Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2007   #41
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Fire Richard Smith (DC) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
He was complaining about the exact same thing in another thread. And he has never really given another option as a DC that would have been better at the time and has not given a reason as to why Mcnair is a penny pincher except that we supposedly don't pay coaches. I don't know how he would actually know either way how much a coach is getting paid. I don't think it was publicized what any of our coordinators were being paid.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Well, how about Gene Chizik?

Remember him? That's a guy we could use. He's a d-coordinator who is failing as a HC right now in the NCAA. I have always felt that 99% of coaches need to stop pretending to be HCs. If you are a good d-coordinator (Wannstedt, Labeu, etc.) you need to stick with your bread & butter. Gene Chizik would be a pretty good d-coordinator, IMO. A few guys make it out: Gruden, Cowher, Pete Carroll. But most go in to the HC and find out really quick that they need to be a coordinator.

He took Auburn's defense and took it from a joke and made it one of the best NCAA defenses.

He leaves Auburn, goes to Texas, and makes UT's defense one of the best.

Track record. I want a guy who has achieved greatness in the DC role within the past 5 years or so. Not a guy hwo's pretty much irrelevent and hasn't been turning things around anywhere.

Is that good enough? I don't sit at home all day and study who is who. But I know that there are ACHIEVERS out there who would fit the role a lot better than Richard Smith.

BTW, I come up with lots of solutions and ideas. Thanks for attempting to disparage me, though. You guys go ahead and continue shooting from the hip.

Last edited by GP; 11-27-2007 at 01:29 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #42
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree with beer lover. another point to make is that on top of everything else, our defense has been put in some pretty ugly situations on several occasions. they have also had bad games where they just didn't show up to play, on the other hand there have been numerous occasions where our offense has left them with a short field and their backs against the endzone and they have continued over and over to force field goal attempts.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #43
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
No thank you on all three of those guys! We don't need a name, we just need someone better- I trust that Kubiak and Smith can study the issue, interview, and find a good fit without going after a name. All three of those guys you mentioned have seriously underachieving defenses right now- which is why the last two will be fired. I know Rivera coaches LBs this year, but certainly the SD LBs are much less productive with him than they were last year under Phillips and company.
wasn't everyone thinking that Frank Bush our "senior defensive assistant" was supposed to end up being the guy?
Old 11-27-2007   #44
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

You know don't laugh or anything but is there anyway we can get that ol' geezer from the Eagles, Jim Johnson?! Now I know he's old but man I've always liked the D that he's put together up there. Every year they're off the chain, Jimmy come on down "the water is fine..."(I've always wanted to say that)
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
wasn't everyone thinking that Frank Bush our "senior defensive assistant" was supposed to end up being the guy?
Maybe. Maybe not.

Who knows? We don't.

I'm not slamming you, but I am trying to point out that with Gary Kubiak...I don't think we're going to know anything until it happens. Herm Edwards is a guy will get up there and basically let you know what he thinks.

Gary, on the other hand, is very crafty with his words.

I honestly think Richard Smith will be the defensive coordinator as long as Gary Kubiak is the HC here.

Calhoun ran off to be HC at Air Force.

And now Sherman is heading into Aggieland.

Seems the only way OUT is for you to leave on your own.

If Richard Smith is the DC next year, then that'll pretty much tell me all I need to know about the Gary Kubiak era.
Old 11-27-2007   #46
barrett
Hall of Fame

keep in mind when discussing DC changes, we have to look at our personnel. do we have the right players for the right schemes? if we brought in some guy that want's to radically change the schemes does that mean we have to change a bunch of personnel? i'd love to retain some continuity regardless of what coaching changes (may) happen.

i still really think that loosing duanta showed that we can play better in a zone than in man. when he returns i hope that whoever is coaching the defense will stick with that somewhat.
Old 11-27-2007   #47
barrett
Hall of Fame

i don't feel "slammed". personally i agree with you. i think richard smith WILL be our coordinator next year as well. i'm not even sure that's a bad thing. i don't think it's resonable to say that someone will be the coach "for as long as kubiak is here". i'm sure everyone is evaluated at the end of the season.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2007   #48
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, how about Gene Chizik?

