Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2007   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Schaub underthrows

I've been talking about it all season long, and the problem is still there. Schaub consistently underthrows his WRs. Yeah, yeah ... I know he plays well for the most part. I'm not going into a wholesale rant against Schaub. I like the guy, and I wanted the guy when no one thought it was possible. That doesn't stop me from recognizing his underthrows. I'm wondering why the staff hasn't picked up on it and done something to correct it (scheme, whatever) - or if that's even possible.

It's getting old. The two underthrown balls to AJ took us out of this game as much or moreso than OD's fumble.
Old 11-25-2007   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Schaub underthrows

that has been his fault today, hope kubes and co. will work on that before the titans next week. An ugly game for the texans today
Old 11-25-2007   #3
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I've been talking about it all season long, and the problem is still there. Schaub consistently underthrows his WRs. Yeah, yeah ... I know he plays well for the most part. I'm not going into a wholesale rant against Schaub. I like the guy, and I wanted the guy when no one thought it was possible. That doesn't stop me from recognizing his underthrows. I'm wondering why the staff hasn't picked up on it and done something to correct it (scheme, whatever) - or if that's even possible.

It's getting old. The two underthrown balls to AJ took us out of this game as much or moreso than OD's fumble.
You're right. I won't disagree. It may be why Schaub is never an elite quarterback but an elite quarterback in our system. We have know running game. It's forcing us to go to the air. The fact is when Schaub has to bomb it, he always has to lob it. With the lob, he is having a lot less accuracy.
Old 11-25-2007   #4
austintexanite
All Pro

Really can't argue with that, it appeared that he was floating the ball today instead of throwing some lasers.
Old 11-25-2007   #5
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
You're right. I won't disagree. It may be why Schaub is never an elite quarterback but an elite quarterback in our system. We have know running game. It's forcing us to go to the air. The fact is when Schaub has to bomb it, he always has to lob it. With the lob, he is having a lot less accuracy.
I think our running game was pretty good today, Schaub just played like A** today.
Old 11-25-2007   #6
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

When we dumped David for Matt, all we did was trade arm strength for pass accuracy. Matt seems to feel pressure when none is there and throws to recievers who are behind the first down marker. Sound familiar? Yes, Matt is better than Dave, and in anger I am probably over-reacting. None-the-less, Matt Slob is not the future of this franchise. Hell, isn't Anderson a free agent next season? At this rate, I would settle for Chad Pennington.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
When we dumped David for Matt, all we did was trade arm strength for pass accuracy. Matt seems to feel pressure when none is there and throws to recievers who are behind the first down marker. Sound familiar? Yes, Matt is better than Dave, and in anger I am probably over-reacting. None-the-less, Matt Slob is not the future of this franchise. Hell, isn't Anderson a free agent next season? At this rate, I would settle for Chad Pennington.
You're definitely overreacting. Schaub has what it takes in most of the important areas. Arm strength is definitely an issue. However, I have seen other noodle-armed QBs have very good seasons. I think the arm strength issue can be overcome, but it appears that it hasn't been addressed at all by the coaching staff, in terms of scheme. I'm sure Matt needs to work on it in the offseason as well, but he's never going to have a gun.
Old 11-25-2007   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub had a David Carr day. He just let the 32nd ranked D make him look like a fool.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #9
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub will be an average nfl quarterback at best. Have never seen what everybody was talking about. Sage has done about the same, except for his comeback. Matt is a slight upgrade over Carr.

And I still don't see why we took Ahman Green other than what Sherman wants, Sherman gets.

Last edited by nut; 11-25-2007 at 03:14 PM.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #10
Ckw

Quote:
I think you're overreacting man. Think about it. Schaub's first INT was a fluke. It wasn't a bad throw. Then we still keep momentum, start driving down the field, and Owen fumbles the freakin ball! After that, momentum was gone. Schaub made 1 really bad throw today by under throwing AJ. But Chad Pennington? Schaub is fine. And everyone questioning his arm, well he's not great but I believe we lead the league in passes of 40+. Schaub is fine.
Old 11-25-2007   #11
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
You're definitely overreacting. Schaub has what it takes in most of the important areas. Arm strength is definitely an issue. However, I have seen other noodle-armed QBs have very good seasons. I think the arm strength issue can be overcome, but it appears that it hasn't been addressed at all by the coaching staff, in terms of scheme. I'm sure Matt needs to work on it in the offseason as well, but he's never going to have a gun.
What are the important areas? Because, if Schaub is doing something right, I don't know what it is. Have you noticed that the only time he shows up is when Andre shows up? When Andre is not in the line up, Schaub looks pathetic and throws horrid passes. When Andre has a bad game, Schaub has a bad game. We have a very talented WR corps, and I think they make Schaub look much better than he really is. Which is sad, because he doesn't look that great. He crumbles under pressure, throws it behind the first down marker, can't put any zip on the ball, and can't complete any passes unless the reciever makes a miraculous move to catch the ball, he is no precision passer. Yeah, he might develop eventually...but to be frank, I am sick and tired of eventually. Eventually we all grow old and die. Eventually, the franchise packs it up and moves to Tennesee. I am not willing to waste 5 years on a QB who can't get it done. We did that with Carr, I hope that the front office has learned better since then.

