Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-01-2007   #1
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112235 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Skipped National Anthem

Skipping Anthem an un-America move by NFL, Steelers

The NFL and the Pittsburgh Steelers decided to start their Monday Night Football game without the National Anthem according to the Denver Post. Bad enough football has taken away all our free time in the fall and early winter. Now, it's going to take away our patriotism?

This time, it seemed like the NFL had gone too far. The game between the hometown Steelers and hapless Miami Dolphins was delayed roughly 25 minutes because of horrendous weather. Understood. The rain drove with the intensity of a hurricane residue. There were frightening lightning strikes, a strong wind, a swampland for a Heinz Field playing surface.

Everyone ran for cover, from the fans in the stands to the players on the field. But the Star-Spangled Banner was written with bombs bursting in air. Nothing's tougher than the National Anthem. The NFL hardly seemed worthy of its red, white and blue insignia colors by canceling America's most honorable song so the show could on two minutes less late.

Source: Mike Klis, Denver Post

Yahoo link

I didn't know about this and saw it on Yahoo. Just thought I'd pass it along.
Showtime100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #2
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: NFL Skipped National Anthem

not that big of a deal for many reasons....................
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Shame on the NFL.
Old 12-01-2007   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh please. The NFL decides to skip the anthem because there are horrible weather conditions and people get bent out of shape? Get a life
Old 12-01-2007   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106584 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a law that says the National Anthem has to be played before any sporting event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

lol, what a stupid story. patriotism is pathetic as it is.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #7
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
lol, what a stupid story. patriotism is pathetic as it is.
Not for all of us. I love & take great pride in my country, & I get very upset when people abuse our flag or national anthem.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2007   #8
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Oh, no - someone call the Groupthink Police and get them started on whipping the NFL back in line.

I'm not even sure why the national anthem is played/sung at these events anyway. We don't do it anywhere else. You don't have the national anthem before watching a play. What an odd tradition.
Old 12-02-2007   #9
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

The game was delayed and the anthem wasn't sung....it's not really that big of a deal until someone blows it out of proportion. I'm sure there's something more important going on in this world.
Old 12-02-2007   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Oh, no - someone call the Groupthink Police and get them started on whipping the NFL back in line.

I'm not even sure why the national anthem is played/sung at these events anyway. We don't do it anywhere else. You don't have the national anthem before watching a play. What an odd tradition.
i'm not a fan of it either. and i think one "pledge of allegiance" should be more than enough for a kid, not every single day for his stay in school.
Old 12-02-2007   #11
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

As someone who's family has a history of serving overseas, as someone who has friends serving overseas, and as someone who loves his country as much as anyone else...even I find it a tad bit ridiculous that this issue has been blown out of proportion to such an extent. The NFL simply didn't have the time to delay any longer, I highly doubt that this was a personal endorsement of al Qaida on their part.

If it makes anyone feel better, I heard Vince Neil was supposed to sing it. I think that's reason enough to cancel it.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112235 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmm, I just saw this mini-article, had a laugh, and posted this thread thinking no big deal, I kind of thought it was funny. If I was going to take a side I think they should play it. You can type up your reason why they shouldn't on your nice computer, under your well-built roof, between your bites of food while pondering what you might do on this leisurely Sunday paid for by many of your forefathers, I'm surprised at the reaction.

The reaction kind of reminds me of a song by comedian Rodney Carrington called Show Them To Me. At the end he thanked the ones who did and told the rest, "We've got people putting their like on the line overseas for freedom and you can't even whip out a &^%*@% tit!"

I keep hearing what a big deal you guys think this is and I haven't heard a thing except for the Yahoo story, so obviously this isn't.

I still think this is no big deal and kind of funny, but I can be bothered to acknowledge my country for a couple of minutes while I'm apparently risking my life the three hours watching a football game.

I'm a little surprised at the response. Actually surprised that there was a response. One of you doesn't surprise me, most of what you say seems designed to ruffle feathers, but geez folks have a little pride in your country.
Old 12-02-2007   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

i don't have to hear a song to have any sort of pride or understanding.
Old 12-02-2007   #14
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Well it all about you isn't it.
Old 12-02-2007   #15
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106584 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me play my Veteran card - I know the National Anthem, I know what it sounds it like. I neither have to sing the The Shoe Tying Song to remember how to tie my shoes nor the National Anthem to prove that I'm Patriotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #16
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I have always wondered the same thing. What do sporting events have to do with nationalism anyway? I remember when I took my wife to her first sporting event here in the states. She was pretty weirded out about it since they don't have this tradition in Europe.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #17
Showtime100
Got AJ?

OK folks. Standing up for two minutes and acknowledging your country is a bit much. It blows me away I'm in this discussion by my self, quite frankly. That's pretty sad.

Stand outside in that terrible weather and worship your team, but for God's sakes another two minutes in that nasty, dangerous monsoon to acknowledge your country? No way, right guys?
Old 12-02-2007   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

it doesn't bother me to stand for the anthem, but it also certainly wouldn't bother me if they skipped it. not a big deal either way.
Old 12-02-2007   #19
steds
Veteran

Rep Power: 329 steds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it really weird how Americans seem to play the national anthem at all their sporting events.

Find it almost as weird how you seem to actually like your anthem. Although not having a ridiculous piece of propaganda for a useless relic of a bygone age might help. Infact, not having a useless relic of a bygone age for a head of state would be nice. Ohhhh, how I'd love to live in the USA... or Russia. They had the right idea when they killed all their royalty.

But yeah. Playing the national anthem all the time = weird. Complaining because the national anthem wasn't played for one sporting event = sad.
steds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

no country has more trumped up patriotism than America and no country gets more hysterically upset when said trumped up patriotism is "violated."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read