Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2007   #21
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default Re: We don't have good coaching (getting outcoached again)

This is pretty simple: turn the ball over at an inoportune moment. Drop balls on third down. Miss tackles. These are all mental errors. Guess what, we are a young, injured team with a bunch of people in situations they are not comfortable in. Mistakes are made, and we just dont have the talent, particularly on the offensive line, to recover by throwin the ball a bunch of times. We had this game in our grasp when we scored and forced a three and out. An individual error cost us, its that simple.
Old 12-02-2007   #22
austintexanite
All Pro

Honestly, I don't think we got outcoached today. Earlier in the season I would say that we did do a p*ss poor job of managing the clock and looked like crap, but today the players shot themselves in the foot. We had momentum, but the fumbled punt hurt us.
Old 12-02-2007   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I see these posts that say we were out-coached. I think we were out-manned.

- Their O-line is better than our ability to bring pressure - especially since Richard Smith refuses to blitz.
- Their D-line is better than our O-line, especially after Weary went down. That means their suspect secondary only has to cover 2-3 seconds, unlike ours that has to cover up to 4 seconds - 5 if the QB scrambles a bit.
- Our WR corps, who stepped up when AJ was out, seems to have stepped back down.
- They have 2-3 healthy, productive RBs, we have one. When LenDale White get's done banging you in the first half they bring in Chris Brown's fresh legs in the second half. We have Ron Dayne. And I think their RB productivity is also a reflection of their better O-line as much as talent at the RB position.

We're out manned. And, looking at our schedule, we will continue to be for the rest of the year. If we stay in any of the remaining games it'll be a surprise.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #24
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Clearly. With insightful comments like this, so rich in analyisis and perspective, Im shocked Rick Smith has not contacted you already for a consulting job.
now THAT is comedy!

Old 12-02-2007   #25
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
And I would make a judgement that those people are ignorant. I never have understood the mentality of those that want to shift the blame to coaches in order to make their favorite players look good.
Then they never should have gotten rid of Capers, huh?

Maybe the coaches actually do have some effect on the team, and the players have some too. Moving Mario around his rookie year when he wasn't ready for that may have been a coaching mistake. Mario not picking up on things too quickly, or not giving his all on every play may be a player problem. Drafting Mario after giving a big bonus to Weaver when they should play the same position may be a front office problem.

These just sum up to one example. When a team is as consistently bad as the Texans and seems to make the same mistakes game after game, year after year - then there are a lot of problems all working together.

Then again, maybe I'm just ignorant too - but I know that is too far fetched to be true.
Old 12-02-2007   #26
DeepSteelBlue
Rookie

Quote:
Clearly. With insightful comments like this, so rich in analyisis and perspective, Im shocked Rick Smith has not contacted you already for a consulting job.
Thanks! I've been waiting by the phone. If you have any connections, hook me up!
DeepSteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #27
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
- Our WR corps, who stepped up when AJ was out, seems to have stepped back down.

We're out manned. And, looking at our schedule, we will continue to be for the rest of the year. If we stay in any of the remaining games it'll be a surprise.
Interesting observation, which I agree with. With AJ out, the ball got spread around to Walter, Davis, and the tight ends. Now, there is an AJ myopia with the QBs.

In my view, AJ should be given a finite number of plays during a game, for a variety of reasons.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2007   #28
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is pretty simple: turn the ball over at an inoportune moment. Drop balls on third down. Miss tackles. These are all mental errors. Guess what, we are a young, injured team with a bunch of people in situations they are not comfortable in. Mistakes are made, and we just dont have the talent, particularly on the offensive line, to recover by throwin the ball a bunch of times. We had this game in our grasp when we scored and forced a three and out. An individual error cost us, its that simple.
QFT, i'll add to that weather conditions sometimes dictate what you feel comfortable calling but all in all, what you stated above are the main reasons we lost & continue to lose. However there are some things i think kubes needs to get better at.

For example, when you've got a d-line full of speed rushers as Tenn has, you might want to move your Qb's pocket a bit more so your QB isn't a sitting duck & those ends hold for a second. He had schaub doing this on the 1st drive & then he just stopped calling them. Schaub also needs to change his count up to force the d-line to hold back like Sage was doing.

