Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2007   #61
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: The Fire Richard Smith (DC) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalderrama View Post
because we don't want to leave our depleted secondary more vulnerable than they already are. Do you people really think the coaches arn't thinking about this stuff?

from Gary's monday presser:

(on not being overly aggressive on defense) “Well, I would say over the course of the last two weeks, we probably have not blitzed that much. Of course, we’ve had some secondary problems, which from a standpoint of how we approached those games of what gave us a chance to win, I think we were doing the right things. I think we were doing the right things yesterday I should say, I think, I know we were. But we can still do a better job with our four guys of rushing the quarterback, you’re right. There comes times you’ve got to get more aggressive and try to make some plays, but like I said I think we had our football team in position. They were doing their job. Sometimes you’ve got to do a little bit more than your job. You’re right, so it’s something we’ll have to take a look at, but they gave us a chance.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3956
gary said nothing other than 'we give up. our secondary sucks and our four guys arent doing enough. were doing our best.'

i dont buy it. they didnt blitz when we had Dunta either. I am sick of the excuses for the bad play by the defense. If those 4 can't get it done, then put another combination of 4 in there.

i understand that the secondary is banged up.....because of this YOU BLITZ SO THE GUYS DONT HAVE TO COVER THEIR MAN FOR 5-8 SECONDS! they are looking at it the wrong way. if your secondary sucks YOU BLITZ. they are just too stupid and conservative to realize this.

the only sacks we have gotten all year have basically been coverage sacks, so that tells me we dont blitz and that the lack of blitzing hurts our secondary.

reading that load of garbage from Gary's presser only makes me question his ability to problem solve even more.

so i guess rushing 4 and letting the browns throw the ball all over the field with no pressure is a good game plan? whatever, Gary and his 2nd rate assistants all suck.
Old 11-27-2007   #62
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
exactly man, I just want to win. and I am sick of our team bringing knives to a gun fight. why dont we blitz? is this another byproduct of the 'good guy' aka 'bunch of losers' mentality? football is a man's sport not a gentleman's sport. if you want a gentleman's sport go watch The Masters of watch some tennis. What ever happened to the House Of Pain attitude. Now it seems like the organization is so paranoid about 'character' and taking players off their draft board that we have a bunch of vanilla premed student losers who arent willing to do waht it takes to win.

you gotta hurt people to win. you gotta take chances to win. you gotta smash people in teh mouth. i just dont see it other than Dunta and CC and the next guy CC can cover will be the first.
Very true about the good character thing. It's gone too far. Other than Sean Jones (and thats considered a white collar crime), I am not really sure who else from the "House of Pain" days are serving time in prison or are a true menace to society. Those guys got after it, hit and intimidated people.

I'm all for punching somebody in the mouth. In fact, we have been too nice for too long so it needs to be more than a punch in the mouth, it needs to be a fist down someone's throat...

My rant for the day.....
Old 11-27-2007   #63
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
gary said nothing other than 'we give up. our secondary sucks and our four guys arent doing enough. were doing our best.'

i dont buy it. they didnt blitz when we had Dunta either. I am sick of the excuses for the bad play by the defense. If those 4 can't get it done, then put another combination of 4 in there.

i understand that the secondary is banged up.....because of this YOU BLITZ SO THE GUYS DONT HAVE TO COVER THEIR MAN FOR 5-8 SECONDS! they are looking at it the wrong way. if your secondary sucks YOU BLITZ. they are just too stupid and conservative to realize this.

the only sacks we have gotten all year have basically been coverage sacks, so that tells me we dont blitz and that the lack of blitzing hurts our secondary.

reading that load of garbage from Gary's presser only makes me question his ability to problem solve even more.

so i guess rushing 4 and letting the browns throw the ball all over the field with no pressure is a good game plan? whatever, Gary and his 2nd rate assistants all suck.
I noticed he used the "we're doing the right things" line again.

This is the same line he used to try and explain the bad play of Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado, remember? "Ron and Samkon are doing the right things..."

I don't think Gary needs to flip out at the podium or anything. He just needs to exhibit the ability to be honest about the team. He's not. Maybe he wants Richard Smith gone as much as I do. Maybe.

It seems "maybe" is the key word for this team.
Old 11-27-2007   #64
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Very true about the good character thing. It's gone too far. Other than Sean Jones (and thats considered a white collar crime), I am not really sure who else from the "House of Pain" days are serving time in prison or are a true menace to society. Those guys got after it, hit and intimidated people.