Old 11-25-2007   #12
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What are the important areas? Because, if Schaub is doing something right, I don't know what it is. Have you noticed that the only time he shows up is when Andre shows up? When Andre is not in the line up, Schaub looks pathetic and throws horrid passes. When Andre has a bad game, Schaub has a bad game. We have a very talented WR corps, and I think they make Schaub look much better than he really is. Which is sad, because he doesn't look that great. He crumbles under pressure, throws it behind the first down marker, can't put any zip on the ball, and can't complete any passes unless the reciever makes a miraculous move to catch the ball, he is no precision passer. Yeah, he might develop eventually...but to be frank, I am sick and tired of eventually. Eventually we all grow old and die. Eventually, the franchise packs it up and moves to Tennesee. I am not willing to waste 5 years on a QB who can't get it done. We did that with Carr, I hope that the front office has learned better since then.
Dude, after watching the abortion of QB play that Carr did for 5 years here, Schaub looks like Favre and Joe Montana had a love child blessed by Jesus Christ himself. I think you're over-reacting and I understand. But Schaub has at least looked good at some times this season. He had a bad game, it happens.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #13
adam
Guero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
Dude, after watching the abortion of QB play that Carr did for 5 years here, Schaub looks like Favre and Joe Montana had a love child blessed by Jesus Christ himself. I think you're over-reacting and I understand. But Schaub has at least looked good at some times this season. He had a bad game, it happens.
I am pretty pissed, and no...Schaub is not as bad as Carr. I'll give him that. However, I have noticed that, without Andre Johnson playing a hell of a game, Schaub just doesn't produce. He makes a lot of stupid passes and doesn't have the arm strength to avoid getting picked off on the short routes. He is mediocre, which is not good enough for me. Dave was horrible, really horrible. However, that doesn't make Matt's mediocrity feel much better. We need a QB we can count on, and Schaub can not be counted on in pressure situations.

Old 11-25-2007   #14
Ckw

Man I really think you guys are losing it. Our line had a horrible day, offensively and defensively. Schaub did well statistically, going for 256 yds and 2 tds. Yeah, he gutted us with his late INT but he should overcome that. It was a bad throw. That was Tony Romo all of last year. So chill out guys. It wasn't a good game for Schaub. It also wasn't a Carr game either.
Old 11-25-2007   #15
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I think our running game was pretty good today, Schaub just played like A** today.
Oh and if you call 77 yards TOTAL rushing a good running game, then how can you call Schaub's game bad?
Old 11-25-2007   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, you guys are overreacting. Schaub had a bad game, but that's no reason to go off the deep end. Schaub will take us where we need to go. We need a good running back, and some more help on the offensive line, but we all knew that before the season began.

To repeat, Schaub didn't have a good game today. But I've seen enough from him so far, season-wise, to tell me that QB is not something that needs addressing in the offseason.

I mean, look at the bright side. We could have been stuck with that schlep that plays QB with the Titans.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry there are plenty of passes that aren't "underthrow" but that Schaub puts in position for his receivers. I wrote it in the game thread and the announcers said it multiple times..sometimes your receivers have to go up and get balls and or come back to balls. Today Andre and Jacoby and others waited on passes to get to them. That isn't on the QB. Schaub made some mistakes but did what he could today. People are fairweathered. Schaub is above mediocre and has shown an arm and ability to get the ball in spaces. We had drops and a bunch of plays where the receivers were of no help. People who praise him one week and then start this b.s. just have no clue.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 11-25-2007 at 03:54 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I would argue that Andre Johnson did not show up to play today.

Maybe the cooler weather made his knee tighten up, restricting his explosiveness or something. But the guy was going half-speed all day today, IMO, except for the play he made at the end of the game.

AJ can't let short, no-name DBs manhandle him like #22 did today. This was not the AJ who was all over the field last week.

And Owen Daniels needed to receive a huge reear-chewing, IMO, when he came to the sideline after fumbling. This is beginning to feel like a paper cut just under my fingernail: Just when it heals, I accidentally open it up again and it hurts...and we have to start the mending process all over again.

This also marks another game where we let a team's best player beat us down all game long (MJD, Gates, Winslow). Why can we not see that the QB is doing 3-step drops and zinging it to Winslow every other play?

Seems Cleveland figured out what the Saints didn't: The underneath pass is there ALL DAY. The Saints foolishly kept running the ball, and the Browns decided they would spread us out and pick up 5 yards a pop by just throwing little slants and curls all game long. Then, bust Lewis off on a few well-executed run plays...it was classic Richard Smith defense: Bend, bend, bend, bend, bend, bend...
Old 11-25-2007   #19
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yeah, you guys are overreacting. Schaub had a bad game, but that's no reason to go off the deep end. Schaub will take us where we need to go. We need a good running back, and some more help on the offensive line, but we all knew that before the season began.

To repeat, Schaub didn't have a good game today. But I've seen enough from him so far, season-wise, to tell me that QB is not something that needs addressing in the offseason.

I mean, look at the bright side. We could have been stuck with that schlep that plays QB with the Titans.
You are keeping the VY/RB debate alive. The FO would flip-flop that pick if they could.

Last edited by nut; 11-25-2007 at 07:46 PM.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Every qb underthrows balls in a game. Nobody can throw a perfect game and sometimes plays are designed to be underthrown based on the coverage.

The difference between when someone like Schaub underthrows the ball and when a guy like Brady does is that Brady's got guys that will bail him out like Randy Moss. I love AJ but one of his weaknesses is the fact that he doesn't fight for the ball like an elite WR should.

EX: The play where he let the ball come into his body and Mcdonald knocked it out of his hands. That was "underthrown" but if it were Moss he would've gotten up and got it instead of waiting for it to come to him.

That being said, Schaub got worse as the game wore on and needs to play a complete game for us to be a winner.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read