Remember him? That's a guy we could use. He's a d-coordinator who is failing as a HC right now in the NCAA. I have always felt that 99% of coaches need to stop pretending to be HCs. If you are a good d-coordinator (Wannstedt, Labeu, etc.) you need to stick with your bread & butter. Gene Chizik would be a pretty good d-coordinator, IMO. A few guys make it out: Gruden, Cowher, Pete Carroll. But most go in to the HC and find out really quick that they need to be a coordinator.

He took Auburn's defense and took it from a joke and made it one of the best NCAA defenses.

He leaves Auburn, goes to Texas, and makes UT's defense one of the best.

Track record. I want a guy who has achieved greatness in the DC role within the past 5 years or so. Not a guy hwo's pretty much irrelevent and hasn't been turning things around anywhere.

Is that good enough? I don't sit at home all day and study who is who. But I know that there are ACHIEVERS out there who would fit the role a lot better than Richard Smith.

BTW, I come up with lots of solutions and ideas. Thanks for attempting to disparage me, though. You guys go ahead and continue shooting from the hip.
Are you saying Gene Chizik now or then, because I was specifically talking about then which is specifically stated in my post. I am not attemting to disparage you, I am trying to get a solution to the problem not just a continued statement of the problem. How do you know that Chizik was available when Smith was hired?
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #49
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Are you saying Gene Chizik now or then, because I was specifically talking about then which is specifically stated in my post. I am not attemting to disparage you, I am trying to get a solution to the problem not just a continued statement of the problem. How do you know that Chizik was available when Smith was hired?
Because he was an official head coaching candidate, early on, when we canned Capers. I began to actually pull for the guy to maybe get the Texans HC spot...but the field narrowed fairly quickly and Gene was excluded.

I then realized that it was for the best: We needed a guy who had been in the NFL. Gene Chizik is a great DC.
Old 11-27-2007   #50
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Because he was an official head coaching candidate, early on, when we canned Capers. I began to actually pull for the guy to maybe get the Texans HC spot...but the field narrowed fairly quickly and Gene was excluded.

I then realized that it was for the best: We needed a guy who had been in the NFL. Gene Chizik is a great DC.
If he had his hat in the head coaching ring do you think he even put his hat or even wanted to put his hat into the DC job here? I am just curious. I personally would not try to get an effetively lesser job with a team that would not give me the HC job. And while he is failing as a Head Coach right now he is making more money as a College HC than he would as the Texans DC.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #51
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Are you actually arguing that we didn't sign Foley, Sharper, and Glenn because McNair was unwilling to fork over the money? That's ridiculous! The GM decided they weren't worth the money. We've overspent all over the place for players like Robaire Smith, Todd Wade, Seth Payne, Gary Walker- all those guys got bigger contracts than would've been required to secure the players you listed.

Also, it's a ridiculous assumption that we drafted Mario over Reggie for monetary reasons. First of all, it was a good decision. Second, the Texans have always been among the first to pay out there high first round picks. Bush even said when it happened that they were in basic agreement on money before they began to seriously consider Mario.

How do you know what the coaching staff makes? I'm sure Kubiak, Sherman, Frank Bush, and John Hoke rank fairly high in coaching salaries for the positions they're coaching.
wrong. whether or not the GM thought they werent worth the money, they were let go for financial reasons. Glenn was worth the money and was already signed, Sharper was dinged but was still a good veteran presence, Foley never even got to see the field because our GM/Coaching Staff were too oblivious to his playmaking abilities and tried to overcoach him. If McNair didn't care about the $$ he would have kept Glenn and Sharper and NOT overpay for the guys brought in to replace them (which you list in your post). Bottom line is that Glenn should have NEVER been released. Period. he was released for $$ reasons. He was not a liability and is still in the league to this day.....oh and we are sitting here looking for CB help

We sent a contract to both Mario and Reggie. Mario's agent jumped at the chance, Bush's called our bluff. McNair called the agent's bluff and signed/drafted Mario. It was PARTLY for financial reasons due to the fact that McNair didn't want a holdout and didn't want to be held hostage by Bush's agent. Whether or not we made the right decision is a LONG way from being proven and frankly I would give Bush the nod at this time. Both are underperforming and inconsistent, but Bush has made more of a difference to his team than Mario has in almost every aspect (wins, losses, increase interest in fans/media, marketability) I don't think either player was worth the $$ and picks but Bush has probably had a better return than Mario and anyone outside of Houston will say the same. It's not as lopsided as once thought but most experts would give the nod to Bush based on Mario's sleepwalking through most games.

