Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2007   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If Holland leaves with Sherman...

If Johnny Holland leaves with Sherman, how do you think that will affect the development of our LB core next season? What changes to you see it creating? Who do you see filling that spot? Do we hire from within? Is there an assistant under Holland that would potentially move up or do we bring in someone else?

We don't have a ton of youth on our LB group other than Ryans and Diles (who I hope we can find a spot for soon!) But I always worry about chemistry when you have turnover.

What are your opinions? (I'm sure you have them)
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: If Holland leaves with Sherman...

Can he take Smith instead?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Can he take Smith instead?
Add Hoke as a freebie too.
Old 11-26-2007   #4
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
If Johnny Holland leaves with Sherman, how do you think that will affect the development of our LB core next season? What changes to you see it creating? Who do you see filling that spot? Do we hire from within? Is there an assistant under Holland that would potentially move up or do we bring in someone else?

We don't have a ton of youth on our LB group other than Ryans and Diles (who I hope we can find a spot for soon!) But I always worry about chemistry when you have turnover.

What are your opinions? (I'm sure you have them)
The only good news out of that I call the Sherman effect. If we hire a LB coach from another team, we may have an upper hand in bringing in their FA's to the team. (Obviously we would not hire someone for that reason, I'm not saying that, but this could be a nice bonus because of it).

But no, I think Ryans is smart enough to learn any new scheme, and I think that we should have at least one new player at starting OLB next year, so I don't think it's going to effect chemistry anyways.

Last edited by Dallas_Texan; 11-26-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

While we would benefit greatly from losing Hoke and Smith, either to the Aggies or just in general, we need replacements that won't just fall into their same rutt. What about Frank Bush? Wasn't he the LB coach for San Fran.
Old 11-26-2007   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Holland is a good coach. It would be best for the Texans for him to stay. It might be best for him to go for a promotion.
Old 11-26-2007   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Holland is a good coach. It would be best for the Texans for him to stay. It might be best for him to go for a promotion.
Agreed. Hopefully, he is one of those guys who would prefer to stay in the NFL.

As I understand it, he was the one that really pushed for DeMeco Ryans.
Old 11-26-2007   #8
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Agreed. Hopefully, he is one of those guys who would prefer to stay in the NFL.

As I understand it, he was the one that really pushed for DeMeco Ryans.
Maybe the Texans could "encourage" Smith to "retire", then promote Holland. But is Holland really GOOD? Outside of DeMeco, what have the linebackers done?

And Steph...I don't think anyone needed "pushing" to pick DeMeco. He was a projected 1st round pick on virtually every board. It was a no-brainer.

Last edited by DerekLee1; 11-26-2007 at 05:50 PM.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
And Steph...I don't think anyone need "pushing" to pick DeMeco. He was a projected 1st round pick on virtually every board. It was a no-brainer.
Not to Johnny's boss.

I'm surprised a "projected 1st round pick on virtually every board" made it to the second round. He was a bit of a sleeper.
Old 11-26-2007   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, the only reason Ryans slipped down was because there were some concerns about his size relative to playing inside LB. Of course we all know thats a crock, given some LB's sizes (ie. Zach Thomas and Sam Mills come to mind).
Old 11-26-2007   #11
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Maybe the Texans could "encourage" Smith to "retire", then promote Holland. But is Holland really GOOD? Outside of DeMeco, what have the linebackers done?

And Steph...I don't think anyone needed "pushing" to pick DeMeco. He was a projected 1st round pick on virtually every board. It was a no-brainer.
I have followed Johnny from playing QB/DB in HS, to A&M and on through the pro to the present time. He is a good man, a hard worker, and players listen to him.

That said the Aggies could do worse, or the Texans could do worse. If Holland is asked to go back to college, and goes then I see Frank Bush picking up his duties. That is where Bush has worked for the last decade, he has primarily been a LB coach. I do not see him leaving this year.

I think alot of the blame that Richard Smith gets is misdirected. Kubiak has his input into the type scheme he want run and Smith seem to be granting that wish.

I think the defenses lack of blitzing is a directive from Kubiak. He has repeatedly said in interviews that the front 4 have to get to the QB. And Smith has a background of working with pressure happy defenses, so the defense we see, IMO, is Kubiak's.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #12
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
IIRC, the only reason Ryans slipped down was because there were some concerns about his size relative to playing inside LB. Of course we all know thats a crock, given some LB's sizes (ie. Zach Thomas and Sam Mills come to mind).

His 40 time (4.7) was considered slow for a WILL, he was considered to small for a SAM, and no one knew he can play MIKE. Why because sometimes people forget to watch film. Demeco has great instinct, and his a film hound, so he anticipates the play, this off sets his slow 40 time.
Old 11-26-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I have followed Johnny from playing QB/DB in HS, to A&M and on through the pro to the present time. He is a good man, a hard worker, and players listen to him.

That said the Aggies could do worse, or the Texans could do worse. If Holland is asked to go back to college, and goes then I see Frank Bush picking up his duties. That is where Bush has worked for the last decade, he has primarily been a LB coach. I do not see him leaving this year.

I think alot of the blame that Richard Smith gets is misdirected. Kubiak has his input into the type scheme he want run and Smith seem to be granting that wish.

I think the defenses lack of blitzing is a directive from Kubiak. He has repeatedly said in interviews that the front 4 have to get to the QB. And Smith has a background of working with pressure happy defenses, so the defense we see, IMO, is Kubiak's.

Well, we're the lone rangers on this . But I firmly believe Gary Kubiak's finger prints are all over the defense. I have posted it many times. Smith is doing exactly, precisely what his boss is telling him to do. They may well throw him under the bus at the end of the season. Anyone believes the schemes are going to change is just fooling themselves. Makes you feel better to hang the guy on the whipping post...have at it.
Old 11-27-2007   #14
painekiller
Hall of Fame

According to the radio this afternoon, sorry I forget which channel as I was channel surfing, Sherman did ask Holland to come with him, not specified as to which position, but Holland wants to stay with the pros.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read