I'm all for punching somebody in the mouth. In fact, we have been too nice for too long so it needs to be more than a punch in the mouth, it needs to be a fist down someone's throat...

My rant for the day.....
I hetero-love me some TexanBill....yeah Bubba McDowell i think is an ordained minister. That dude used to rock people's worlds. You can be good people and still be mean as hell and a guy you wouldn't want to run into in a dark alley. Reliant is country club atmosphere whereas Astrodome was like Thunderdome "2 men enter; 1 man leave'
Old 11-27-2007   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hetero-love me some TexanBill....yeah Bubba McDowell i think is an ordained minister. That dude used to rock people's worlds. You can be good people and still be mean as hell and a guy you wouldn't want to run into in a dark alley. Reliant is country club atmosphere whereas Astrodome was like Thunderdome "2 men enter; 1 man leave'
Remember Gary Brown and Lorenzo White?

We'd pop a screen pass out to one of those guys, and it was like "BOO-YA!"

I used to get goosebumps from watching us run the screen pass and just DOMINATE and bulldoze defenders.

That's why I get so ticked off when we run the screen pass on the Texans team...and we get about 4 yards off it.

Yeah, there was a Buddy Ryan "Make Them Beg For Mercy" attitude back in those days. (Sigh) That was a fun time, minus Frank Reich.
Old 11-27-2007   #66
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
No thank you on all three of those guys! We don't need a name, we just need someone better- I trust that Kubiak and Smith can study the issue, interview, and find a good fit without going after a name. All three of those guys you mentioned have seriously underachieving defenses right now- which is why the last two will be fired. I know Rivera coaches LBs this year, but certainly the SD LBs are much less productive with him than they were last year under Phillips and company.
Dude...you're crazy not to think ONE of those 3 is a better candidate.

I'm not saying let's go get a name...All 3 of those guys have great track records when it comesto defense. Under Rivera the Bears were consistently a top 3 defense and if i'm remembering right through the fog of my memory Marvin Lewis was part of the architect behind the dominant Ravens defenses. Fox has a good track record as well and he hasn't had some bad defenses in Carolina either.

It's not completely Marvins fault the mess that is Cinci right now. Injuries have really derailed Fox in Carolina...not helping is HWONBN. As for Rivera....he has never been under a 3-4 defense and that was Wade Phillips job who is currently doing a whale of a job with the Dallas D.It hasn't helped that The Norv Turner effect has fallen on that team and they surely will continue to spiral in SD if he continues to be the captain of that ship.

But hey....i mean...what's in a name...or track record?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #67
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Remember Gary Brown and Lorenzo White?

We'd pop a screen pass out to one of those guys, and it was like "BOO-YA!"

I used to get goosebumps from watching us run the screen pass and just DOMINATE and bulldoze defenders.

That's why I get so ticked off when we run the screen pass on the Texans team...and we get about 4 yards off it.

Yeah, there was a Buddy Ryan "Make Them Beg For Mercy" attitude back in those days. (Sigh) That was a fun time, minus Frank Reich.
Very true, which brings me back into my rant.. I forgot that we had an O-line that was just as capable of punching people in the mouth as the "D". In some respects, people lost sight of that as we went to the run and shoot full time. But prior to using it full time, we used 'red-gun' which was our 'part-time' run and shoot, our O-line could dominate the line of scrimmage. Add to that O-line that stable of running backs, which you mention a couple above, and the Oilers were downright nasty..... Until Buddy Ryan went super conservative in the play-offs with his 46 defense.
Old 11-27-2007   #68
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Dude...you're crazy not to think ONE of those 3 is a better candidate.

I'm not saying let's go get a name...All 3 of those guys have great track records when it comesto defense. Under Rivera the Bears were consistently a top 3 defense and if i'm remembering right through the fog of my memory Marvin Lewis was part of the architect behind the dominant Ravens defenses. Fox has a good track record as well and he hasn't had some bad defenses in Carolina either.

It's not completely Marvins fault the mess that is Cinci right now. Injuries have really derailed Fox in Carolina...not helping is HWONBN. As for Rivera....he has never been under a 3-4 defense and that was Wade Phillips job who is currently doing a whale of a job with the Dallas D.It hasn't helped that The Norv Turner effect has fallen on that team and they surely will continue to spiral in SD if he continues to be the captain of that ship.

