Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2007   #21
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OL free agents 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Texan View Post
After watching the game last night, I'm even more convinced that Faneca is someone to go after during the off season....at least make a play for him, the guy is a beast and a difference maker.
It would be great to draft an offensive lineman also, but this team needs established vets on the line as well. Why not go after the best available?
I know that it's all hindsight, but look at the difference that Joe Thomas is making in Cleveland. If you remember last year, the Browns offensive line was terrible. Now, they are hailed as one of the best, and he's going to be there for forever.

Alan Faneca is probably going to want more than what we signed Anthony Weaver for, and next year will be his eleventh season in the league already. I'm sorry, but as good as he is, I really don't want our team to sign yet another player over 30 for millions in cap space.

Now, if they get a middle of the road player for cheap, and do some decent drafting, I think it'll help the franchise a hell of a lot more than going out and signing a huge contract in free agency, especially on a player that already has a lot of miles on his tires already.

Here's a link to an article about left tackles. Basically the whole crux of the article can be found here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barnwell
As you can see, Peters is one of only three undrafted free agents to be starting at left tackle, the other two being Denver’s Matt Lepsis and Oakland’s Barry Sims, both of whom suffered catastrophic knee injuries in their final year at school (Sims in the Hula Bowl) and went undrafted while rehabilitating their knees.
Pretty much, the whole point is that good LT's NEVER hit FA. Take that as you will.
Old 12-03-2007   #22
SA Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I know that it's all hindsight, but look at the difference that Joe Thomas is making in Cleveland. If you remember last year, the Browns offensive line was terrible. Now, they are hailed as one of the best, and he's going to be there for forever.
Good point, but they also signed Eric Steinbach as a free agent who is making a huge difference on that line as well. Thomas isn't the only upgrade they made...one was drafted and the other was a FA.
SA Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

assuming your looking to bulk up the roster w/offensive line upgrades what current OL does Kubiak/Smith retain 1st? Weary is scheduled to become a UFA which means a new contract but with a broken Tibia just how big or when would he even be able to return? then you have the center position, do you retain soon to be 13th vet Mike Flanagan or 10 year coming off acl Steve McKinney? Chris White one of Shermans GB signings signed to a one year contract(?) now with a season ending injury? anyone care to venture a guess how Spencers rehab is progressing? & OL free agent Jordan Black isn't exactly tearing it up on the bench, if he was any good surely would have seen some time already, now we'll get a look at him these last four games.

the Texans present OL consists of only two players with significant future roles w/Texans short of some kind of medical miracle- Chester Pitts & Eric Winston

forget about addressing these needs via free agency, the Texans need to trade down in the 1st to add a 2nd rd. pick. use the 1st pick on a tackle, 2nd rd. pick on a center & 3rd rd. pick on an OG.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #24
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Texan View Post
Good point, but they also signed Eric Steinbach as a free agent who is making a huge difference on that line as well. Thomas isn't the only upgrade they made...one was drafted and the other was a FA.
With Eric Steinbach they got a guy who had only been in the league for 4 years, where as with Faneca we're getting a guy who's already been in for 11. That's really what makes me shy away from paying him huge amounts of money. He's already played a decade and I think he's looking to land a huge contract with whatever team is next to sign him.
Old 12-03-2007   #25
SA Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
With Eric Steinbach they got a guy who had only been in the league for 4 years, where as with Faneca we're getting a guy who's already been in for 11. That's really what makes me shy away from paying him huge amounts of money. He's already played a decade and I think he's looking to land a huge contract with whatever team is next to sign him.
Very good point
SA Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #26
b0ng
Ooops

I don't mean to shoot you down a lot, I just think this year, we pick up some good but cheap FA's, and try to get the premier talent in the draft.

But really, we just need help everywhere, and I think that we'll see a pretty big turnover in the line this offseason (At least I hope we do).
Old 12-03-2007   #27
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I wouldn't mind having Flozell Adams at LT.

Starks, if only because of his size, seems like an interesting option to explore.
No way the Cowboys let Flozell go. The good news though, is that the Cowboys also have Julius Jones, Marion Barber, and Tyson Thompson (their entire RB corp), and Patrick Crayton, Chris Canty, Jaques Reeves, Ken Hamlin, all as FA's, so maybe they can't afford him! They will put their money into Barber, and Crayton, and let Thompson and Jones go without a fight. They won't let Canty go, and Ken Hamlin will be resigned. Flozell though.....I don't know how much cap room Dallas has after the Romo extension, but I can see Adams settling for less just to stay in Dallas.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2007   #28
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Any good one coming out this year?
I don't know about OL, but for RB give me Justin Fargas, Julius Jones (if he can stay healthy), and obviously Michael Turner. I think Fargas and Dayne would be a good combo until next year when we can afford to spend a first or second rounder on an RB.

This year will have to be a CB or LT in the first (whichever we don't pick up in FA). Hopefully an LT. Their's noone worth picking up otherwise.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #29
b0ng
Ooops

This is a repost from a different thread, but I'll post it here too:

I'm on board with all of this. An interesting article about LT's can be found here. It's mostly an article talking about Bills LT Jason Peters (who's apparently a pretty good LT that I never knew about), but it includes a few graphs showing all NFL starting LT salaries.