2, have your Qb spreading the ball around a little more. Walter didn't get the ball until the 4th quarter & i believe Daniels had 1 catch on the first drive & wasn't heard from again. He's got to do a better job of giving other guys chances to make plays; give the defense something else to worry about You can't always bank on your QB being able to make it to his 2nd & 3rd reads all the time; some plays need to be called looking for Daniels/Walter/Davis 1st read & then AJ second.

I don't know if he's doing that & the Qb's are bypassing these guys looking straight for AJ every pass play, but.........

Last edited by Mr teX; 12-02-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #29
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fire Kubiak?

Outcoached? I don't think so.

We lose our starting QB and our starting RG and we end the game with a 3rd string RG. Dayne is a serviceable RB but he wouldn't be starting anywhere else. He's a good #2 back. We've already lost 3 DB's. Demps wasn't even in camp and Hutchins is a safety starting at CB.

We lost this game due to injuries and a rookie mistake.

Kubiak did a great job considering what he had to work with. This board however is full of former NFL coaches that can do his job better.

Last edited by prostock101; 12-02-2007 at 05:12 PM.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #30
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fire Kubiak?

did you really have to start a new thread?

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44832
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #31
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I'm willing to give Kubiak some time. I am done with Richard Smith. No one went down on defense today, his schemes have sucked for the vast majority of the season. Our defense makes everyone look like elite players, even subpar players like Vince Young can come into our house and look like a million dollars. Yes, our defense is lacking in personnel. However, the schemes have looked worse than the players have. I'm curious to see how Kubiak does next season with a new OC and DC (Sherman is going to A&M and I'm almost certain that Smith will be history after this season).

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #32
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

To echo someone else . .

did you really have to start up a new thread?

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...72&postcount=1

Mods?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #33
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Kubes is good. The entire D staff needs to get the boot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #34
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I second that...Kubs can stay but Richard Smith can go!
Old 12-02-2007   #35
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Interesting observation, which I agree with. With AJ out, the ball got spread around to Walter, Davis, and the tight ends. Now, there is an AJ myopia with the QBs.

In my view, AJ should be given a finite number of plays during a game, for a variety of reasons.
That's an interesting question: Are the QBs "myopic"? Do the QBs always look to AJ or is our illustrious O/C calling plays primarily for AJ?

One would think that given that the opposition usually sets out to double AJ, someone else should be open.

I wonder how often we call set plays where AJ is intentionally a decoy and Walter or Davis is the primary target....?
Old 12-02-2007   #36
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I second that...Kubs can stay but Richard Smith can go!
I want more than Smith... I want blood from opposing Offenses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #37
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

growing pains everybody.. i dont know why everybody thought they'd be nice..

we're a young team and our young guys are hurting us right now as they get experience: OD, JJ, schaub (somewhat), winston, amobi (somewhat also).. bennett's done grand so far but he'll prob mess up once or twice before seasons end
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #38
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

we're a young team and our young guys are hurting us right now as they get experience: OD, JJ, schaub (somewhat), winston, amobi (somewhat also).. bennett's done grand so far but he'll prob mess up once or twice before seasons end
Hey, what is the voice of sanity doing on a message board?? Someone ban this guy!

Old 12-02-2007   #39
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Just want to add to the sentiment that I think Kubes is a good coach, but we can do better with our coordinators. My faith in him is starting to waver a bit this season, but I want him to have a third season to prove himself. He played half the season without his best offensive player, and the other half without his best defensive player. We needed to be better than we have been this year, but I still think he's part of the solution, not the problem.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #40
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

He messed up in this very game. On the touchdown catch, by Gage I beleive it was, he should have knocked that ball down. It was a simple jump ball pass that VY threw a little too far into the inside. Gage still managed to snag it.

I see good things out of Bennett. He is a ballhawk for sure. If you errantly throw the ball his way he will pick you off. He has good hands, he doesn't drop the easy ones. He has made some good plays on short passes and running plays by coming up and making good tackles. However he is having his rookie mistakes and showing that he is still a bit raw. There are times that he makes some really nice plays. I think it's just about learning and experiencing the game more.

I agree with you there are growing pains, but another problem is that most of our role playing veterans on defense aren't doing anything for us. Weaver has been a bad fit with this defense thus far. Our outside linebackers are also playing poor to average on a consistant basis. Boulware has been a non-factor, however Demps has contributed well, considering his situation at the beginning of the season with the elbow, at a position of serious need.

Was the Boulware-Babin trade worth it? I thought it was an interesting and exciting trade at first but I haven't seen it pay off thus far.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read