Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2007   #21
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's going to be the new OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I would say that a) Tech tried to be a power running team and b) Spike Dykes refused to pass because he had some very below average QBs, most notably the great Zebby Lethridge and c) Spike was afraid of the pass.

As for all those great RBs under Spike, how many had good games against the top teir talent, espically after the formation of the Big XII? I remember many a rolling by Nebraska in Lubbock.

I think Leech runs the spread because it fits the talent he is able to recruit to Lubbock, if he could get better talent along the O-line and at RB I think he would run more.
Spike had Kingsbury at QB, I wouldn't say he was a below average QB.

In '97 "lil" Ricky outgained UT's Ricky Williams 131-80. In '98 he outgained him again 148-141. As for Nebraska, I remember Nebraska rolling alot of people back in those days and it is hard to find stats from games that happened ten years ago.

Leach has implemented a pass heavy offense everywhere he has gone, Valdosta State, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Tech. In my opinion, if it were not for Leach then Tim Couch would never have been the number one pick. Then we saw what he did with Heupel in Oklahoma. No matter where Leach coaches he will pass first IMHO.
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #22
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I am curious why not Larry Kirksey the WR coach, look what he has done with our WR and he is in his 11th season versu Jr his in his 4th. I honestly think that it will not be Kyle because of lack of experience.

This is the second year in a row the Texans have had to replace the OC, who ever it is it needs to be some that can stablize the offense and it needs to be someone who can at least challenge Kubiak with different schemes other than what has been done in the past. Different ideas is not a bad thing and can only help the team.
Old 11-29-2007   #23
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
*ahem* it was a joke.... No one has to convince me that it 'may have been HWSRN'
Bill, I know you where joking, but could not resist blasting DC once again.
painekiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #24
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Kubiak

Even if someone else holds the title, Kubiak is the Offensive "Genius".
Agreed: What I think is going to happen....if sherman doesn't take the boy...the boy will be elevated. The boy is bieng groomed to take over HC for the denver broncos. Either way the boy gets his resume padded.
Old 11-29-2007   #25
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Spike had Kingsbury at QB, I wouldn't say he was a below average QB.
Kingsbury didn't start till 2000, which was Leach's first year.

Quote:
In '97 "lil" Ricky outgained UT's Ricky Williams 131-80. In '98 he outgained him again 148-141. As for Nebraska, I remember Nebraska rolling alot of people back in those days and it is hard to find stats from games that happened ten years ago.
For those games, yes; but over the season, no. I'm also pretty sure that Tech lost both of those games.

Quote:
Leach has implemented a pass heavy offense everywhere he has gone, Valdosta State, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Tech. In my opinion, if it were not for Leach then Tim Couch would never have been the number one pick. Then we saw what he did with Heupel in Oklahoma. No matter where Leach coaches he will pass first IMHO.
Where has Leach coached where he's had a good running game? I say Leach runs the spread because it gives his team's the best chance at winning with the talent on their rosters.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, cause if we keep this up we'll need to move it to the college forum.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
For what its worth . John McClain was saying Sunday that it might be Kyle Shanahan . He said that he thinks he will take the OC job here , then move on to Denver as OC for a couple of years , and eventually take over Daddy's job as head coach . He also said that he has a reputation as one of the good up and coming young coaches in the NFL . I wouldn't mind that . No college coaches please .
I can see that.

As I've said before, I've seen Shanahan talk football, and he impresses. He looks so young, but that fades away when you hear him talk.

Here's some pluses and minuses:

1. He can translate what Kubiak wants for his offense better than just about anyone else. Out of the staff there, probably only TE coach Brian Pariani is the only other person who as familiar with the Denver style of things.

2. The players like what he does.

The downside:

1. I think he would be a waste in the booth. He is of great help to Kubiak on the sidelines. I don't know who they would get to replace his role there as far as telling people what they are missing or what they needed to do on a particular route.

2. Inexperience. If stuff hits the fan on the offensive side of the ball, the Texans will no longer have the cover of saying "hold the course, our offensive coordinator knows what he is doing." He won't have much of a safety net if things go bad--his fault or not.

On the offensive side of the ball, I am not sure if I should have confidence in what oline coach John Benton is doing now that Sherman is gone. Sherman was in charge of the oline last year, and Benton had it this year. Don't know enough to have an opinion.
Old 11-29-2007   #27
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Kingsbury didn't start till 2000, which was Leach's first year.

For those games, yes; but over the season, no. I'm also pretty sure that Tech lost both of those games.

Where has Leach coached where he's had a good running game? I say Leach runs the spread because it gives his team's the best chance at winning with the talent on their rosters.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, cause if we keep this up we'll need to move it to the college forum.

Kingsbury was there in '99 and played at the end of that season.

Williams rushed for 1582 yards and 13 TD's his sophomore season. Tech won both games that I listed.

We have better talent than Army and all they do is run the ball, as a matter of fact we have better talent than 75 percent of the Nation at least.

