Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2007   #21
austintexanite
All Pro

Default Re: Schaub underthrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Oh and if you call 77 yards TOTAL rushing a good running game, then how can you call Schaub's game bad?
Yah, pretty much all those yards where Dayne's. We got too pass happy and didn't stick with the run. Ron had a good game, but we didn't capitalize on that all day. Ron is not an all pro but he did play well today and Schaub didn't play well. I like Matt and still think he's our QB no matter what, it was just one of those days.
Old 11-25-2007   #22
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

As usual this year, we were out coached!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #23
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Every qb underthrows balls in a game. Nobody can throw a perfect game and sometimes plays are designed to be underthrown based on the coverage.

The difference between when someone like Schaub underthrows the ball and when a guy like Brady does is that Brady's got guys that will bail him out like Randy Moss. I love AJ but one of his weaknesses is the fact that he doesn't fight for the ball like an elite WR should.

EX: The play where he let the ball come into his body and Mcdonald knocked it out of his hands. That was "underthrown" but if it were Moss he would've gotten up and got it instead of waiting for it to come to him.

That being said, Schaub got worse as the game wore on and needs to play a complete game for us to be a winner.
Exactly what I said in this thread. The announcers noticed it and I was talking about it in the game thread. You can't wait for a ball to get to your body..you have to go get the ball.
Old 11-25-2007   #24
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've noticed Schaub's inaccuracy since the preseason. It's rare you see a reciever catch one of his passes in stride. Some of it may be attributed to lack of arm strength. What I like about Schaub is that he makes up for his arm with his decision making. I think it's too early to write the book on him either way though.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #25
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think you're overreacting man. Think about it. Schaub's first INT was a fluke. It wasn't a bad throw. Then we still keep momentum, start driving down the field, and Owen fumbles the freakin ball! After that, momentum was gone. Schaub made 1 really bad throw today by under throwing AJ. But Chad Pennington? Schaub is fine. And everyone questioning his arm, well he's not great but I believe we lead the league in passes of 40+. Schaub is fine.
Good analysis.
The first pick was a pure fluke. The second one was a bad throw.
Schaub didn't lose the game today. He sure didn't win it for us, but he didn't lose it either. And he's clearly better, much better than Carr was.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #26
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
I've noticed Schaub's inaccuracy since the preseason. It's rare you see a reciever catch one of his passes in stride. Some of it may be attributed to lack of arm strength. What I like about Schaub is that he makes up for his arm with his decision making. I think it's too early to write the book on him either way though.
Good points. Rep.
Old 11-25-2007   #27
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Good analysis.
The first pick was a pure fluke. The second one was a bad throw.
Schaub didn't lose the game today. He sure didn't win it for us, but he didn't lose it either. And he's clearly better, much better than Carr was.
He's an improvement over Carr, that's for sure. In reality, this is his rookie year. I'm willing to cut him some slack.

The Texans just don't have a kick their ass attitude yet. As soon as they get one of those things there are a lot of teams that will fall before us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2007   #28
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
Really can't argue with that, it appeared that he was floating the ball today instead of throwing some lasers.
His under-throws have cost us points and yds all season. Most of the time the WRs can make a play on the ball but sometimes his balls just don't have the zip one would like to see.

Somebody get that boy into the weight room.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #29
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm wondering why the staff hasn't picked up on it and done something to correct it (scheme, whatever) - or if that's even possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
Really can't argue with that, it appeared that he was floating the ball today instead of throwing some lasers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
seems to feel pressure when none is there and throws to recievers who are behind the first down marker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
but it appears that it hasn't been addressed at all by the coaching staff, in terms of scheme.
Quote:
Our line had a horrible day,
Quote:
did well statistically, going for 256 yds and 2 tds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
We need a good running back, and some more help on the offensive line, but we all knew that before the season began.
This sounds so familiar for some reason...

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Old 11-25-2007   #30
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yeah, you guys are overreacting. Schaub had a bad game, but that's no reason to go off the deep end. Schaub will take us where we need to go. We need a good running back, and some more help on the offensive line, but we all knew that before the season began.

To repeat, Schaub didn't have a good game today. But I've seen enough from him so far, season-wise, to tell me that QB is not something that needs addressing in the offseason.

I mean, look at the bright side. We could have been stuck with that schlep that plays QB with the Titans.
I agree. Some of you are really over-reacting. Slow down and think clearly. This is Schaub's, what? 9th or 10th start ...Ever. He's throwing to Andre Johnson, a whodat (Walter), a cast-off (Davis), a rookie (JJ), and a TE who can catch but can't keep the ball after he's hit. Remember, this is their first season together. Yet you guys want Tom Brady/Peyton Manning performances. Not yet. We don't have Lawrence Maroney/Joseph Addai at RB. We don't have a Pats/Colts O-line or their defenses who can regularly stop the other guys from scoring.