As for our coaching staff, the only high profile guys we have gotten were Calhoun, who has departed to the AF Academy, and Sherman, who has gone to the college that doesnt believe in female cheerleaders. The rest of our staff is bottom of the barrel at best. Sherman gets paid well but Richard Smith was there like their 5th choice and its due to the fact that Kubiak couldnt hire a staff until almost February due to Denver's AFC Championship run. Not all his fault but now its time to fix it and get a real staff, not some dimestore staff.

If we dont go the Cowher route, and its obvious we won't, we should do the next best thing. Hire a quality and proven Defensive Coordinator such as Rivera or Fox and then a good OC to replace Sherman and help Kubiak keep the offense progressing (which it has under Gary/Mike's watch)

Coaches don't count against the salary cap, so what is wrong with getting the best staff that money can buy. It's not a guarantee that its gonna work but it sure can't hurt. it's a hell of a lot better idea than throwing loads of jack to 2nd rate Free Agents such as Wade, Greenwood, etc.

You give Gary next year with a new DC and OC to turn things around. If he doesnt, its time to get a new coaching regime.....Cowher would be nice.

Oh and Spec, I only mention LeBeau to Houston if it was with Cowher coming here too. Of course he aint coming to Houston to be a DC under Gary. No doubt. As for Faneca, that would be a good signing and we are going to have to pony up for a renewal for Pitts or Weary anyway, so we choose one to keep and sign Faneca to replace the one who departs.

McNair has yet to make a move that sends the message that Houston is here to win. It seems we are here to just exist. I don't know what is wrong with suggesting taht we upgrade our coaching and our talent on the field. WTF is so wrong with that? Is everyone here satisified with what we have? I didn't think so. You can slam me for having a different opinion on how to fix things, but one thing is without question. THINGS NEED TO BE FIXED.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 11-27-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Sharper was let go, because he dared to question leadership on the team (probably aimed at HWSRN and Capers).. and had nothing to do with being dinged (although he was) or monetary reasons...
Old 11-27-2007   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I thought Sharper was let go, because he dared to question leadership on the team (probably aimed at HWSRN and Capers).. and had nothing to do with being dinged (although he was) or monetary reasons...
Depends on the agenda of the person posting. McClain did say around that time (don't remember if it was before or after) that the Texans had concerns about Sharper's knee. Turns out those concerns, if not imaginary, were correct.

Foley was a non-issue money wise. Fangio/Capers just didn't like the guy and wanted to fill the roster spot with someone they liked better same as with Marlon McCree. May have been bad decision making but it wasn't penny pinching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
As for our coaching staff, the only high profile guys we have gotten were Calhoun, who has departed to the AF Academy, and Sherman, who has gone to the college that doesnt believe in female cheerleaders. The rest of our staff is bottom of the barrel at best. Sherman gets paid well but Richard Smith was there like their 5th choice and its due to the fact that Kubiak couldnt hire a staff until almost February due to Denver's AFC Championship run. Not all his fault but now its time to fix it and get a real staff, not some dimestore staff.
John Hoke is very well regarded and several teams have made runs at him. Smith wasn't their first choice but that wasn't because of money concerns but availability. They wanted Frank Bush and were rejected. Now totally contrary to your point they have both with a corresponding increase in salaries.

Last edited by infantrycak; 11-27-2007 at 02:45 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #54
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
yeah he was basically outing Carr as a bad QB and poor leader and asking why he was being coddled so much. then when they saw that he was making so much $$ and was dinged they were like 'lets get rid of him, he doesnt think Carr is any good. God forbid a player step up and call Carr out for being a crappy QB. David is God and will lead us to the Super Bowl'

Sharper, Glenn, Robaire Smith, and Gary Walker all called out Carr indirectly and every last one of them was shown the door. All were high dollar players though so it was a combination of reasons but $$ was a factor. No doubt.

