Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-17-2008   #81
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pitts Arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Though it's been said that a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich, it is likely that if he comes across the way he did during the interviews with the media, and if the dashboard cam stuff isn't ugly, that the grand jury will vote not to indict if they have one lick of sense.

Given even the police department's account of events, combined with what Pitts said, a prosecutor would have a hard time saying that Pitts intended to flee arrest. "Intent" is key, and most of the circumstantial information would make it hard for a prosecutor to prove intent beyond a reasonable doubt.
Old 01-17-2008   #82
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Though it's been said that a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich, it is likely that if he comes across the way he did during the interviews with the media, and if the dashboard cam stuff isn't ugly, that the grand jury will vote not to indict if they have one lick of sense.

Given even the police department's account of events, combined with what Pitts said, a prosecutor would have a hard time saying that Pitts intended to flee arrest. "Intent" is key, and most of the circumstantial information would make it hard for a prosecutor to prove intent beyond a reasonable doubt.
Yeah but how much faith can you put in a bunch of people not smart enough to get out of jury duty?
Old 01-17-2008   #83
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Yeah but how much faith can you put in a bunch of people not smart enough to get out of jury duty?
The people on a grand jury in Harris County are generally people who volunteered for that duty. Civic minded folks. Generally, smarter than the population in general, and traditionally very conservative.

I have the highest regard for people that serve on any jury, because we need to encourage good people to serve on juries. As much as there is crazy stuff in the paper, juries get it right more often than the goof up in spectacular fashion.
Old 01-17-2008   #84
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Steph is dead on about the Grand Jury v. jurors called for duty... But more importantly, you insulted me as I went to jury duty yesterday out at Judge Bill Yoemans annex (Clay at Highway 6)
Old 01-17-2008   #85
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Steph is dead on about the Grand Jury v. jurors called for duty... But more importantly, you insulted me as I went to jury duty yesterday out at Judge Bill Yoemans annex (Clay at Highway 6)
He's a hoot isn't he ? Yoeman can Clear out a couple of Hundred people before lunch time.
And...make you laugh befor you poney up the money.

I never get picked for juries. Speak up in voir dire or it's your own fault. Don't lie just speak the truth. I tell them I'm a conervative and that prety much does it.

I've done what Pitts did befor. Motor cycle guy pulls two over at once and you get a jester it's not you...or you think it's a jester it's not you...I just went on. I believe it was innocent.

'nother thing I do that drives them nutz is look for a clear place to pull over. My uncle had a very good freind who was a young motor cycle cop. Anyway to make long story short....someone freaked at one of his traffic stops under the east loop and an eighteen wheeler jack-knifed and slid in to them. Gasoline 18 wheeler. So I'm prety spookey about stoping in traffic along the freeway.
Rather go to jail for evading arrest than be a crispy critter.

I think what Pitts did was fairly innocent. He has no cause to run from the cops. Just a misunderstanding. I don't believe he was in hurry and just decided to go. He got a jester and misintrupreted it.

Grand Jury guys are usually pillars of the commnity guys who are invited to serve. Deacon of churches, retired teachers, people who've run plants and offices...they don't just get them off the street. It's really quite an honor to be picked. And... a thankless job.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-18-2008 at 04:08 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #86
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
He's a hoot isn't he ? Yoeman can Clear out a couple of Hundred people before lunch time.
And...make you laugh befor you poney up the money.

I never get picked for juries. Speak up in voir dire or it's your own fault. Don't lie just speak the truth. I tell them I'm a conervative and that prety much does it.
Judge Yoeman is great. I have never seen a judge take the time to actually address each and everyone that showed up for jury duty. And yes, he also has such a great sense of humor - whether you pay up or not.... Nothing but respect for him.
Old 01-17-2008   #87
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The people on a grand jury in Harris County are generally people who volunteered for that duty. Civic minded folks. Generally, smarter than the population in general, and traditionally very conservative.

I have the highest regard for people that serve on any jury, because we need to encourage good people to serve on juries. As much as there is crazy stuff in the paper, juries get it right more often than the goof up in spectacular fashion.
My comment was not to insult it was a line from a movie and I was making a joke. I have served on a jury about some property damage crap.

And yes I do have respect for the people who do grand jury and regular jury.

I guess I should have not made the joke.
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2008   #88
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My comment was not to insult it was a line from a movie and I was making a joke. I have served on a jury about some property damage crap.

Bad joke man. Bad spec... Bad spec...

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #89
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

610 am just said the grand jury no billed Chester Pitts.
Old 01-17-2008   #90
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nice. It's a good thing when the thing that is supposed to happen happens.
Old 01-17-2008   #91
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:

Nah, I was just speaking in general and not trying to direct this at you. I wanted folks to know that grand juries are a little different than regular juries.
Old 01-17-2008   #92
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have jury duty Jan 23rd, have served on several juries in the past, and will serve this time if selected. Do I want to do this? No, not really. BUT, I don't feel I have a right to complain about things I don't like about our justice system if I don't willingly do my part when called. I just go, take a good book to read, and keep my fingers crossed that if I am called, it will be on some case that will keep me from falling asleep in the jury box.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #93
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I have jury duty Jan 23rd, have served on several juries in the past, and will serve this time if selected. Do I want to do this? No, not really. BUT, I don't feel I have a right to complain about things I don't like about our justice system if I don't willingly do my part when called. I just go, take a good book to read, and keep my fingers crossed that if I am called, it will be on some case that will keep me from falling asleep in the jury box.
The one jurty duty I went to lasted 1.5 days. Half way through the second day one of the parties involved admited he was lying. But they did pass around a bullet that was in some dudes head for an hour or two.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #94
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!

Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
God help the defendant!!!!

Old 01-17-2008   #95
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Great news for Chester. I think this was the correct decision based on all available data.
Old 01-17-2008   #96
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ooooooooooook this is old news.......... i got scared

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #97
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

69 Prevails!
Old 01-18-2008   #98
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Judge Yoeman is great. I have never seen a judge take the time to actually address each and everyone that showed up for jury duty. And yes, he also has such a great sense of humor - whether you pay up or not.... Nothing but respect for him.
Back when I was in Houston, I had to go to Yoeman for a traffic violation I think, and first thing he did when he came in was say "man this is too much paperwork today, I need to clear some people out of here". Then he said "is there anyone here from the great state of Louisiana?", about 5 people raised there hands to try to get out of there, and he said, "Great, you five form a line on the right over here, you're all paying your fines, everyone else is free to go, you're dismissed!!!" He then told us how he was given a speeding ticket by a rude police officer in New Orleans, and this was his vengeance towards Louisiana! LOL
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #99
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice. It's a good thing when the thing that is supposed to happen happens.
Except if you are Texas Supreme Court Justice David "Firebug" Medina who got indicted by a Harris County Grand Jury for Arson..

The funny thing is that "Chucky" Rosenthal DIDN'T want Medina indicted, and is now going to DISMISS the case, regardless of the indictment.

Last edited by Koolaid Time; 01-18-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #100
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
colossal waste of time charging Pitts for a FELONY in such a trivial matter. They don't care about wasting our time and money though....we just let em abuse it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read