I know its irritating to be so close and not get there. And its really-freakin' irritating to know that if we had won we'd be tied, at 6-5, with Tennessee.

TexanMike tried to tell us several games ago, that this would not be a playoff season. Growing pains, too many positions (AND coaching spots) that need upgrades, too many injuries.

But this is still better than being 3-8 like we were last year after 11 games. And as one who predicted this to be an 7-9 or 8-8 year, I'm disappointed - both this and the Atlanta games could/should have been wins - but not too surprised.

Next year should be the one where we seriously threaten.

Old 11-25-2007   #31
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
This sounds so familiar for some reason...

The more things change the more they stay the same.
If this is any way a reference to Carr don't even go there. The two are night and day and I think people are a little quick to jump on the guy. If you watched the game and thought it looked familiar then you aren't watching the same guys. ear Lord, the guy has looked sharp for the most part when he has had the full compliment. He didn't even look terrible today and people are nitpicking like we are supposed to be the Patriots.
Old 11-25-2007   #32
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

jesus we have a bad game and suddenly its time to blow everything up... young guys have bad games, unfortunately alot of ours had bad ones today

seriously-just got online and thought i was back on the official board again

and the guys comparing schaub to carr are obviously clueless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
seems to feel pressure when none is there
go take a look at his td pass to dressen last week and wonder why that is.. ok? thanks (again lol at the carr comparisons)

and OD has had a rough season.. i think i even mentioned it during the chargers game but he'll get past it hopefully.. he was fine last yr
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #33
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

it's called after a loss
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #34
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
If this is any way a reference to Carr don't even go there. The two are night and day and I think people are a little quick to jump on the guy. If you watched the game and thought it looked familiar then you aren't watching the same guys.
I said the posts sound familiar. Same complaints we've seen for years. I didn't compare the two QBs at all.

Quote:
If you watched the game and thought it looked familiar then you aren't watching the same guys.
If you don't think the posts look familar, you aren't reading the same ones.

===============================================

I'm not surprised anyway. I'm on record that the line wouldn't be fixed by changing QBs, and it isn't. A lot of Schaub's bad throws are because he's pressured, can't step into the throw, etc. He's getting nervous back there. Again, no surprise.

Oh, and the above isn't a reference to Carr either. It is a reference to the bad o-line.

Carr was bad; the o-line was bad. They fixed one.
Old 11-25-2007   #35
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said the posts sound familiar. Same complaints we've seen for years. I didn't compare the two QBs at all.

I'm not surprised anyway. I'm on record that the line wouldn't be fixed by changing QBs, and it isn't. A lot of Schaub's bad throws are because he's pressured, can't step into the throw, etc. He's getting nervous back there. Again, no surprise.

Oh, and the above isn't a reference to Carr either. It is a reference to the bad o-line.

true runner.. I looked at stats and we have given up 13 sacks (might be 15 if it wasn't updated as of a few minutes ago)... we fixed the QB (like you said) and yes, we need to fix the OL before we ruin this QB
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #36
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

agreed on the o-line.. we better fix it this year this offseason before it affects schaub long term.. we need a big FA aswell to fix the other stuff like rb and secondary
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #37
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think its crazy when I hear people say anything but OL should be our top priority in the offseason.
Old 11-25-2007   #38
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I think its crazy when I hear people say anything but OL should be our top priority in the offseason.
Unless they say it should be CB/FS.
Old 11-25-2007   #39
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:

Just wanted a clarification. Thanks! I know the complaints sound the same but I still don't think they are justified overall. Our sacks are way down this year and I think Schaub still looked pretty good today. People are talking about all of these underthrown balls but as I have said in this thread and in the game thread the announcers were even saying that many of his balls could have been caught if the receiver didn't keep drifting an dletting it get to their body. They need to go up and get it before the DB gets there. Schaub was sharp last week and this week had one real bad throw. The one int was interference and a tip that wasn't his fault. Do I think our O-line needs to improve next year and we need to upgrade..hell yes,...but the jumping on and off the Schaub bandwagon by people after a game like today is ridiculous. The O-line complaints...I can take and know that it is an area of concern, along with DB and safety.
Old 11-25-2007   #40
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just wanted a clarification. Thanks! I know the complaints sound the same but I still don't think they are justified overall. Our sacks are way down this year and I think Schaub still looked pretty good today. People are talking about all of these underthrown balls but as I have said in this thread and in the game thread the announcers were even saying that many of his balls could have been caught if the receiver didn't keep drifting an dletting it get to their body. They need to go up and get it before the DB gets there. Schaub was sharp last week and this week had one real bad throw. The one int was interference and a tip that wasn't his fault. Do I think our O-line needs to improve next year and we need to upgrade..hell yes,...but the jumping on and off the Schaub bandwagon by people after a game like today is ridiculous. The O-line complaints...I can take and know that it is an area of concern, along with DB and safety.

Why is it okay to complain about the oline and DB's but, not Schaub? What makes him untouchable?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read