Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-25-2007   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BCS Nightmare

Because I absolutely hate the BCS, I'm hoping for a nightmare scenario where the most amount of teams will cry foul.

I hope Missouri loses to Oklahoma and West Virginia loses to Pitt that way a Georgia team that didn't even win the SEC East, much less the SEC itself, plays Ohio State in the National Championship. I'm sure there would be some sort of huge outcry by multiple teams if this scenario took place, but I doubt it would cause any change in this stupid system. One can always hope though

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: BCS Nightmare

That would actually be crazy and very possible seeing how unimpressive West Virginia has been and just how crazy everything this season has been in general.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: BCS Nightmare

I think Cinci or UConn was your best shot at that...
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #4
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW, BCS bowl question.

My dad says GA gets the BCS SEC Bowl Bid because they're the highest SEC BCS team. I disagree. Isn't it the SEC champ regardless of BCS ranking?
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 11-26-2007   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Winner of SEC Championship will get the Sugar Bowl, but UGA will also get a BCS bid
Old 11-26-2007   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

It's kind of an idle hope, because the BCS is already a debacle, but I too hope for the worst. I hate college football with a passion. Until they get a playoff system, I only tune in to root for a BCS collapse (and occasional player scouting). If they ever get a playoff system, I'll tune in.
Old 11-26-2007   #7
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty sure they instituted a rule that states a team has to win their conference or they are not eligible for the BCS national championship.
Old 11-26-2007   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
I'm pretty sure they instituted a rule that states a team has to win their conference or they are not eligible for the BCS national championship.
Then how did Oklahoma play LSU in the National Championship after losing to K State in the Big 12 championship?
Old 11-26-2007   #9
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I hate college football with a passion.
i kinda like this season...
Old 11-26-2007   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

lol, the BCS is made for seasons like this. it's supposed to determine who are the two best teams, and when there are a bunch of contenders, thank god for the BCS so we can know who are the two best. love that BCS.<3

and i love that no matter how much everyone complains, they're still going to make a ton of money and they're never changing. ahh.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #11
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Then how did Oklahoma play LSU in the National Championship after losing to K State in the Big 12 championship?
They instituted after that year, thats how.
Old 11-26-2007   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

The best scenario for a playoff was averted. Boston College and South Florida would have broke the camels back. As is, Mizzoo and W. Virginia may do that anyway.
Old 11-26-2007   #13
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
They instituted after that year, thats how.
You know, I've done some research and can't find that rule so maybe they were just talking about it but didn't institute it. If its not a rule, it should be IMO.
Old 11-26-2007   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

yes they never instituted the rule. for good reason. it's possible that a team from a conference that doesn't play a championship could be considered the best team in the country and still not win their conference. let's say in the Big 10, where (for example) Illinois and Ohio State have the two best records. let's assume they don't play each other this year. Ohio State has one early conference loss, and Illinois runs the table in the conference, but lost 3 games out of conference. Illinois is in the Rose Bowl and Ohio State is left out of the championship. not the most likely scenario but it's certainly possible.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #15
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Ironically enough (and maybe this is a completely ESPN generated story) the Big 12 and SEC are complainig about their conference championships.

Hmmmm, greed (I think it is safe to assume these games weren't instituted solely for the glory of the conference!) coming back to bite you?

And don't say NEVER change Kast, just SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY change, lol. Too many contracts and sponsors for anything other than baby steps, in whatever direction the BCS is headed.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 11-26-2007   #16
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Every other football division including D1 FCS has Playoffs. It's a couple big wigs who want their teams in the BCS games every year and for the money. Until they have a 16 team playoff who knows who the best team is.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
lol, the BCS is made for seasons like this. it's supposed to determine who are the two best teams, and when there are a bunch of contenders, thank god for the BCS so we can know who are the two best. love that BCS.<3

and i love that no matter how much everyone complains, they're still going to make a ton of money and they're never changing. ahh.
Kas I understand your perspective as I have read 3 or 4 posts of yours talking about the BCS as a good system. I just don't understand how WVU can be #2 and Ohio State can be behind them. Honestly, the only reason I see for it is that WVU lost in the beginning of the season and Ohio State lost at the end of the season. That's what seems to determine the #1 and #2 at the end of the season. I just don't think that's how it should be.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Kas I understand your perspective as I have read 3 or 4 posts of yours talking about the BCS as a good system. I just don't understand how WVU can be #2 and Ohio State can be behind them. Honestly, the only reason I see for it is that WVU lost in the beginning of the season and Ohio State lost at the end of the season. That's what seems to determine the #1 and #2 at the end of the season. I just don't think that's how it should be.
Losing late hurts you, Kansas at 11-1 dropped completely out of the national title picture, while 11-1 teams who had an early loss are now ahead of them, not to mention Kansas lost to then #4, now #1.
Old 11-26-2007   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's also how Michigan managed to climb back into the rankings until Ohio State. They lost early, to a subdivision school, and then lost the next week as well, but after a fairly solid stretch, they climbed back into the top 25. If this had happened mid-season instead of the first two games, Michigan would never have had a chance to climb. Period.
Old 11-26-2007   #20
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

One reason I am glad that Hawaii is still undefeated and that their last win was against a top 20 team is that it points out the hypocrisy of the BCS. The BCS is only set up for a few elitist schools. The little dog never has a chance like in every other major college sport.

Go June Jones and the Rainbow Warriors.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read