Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2007   #121
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I'm about done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I wouldn't call the NFC East too shabby.
My bad I meant West, but you get the point.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #122
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And then there's the guys who have 137 posts or so. Guys who either (A) lurked around for years, too scared to post (perhaps), or they are guys who have (B) just recently joined the discussion boards.

I haven't seen any of the "old guard" poke fun of Herv. But I have definitely seen some classless fans, those who weren't here for the beginning, who are piling on and puffing their chests out as if they are real bad dudes.
That's me, the chest puffing lurker too scared to post. Before you lay down suppressing fire, at least be in the right grid.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #123
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 41977 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And then there's the guys who have 137 posts or so. Guys who either (A) lurked around for years, too scared to post (perhaps), or they are guys who have (B) just recently joined the discussion boards.
It's the guys with about 41 posts who've been lurking around since last December that are really get on my nerves.
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #124
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I'm sorry. Maybe I should have joined the support group, given Herv a big hug and tell him it's going to be alright. My apologies, it just read like all the rest of the quitters posts.
I guess rooting for a lost cause for 6 years never causes even the slightest frustration in you? You can be happy that our team is a joke and has never posted a winning record, much less won three games in a row in a season?

Braindead or spiked koolaide....I'm not sure which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I will say that if this exact post was posted by someone else, perhaps a random poster, there would not be as much support or as much "it's ok, your right" posts.
Being a 'regular' has it's positives...we know Herv and consider him a good friend. BIG difference than a noob that has no history or background to consider.

Sometimes reputation of the speaker carries more weight than others. For instance, if President Bush says a terrorist is in a building, we might grant him a bit more credibility than say, Barney the 'hello guy' at your local Wal-Mart says the same thing.

This thread is called venting, folks. As in tired of rooting for a bland product whose destiny sometimes appears to be a lost cause. Rattle off all the positives, the hoped-fors next years, and all that jazz, but at the end of the day: 29-61, and we still suck after six straight seasons.

Old 11-26-2007   #125
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Being a 'regular' has it's positives...we know Herv and consider him a good friend. BIG difference than a noob that has no history or background to consider.

Sometimes reputation of the speaker carries more weight than others. For instance, if President Bush says a terrorist is in a building, we might grant him a bit more credibility than say, Barney the 'hello guy' at your local Wal-Mart says the same thing.

This thread is called venting, folks. As in tired of rooting for a bland product whose destiny sometimes appears to be a lost cause. Rattle off all the positives, the hoped-fors next years, and all that jazz, but at the end of the day: 29-61, and we still suck after six straight seasons.

I realize that but no matter who it comes from when you say your done it means the same thing. Almost everybody is frustrated. When it comes to just being tired of losing, I don't really see how anybody's reputation supercedes anyone elses. Seems that the subject is about the level of tolerance that you have for losing, not your reputation as a poster.

It's venting unless he leaves, then it is a goodbye thread.

I'm sure age has alot to do with it. I'm only 20. I feel and hope I have alot more time to watch football and enjoy life. Spending my Sunday watching a losing team at my age doesn't seem to be much of a problem for me. However, I can see how it may be a problem if I were working 40 hours a week and Sunday was one of my only days to relax.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 11-26-2007 at 05:20 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #126
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I guess rooting for a lost cause for 6 years never causes even the slightest frustration in you? You can be happy that our team is a joke and has never posted a winning record, much less won three games in a row in a season?

Braindead or spiked koolaide....I'm not sure which.
Sure it does, pisses me off to no end, and living in Cowboy country doesn't make it any easier, but I'm pretty certain I haven't stated that I'm "done with the team" or "not watching any more".

Quote:

To one of the other posters points…if you take away Herv’s number of posts, would you be defending the poster or the content?
Old 11-26-2007   #127
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

To one of the other posters points…if you take away Herv’s number of posts, would you be defending the poster or the content?
Actually yes... In other words, I would attack the post not the poster, stating what I disagree with and why.
Old 11-26-2007   #128
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually the frustrating thing is that the team continues to make the same mistakes year after year as Herb pointed out. The corporate culture is hard to change.