But hey....i mean...what's in a name...or track record?
Would you also like Brian Billick as the new O.C. After all, he made a name for himself as a great O.C. in Minnesota 10 years ago. We can just ignore the fact that as a head coach is offensed as been consistantly abysmal.

John Fox and Marvin Lewis have been utter failures for the past three years. Explain to me how a defensive genius could have a healthy Julius Peppers, Ruckers, Jenkins, J.Beason, Thomas Davis, Chris Gamble, Richard Marshall.. and be an absolutely horrific defense. How many probowl and/or first round picks does that defense have?

Meanwhile, I would think that a difference-maker of a coach could produce something other than consistently the worst defense in the league, even if the talent is below average. But, Marvin Lewis, consistantly has a horrible defense in Cincinnati.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #69
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you also like Brian Billick as the new O.C. After all, he made a name for himself as a great O.C. in Minnesota 10 years ago. We can just ignore the fact that as a head coach is offensed as been consistantly abysmal.

John Fox and Marvin Lewis have been utter failures for the past three years. Explain to me how a defensive genius could have a healthy Julius Peppers, Ruckers, Jenkins, J.Beason, Thomas Davis, Chris Gamble, Richard Marshall.. and be an absolutely horrific defense. How many probowl and/or first round picks does that defense have?

Meanwhile, I would think that a difference-maker of a coach could produce something other than consistently the worst defense in the league, even if the talent is below average. But, Marvin Lewis, consistantly has a horrible defense in Cincinnati.
It is kind of interesting how coaches who were great offensive or defensive coaches seem to screw up that part when they are head coaches. Just look at Dom Capers for us. Well, he actually screwed up both, but you get my point.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #70
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He's not going to call out his coordiator. If you read the quote, I think he does say they need to be more aggressive. Smith will be replaced after the season. Don't worry.
Old 11-28-2007   #71
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Actually yeah i wouldn't mind giving Billick a shot at OC look at how Martz has revived himself as OC with the Lions.

I don't see how you could label Fox's tenure there too much of failure his teams have made the playoffs, gone to the NFC championship game and oh yeah lost by a field goal in the closing seconds of a superbowl. He knows what it takes to win and it's not like his defenses have been horrific. Injuries have played a part on that defense.

I guess you don't remember Marvin Lewis in Baltimore or when he felt snubbed took the DC position in Washington where a underacheiving Defense RESPONDED to him. I think that's been a problem is players responding to a coach on defense and the coach knowing what they are doing. As for his HEADCOACHING tenure...sometimes you work with what you're given and sometimes you're just as good as your assistant coaches.

If we don't go after one of those guys....I'm all for bringing someone from Philly and the Jim Johnson School of defense.
Old 11-28-2007   #72
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Actually yeah i wouldn't mind giving Billick a shot at OC look at how Martz has revived himself as OC with the Lions.

I don't see how you could label Fox's tenure there too much of failure his teams have made the playoffs, gone to the NFC championship game and oh yeah lost by a field goal in the closing seconds of a superbowl. He knows what it takes to win and it's not like his defenses have been horrific. Injuries have played a part on that defense.

I guess you don't remember Marvin Lewis in Baltimore or when he felt snubbed took the DC position in Washington where a underacheiving Defense RESPONDED to him. I think that's been a problem is players responding to a coach on defense and the coach knowing what they are doing. As for his HEADCOACHING tenure...sometimes you work with what you're given and sometimes you're just as good as your assistant coaches.

If we don't go after one of those guys....I'm all for bringing someone from Philly and the Jim Johnson School of defense.

Martz's offenses at St. Louis were always good. He didn't revive anything. He was a bad head coach but always a good O.C.

Regarding Fox, what injuries have caused this defense this season to be so pathetic? I'll go out on a limb and say Richard Smith would have a pretty good defense with Peppers, Ruckers, Jenkins, Thomas Davis, Beason, CGamble, R.Marshall, C.Harris on the active roster.

Marvin Lewis has been in charge of the Bengals for 5 years, trying to improve the defense and it's only gone from bad to worse.

Just because someone has a reputation for success years ago doesn't make them an answer today. You are dealing off of a very limited list. You don't know the names of guys that could be very good D.C.'s because as a fan, you only hear the names the media throws around.

Nobody was screaming to give a job to Jeff Fisher in the mid 90s. Bill Cowher wasn't a name until after he was hired. I'm just saying that I want the Texans' organization to do thorough research and make a good hire. Furthermore, hiring a big name like those mentioned seems reactionary, unthorough, and like the type of move bad organizations make: See the Washington Redskins and Al Saunders, Steve Spurrier, etc...
Old 11-28-2007   #73
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Quote:
Martz's offenses at St. Louis were always good. He didn't revive anything. He was a bad head coach but always a good O.C.

