Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-27-2007   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN and Recycled Buzzwords

I thought it might be kind of entertaining to start a thread making fun of the NFL sports analyst we see on TV and how much they just regurgitate the same old stuff another person says and fail to add anything insightful or fresh.

This is not just ESPN, but they seem to do it the most. And not everyone at ESPN falls into this category. I like hearing Boomer, Tom Jackson, and Michael Smith for instance. And I realize it is entertainment, but can't you cover more than just the same old thing that Jim Rome, Around the Horn, PTI, and SC have already covered and do so in a manner that entertains.

So let's keep a running tab of some of the goofy things we notice, get a record of who tends to have fresh insightful information and who is just a goofball on TV. Or which buzzwords or buzz phrases that tend to run a muck after a show or two, kind of like the IBM commercials where they play Buzzword Bingo.

The one have been noticing lately is:
"blood in the water"
as in, "now they have a chance to win, they can attack while there is blood in the water".
I heard Jaws say this at least 2 maybe 3 times on MNF and I didn't watch the whole game. But I must have heard it a half dozen times before that on NFL Live, Monday night countdown, and I think I heard it a few times on Around the Horn last week when I was off of work. I know it is nothing knew, but it is making the rounds right now. They all must watch each other's shows and then try to coin a phrase for the week or something. They probably got a pool going, maybe the winner gets an honorary Pulitzer. (that could be a brand new buzzword right there)

I know I have heard several more recently, but they are not coming to mind right away.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 11-27-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN and Recycled Buzzwords

Every time I turn on ESPN all I hear about is Tom Brady & the Patriots.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX
They (ex players and coaches) are SO scripted. Ever hear Ditka on 610? You honestly wonder if he watches the NFL. "

This is so true....and they all repeat each other. I can't stand it when two of these analyst are side by side and both of their takes are exactly the same but the both say them like it is brand new information. Why not say, I agree with so and so and add some more details, compare and contrast, hell....i don't know, do something.

And they all cover the same exact stuff. First Jim Rome talks about it, then Around the Horn covers it, then PTI comes on and tells it to you again in a different format. Then SportsCenter wraps it all up for a fourth time. I am so dumb I need to here over and over apparently.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=22
Old 11-27-2007   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

it's all scripted, or at least well-rehearsed. Rome is the worst of them in that regard, since he doesn't even write his own crap.

but doesn't really take away from any of their opinions. they just want to look semi-professional on TV. eh
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got 4 words for you... (Not from ESPN - but always good for a laugh)

"Boom goes the dynamite..."

link: Boom goes.....

(note: if it is too brutal to watch, fast forward to about 2:20)
Old 11-27-2007   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I've got 4 words for you... (Not from ESPN - but always good for a laugh)

"Boom goes the dynamite..."

link: Boom goes.....

(note: if it is too brutal to watch, fast forward to about 2:20)
LMAO

I should not laugh being a Braodcast Journalism Major. OMG that is just so horriblely funny. It would have been better if he just looked down at his notes instead of trying to keep looking at the camera and the telepromp.
Old 11-27-2007   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about this one?
"Reggie Bush is a space player"
"The San Francisco 49'ers are this years surprise team"
"The Arizona Cardinals are finally going to make the playoffs"

Any I missed?
Old 11-27-2007   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
LMAO

I should not laugh being a Braodcast Journalism Major. OMG that is just so horriblely funny. It would have been better if he just looked down at his notes instead of trying to keep looking at the camera and the telepromp.
Funniest part for me was the anchor: "okay great, thanks for the look at sports"
Sportscaster: *turns head like a geek* "yeah"

Female anchor looks like she struggling to hold back laughter.
Old 11-27-2007   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

"the Texans are going to make the playoffs this year" was one i heard earlier.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
How about this one?
"Reggie Bush is a space player"
"The San Francisco 49'ers are this years surprise team"
"The Arizona Cardinals are finally going to make the playoffs"

Any I missed?
Probably, but you definitely nailed a lot of them. I might add the "Reggie as a decoy" bit.
Old 11-27-2007   #11
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
The words "Dolphins have won a game" have been curiously absent...
Old 11-27-2007   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
The words "Dolphins have won a game" have been curiously absent...
Nicely done!!!!
Old 11-27-2007   #13
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

The two stu's make me sick
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #14
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible View Post
BOOOOYAAAHH.. Got 'cha partner! (Sorry, that Saturday Night Live parody came to mind and I couldn't resist.)
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

"cool as the other side of the pillow"

Can they just retire this one already?!
Old 11-27-2007   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible View Post
"Fine as frog's hair" comes to mind.
Old 11-27-2007   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
"cool as the other side of the pillow"

Can they just retire this one already?!
I'm pretty sure that everyone besides Stuart Scott already has.
Old 11-28-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm pretty sure that everyone besides Stuart Scott already has.
I think Jaws said it a couple of weeks ago on MNF. He's full of old SC cliché’s.
Old 12-04-2007   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Half the time Jaws ends his sentences "and that's how you play quarterback in the National Football League".

He always tries to make it sound dramatic, and he never says NFL.
Old 12-04-2007   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Half the time Jaws ends his sentences "and that's how you play quarterback in the National Football League".

He always tries to make it sound dramatic, and he never says NFL.
I have come to loath Jaws in the booth. He ends everything he says like it's an ESPiN report. It annoys me beyond description.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read