Wasted first pick. The "give Mario some time excuses" are an echo of the same thing for Carr. Carr runs out of bounds for a sack, Mario gets stoned by a tight end on a running play. But he's still learning! Hardly.

Bad signing with big bonuses. Todd Wade=Anthony Weaver. Eric Moulds and Ahman Green. The last three are on Kubes - he was in control even when Casserly was here. Don't pass the buck for him.

Remember how the Texans would be fired up because "Kubes" brings leadership? The Browns were the team that wanted to take that game by the throat yesterday, and they did. The Texans got beat physically as well as mentally. I don't want to say heartless, because a lot of players give their all. I'll just say the team has no soul.

What do we hear after every game? Capers: We didn't execute. Kubes: It was my fault. Well then change something.

Many think this is a completely different Texans team than before. Well, it does have new players and a better quarterback. Other than that, on field results are about the same - for the same reasons.

If the Texans can go 2-3 from here on out, they'll match the best record of the Capers/Carr era. I keep reading about being two years removed from a two win team. They're only three years removed from a seven win team as well.
Old 11-26-2007   #129
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Actually the frustrating thing is that the team continues to make the same mistakes year after year as Herb pointed out. The corporate culture is hard to change.

Wasted first pick. The "give Mario some time excuses" are an echo of the same thing for Carr. Carr runs out of bounds for a sack, Mario gets stoned by a tight end on a running play. But he's still learning! Hardly.

Bad signing with big bonuses. Todd Wade=Anthony Weaver. Eric Moulds and Ahman Green. The last three are on Kubes - he was in control even when Casserly was here. Don't pass the buck for him.

Remember how the Texans would be fired up because "Kubes" brings leadership? The Browns were the team that wanted to take that game by the throat yesterday, and they did. The Texans got beat physically as well as mentally. I don't want to say heartless, because a lot of players give their all. I'll just say the team has no soul.

What do we hear after every game? Capers: We didn't execute. Kubes: It was my fault. Well then change something.

Many think this is a completely different Texans team than before. Well, it does have new players and a better quarterback. Other than that, on field results are about the same - for the same reasons.

If the Texans can go 2-3 from here on out, they'll match the best record of the Capers/Carr era. I keep reading about being two years removed from a two win team. They're only three years removed from a seven win team as well.

But are you quitting?
Old 11-26-2007   #130
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But are you quitting?
I quit a long time ago.
Old 11-26-2007   #131
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

If any of you want to be "done with this", then be done with it. Just don't come back a couple of years from now thumping your chest telling everyone "I was a fan all along; I've stuck with them since the beginning". Feeling disgusted and venting frustration is one thing; but you can't tell me that this team that's on the field right now isn't trying their hardest out there. I don't see a single player not giving it everything on the field. Kubiak gets fired up on the sidelines. Bob McNair jumps up and down every time we score. Don't tell me those guys don't want to win. It's not lack of effort; it's lack of talent, and THAT will get fixed in time.

But on this bus to the SuperBowl, it's for all my boys and girls that have been with me since Day One. The rest of you can just read it in the papers the next day.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #132
ActualTexan
upright biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
If any of you want to be "done with this", then be done with it. Just don't come back a couple of years from now thumping your chest telling everyone "I was a fan all along; I've stuck with them since the beginning". Feeling disgusted and venting frustration is one thing; but you can't tell me that this team that's on the field right now isn't trying their hardest out there. I don't see a single player not giving it everything on the field. Kubiak gets fired up on the sidelines. Bob McNair jumps up and down every time we score. Don't tell me those guys don't want to win. It's not lack of effort; it's lack of talent, and THAT will get fixed in time.

