Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Carr vs. Manning
David Carr 6 7.50%
Eli Manning 74 92.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2007   #1
n420p69
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 n420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performern420p69 is a Legendary performer
Default David Carr vs Eli Manning

I haven't seen Carr play that much but you guys have obviously. If you could have had your choice of drafting either one of the two, who would you have drafted? To me Carr looks like when he is healthy has a bigger upside. Manning can't do anything with the talent he has on the Giants.
n420p69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: David Carr vs Eli Manning

Manning can at least make plays in between his meltdowns. He may end up Kerry Collins one day. Carr makes Rob Johnson look like Bert Jones (going old school on you).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Well, the David Carr that was drafted was alot different than the David Carr of 2005-2006. From '02 through most of '04, Carr showed signs of progress and flashes of being a good QB. Then the wheels fell off.

Eli has had a much better career to this point, even with his faults. And are we drafting either with the same '02 team we had assembled? If so, it doesn't really matter. Should have taken Peppers.
Old 11-26-2007   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'd take most any QB over David Carr.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, the David Carr that was drafted was alot different than the David Carr of 2005-2006. From '02 through most of '04, Carr showed signs of progress and flashes of being a good QB. Then the wheels fell off.

Eli has had a much better career to this point, even with his faults. And are we drafting either with the same '02 team we had assembled? If so, it doesn't really matter. Should have taken Peppers.
Carr only had like 2 games with 2 or more TD's and 201+ yards combined in a win in 70 or so starts....he never carried the team ever.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #6
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

I always feel when talking about Eli Manning the question you have to ask yourself is would he have been as big a prospect as he was if he didn't have the surname that he has.

In my opinion I don't think he would have, obviously people don't get drafted first overall for no reason, I just think many people looked at what Archie and Peyton could do and thought Eli was the same.

When you look at Roethlisberger and Rivers also, who are both much better Quarterbacks than Eli taken lower down.

Manning will not be a star in this league other than the fact he is Peytons younger brother in my opinion.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #7
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning would be my pick all day long, and twice on Sunday, compared to Carr.

Manning at least has the ability to play at an NFL league level. Carr doesn't. It really is as simple as that, when making this choice.

Manning may never turn out to match his purported 'expectation level'.

But then again there are only some many, Marino's, Montana's, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady's, in the world. He won't be one of those. He may end up being an average, middle of the pack, NFL QB. But he would kick the stuffing out of Carr, talent wise, any day of the week, IMO.
Old 11-26-2007   #8
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this poll was to determine which quarterback was worse.

Didn't read the first post.

*this explains the 1 vote for Carr...
Old 11-26-2007   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd pick Eli. He doesn't excuse away losing because he's "having fun". He actually looks like he hates losing. Novel for an NFL QB....or not.
Old 11-26-2007   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'd pick Eli. He doesn't excuse away losing because he's "having fun". He actually looks like he hates losing. Novel for an NFL QB....or not.
I agree completely...and he throws with his bare hands.
Old 11-26-2007   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Carr only had like 2 games with 2 or more TD's and 201+ yards combined in a win in 70 or so starts....he never carried the team ever.
I never said he did.
Old 11-26-2007   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Bradley Van Pelt would put Carr to shame. Nuff said!
Old 11-26-2007   #13
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post

When you look at Roethlisberger and Rivers also, who are both much better Quarterbacks than Eli taken lower down.

Manning will not be a star in this league other than the fact he is Peytons younger brother in my opinion.
At the time I thought Roethlisberger was going to be the better QB of any taken in the 1st round that year. It's debatable to some but I think Ben Roethlisberger makes a good case for me.

No thanks to Eli or Zoolander(Carr).

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by n420p69 View Post
I haven't seen Carr play that much but you guys have obviously. If you could have had your choice of drafting either one of the two, who would you have drafted? To me Carr looks like when he is healthy has a bigger upside. Manning can't do anything with the talent he has on the Giants.
OMG, my WORST freaking nightmare. David Carr to the Giants. Dude, are you on crack? (actually, you said it all when you admitted you never saw him play, actually you did when he played the Giants last season and that was one of the best games of his career) The only thing David Carr should be doing at the Meadowlands is selling hotdogs. I have spent the last few seasons watching both (side by side). I am a Giants also. My Sundays are typically with the Texans on one TV and the Giants on the other. As bad as Eli looked on Sunday, he has NEVER looked as bad as David Carr. The guy is a cancer. At least Eli has had some games where he has looked good.

The Giants need to clean house. Both Coughlin and Gilbride needs to be gone. They need to jump on Bill Cowher as soon as the season ends. Geez, I guess I better head on over to the Giants board to see if any of this nonsense is going on over there. I will put a stop to it real fast.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #15
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post

The Giants need to clean house. Both Coughlin and Gilbride needs to be gone. They need to jump on Bill Cowher as soon as the season ends.
That's the first thing that needs to happen.

Would you think Parcells would come back to the Giants? Just a what if. Would you mind? I would like to see Parcellls back in the league next year. As a NFL fan that would be great.

Old 11-26-2007   #16
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
That's the first thing that needs to happen.

Would you think Parcells would come back to the Giants? Just a what if. Would you mind? I would like to see Parcellls back in the league next year. As a NFL fan that would be great.
Parcells is probably my all time favorite NFL coach. However, you know his history. Just as soon as he would get the Giants back to competing at a championship level he would bail. I wouldn't mind seeing him at the GM level if he would stick around. The man knows talent. Just look at the Cowboys. You think they are having the success this season due to Wade Phillips? The man inherited a Parcells team.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #17
Brando
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Parcells is probably my all time favorite NFL coach. However, you know his history. Just as soon as he would get the Giants back to competing at a championship level he would bail. I wouldn't mind seeing him at the GM level if he would stick around. The man knows talent. Just look at the Cowboys. You think they are having the success this season due to Wade Phillips? The man inherited a Parcells team.

That's a fact. Parcells is one of my favorite coaches. I would like him to be back in the league instead of working for the evil empire Espn.

Old 11-26-2007   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

I would take Any QB in the league over David Carr including A QB in someone's practice Squad.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #19
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

27-2 pretty much says how carr has been playing (and has played), he career is pretty much over, manning is still a decent QB...just had a bad game that was made worse by his INTs being returned for TDs
Old 11-28-2007   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Carr had more upside in 2002 when he was drafted than Eli had when he was drafted in 2004, but all that upside has been blown to pieces. Carr is not a quality NFL QB. I don't think he's a quality backup or even a quality 3rd stringer if there is one. Eli has looked like at least an average, sometimes an above average, QB the last few years. Carr can't even reach "average" when he's dreaming of being QB.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read