Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: How should the Texans draft in the first round?
Running Back 14 22.95%
Secondary 14 22.95%
Offensive Line 31 50.82%
Defensive Line 0 0%
Linebacker 0 0%
Fullback 2 3.28%
Tight End 0 0%
Wide Receiver 0 0%
Quarterback 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2007   #1
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 1st Round Draft Needs

I know it's a little early to start this party, but I don't think it's a bad idea to get a preliminary assessment of what you guys think we should do in the first round.

You guys know that Texans fans are used to talking about the draft in December anyway.

I know Rick Smith talks about taking BPA in the first round, but you gotta admit that we have needs.

What do you guys think?
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round Draft Needs

I'll start. We need to get the run game going to eat up clock.

I think we need an outside runner and let "Ronnie" get the carries between the tackles since he's gonna get 'em anyway.

I'm sure a DeAngelo Williams type RB will be available in the middle of the first round when we're up.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I chose OL over RB mainly because we need to remember that most RBs do not last more than 3 or 4 years. It all depends on the player though, and I'm just barely off of my "I want DBs!!!!!" phase. I could revert.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

it depends who is available, but i want an offensive tackle unless a stud corner back is available. running back can be addressed through free agency or in the third round.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Many teams have shown that a great offensive line can make any average joe with a little speed and vision look great. I say OL. Look what Hutch did for the Vikings, and how much he's crippled Shaun Alexander
Old 11-28-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Offensive Line as well. I think it's about time to get a 1st round talent Left Tackle to (a) Give Schaub that 1 extra second to throw (b) not allow Schaub to get leveled when he throws the ball and (c) create some holes for our RB's.

There are arguements for most positions, and there are those that say...oh we won't draft 'position x' in the first round. I think anything is up for grabs pretty much.

I can't wait until our DL develops and becomes absolutely dominant. I'd like for us to build our Offensive Line up to be just as dominating. That's the key to consistently winning (through the trenches). Ain't sexy but the Lombardi Trophy sure is and if you want more than one...you better have a stellar OL & DL.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: 1st Round Draft Needs

Best available at our draft spot of:

OL
RB
Secondary
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2007   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

OL
RB
Secondary
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #9
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it all depends where you are picking and what's available. You just don't draft an OL just becasue you need an OL when there is a better quality pick at RB or secondary and vice-versa. We don't know where we will be picking. Anywhere from 5th to 15th, I think.

Last edited by stingray; 11-28-2007 at 10:25 AM.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

OL
RB
Secondary
I second this.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Left tackle. Its time to get our anchor. Though, I do like the idea of maybe trading down and getting a 2nd round pick. The only other thing I would even consider is if McFadden starts to slip a little bit, I would seriously consider trying to move up and snake him. He would be the perfect face to our franchise. Hes like Reggie, but has a body to play Rb and a lot better skill set.
Old 11-28-2007   #12
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Voted for the secondary. This draft is going to be deep in RB and OL if a few juniors declare.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
it depends who is available, but i want an offensive tackle unless a stud corner back is available. running back can be addressed through free agency or in the third round.
big surprise
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

are we good enough to just take bpa
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/ma...pagewanted=all
Old 11-28-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
This is where I'm at also. Love to have Loadholt or Clady. Loadholt...I don't know where they'd move Winston...but I also know we wouldn't have to worry about forth and one anymore. And I'm not posting that the stuff in Cleveland was Erick's fault. Something this off season has to improve along the oline. Okoye on the board, Levi Brown off, I get it. No excuse not to upgrde the tallent this year. Got the cap room. Need to get younger quicker, and stronger in the o-line.

TBS...get into the third round you're gambling on transiton level of the CBs. Scouts better do heck of job agian if your waiting on the cover corner to be on line by October. September in '08 could get very messy if the new corner is suspect and Robinson is PUPed. We already know what we got as back ups. The corners and DBs who have the chance to paly corner, are going to fly off the board so fast in the second and top of the third our heads will spin. Might find another Bennit. Cleveland certianly found one in the fifth with McDonald.

If they draft Strewart...I'll be on board. I think you have a better shot at getting Stewart in the third than you do a lock down corner in the third. and I also believe you get the same package with the South Carolina guy as you do with Stewart. You'll need to get some meds for the south carolina guy no doubt, but he'll work. He's very imature but he'll work.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-28-2007 at 01:18 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
I think it all depends where you are picking and what's available. You just don't draft an OL just becasue you need an OL when there is a better quality pick at RB or secondary and vice-versa. We don't know where we will be picking. Anywhere from 5th to 15th, I think.
I guess it's more unwritten, but assume the question is..."What position do you want to be BPA when we're up to select?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Ole Miss is set up to really make a run at things next season, they will surprise a lot of people. They are returning a vast majority of their starters including (most likely) both Tackles and Guards on the OL. Snead is set to take over at QB, the top 5 wr's are going to be sophomores and juniors, all linebackers, etc. Add in Houston Nutt as the new Head Coach...

Things are really pointing to Mike Oher staying in school. (I hope so!) He could use some more development and would really help the team succeed. I think he'll be a top 10 lock in the 2009 draft if he stays.... but if he so decides to declare I would be very supportive of him being our 1st round selection. At this point I think their are other LT's that are more polished but he's got an incredible amount of potential.

Great story for those that havn't read it...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
big surprise
Sorry I don't have a hard on for Jonathan Stewart
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't vote because you posted Corner...and not cover corner. and there is a BIG difference. The difference is how much your team can chance bringing five and six instead of four. Guess what we got right now ?

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-28-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2007   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I guess it's more unwritten, but assume the question is..."What position do you want to be BPA when we're up to select?"

Ole Miss is set up to really make a run at things next season, they will surprise a lot of people. They are returning a vast majority of their starters including (most likely) both Tackles and Guards on the OL. Snead is set to take over at QB, the top 5 wr's are going to be sophomores and juniors, all linebackers, etc. Add in Houston Nutt as the new Head Coach...

Things are really pointing to Mike Oher staying in school. (I hope so!) He could use some more development and would really help the team succeed. I think he'll be a top 10 lock in the 2009 draft if he stays.... but if he so decides to declare I would be very supportive of him being our 1st round selection. At this point I think their are other LT's that are more polished but he's got an incredible amount of potential.

Great story for those that havn't read it...

Congrates on the Houston Nutt hire. I think he'll be well motivted to prove himself. Hope those that love Micheal Oher will express that love with a policy on the kid for injuries in '08. I always think that it is best to finish out your degree. Just hope he gets coverge for a worst case scenario. I agree. I've only seen him twice. He is not ready yet and would probbly sit in '08.

TBS, he's on the board I would hope the Texans would pull the trigger on the guy.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-28-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read