But on this bus to the SuperBowl, it's for all my boys and girls that have been with me since Day One. The rest of you can just read it in the papers the next day.
no offense...but did you actually read this thread?
ActualTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #133
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualTexan View Post
no offense...but did you actually read this thread?
I got through about half of it and gave up. I'm just tired of the threats of "I'm quitting on this team".
Old 11-26-2007   #134
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 77683 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is a much different team otherwise people would not get so worked up about a loss. We expect this team to go out and win were as before we were hopefull and felt fortunate if we beat the other team.

We are three years removed from seven and nine but in that three years everything has changed. We have a new HC, GM, QB, new offensive schemes, new defensive schemes, new personnel at just about every position. You really have to look at it as year one and year two. IMO, the biggest thing that has held this team back was changing from the 34 to the 43. We had no DE's, no OLB's and no Safeties to play the 43. So have to draft Defense but at the same time try and draft offensive help that will fit the new offensive schemes.

Now we are changing again, Sherman leaving raises another question, are we going to run the Denver Zone block or continue to run Green Bay's style?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #135
ActualTexan
upright biped

Quote:
I got through about half of it and gave up. I'm just tired of the threats of "I'm quitting on this team".
....got it. No prob.
ActualTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #136
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
This is a much different team otherwise people would not get so worked up about a loss. We expect this team to go out and win were as before we were hopefull and felt fortunate if we beat the other team.

We are three years removed from seven and nine but in that three years everything has changed. We have a new HC, GM, QB, new offensive schemes, new defensive schemes, new personnel at just about every position. You really have to look at it as year one and year two. IMO, the biggest thing that has held this team back was changing from the 34 to the 43. We had no DE's, no OLB's and no Safeties to play the 43. So have to draft Defense but at the same time try and draft offensive help that will fit the new offensive schemes.

Now we are changing again, Sherman leaving raises another question, are we going to run the Denver Zone block or continue to run Green Bay's style?

I don't think they get to start over at year one. The Texans were better when Kubiak got them than when they started from scratch.

Changing to a defensive scheme that doesn't fit the personnel isn't a very good reason to give them more time. Even if the theory is true, it was self inflicted. Having the wrong scheme for the available talent was the classic problem for the Palmer/Carr or the zone blocking scheme/Wade and Riley @ tackle offensive problems.
Old 11-26-2007   #137
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think they get to start over at year one. The Texans were better when Kubiak got them than when they started from scratch.

Changing to a defensive scheme that doesn't fit the personnel isn't a very good reason to give them more time. Even if the theory is true, it was self inflicted. Having the wrong scheme for the available talent was the classic problem for the Palmer/Carr or the zone blocking scheme/Wade and Riley @ tackle offensive problems.
TOTALLY disagree here. Capers and Casserly RUINED this team. Bad personnel and a losing mentality hurts a team for years. Starting fresh from nothing lets you mold a team the way you want it. Would you rather build a house from scratch, or inherit an old house that's had pets soiling the carpet and kids tearing up the yard and drunk friends knocking holes in the walls and rotting fence boards, peeling paint, etc., etc. It's much harder to turn a team around than to start from scratch. Ask the Bengals. They were in the cellar for a decade and a half.
Old 11-26-2007   #138
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Would you rather build a house from scratch, or inherit an old house that's had pets soiling the carpet and kids tearing up the yard and drunk friends knocking holes in the walls and rotting fence boards, peeling paint, etc., etc.
I'd rather have a good analogy.
Old 11-26-2007   #139
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd rather have a good analogy.
OK...build a new car from an auto parts store (with some junkyard parts where needed), or inherit a jalopy with bent rims (Domanick Davis), pistons that won't fire (Carr), no bumpers (offensive line), busted steering column (bad coaching), and a bent frame (lousy draft picks)? Oh...but the exhaust system works well (AJ).
Old 11-26-2007   #140
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I realize that but no matter who it comes from when you say your done it means the same thing. Almost everybody is frustrated. When it comes to just being tired of losing, I don't really see how anybody's reputation supercedes anyone elses. Seems that the subject is about the level of tolerance that you have for losing, not your reputation as a poster.
You stated: "I will say that if this exact post was posted by someone else, perhaps a random poster, there would not be as much support or as much "it's ok, your right" posts."

