Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2007   #21
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Sign Linebacker William Kershaw | Waive Orr

Orr was not even lining up at LB. The last position he played was DE and while he played the first 2 games of the season, he didn't record a sack but did seem to get pressure. That is what suprised me the most was that he didn't see anymore game time at DE. But whatever, we exchanged special teams guys, not really that big of a deal if you ask me.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #22
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, but I believe Orr may have been the teams sack-leader a couple years ago and may even have the teams record for most sacks in a year ? Not that that number would be real high.
Like Peek & Anderson, Orr was a college DE who was a tweener who became
a fit for the Texans 3-4 at OLB. But unlike Peek who was a first-day Draft pick by the the Texans, he came much cheaper so the team could keep him.
But apparently Orr wasn't as versatile as Anderson who has played some DE and OLB both in Kubiaks 4-3 and therefor was the one to get cut.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #23
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, Here's an exchange I picked up on LZ's blog:

Quote:
Reader: I just wanted to get your opinion on the release of Shantee Orr. I know that he probably was one of the better edge rushers the Texans had, and I admit that I, like you, was scratching my head with him being inactive every week. Now they have released him. Do you know if something happened? Now, they really have no edge presence at all. I am lost.

LZ: I have no idea how he got in the doghouse so quickly. I have a hard time believing that it was just that he wasn't good enough. There almost seems like there was something else at work, but I don't have any scoop on that.
The Texans tend to keep things in house.

He got hurt on the first day of camp with a "bruise." And was at risk of not making the roster then.
Old 11-29-2007   #24
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Shantee Orr was just another one of those infamous average players that the Texans tend to hang on to too long (Faggins, Simmons, C.C., Earl, Anderson, Salaam, etc.). Kubiak & Co at least appear to be weeding these players out while replacing them with better talent.

I don't have a problem with it. It's time for this organization as a whole to rid itself of mediocrity.

Old 11-29-2007   #25
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Orr was one of my faves.

I considered him one of the faces of the team.

er, special teams that is...
Old 11-29-2007   #26
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

kcchiefs.com profile

Pro

Quote:
Athletic linebacker enters his second training camp with the Chiefs … Has the ability to play both middle and outside linebacker … Is expected to concentrate his time at outside linebacker … Could contribute on special teams while mastering the club’s defensive scheme … Spent the first 15 weeks of the 2006 season on the practice squad before being promoted for the final regular season game … Has played in one regular season contest and has seen duty in one postseason game.
College Info

Quote:
Played in 42 games (20 starts) at Maryland … Recorded 204 tackles (103 solo), 12.5 tackles for loss (-39.0 yards), 3.0 sacks (-20.0 yards) and eight QB pressures … Also registered an interception, a forced fumble and two passes defensed … Started 10 games as a senior in 2005, ranking third on the team with 76 tackles (34 solo), 5.5 tackles for loss, a sack (-2.0 yards) and a quarterback pressure … Started 10 games during his junior campaign in 2004 … Registered 74 tackles (38 solo), 6.0 stops for loss and 2.0 sacks (-18.0 yards) ... Credited with an interception, two quarterback pressures, a forced fumble, two passes defensed and two blocked kicks … Played in 11 games as a sophomore in 2003, totaling 25 tackles (18 solo), a tackle for loss and four QB pressures … Saw action in 10 games as a true freshman in 2002 … Produced 29 tackles (13 solo), a quarterback pressure and a blocked kick … Majored in Criminal Justice at Maryland.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #27
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Shantee Orr is the Luke Scott of the Texans. Both are average at best players, stuck at the bottom of the rosters, yet have somehow endeared themselves to the fans despite the fact that either player leaving is a sign that their repective team is moving in the right direction.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2007   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Shantee Orr is the Luke Scott of the Texans. Both are average at best players, stuck at the bottom of the rosters, yet have somehow endeared themselves to the fans despite the fact that either player leaving is a sign that their repective team is moving in the right direction.
^^^^^^^Thats a pretty dead-on assessment^^^^^^^^
Old 11-29-2007   #29
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dunno, but I believe Orr may have been the teams sack-leader a couple years ago and may even have the teams record for most sacks in a year ? Not that that number would be real high.
I think that would be Steve Foley...8 sacks I think....
Old 11-29-2007   #30
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I think the reason that Shantee endeared himself to fans (at least to me) was that he was part of the scrub defense that stepped up and tried to fill in the gaps during the injury-plagued 2003 season.

I think he got lost in the 3-4 to 4-3 switch. And there are always players who can't seem to survive a regime change.
Old 11-29-2007   #31
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post

kcchiefs.com profile

Pro

College Info
Lead the chief's in special teams tackle for the one game he played in 2006 with 3. At the very least he is a very good special teamer, who is younger then Orr. Can he play for us, well he is a bottom of the roster guy currently and time will tell. Plus Orr was almost let go at the end of training camp, but we traded Babin to keep him in the DE mix. Well that hasn't worked out to well up to now.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Most likely for ST purposes. Maybe the ST play as of late has been subpar? There certainly haven't been many holes to run through.
OK I get it. The guy gets off an awesome punt...we're not going to get J.J. started. What I know for a fact is our guys blocking thier gunners aren't worth wram spit. You'd think after they'd been smoked seven games in a row, they'd grab someone and take the penalty. I don't know and I ain't in the room, I hope the WR guy can block gunners.
Old 11-29-2007   #33
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Antwan Peek and Troy Evans were very good special teamers. I haven't seen anyone this year step up to take on the mantle.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3981

“I watched William coming out of college,” Holland said. “He showed some skills that he could play in this league. I think it’s a good pick up for us. He’s a young kid who has some athletic ability that we like. We’re excited he’s here and hope he can help us out. We need young players.”

just did a little more research & he seems like a really good special teams player, has blocked several kicks which means he has a quick first step, speed, reaction timing & reach. I think the Texans could also use him in 3rd/4th down situational pass rushing schemes. could be a disruptive force in the backfield coming off the edge & and pressure the pocket at least flushing his prey towards Mario. also while playing ball @ Maryland his MLB was another very cut dude (known for weight room warriors) D'Qwell Jackson of the Cleveland Browns.

Last edited by beerlover; 12-01-2007 at 03:56 AM. Reason: more input
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read