand data carry more weight than fans or talking heads who don't play.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #435
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I only expect a highly-touted DE, such as Mario, to produce and to do it on a consistent basis....not be quiet and invisible for several games and then run into a string of sacks against weak teams
Do you watch other de's/olb's?

Lots of them tend to get sacks in bunches.

And Mario gets sacks against good teams so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Remember when he hurt Ben rothelisberger in pittsburg?

He gets sacks against good qb's. Problem is, in the past if he wasn't getting sacks hardly anyone else was.

And I disagree that freeney is a better de than Mario was. He was a better pass rusher for sure. But freeney is not great against the run. There is more to being a de than pinning your ears back. when the colts are getting pounded freeney and Mathis are invisible. They have about 0 impact on the game. Go back and look at the first game from last year as well as the many other times opponents run the ball at them.

Marios role is changing under Phillips so it's not fair to compare old Mario to ware because they weren't asked to do the same things. And still, like I said earlier, they are two different types of players. Judge him on his own merits, not based on what others do.

If he fails it won't be because he isn't like Demarcus ware as there have Been all types that have failed and all types that have done well.
Old 09-08-2011   #436
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Semi-relevant..

I had a good laugh when reading on the Jag's forum, they figured they'd offer us a firstie and get a little Williams on their side.

in-division trade for inadequate compensation=WIN!
Old 09-08-2011   #437
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
Semi-relevant..

I had a good laugh when reading on the Jag's forum, they figured they'd offer us a firstie and get a little Williams on their side.

in-division trade for inadequate compensation=WIN!
Interesting how THEY see his value and our own fans do not.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #438
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Interesting how THEY see his value and our own fans do not.
Fans are jaded and almost always hate their own players, or love them incessantly without reason.

Look at the Jags fans talking about how great their season is going to be now that they got rid of that bum Garrard. Nevermind who is replacing Garrard this cut makes their team better!

Fans come up with all kinds of dumbass reasoning as to why they don't like a specific player, be it smirking after a bad play (or laughing), not completely dominating every single player that lines up in front of them, to making too much money (lol). I think Mario is going to be fine this year, especially if others are contributing in the QB Pressure aspect of our defense.
Old 09-08-2011   #439
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When showing DeMarcus Ware of the Cowboys, it's obvious that Ware is built different from Mario. Whereas Mario is tall and long, Ware is shorter and wider...
You need to get your eyes checked. Ware is a shorter version of Mario and isn't wider at all. He is two inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter. Freeney would be the shorter thicker comparison.

Quote:
And Mario gets sacks against good teams so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.
He's not talking about anything realistic. Mario has sacked Manning more than anyone else during his tenure in the league and Manning is the toughest QB in the league to sack.
Old 09-08-2011   #440
GP 
Go Texans!

I just love Internet debates.

I say Mario is not top tier, others say he is, so I'm wrong and they're right.

I'll see what he does this year, but make no mistake about it...he will be defended (as usual) because "He's in a new system and asked to play a different role."

Previously, he was on a bad defense. Now he's on SUCH a good defense that it overshadows him and his "new role" which also provides an excuse for any lack of impact he might have this year.

A rhinestone sitting on top of a pile of horse manure sparkles, but it ain't a diamond. Mario has been the best d-linemen we've had in the Kubiak era, but that doesn't mean he's All-World. I'd even wager that had he been drafted at like pick 15 (like we normally do every year) he wouldn't be as heavily touted by everybody.

Last thing: He gains a bit of "pop" by virtue of having beaten out VY and RB in the draft. Remember how everybody thought we were dumb for taking Mario over such vaunted talents as VY and RB? That's because nobody knew Mario Williams before he became Houston's #1 pick. He wasn't a prominent NCAA player on a big-time NCAA team, and it blew people's minds when he was picked #1. By virtue of NOT being as bad as VY and RB, he gains some cred that I think is overblown.

I want to see him dominate several games in-a-row and be unblockable. Haven't seen it yet.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read