The reputation of a noob or 'random poster' does not exist. Herv has been a long time member of the board and we know how deep his loyalty to the team has always been. Part of being happy about winning is being angry over losses. Venting is one of the by-products of being angry. This thread is a vent rant.

Why is a person's fan support for a team questioned because of perceived "tolerance" towards garbage ball and consistently losing games? This makes no sense to me.

If you're happy with losing, then I contend you don't really care to begin with.

Quote:
It's venting unless he leaves, then it is a goodbye thread.
He never said he was leaving. His exact words were "I think I'm done caring for the year.". I reached that point earlier in the season. I still wear my hardhat and jerseys proudly to every game, and watch 100% of the away games, but I'm not basing my happiness and emotional state on a failing consumer entertainment product. Life is much richer and deeper than just living vicariously through a sports team.

Quote:
Sure it does, pisses me off to no end, and living in Cowboy country doesn't make it any easier, but I'm pretty certain I haven't stated that I'm "done with the team" or "not watching any more".
Herv never said he was quitting. That is you blowing it out of your assumption. Comprehension of points is in order in for good communication skills.

Quote:
Read his original post again. Tell me what you disagree with. It seems that you are Don Quixote attacking imaginary diseases, because what you are implying was never said to begin with.

Yes, I'd defend what the original post says regardless of who said it. I'm tired of watching a garbage product on the field and have serious concerns that the McNair FO runs this team like a business to make money instead of running it to be a championship caliber franchise. It's my opinion, but there is a lot of evidence available to support the premise.

Questioning the status quo does not equate to quitting, though....well, maybe in your mind it does, but I will not assume that is the case.

Quote:
But are you quitting?
If I put sprinkles on a cat turd and tell you it's a brownie, would you eat it?

Again, a rant does not necessarily equal quit.

Page 6 (or 7 whatever), and the original post should be mentioned for clarity to all involved:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
6 years of "keep your head up and quit panicking every time they lose" has me just about ready to walk away. As a matter of fact I think that's exactly where I am. Screw this mess. I've watched 115 games of almost exclusively bad football and I'm tired of it.

Honestly I'd rather watch no football at all than watch consistently bad football with no end in sight. The Texans are institutionally ignorant (still), poorly coached (still), loaded with physical specimens lacking genuine football skills (still), and despite improved statistical performances don't look any better as a group than they did in 2003 or 2004.

I'm not upset about the loss. I know many of you might not believe that but I trust that the posters who know me do. I'm upset about the way we lost and the way we continue to lose. I'm upset about a the damned turnover factory that Gary Kubiak seems to be running on double-shifts. I'm upset about the defense that can't get off the field when it needs to or stop a running back, or pressure a QB. I'm upset about the slugs we've wasted picks on and about the picks we didn't make when the player was right in front of our noses. I'm upset about the free agents we've signed and the ones we passed on who went on to play well for other teams.

I'm upset about our identity-less offense that seems to always be one play away from shooting itself in the foot. I'm sick of the Mike & Gary show and how they consistently go for 5 yards when we need 8. I'm sick of the poorly timed gimmicks and the apologies as Gary Kubiak thumps the podium while telling us all that "x" was (or wasn't) working and that it was his fault that they went away from it (or stuck with it too long).

Gary Kubiak is Hugh Campbell wearing a Butthead mask. Gary Kubiak is clearly in far over his head.

I think I'm done caring for the year. I'm getting close to being done caring at all. I don't like getting this upset on Sundays. I was a happier person having happier weekends before Bob McNair decided to play football owner (badly).
Attack the post, not the poster. I'd really like to engage any Texans apologist(s) that wish to counter Herv's points, because I've got some swamp property in Arizona that you might want to purchase.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read