But your right this is off topic and I don't think we are going to agree.

(Oklahoma had a running game)
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2007   #28
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude....I would love having Mike Leach on this staff. He's got one hell of a killer instinct.

He'd make for some great quotes on Monday mornings. It would only be a matter of time before he'd have his own radio show here in town.

Even though I have no ties to Tech or Lubbock, I got mad respect for the man.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #29
austintexanite
All Pro

Turner as an OC has me very intrigued, but it will probably be Kyle. I'm not sure if that is the smartes of moves though. Has he had enough experience? Is he smart enough to call a good game and adjust to defences?
Old 11-29-2007   #30
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love Norv Turner as our offensive coordinator if he were let go by San Diego. I know both he and Kubiak have reputations as being QB guru's so I wonder if that would conflict though. Another name that hasn't been thrown out is Steve Mariucci. Wouldn't mind him trying for the job.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #31
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

To clear up the Mike Leach discussion, this is his philosophy on offense. It's quite an impressive read and I have no connection to Tech. He's an interesting guy for sure. I have a lot of respect for him as well, going from lawyer to football coach and winning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/ma...0Ca3wU8ESozzZA
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #32
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
For some reason(s), the thought of Kyle Shanahan as OC does not inspire any confidence in my mind. It is borderline nepotism, and once again, the Texans might fail to spend the money on getting a proven coach on our staff.

I wonder if Kubiak will want to change DC since he's having to find another OC. Another year of Richard Smith's bland defensive schemes and emotion-based playcalling leaves me feeling less than enthusiastic.

Obviously, this is just speculation on my part, tainted by half a decade of mediocrity and losing.
I agree. It would be another example of cronyism and McNair going the cheap route on coaches when coaching is the only thing you can spend loads of money on and not get hamstrung by the salary cap.

but what do I know? McNair knows one thing, making money....and his franchise has done that for him and he could sell it tomorrow and make a few hundred million dollars in windfall. McNair needs to hire some real coaches with experience and credibility. The Texans coaching staff is currently a laughingstock of the league and that includes everyone but Lil'Shanny and Kubes. The offense has been OK but every defensive coach needs to be fired and given the boot.
Old 11-29-2007   #33
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's Kyle (which it probably will be) then it'll be in name only.

I don't have much of a problem with that because it means that Kubes will be actually running the offense.

I thought that Gailey would be a damn good pickup as well, but I doubt that his offense would be compatible with Kubiak's. We'd end up with some other "hybrid" offense.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #34
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'd love Norv Turner as our offensive coordinator if he were let go by San Diego. I know both he and Kubiak have reputations as being QB guru's so I wonder if that would conflict though. Another name that hasn't been thrown out is Steve Mariucci. Wouldn't mind him trying for the job.
Honestly I want no part of Norv.

Steve Mariucci however I'd love to have. West Coast Pedigree is un-questionable and I saw him in an old NFL films when he was the coach of the 49ers. Great motivator. I saw in his meeting rooms he replaced all the clocks with ones that had no hands and inside instead he wrote. Now.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #35
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Honestly I want no part of Norv.

Steve Mariucci however I'd love to have. West Coast Pedigree is un-questionable and I saw him in an old NFL films when he was the coach of the 49ers. Great motivator. I saw in his meeting rooms he replaced all the clocks with ones that had no hands and inside instead he wrote. Now.
Mariucci would be a coup and probably a better high-profile alternative than a Billick. Since it doesnt look like Kubiak is getting fired this offseason, he may see the writing on the wall and realize that he needs to fix things next year or he will be unemployed. This may lead him to take over the lion's share of the offensive playcalling and gameplanning in order to save his butt.

The offense has turned the ball over too much and has lacked consistency but based on where the offense was last year and the fact that our playmaker RB has been hurt all year, I have been pretty happy with the offense. it's the defense and vanilla schemes that I have a problem with.

Richard Smith should be selling insurance. He is horrible.
Old 11-29-2007   #36
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

it'll still be gary kubiak.
Old 11-29-2007   #37
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have more of a problem with Mike Sherman staying until the end of the season, than Kyle taking over OC.I say let Sherman go to A&M and let us see how Kyle handles the rest of the season.
Old 11-29-2007   #38
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan View Post
To clear up the Mike Leach discussion, this is his philosophy on offense. It's quite an impressive read and I have no connection to Tech. He's an interesting guy for sure. I have a lot of respect for him as well, going from lawyer to football coach and winning.

I can't imagine Leach as a Houston Texan for many reasons. I can't imagine him wanting to work for an offensive minded guy who is really steering the ship. Sherman came to Houston because of some begging on the Texans part and because he couldn't get a head coaching gig at that time.

Leach is, by far, however, the most hilarious quote in all of football. I love hearing him speak on stuff--his 610 interviews were classic. Really dry, odd sense of humor.
Old 11-29-2007   #39
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Major Applewhite
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #40
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible View Post
Major Applewhite
that'd be slick, but i don't see it happening.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read