Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2007   #201
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79515 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I'm about done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
However, before I knew it next year was already here and the Cup was now just a memory. It's a never ending cycle. Kinda like drugs.
That's why I love my Rockets championship video. It's the perpetual roach in the ashtray.
Old 11-27-2007   #202
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
Hello I am looking for a new sport ,I need a team that is struggling and no fans .
Not only do I drive the Bandwagon , I am the Bandwagon!
hehe, competitive belly-button lint collecting. There's a sport for ya' to bandwagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
You obviously weren't in sports bars directly after the 2-0 start. Boy, there were finally some Texans fans about. There was at least the beginnings of a bandwagon. Peeps were fired up.
No, I wasn't in a sports bar (don't drink anymore), but I'd say those were probably Texans fans that finally had a team to feel good about. They came out of hiding for a week or so there. Big back-to-back wins....probably one of our top five highlights in franchise history. (damn, that's just sad to hear myself say....)

Maybe it's just me, but "bandwagon" is usually a term I reserve for teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, Steelers, Bulls, Patriots, etc. Continuous winning records and numerous championships in the history seem to be the teams that people want to jump on board, NOT the lowly expansion Texans with a rich tradition of losing and futility. Perhaps I'm just old school that way, though.
Old 11-27-2007   #203
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Maybe it's just me, but "bandwagon" is usually a term I reserve for teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, Steelers, Bulls, Patriots, etc. Continuous winning records and numerous championships in the history seem to be the teams that people want to jump on board, NOT the lowly expansion Texans with a rich tradition of losing and futility. Perhaps I'm just old school that way, though.
If you attended games in the Dome pre-1977 you know that LYB was built on the bandwagon element. So was Glanville/Pardee's teams in the context of emergence from the dark era of the early 80's. So will the Texans first playoff era team. Many of the fans jumping on were doing it because of the excitement that was generated, not because they were a bunch of die hards in hibernation.

I know a lot of people who won't give the Texans a second look until they 'contend.' Many of them will be the younger folks that haven't had the opportunity to have a winner (read: playoff contender) in their back yard and are looking for a team to root for - whether they realize it or not.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #204
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
If you attended games in the Dome pre-1977 you know that LYB was built on the bandwagon element. So was Glanville/Pardee's teams in the context of emergence from the dark era of the early 80's. So will the Texans first playoff era team. Many of the fans jumping on were doing it because of the excitement that was generated, not because they were a bunch of die hards in hibernation.

I know a lot of people who won't give the Texans a second look until they 'contend.' Many of them will be the younger folks that haven't had the opportunity to have a winner (read: playoff contender) in their back yard and are looking for a team to root for - whether they realize it or not.
I really think the Texans could have a big fan base too.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #205
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I really think the Texans could have a big fan base too.
They do. That wasn't my point.

"Built on" was a bad choice of words. There was and is a core foundation of diehards, but the bandwagon element is what made us stand in line for single game seats and SROs in the Dome parking lot back in the day - and that element is alive and well today.

Last edited by aj.; 11-27-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2007   #206
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And, "No," post count is not the only thing that matters.

This is being proved by the same ones I am calling out: The ones who build their post count off of cute little sarcastic comments.

My posts are usually medium-to-long in length. I have a lot to share about what I think about this team. I respond to others with my own opinions and ideas. They might not be correct, but they have some basis in constructiveness (if that's a word).

So here's the point where someone comes along and rattles off something corny, or attach a funny photo. Because, after all, we like to stay on topic with our posts, correct?
Then there are times when you need to extract the rather large stick wedged between the two fluffy pillows and realize that the thread has run its course.

We get it, you like Herv, and he is given the free pass to say he quite the Texans were as the hundreds of others who have written the same posts have been crucified, tared and feather, and ran out of the city.

But thanks for keeping us on course Cpt. Bringdown.