I think LT and then C is probably our weakest position, although now with both Weary and White down, you can really make a case for saying the entire line could get positions filled and we would be improved. Say we get a guard, tackle and center. I would probably want to get the center or guard in free agency if we really have to go that route. There's already a few lists of free agents, but I'll list em here:

Footballs Future.com I have never used, or heard about, this site before this season so. .

KFFL's site This website is the best place to get breaking news stories. Sort of like a clearinghouse for everything about football, and football players.

The Red Zone OT OG and C. Good football site.

I really couldn't even tell you who the best Center would be, but looking at the KFFL list, I guess a few names could be Seth McKinney, Casey Wiegmann, and after that it's getting pretty murky.

At Guard it'd have to be Alan Faneca. He will want buttloads of money, and has quite a few years on him. He will probably be real good for another year or 2 and then be a decent starter for probably another 2 after that. He will more than likely not be signed with the Steelers after this year as he has expressed interest in leaving. He wants a huge contract. Ryan Lilja is a name to think about, although I think the Colts will retain him. Then maybe Floyd Womack with the Seahawks, but again I think he'll end up being retained with how well Seattle is doing.

And at Tackle it'd probably be Flozell Adams. He will more than likely get a pretty nice contract if they go all the way this year. Then you've got Max Starks who is coming off of a knee injury. Steelers will probably resign him if they don't resign Faneca I'm sure. But he could be interesting. Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton are from the Panthers, and could be worth a look, but nothing too expensive.

So that's my overview of FA. I don't really think that we should pay big money to anybody this year, because the people who would be worth big money, are a little on the "used" side. I still think that we should really only get a few fill in's for depth and really look to the draft for getting our big names.

We've all thrown around names for the draft, and this website has a great forum where there's lots of draft talk going on. I'm of the opinion we get a good LT in the draft (preferred in the 1st round, but what the heck, we seem to find good talent in the draft at all rounds), and a decent C in the later rounds.

The coaching thing I definitely do not have enough knowledge on NFL coaching staffs to really have an opinion on who to hire and whatnot. I wish we could get a combination of Indy's, Cleveland's, and Pittsburgh's offensive line coaches. Like Voltron, only with a whistle.
Old 12-03-2007   #30
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsDL.html
Here's a good list of possible FA's to replace Weaver.
Smith or Allen would be most welcome. Maybe even Paul Spicer, if all else fails. Allen would definately be my first option as RDE though.
Old 12-04-2007   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
Need to draft an OL in the first. Prefer center or left tackle.
There is not a center worth a day one pick in this class. Picking a center in the top fifteen players would be a major brain fart. there isn't a Mangold nor Kalil in this class.

I don't see a Joe Thomas in this class. some do. A lot will depend on which Juniors come out. One of the top end Juniors , Micheal Oher, will propobably have to sit a year. Baker has been hurt. Long is not that far way from what is starting in Detroit at left tackle. So I stand to disagree. With no Thomas like prospect on the board...you do attempt to move down. You keep moving down untill the tallent meets the need. You attempt to hit as many holes as you can by drafting as many players as you can between ten and 99.
Old 12-04-2007   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
assuming your looking to bulk up the roster w/offensive line upgrades what current OL does Kubiak/Smith retain 1st? Weary is scheduled to become a UFA which means a new contract but with a broken Tibia just how big or when would he even be able to return? then you have the center position, do you retain soon to be 13th vet Mike Flanagan or 10 year coming off acl Steve McKinney? Chris White one of Shermans GB signings signed to a one year contract(?) now with a season ending injury? anyone care to venture a guess how Spencers rehab is progressing? & OL free agent Jordan Black isn't exactly tearing it up on the bench, if he was any good surely would have seen some time already, now we'll get a look at him these last four games.

the Texans present OL consists of only two players with significant future roles w/Texans short of some kind of medical miracle- Chester Pitts & Eric Winston

forget about addressing these needs via free agency, the Texans need to trade down in the 1st to add a 2nd rd. pick. use the 1st pick on a tackle, 2nd rd. pick on a center & 3rd rd. pick on an OG.

Long way untill the draft. I'm thinking the same thing. I would only like to point out that there are several interesting prospect on the o-line who will be available in the third and fourth rounds. I believe they can shore up Rb and corner if they play their cards correctly. I would very much like to see a move down though in this draft.

One of the few o-linman we still have standing is Pitts. He is not Bruce Mathews, but he isn't a bad o-lineman either. The big qeustion is if you sign Fanaca what do you do with Pitts ? Or are you going to throw Pitts under the bus also ? We already got a left gaurd. Drafting a guy to groom..I'm with you. Double dipping with a high priced FA...brain fart. He better be a heck of a left gaurd prospect. Anything close to thrity is the yellow brick road to cap hell. Say hello to the wizzard for me in 2010.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read