Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2007   #181
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: I'm about done with this

or maybe, some may be in need of a pair of peepers like those worn my good friend Lt. Geordi La Forge.

Old 11-27-2007   #182
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I would be better off in life if I just didn't care about sports period. Sports are almost like an addicting drug. Even if you win it all the "high" doesn't last. I suffered with the NY Rangers for years, they were the perennial playoff chokers for decades. Some said they were cursed because when something could go wrong it typically always would. Opposing fans would chant "1940!" at their road games since that was the last time they ever touched the Cup. Of course I wasn't born before 1940 so I never saw them win anything. FINALLY in 1994 it happened and they made us fans suffer the whole way by having all the games close, OT, and almost blowing Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals. However in 1994 they finally brought back the Cup. That same year I saw the Rockets win their first NBA Championship. At the time everyone thought I was a bandwagon jumper (I lived in Delaware) because I rooted for both the Rangers and Rockets. Only those that knew me could testify that I have been rooting for those teams my whole life. Seeing the Rangers win the Cup was the greatest sports high I have ever been on, it was great. The Rockets thing was icing on the cake however I am not as big a basketball fan. However no sooner than I can wipe the champaign off my mouth fellow fans were already talking about next year. Who are is coming back? Is the coach going to stay? Can the Rangers repeat? I was thinking "I don't want next year, I want to celebrate THIS year". However, before I knew it next year was already here and the Cup was now just a memory. It's a never ending cycle. Kinda like drugs.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #183
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I know I would be better off in life if I just didn't care about sports period. Sports are almost like an addicting drug. Even if you win it all the "high" doesn't last. I suffered with the NY Rangers for years, they were the perennial playoff chokers for decades. Some said they were cursed because when something could go wrong it typically always would. Opposing fans would chant "1940!" at their road games since that was the last time they ever touched the Cup. Of course I wasn't born before 1940 so I never saw them win anything. FINALLY in 1994 it happened and they made us fans suffer the whole way by having all the games close, OT, and almost blowing Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals. However in 1994 they finally brought back the Cup. That same year I saw the Rockets win their first NBA Championship. At the time everyone thought I was a bandwagon jumper (I lived in Delaware) because I rooted for both the Rangers and Rockets. Only those that knew me could testify that I have been rooting for those teams my whole life. Seeing the Rangers win the Cup was the greatest sports high I have ever been on, it was great. The Rockets thing was icing on the cake however I am not as big a basketball fan. However no sooner than I can wipe the champaign off my mouth fellow fans were already talking about next year. Who are is coming back? Is the coach going to stay? Can the Rangers repeat? I was thinking "I don't want next year, I want to celebrate THIS year". However, before I knew it next year was already here and the Cup was now just a memory. It's a never ending cycle. Kinda like drugs.

Great post and analogy!! For me, I guess the difference between Oilers days and now as a Texan fan, is that I went from being an addict to a social user... In other words, I no longer throw shoes at my television set, punch walls or go into a drunken stooper (see Buffalo game)... I'm still a rabid fan, but no longer let the outcome of the game have an outcome on 'my' actions.
Old 11-27-2007   #184
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
That was intentional, on my behalf. Thank you for playing along and helping me to make a point.

I wanted to show you that you guys KNOW there is a standard of conduct here (an unwritten rule about treating each other fairly), and I think it's funny that the 130-post crowd isn't held to the standard...but I go with a zinger and WHAM! it's "Well, well...look at you! You're not so big yourself."

Thus, someone trying to point out that I broke a rule is in essence admitting that there is a field of play where the conduct needs to be on-the-level.

Scan my posts. They are about 99% structured in every form: Grammar, paragraphs, spelling, a logical flow of thoughts and ideas (whether you agree with it or not). I try to use real instances, quotes from players/coaches, situations on the field and in the media coverage, and my own observations to bring some form of objective and constructive analysis to the discussions. I typically avoid the threads that I know are just baiting everyone into a big flame war. Being around the boards this long has taught me THAT much.

What I am upset about, in this thread, is that we have some posters who are using little Seinfeld/sarcastic one-line zingers...cute remarks and put-downs with no real input to the conversation. It's typical one-upsmanship whereby a person says something and a whole string of people just rattle off little quips to get a giggle and to try and outdo the other guy.