Oh, and thanks for thinking that I am cute.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #207
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Herv said something sad
My feelings hurt. I hurt yours!
Emo forum soon.
Old 11-28-2007   #208
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

yep, I realize that and agree. But, a 2-0 Texans is nowhere near the Luv Ya Blue or run-and-shoot Oilers, so my bandwagon example is applicable. I'd say the 2-0 fans were folks who have been rooting for the team and finally had something to hope for and be proud of. Once the team actually has a winning record and makes it to the playoffs, your example of bandwagon would be in full effect.

Until then, I maintain that a losing franchise does not have a bandwagon built just yet.
Old 11-28-2007   #209
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Until then, I maintain that a losing franchise does not have a bandwagon built just yet.
I tend to agree with this.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #210
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And, "No," post count is not the only thing that matters.

This is being proved by the same ones I am calling out: The ones who build their post count off of cute little sarcastic comments.

My posts are usually medium-to-long in length. I have a lot to share about what I think about this team. I respond to others with my own opinions and ideas. They might not be correct, but they have some basis in constructiveness (if that's a word).

So here's the point where someone comes along and rattles off something corny, or attach a funny photo. Because, after all, we like to stay on topic with our posts, correct?
GP, it's not the size of the post that matters, it's what you do with it.

maybe i post the abrupt and absurd because that's how i deal with the pains of being a fan of a team that's never had a winning record (see DB's post earlier about bandwagons and the like)... or maybe i do it in an attempt to lighten the place up. for christ's sake, this is an INTERNET message board... if you wanna poop in everyone's dessert and have every topic be a somber, formal display of points and counter-points, then fine. Do it. nobody's getting in your way.
frankly, the fact that you are complaining about it leaves me a little bewildered because one-liners aren't that tough to scroll past... why the upturned nose? are our jokes insulting your acumen in some way? what's the point of stressing so much over the internet?

om shanti om.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Herv said something sad
My feelings hurt. I hurt yours!
Emo forum soon.
Prophetic Haiku
I pray you'll be proven wrong.
emo boards = awful.
Old 11-28-2007   #211
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Maybe our definition of bandwagon is different.

This franchise came into existence with a large component of fringe fans. That group (including some die hards) has been dropping by the wayside for a while now because of 'natural causes' (W-L record) and self inflicted injury (the litany of bad management decisions).

I'm assuming most of the die hards are still hanging around. I'm having a hard time believing the fringe element from the '02-'04 years is still around. I see the empty seats this year up in the corners. I see emptys and large turnover every week in the section to my immediate right (101).

I'm basing my point in part on the number of people who sat around me in 2002-04 that are no longer there, and people at work that used to own non-PSL season tickets that no longer do. Hell, the entire city of Austin is one big bandwagon.

I'm not sure what your 2-0 reference means - I must not have read that - but I have friends and neighbors who were all 'fired up' after that Carolina game that now ask me periodically how the Texans are doing because they honestly don't know.
Old 11-28-2007   #212
SICLICK
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 SICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden cover

Hey it could be worse....we could be the Dolphins.
Texans will only get better. GO TEXANS!!!!
SICLICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #213
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1035 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Not going forward? Maybe you are unaware of where we have been the last 6 years. Our season was DONE by now last season. We were looking at who we could and should get. The year before that our season was done before week 8. Also no pass rush on Brees...I am not sure what game you watched.

No matter how you try to slice it up, its 5-6, a record we've never seen this far into the season. People don't chalk us up as wins any more. People are overreacting and expected too much from them this year. The journey to being a good team isn't going to look pretty, it isn't going to always look good. But if you see your record go up DESPITE your schedule, it usually means the team improved. Beating teams you should beat and losing to teams you should does not make you a crappy team, it makes you a mediocre team. A crappy team is looking at the NFL draft right now, things could be MUCH worse than they are now.
I'm not disagreeing with you, meerly pointing out why a fan would become impatient. I never said the Texans were crappy, just that they had no identity. Sometimes they play good enough to beat bad teams, play bad enough to lose to good teams, and have the occasional WTF was that game (i.e., vs. Falcons and Chargers).
By the way, do you have video of the "consistent pass rush" plays vs. the Saints you could post, because I didn't see it at all.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #214
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Maybe our definition of bandwagon is different.