I was actually worried about Dunta but by the time he called out DC it was obvious to everyone besides Jerek, nflforher, DC's family, and Caddy that Carr was total crap....so he got a pass. Thank God.

man, I just want the team to show more fire and stop making stupid mistakes. There is still little to no accountability on this team even though it has improved....after all Mario is 'exceptional' even though he was practically invisible on the field in Cleveland (unblocked sack notwithstanding)
Old 11-27-2007   #55
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Depends on the agenda of the person posting. McClain did say around that time (don't remember if it was before or after) that the Texans had concerns about Sharper's knee. Turns out those concerns, if not imaginary, were correct.

Foley was a non-issue money wise. Fangio/Capers just didn't like the guy and wanted to fill the roster spot with someone they liked better same as with Marlon McCree. May have been bad decision making but it wasn't penny pinching.
I still don't know why they got rid of McRee. He made plays for us that year and I thought was a great get. I did think that Foley was up for reneg though and it was a contributing factor.

As for Sharper he wasnt giving us enough return on our investment but our defense went from being a strength the 7-9 year to being a handicap once Glenn and Sharper departed for a combo of reasons. I thought he gave us good leadership as did Glenn. Essentially trading Glenn and a 2nd Round pick for PBuchananon is still one of the worst moves in NFL history. PBuc wasn't a bad player but why get rid of Glenn? Glenn could have at least been a nickel and depth.......Back in those days you could count on our defense showing up....now its pretty much a coin toss.
Old 11-27-2007   #56
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

My agenda was that I was completely happy with the Texans picking Sharper in the expansion draft. I knew he played second fiddle to Ray Lewis in Baltimore (and deservedly so), but I also recognized that he was making a lot of plays for that defense too.

And yes, I remember that Sharper blew his knee out in Seattle and in fact, by the time the Texans played their Sunday night game there, Sharper was already done.

I never could figure out the Marlon McCree deal. Seems like on minute the FO made a decent move bringing talent and creating depth to a perennial weak position for us, only to turn around and let him go to San Diego?!?! WTH?? Not saying that McCree was a world beater, but how good would he look in the secondary right now???
Old 11-27-2007   #57
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My agenda was that I was completely happy with the Texans picking Sharper in the expansion draft. I knew he played second fiddle to Ray Lewis in Baltimore (and deservedly so), but I also recognized that he was making a lot of plays for that defense too.

And yes, I remember that Sharper blew his knee out in Seattle and in fact, by the time the Texans played their Sunday night game there, Sharper was already done.

I never could figure out the Marlon McCree deal. Seems like on minute the FO made a decent move bringing talent and creating depth to a perennial weak position for us, only to turn around and let him go to San Diego?!?! WTH?? Not saying that McCree was a world beater, but how good would he look in the secondary right now???

exactly man, I just want to win. and I am sick of our team bringing knives to a gun fight. why dont we blitz? is this another byproduct of the 'good guy' aka 'bunch of losers' mentality? football is a man's sport not a gentleman's sport. if you want a gentleman's sport go watch The Masters of watch some tennis. What ever happened to the House Of Pain attitude. Now it seems like the organization is so paranoid about 'character' and taking players off their draft board that we have a bunch of vanilla premed student losers who arent willing to do waht it takes to win.

you gotta hurt people to win. you gotta take chances to win. you gotta smash people in teh mouth. i just dont see it other than Dunta and CC and the next guy CC can cover will be the first.
Old 11-27-2007   #58
sbalderrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
why dont we blitz?
because we don't want to leave our depleted secondary more vulnerable than they already are. Do you people really think the coaches arn't thinking about this stuff?

from Gary's monday presser:

(on not being overly aggressive on defense) “Well, I would say over the course of the last two weeks, we probably have not blitzed that much. Of course, we’ve had some secondary problems, which from a standpoint of how we approached those games of what gave us a chance to win, I think we were doing the right things. I think we were doing the right things yesterday I should say, I think, I know we were. But we can still do a better job with our four guys of rushing the quarterback, you’re right. There comes times you’ve got to get more aggressive and try to make some plays, but like I said I think we had our football team in position. They were doing their job. Sometimes you’ve got to do a little bit more than your job. You’re right, so it’s something we’ll have to take a look at, but they gave us a chance.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3956
Old 11-27-2007   #59
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
If he had his hat in the head coaching ring do you think he even put his hat or even wanted to put his hat into the DC job here? I am just curious. I personally would not try to get an effetively lesser job with a team that would not give me the HC job. And while he is failing as a Head Coach right now he is making more money as a College HC than he would as the Texans DC.
Well, IMO, and I guess it doesn't count for much or I'd be an NFL exec...