That's all fine and well, IMO, when the topic is lighthearted. But you guys are just bashing away at a fellow fan in a thread where al the guy wanted to do is express what he thinks he is seeing. He offered a LOT of points, and I really don't see most of the posters trying to address those points. I see "Get out of here" or " Go ahead! Jump!," or "Buh-bye," or "See ya'," or "Can I have your stuff." I mean, come one guys...is that the best you can do?

And then there are the posters who have been here for a long time. They are saying "Hey man, I understand. Just make sure you come back," or "Well, I will miss you because I enjoyed hanging out here with you and talking football."

See the difference?

I don't know. Maybe I need to lower my expectation(s) of a few posters on this board. Maybe I have unfairly held a few to the standards that some others are living up to and seem to hold in high regard.

I just really don't see the deserved respect for a longtime fan (not a bandwagonner, as a few of you are charging) and it irks me. You're not showing a sense of history around here, an appreciation for what the long-term guys have brought to the table.

So be it.
Look, i don't personally care how structured your posts are(good for you) and you should not care or take offense when someone sends a one line zinger at someone.(that by the way was not even directed at you) Especially because the guy you are attacking made his point the very next post with substance in it. You are only attacking one guy basically for doing it. Effectively just the new posters.

You are the one that is not really making this a friendly place. PD is doing the exact same thing with his pictures and videos and not a stinking peep from you. PD that stuff is hilarious by the way. Keep it coming. Pretty much what you are saying is that if I dont have as many posts as you then I am not worthy of an opinion.

You need to get real and lower you expectations because this is in fact a place with many opinions and personalities, and you need to learn to get along on here and for a guy with over 1000 posts you ought to know that since post count seems to be so important to you.

If you dont like the one liners then ignore them. We are all able to write something structured but that is not always my agenda when I come on here. It's to talk people, get news, and commiserate with fellow Texans fans. You are making silly arguments.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #185
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
How ironic that you don't even get the phrase right. Perhaps that was the Don Quixote imaginary disease setting in.
Oh Mighty Master Phraser, please have mercy and shed your infinite knowledge upon us less worthy creatures in order that we may be enlightened by the glory of your wisdom. whatever

Quote:
I don't know. Maybe I need to lower my expectation(s) of a few posters on this board. Maybe I have unfairly held a few to the standards that some others are living up to and seem to hold in high regard.
If you have no expectations, you will not be let down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
5. Someone brings up David Carr's gloves.
You are the first to mention The Gloves. Congrats.
Old 11-27-2007   #186
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

*sneaks off to distribute these to 'the 130-post crowd'*

Old 11-27-2007   #187
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I'm not reading 9 pages - someone catch me up.

But first, I'll take a stab at it and someone can tell me if I got the gist.

1. Someone has had it and they're calling it quits.
2. Others pile on, calling the person fairweather and bandwagon.
3. Still others pile on the piler's on - defending the person who has called it quits.
4. The thread spirals into the abyss of 'what is a true fan,' and 'I've been here for x years and you haven't so what I say has more credibility.'
5. Someone brings up David Carr's gloves.
6. Someone else posts something smart ass like this.

Did that about get it?
DING DING DING, you are the winner, tell him what he has won chuck.......All the kids toys made in China you could possibly want!!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2007   #188
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31195 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Zing!

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #189
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
*sneaks off to distribute these to 'the 130-post crowd'*

Thats what I'm talking about PD....
Old 11-27-2007   #190
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
Zing!
La Choy makes Chinese food "Zing" American.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #191
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Look, i don't personally care how structured your posts are(good for you) and you should not care or take offense when someone sends a one line zinger at someone.(that by the way was not even directed at you) Especially because the guy you are attacking made his point the very next post with substance in it. You are only attacking one guy basically for doing it. Effectively just the new posters.

You are the one that is not really making this a friendly place. PD is doing the exact same thing with his pictures and videos and not a stinking peep from you. PD that stuff is hilarious by the way. Keep it coming. Pretty much what you are saying is that if I dont have as many posts as you then I am not worthy of an opinion.