This franchise came into existence with a large component of fringe fans. That group (including some die hards) has been dropping by the wayside for a while now because of 'natural causes' (W-L record) and self inflicted injury (the litany of bad management decisions).

I'm assuming most of the die hards are still hanging around. I'm having a hard time believing the fringe element from the '02-'04 years is still around. I see the empty seats this year up in the corners. I see emptys and large turnover every week in the section to my immediate right (101).

I'm basing my point in part on the number of people who sat around me in 2002-04 that are no longer there, and people at work that used to own non-PSL season tickets that no longer do. Hell, the entire city of Austin is one big bandwagon.

I'm not sure what your 2-0 reference means - I must not have read that - but I have friends and neighbors who were all 'fired up' after that Carolina game that now ask me periodically how the Texans are doing because they honestly don't know.
yeah, good points. I can see the definition from either perspective. Myself, I'd consider those types of Texans fans to be more casual, which in and of itself is probably a form of bandwagon.

Then there are the fans that don't watch any football and might not even own a single piece of Texans merchandise. These are the typical bandwagon fans in my mind, simply because the Houston Texans are not even on their radar until a worthy product is presented to them.

Perhaps it's just a degree thing, not quite as black and white because of different points of view. But I still find it rather amusing that a perpetual losing team like ours could even have a bandwagon. I've just never seen anyone inclined to suddenly start rooting for losers. Did the Saints ever have a bandwagon during their first 20 years without a winning record?
Old 11-28-2007   #215
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But I still find it rather amusing that a perpetual losing team like ours could even have a bandwagon.
We have one - it's just empty now ... unlike September 9, 2002 when you couldn't jump on because it was full. They'll be back some day.
Old 11-28-2007   #216
ActualTexan
upright biped

Quote:
Hell, the entire city of Austin is one big bandwagon.
Why does everyone keep saying this about Austin. At the core, Austin isn't a bit damn different than anywhere else. When the Texans look competitive, more people talk, watch, discuss, and think about the Texans. When they loose repeatedly, the opposite happens. Take a look in Reliant, and the exact same damn thing takes place IN Houston. When the Texan build a competitive tradition, that will change. End of story.

Austin fans have the Longhorns to concern themselves with. If UT was in Houston or Dallas (or Amarillo for that matter) and had a 100 year-old winning tradition, people in those cities would act just as they do in Austin. End of story.

Because of a long history of great football, Austin has a large Cowboy fanbase. Big deal. Name a city in Texas that doesn't. End of story.

I have friends that are Steelers fans, Vikings fans, Auburn fans, USC fans, etc, etc, etc. I have never felt the need to think that they suck (or disparage them in any way) - which is the most common theme on a HUGE number of posts on this board outside of straight Xs and Os.

SOME Texans fans have a big chip and a red-headed step-child mentality that spills over the Xs and Os and goes into slapping anyone that doesn't drink the koolaide - which is why I chimed in on this thread to begin with.

Ah well...sports trash talk. What an improvement on the game. I'd rather just have some good football.