Regarding Fox, what injuries have caused this defense this season to be so pathetic? I'll go out on a limb and say Richard Smith would have a pretty good defense with Peppers, Ruckers, Jenkins, Thomas Davis, Beason, CGamble, R.Marshall, C.Harris on the active roster.

Marvin Lewis has been in charge of the Bengals for 5 years, trying to improve the defense and it's only gone from bad to worse.

Just because someone has a reputation for success years ago doesn't make them an answer today. You are dealing off of a very limited list. You don't know the names of guys that could be very good D.C.'s because as a fan, you only hear the names the media throws around.

Nobody was screaming to give a job to Jeff Fisher in the mid 90s. Bill Cowher wasn't a name until after he was hired. I'm just saying that I want the Texans' organization to do thorough research and make a good hire. Furthermore, hiring a big name like those mentioned seems reactionary, unthorough, and like the type of move bad organizations make: See the Washington Redskins and Al Saunders, Steve Spurrier, etc...
I point back to the first line of this post. Sometimes great coordinators don't make great HC.

Injuries on the Offense for Carolina have piled up IMO. I don't care how good a D you are if your offense can't stay on the field.....well we should know how that works here.

I'll agree on not being the biggest fan of what Washington does. But what Al Saunders had to work with in KC is vastly different from what he has to work with in DC. Not to mention a young QB who is looking like he'll be a solid NFL QB which i thought Jason Campbell had no shot at.

All that said I think it's paramount that Kubiak shows he's not afraid to let go of assistants or coordinators if it's not working out. Something the last regime couldn't do until it was too late. I don't care if we go with a lesser known name like you suggest or after one of the 3 like I've suggested in the end it's clear it's not working out and we needachange.
Old 11-28-2007   #74
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course there is always the other little thingy. They don't have the tallent on the roster to compete competively, consistantly when they have a couple of their front line players on the shelf ? Naw, that couldn't be it. Look fourth and one...everybody on the edge of their chairs screaming "go for it". They get stuffed. Got 'em down to their fourth team DB....he punks the all pro WR and the new QB...Ah, that's a tallent thingy. Coaches can't play for them. In the end players must execute. And our players, judging by the results of this season, regardless of the stats, do not have the tallent to compete. Their only goal now is to erase the donut in the division "W" column. No one wants to go balls out blitzing any more than Richard Smith does. You may disagree with that. But there is a reason they do not blitz more.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-28-2007 at 02:29 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #75
austintexanite
All Pro

If Lewis gets the axe in Cincy, that would be a great pickup for us. But, I severely doubt that will happen. Maybe if we dished out some serious cash for the DC of the Eagles and Ravens.
Old 11-29-2007   #76
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Just some food for thought:

On both MNF and NFL Matchup, Jaws mentioned that the Steelers and Ravens blitz about 40% of the time. About 10% of those blitzes resulted in a sack.

Don't know how it applies to us, but just thought it was interesting that two of the supposedly best blitzing teams still have a very low "success" rate on blitzes.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #77
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
Just some food for thought:

On both MNF and NFL Matchup, Jaws mentioned that the Steelers and Ravens blitz about 40% of the time. About 10% of those blitzes resulted in a sack.

Don't know how it applies to us, but just thought it was interesting that two of the supposedly best blitzing teams still have a very low "success" rate on blitzes.
Does it mention how it rushes the QB ? wonder how many INT. or tackles in the backfield etc. . . that produces.
Old 11-29-2007   #78
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

That's why I put "success" in quotes. Jaws only mentioned the sacks, not the hurries, etc.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #79
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the DC's known for blitzing are running the 3-4. While we have some personel geared toward that defense, we shouldn't attempt to fill our roster with that type of players. I wouldn't mind looking at the college level DC's. I would be really selective, but most college coaches are looking for a chance to move up to the next level. I wouldn't mind plucking a DC from the SEC or Big 10 maybe. I don't know who coaches who or what the make or their availabilty, so I'll just throw out some stuff.

LSU DC
Penn St DC
Ohio St DC

Just some consistently good college defenses. I think Bo Pelinni or something is at LSU, and I've heard he is on the move to a HC job at the NCAA level, but I'm not that sure.
Old 09-28-2008   #80
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Nothing new...
brakos82 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read