You need to get real and lower you expectations because this is in fact a place with many opinions and personalities, and you need to learn to get along on here and for a guy with over 1000 posts you ought to know that since post count seems to be so important to you.

If you dont like the one liners then ignore them. We are all able to write something structured but that is not always my agenda when I come on here. It's to talk people, get news, and commiserate with fellow Texans fans. You are making silly arguments.
Well, there's not enough time for me type responses to all the posters here who are having a good time with all this. I'm not trying to be the police, but I think a lot of people see through all of it for what it really has been: A bunch of guys getting their kicks off of dogging a fellow fan.

I don't know how much more I can do to get that point across.

When people know they've stepped over the line, they tend to continue down the path of being a jerk about it. Human nature doesn't want ourselves to look within and think we might have overstepped our boundaries.

You say this is a place to mingle with fellow fans...but I see a wolfpack mentality of guys ganging up on someone.

I have stood by a fellow fan. And if I get dogged for doing it, then so be it.
Old 11-27-2007   #192
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

And, "No," post count is not the only thing that matters.

This is being proved by the same ones I am calling out: The ones who build their post count off of cute little sarcastic comments.

My posts are usually medium-to-long in length. I have a lot to share about what I think about this team. I respond to others with my own opinions and ideas. They might not be correct, but they have some basis in constructiveness (if that's a word).

So here's the point where someone comes along and rattles off something corny, or attach a funny photo. Because, after all, we like to stay on topic with our posts, correct?
Old 11-27-2007   #193
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
And, "No," post count is not the only thing that matters.

This is being proved by the same ones I am calling out: The ones who build their post count off of cute little sarcastic comments.

My posts are usually medium-to-long in length. I have a lot to share about what I think about this team. I respond to others with my own opinions and ideas. They might not be correct, but they have some basis in constructiveness (if that's a word).

So here's the point where someone comes along and rattles off something corny, or attach a funny photo. Because, after all, we like to stay on topic with our posts, correct?
Who ARE you calling out. I post plenty of one liners. I also applaud those that do with a sense of humor, without berating anyone else. I am totally against one liners that attack a poster and not the post, but other than that I could care less if your (anyone's) post contains 10 characters or 14,000. Why should anyone care?

I also add to the topic at hand unless, as is the case here, the topic has become so derailed that people can't even remember it was about Herv 'up to here' with the losing. As I said several pages ago, Herv and I have agreed and disagreed over many of topics, however, we discuss them without the name calling or the BS. Once again, attack the post, not the poster.

I am just trying to figure out what your stance is, since, I often go for the humorous posts and sometimes the one liners.
Old 11-27-2007   #194
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Who ARE you calling out. I post plenty of one liners. I also applaud those that do with a sense of humor, without berating anyone else. I am totally against one liners that attack a poster and not the post, but other than that I could care less if your (anyone's) post contains 10 characters or 14,000. Why should anyone care?

I also add to the topic at hand unless, as is the case here, the topic has become so derailed that people can't even remember it was about Herv 'up to here' with the losing. As I said several pages ago, Herv and I have agreed and disagreed over many of topics, however, we discuss them without the name calling or the BS. Once again, attack the post, not the poster.

I am just trying to figure out what your stance is, since, I often go for the humorous posts and sometimes the one liners.
You are, in my estimation, engaging in dialogue with me. You and I have kicked around the ideas over in the Richard Smith thread. There's a two-way line of communication with you and I.

But take a look at those who seem to only post when they have a one-liner to share. THAT'S who I am talking about. This whole thread is full of guys who have posted anywhere from a half-dozen or so one-liners and smack talk remarks. Heck, there's times in this thread where it goes 3 or 4 or 5 replies and they are ALL cute little zingers, aimed at nothing more than trying to poke fun of someone.

Their attention was on Herv, but now it's on me. I don't care. I just feel strongly that some people are only on the boards to frustrate and rag on people. Period. And then, sometimes, they pulla real post out of their hat for good measure.

But I think there's a lot of people who come here PRIMARILY to antagonize.

I engage in dialogue. In fact, it's hard sometimes to really find anything in the threads that really is an actual football conversation where we can discuss stuff.