(You can have the soapbox back now)
ActualTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #217
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell, the entire city of Austin is one big bandwagon.

hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #218
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

I know where you are coming from. I had been a NY Jet fan for 30+ years and got fed up with them and jumped ship earlier this year. I decided to root for the Texans as my team because they are a young, up and coming team and I didn't want to pick a great team like the Patriots and be a bandwagon fan. As I've watched them this year, the Texans have the base for a very good team that just needs help in a few spots (o-line, rb and db). I really believe that they are going to be a force to be reckoned with in a year or two. You've gone through the bad times, hang around to enjoy the good times. It should be fun!!!!! Keep the faith..... a lot of injuries this year have derailed them but they will bounce back. Just my
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #219
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualTexan View Post
Why does everyone keep saying this about Austin. At the core, Austin isn't a bit damn different than anywhere else. When the Texans look competitive, more people talk, watch, discuss, and think about the Texans. When they loose repeatedly, the opposite happens. Take a look in Reliant, and the exact same damn thing takes place IN Houston. When the Texan build a competitive tradition, that will change. End of story.

Austin fans have the Longhorns to concern themselves with. If UT was in Houston or Dallas (or Amarillo for that matter) and had a 100 year-old winning tradition, people in those cities would act just as they do in Austin. End of story.

Because of a long history of great football, Austin has a large Cowboy fanbase. Big deal. Name a city in Texas that doesn't. End of story.

I have friends that are Steelers fans, Vikings fans, Auburn fans, USC fans, etc, etc, etc. I have never felt the need to think that they suck (or disparage them in any way) - which is the most common theme on a HUGE number of posts on this board outside of straight Xs and Os.

SOME Texans fans have a big chip and a red-headed step-child mentality that spills over the Xs and Os and goes into slapping anyone that doesn't drink the koolaide - which is why I chimed in on this thread to begin with.

Ah well...sports trash talk. What an improvement on the game. I'd rather just have some good football.

(You can have the soapbox back now)
I know where you are coming from in a way. I've detailed it too many times to count on here but I grew up in Cowboy country in Ft. Worth. I was...5-7 when I started getting engrossed in sports and that was mid to late 70s when the Cowboys/Steelers thing was going and it was a heyday. I've been a hardcore fan, although a more mature one recently, ever since. The thing was though, people up there didn't have any hatred towards Houston..at least that I ever saw. My oldest bro went to UT and was there for Earl. I was taken in to since you idolize your older sibs. So Earl in Houston was fun for me too. When I came here in 1993 I rooted for local teams even though my home teams were Dallas teams. Since the Texans came I was pretty casual. I joined these sites a couple of years back to discuss how I thought Carr was ruining the team and that it was hard to go full on board with them with him around. I'm still here. I cheer for them to win now and try to be supportive. I'm still upset more when the Boys lose....people here know that...but I'm coming around to my team here and have been for the last couple of years. I want to support the team. I'll put it this way, I'm not on any Cowboy boards. So I see the chip on the shoulder thing and it is understandable but frustrating coming from my perspective. But I like hearing the rants and I love the talk here and I see the diehards and want the best from the organization.
Old 11-28-2007   #220
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't come here much anymore. There was a time when i thought i'd always come to these boards and hangout after the game. This place has changed. We can't give up a field goal without somebody coming on this board to start a thread calling for somebodies job. We are in the midst of one of our best seasons EVER and some of you can't enjoy that. We have a legitimate chance to win every time we take the field. When has that ever been true. This is a forum of Chaos and Snark, of Anger and Insult, and of Arguements long rehashed. I don't come here much anymore. In fact, the only reason I haven't just deleted this place from my bookmarks is that some of my best friends are here, and have shady cell phone plans. Double Barrell is a great guy, and made me and my girlfriend feel more then welcome at his tailgate. He's what makes this board good. PD is an awesome guy when you get to know him, and is a blast to go to a Chiefs game with. Jerek is a genuine, caring, thoughtfull person who I consider myself lucky to be friends with. I could go on and on, listing the people who i really care about on this board...Vinny, Elle, Diego, Bob and Will, Dream. These are my friends. KT up in austin, helping me out with parking....just genuinely good people. My point is, if your coming to this board to complain and argue and whine, your missing out on the chance to know some really good people. Herv is an exceptionally good guy. Instead of coming up with a snap response, if you haven't, then take the time to really talk to herv and get to know him. /2 cents

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read