Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2007   #1
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Mike Sherman to Texas A&M?

I was just watching the pregame show, and they said that Mike Sherman may be taking up the job with Texas A&M. What would this mean for us at the Offensive Coordinator position?

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #2
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: Mike Sherman to Texas A&M?

http://www.statesman.com/sports/cont...125aggies.html

Here is the news article.

Old 11-25-2007   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I hope this is true. I'm not a big Sherman fan.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #4
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

They were just talking about that on 610 . The fat man says if he takes the job , his thinking is that Kyle Shanahan will take over as offensive coordinator , then go to Denver in a couple of years as OC , and eventually take over his dad's position as head coach . Take that for what its worth , which is not much to me .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think either Sherman or Kubes have to go for our offense to reach their potential. I dont think that their styles mesh very well together but by themselves they are both proven styles of offense. Especially in the running game, you either play zone blocking or you dont. You cant do both.
Old 11-25-2007   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65390 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

While losing Sherman wouldn't concern me as much as losing Kubiak, I do think that it'll be enough of a change to notice, and that it might effect the play in the begininng of the season next season.
Old 11-25-2007   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I think either Sherman or Kubes have to go for our offense to reach their potential. I dont think that their styles mesh very well together but by themselves they are both proven styles of offense. Especially in the running game, you either play zone blocking or you dont. You cant do both.
Couldn't agree more. These hybrid systems end up being too much of a compromise of each approach to be effective & consistant IMO.
But I dunno why the Aggies are that interested in Sherman ? I love the Texans, but quite frankly doesn't that last line on his resume that reads "Houston Texans OC" tend to dampen any enthusiasm Aggie fans & alumni might otherwise have for him ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2007   #8
adam
Guero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Couldn't agree more. These hybrid systems end up being too much of a compromise of each approach to be effective & consistant IMO.
But I dunno why the Aggies are that interested in Sherman ? I love the Texans, but quite frankly doesn't that last line on his resume that reads "Houston Texans OC" tend to dampen any enthusiasm Aggie fans & alumni might otherwise have for him ?
I don't see why it would, seeing as how our offense has actually been fairly decent this season, considering all of the injuries and what not. Now, if this was Richard Smith trying to get a job, the last line on his resume would be very troubling.

Old 11-25-2007   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 207976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I don't see why it would, seeing as how our offense has actually been fairly decent this season, considering all of the injuries and what not. Now, if this was Richard Smith trying to get a job, the last line on his resume would be very troubling.

Considering all the changes and injuries, I tend to agree. The offense has been doing fairly well. It's the defense that bothers me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #10
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather have Tuberville....
Old 11-25-2007   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I would rather have Tuberville....
I would want a proven college coach .

You never know what Mike Sherman is like in a top prospects living room .
Old 11-25-2007   #12
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind seeing Sherman go to A&M. He has some history there, and would be a good fit IMO. I would like too see Kubiak and Sherman cut their cord so we could see Kubiak's offense instead of the Denver - Green Bay offense. Sherman may be the Ags "Pete Carol", and unlike PC in the NFL, Sherman was a pretty good Head Coach at GB.
Old 11-25-2007   #13
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Sherman go to A&M. He has some history there, and would be a good fit IMO. I would like too see Kubiak and Sherman cut their cord so we could see Kubiak's offense instead of the Denver - Green Bay offense. .
I agree. I think it is time for Sherman to go and let Kubiak be on his own. The offensive "mesh" isn't working well, Kubiak has had time to learn from Sherman whatever there was to learn and the time has come for Sherman to move on.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that would be a bad hire for A&M. They need a splash. That move is too safe and the guy hasn't proevn he can connect recruiting wise. I think they will be right back where they started and it would be ho-hum.
Old 11-25-2007   #15
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

ggg

Last edited by nut; 11-25-2007 at 07:39 PM.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #16
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great news for Sherman and the Texans offense. The smart thing to do is to quit trying to run the hybrid nonsense and focus the offense on one system. That should start tommorrow, thankfully.
Old 11-26-2007   #17
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I think that would be a bad hire for A&M. They need a splash. That move is too safe and the guy hasn't proevn he can connect recruiting wise. I think they will be right back where they started and it would be ho-hum.
My fear exactly. Sherman has the old school alums convinced that he respects them and the traditions, a group that Fran never seemed to embrace.

And remember the assistant coaches do most of the heavy recruiting, and as such Sherman was involved heavily at A&M on two different occasions, and his recruits made it to the NFL, unlike most of the current coaching staffs guys. Plus he is very close to RC Slocum and that has helped him during this last year.

If he can assemble a pro filled coaching staff, and update the offense and install fear again with the defense he will be set for life with the Aggie faithful.

If not, an all to familiar song for my Aggies.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #18
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sherman's departure would most likely solve the identity crisis that our offense is in. Whether that's a good thing will remain to be seen. Sherman sure as hell hasn't helped Kubiak with clock management or challenge stinginess, so I'm not sure it'd be a big loss. I'm actually anxious to see what our offense would be like if we were to convert entirely to the ZBS.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read