I teach High School, and I see this same sort of immaturity every day. It doesn't help me to come here and see people who are 35 or 43 and act the same way on a pretty consistent basis instead of enagaging in actual dialogue most of the time.

Add to it that I think some posters are dogging a fellow fan, and I've just been irked to the inth degree today.
Old 11-27-2007   #195
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said it before and I shall say it again: if you are a fan of the Texans after these first six years, you are a fan. There is no bandwagon for crappy teams who have never had a winning record in their history. For some folks to imply that a bandwagon exists is just myopic.
Old 11-27-2007   #196
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

How 'bout them Texans?
Old 11-27-2007   #197
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 17549 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

The ability to limit oneself to insightful contributions is usually considered a benign trait, but this apparent obsession with Post Count leads me to believe I'll be a 'better' TexansTalker if I propagate meaningless babble, enter into pointless argument and post "David Carr sucks. lolllll111!!!" several times a day.

This debate started with a sad confession from a clearly devoted fan which struck a chord with me. That a painful defeat has caused us to descend into such a squabbling morass is really quite sad, and even as a relative n00b with a shockingly low Post Count, it's not been pretty to watch.

Pardon the intrusion.

Oh,

David Carr sucks. lolllll111!!!
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #198
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I've said it before and I shall say it again: if you are a fan of the Texans after these first six years, you are a fan. There is no bandwagon for crappy teams who have never had a winning record in their history. For some folks to imply that a bandwagon exists is just myopic.
Hello I am looking for a new sport ,I need a team that is struggling and no fans .
Not only do I drive the Bandwagon , I am the Bandwagon!
Old 11-27-2007   #199
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uhhh...I think I understand now.

You ASSUME that we know what you mean because evvvvverybody plays MMORPGS (whatever that is)...okey dokey.

When you post something, it might be a good idea to "annotate" as you mentioned. All I saw, and I all I STILL see is a bunch of guys knocking on someone and dragging the corpse around the streets of texanstalk.com.

Granted, Herv has not asked for anyone to feel sorry for him. But the guy is a fellow fan, and for a lot of you to just kick him to the curb...well, it rubs me raw to see you so blindly loyal to a team of spoiled millionaires and yet you can't be understanding and even remotely nice to a MAN who has also followed this same team that you apparently worship more than real people whom you spend time with on this board.

Out.
You are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too angry. Have some Tension Tamer Tea from Celestial Seasonings...it's delish.

I guess I assumed that the "Can I have your stuff" one-liner, that's been around for about a decade now, had crept out of the geek basement and become a bit more of an internet meme, but obviously not so much.

Look, I think things are being taken to the extreme. Either you've:

1. Thrown up your hands in complete disgust and are quitting the Texans all together

or

2. Are blindly loyal to a bunch of spoiled millionaire football players.

I think that's a little too black/white for my tastes. I LOVE the Texans. I will always be a fan, but that doesn't preclude me from the following:

1. Being frustrated in the face of 6 years of losing teams.
2. Taking issue with lax management/incompetence.
3. Having CONSTRUCTIVE criticism for the players, coaches, management, etc.

There is a way to temper one's fanhood with reality. I hate myopic fans, but I also hate bandwagon jumpers. I don't think Herv is either of those. I think he's let the Texans and their woes get to him a little bit more than is healthy, because it's not FUN anymore. He can take a break from the team and try to get a little emotional distance without being labeled a "bad fan."

I think many people vent their frustrations in ways that don't appear to be tempered with reasonableness or constructive criticism. And some folks don't actually READ the reasonableness or constructive criticism. It's hard being a fan of a team that needs so much help and improvement and to point out those things without seeming like you're harping (just as long as you're not riding the "we needed to draft Vince Bush" dead horse...like we really need a RB who can't run or a QB who can't throw).

Sheesh...the internets: serious business.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #200
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You obviously weren't in sports bars directly after the 2-0 start. Boy, there were finally some Texans fans about. There was at least the beginnings of a bandwagon. Peeps were fired up.

Now? Not so much. There weren't enough Texans fans this past week to deaden the loud, annoying Browns fans. BROWNS FANS?! WTF? What dead log did these guys roll out from under?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read