Chizik was not ready for a HC job in the NFL. He did the next best thing and is now a HC in the NCAA. However, he's not exactly ripping up the competition in the NCAA.

And that's where a smart guy cuts his losses and goes back to doing what he does best: calling the defense. I don't see Chizik going back to a coordinator job in the NCAA after being a HC in the NCAA. But I can definitely see the guy making the leap up to the Texans as a DC...with the added bonus of possibly being able to take over as Texans HC if the stars align correctly.

You and I might think that it's a slap in the face: Hey! Why didn't you just hire me in the first place?

But...we're talking about professional men who are always angling or jockeying their careers into the best position available.

If I were Gene Chizik, I'd look at the Texans in this way: (1) I get to coach Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, and DeMeco Ryans; and (2) I might just do well enough to get a HC spot in the NFL.

He's done the DC gig in NCAA. He's done the HC gig in the NCAA. The NFL is the next frontier for the guy, IMO.

All of this to say this: He's only ONE guy (out of many many more) who can do this job as DC. But we have Richard Smith? I had to re-read the message boards when I read that we had hired Richard Smith as DC two years ago. I read his bio, his career accomplishments and such, and I was stunned. This was it? Wow.

I didn't buy it for a second. Add this move in with all the others (David Carr extension, a bad string of washed up linemen on both sides of the ball, letting Aaron Glenn go due to m-o-n-e-y) and the ledger begins to tip to one side of the page: We possibly have a tightwad owner. I mean, it IS possible. Theguy didn't get wealthy by accident...but yet you are not going to win a Super Bowl by paying more attention to the bottom line rather than the stat line in the box scores.

This does not sit well with the fan who wants to believe that things are fine. That things are going as planned. It eats at those who don't want to think it's possible to become as disenfranchised as Herv has. You don't want to be that way. It crushes your spirit.

And I'm not trying to be the guy who crushes anybody's spirit. But I have learned, as a Texans fan, that you better not over-inflate your expectations. Not now. And probably not for a few more years.

It'll take a lot more than I think any of us are even prepared to calculate, IMO, to get us to a situation of being a bonified NFL team who is playing on the same level as the others. On a consistent basis, by the way.

We've had bargain-basement assistants/coordinators. Heck, JOE MARCIANO is the only guy brought back after the Capers era. He's a guy who is operating at a high level, IMO. He won't be a HC, but he gets HIS job done almost all the time. He's a star. And we kept him. But we need about 12 more Joe Marciano's in the other areas.

Maybe Bob Mcnair spent his self-imposed budget of coaching money on Joe Marciano (just kidding, but it's plausible).
Old 11-27-2007   #60
GP 
Go Texans!

You guys are asking about why didn't blitz more.

I haven't seen anybody ask why Mario is back to putting his hand down on the ground during the snap count.

He looked LIGHT YEARS ahead of where's been when we played the Saints. He was motoring into position, collapsing the pocket and forcing Bress to move around and into other linemen.

BUt what happens next week? Back to putting the hand down. I might have missed some plays vs. Browns...but I'm fairly sure that he was not standing up on the vast majority of plays like he had vs. Saints.

This team, overall, has success doing something and then they get cute and try to do other stuff. "Let's EXPAND!" NO!!!!! Let's just keep doing what we do best...we tend to WIN when we are content with being one-dimentional.

Sometimes I think, and I have stated this before, that Gary and the crew get excited over a win and they begin trying to implement other things. This is basically a team that still has Capers residue all over it, in terms of a losing mentality--a "we beat ourselves" mentality.

Can we just do one thing and do it well for awhile? Man, it's very easy to see where Herv is coming from. This team is an enigma. A mystery.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read