Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2007   #21
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: My Email to ESPN

great letter to ESPN. i am trying to phase them out of my life but its gonna be hard....been watching SC since the dawn of time....or at least cable.

as for their lack of even showing highlights from the HOuston-New Orleans game, that was just punk arse and pathetic and was pretty much my last straw as well. Give me Eisen and Deion on NFLN any day of the week. Even Mariucci is pretty good and they arent afraid to wack Bush across his arrogant smug 'I don't want to lose in Houston if they draft me' face.
Old 11-23-2007   #22
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take the NFLN anyday for football highlights but I was a little irked at them too. When they showed the highlights of the game, they didn't include Mario's sack. That's basically the only stat that he has to compare to against Bush and he didn't even get that.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are expecting sports journalism from a hype machine. Sorry, but they've become hype-mongers. I mean, what the hell is an "ultimate highlight"?? They aren't interested in accuracy, they only want to generate revenue. Remember that "Who's Now" tournament thing they did a couple of months ago? WTF was THAT about?! Like ThreeToedPete said...

Quote:
They ain't jounalists. They are entertainers. And as entertainers they feel no responsiblity to set the record straight.
They're no different than radio shock jocks who say outrageous things to get you to call in and comment. Only ESPN uses hype and selected highlights to get you to tune in and watch - and don't forget all the Reggie Bush commercials.

And since the biggest TV mkt is on the east coast, that's who gets all the play. Dallas and Green Bay are the exceptions. Romo is a good story and I, personally, think they're lying in wait for T.O. to revert to the DramaQueen we've come to know. And everytime they say Favre should retire, he just keeps proving them wrong. I think they're waiting for the Packers to implode so they can say "see, we told you he was too old".

The only ESPN guy who gave the Texans any props this off-season was Michael Smith.
...anyone seen Michael Smith lately?

While we're on the subject of journalistic retractions, wasn't it Jaws who said early on that David Carr would challenge Jake Delhomme for the #1 job in Carolina and that the Texans paid too much for an unproven BACKUP with only two starts?? Where are the "well we blew that call" declarations from ESPN??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #24
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Espn is Hollyweird, I cannot stand all the shows and such. Just like MTV does not do music videos, Espn does not do sports like they should.
Old 11-23-2007   #25
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The best part of ESPN.com is Le Ann Schreiver.

She is the ESPN Ombudsman. This is how she is described:

Quote:
Ombudsman Le Anne Schreiber is the public's representative to ESPN, offering independent examination and analysis of ESPN's media outlets. The former New York Times sports editor and author will critique decision-making, coverage and presentation of news, issues and events on ESPN television and other media. Schreiber will have a two-year tenure and succeeds George Solomon, ESPN's initial Ombudsman.
In other words, she tries to keep them honest. Read her archives. There is also a button where you can send her your comments about ESPN coverage.

If you think ESPN is not telling it the way it is, well then, tell her your point of view, with logic and facts and politely, and maybe she will make it a subject of a future column.

ESPN did a Mario Williams cover story in ESPN the Magazine last year. Unfortunately, the article spent more time discussing busts of previous drafts than Williams' college career. See my writeup of it at the time:

Mario Williams: Media hackery and myths

So no wonder they don't want to hype that they jumped the gun a bit on their bust article.

Interestingly, I know that Wickersham read what I wrote and I sometimes think that he is fairer to the Texans than some because he doesn't want some crazy Texans chick tearing him a new one.

Ultimately, the Texans win, the coverage will shift. Until then, crickets. Just the way it is.
Old 11-24-2007   #26
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great info. I think I'll forward it on to her. By the way.....crickets?

Ok, I just sent it and here is the canned response......

Thank you for your submission.

Due to the volume of correspondence, the Ombudsman will not be able to respond to individual messages, but all comments will be considered for future columns.

We'll see......

Last edited by prostock101; 11-24-2007 at 08:12 AM.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #27
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I didn't have a problem with "all-purpose yards" until last year, when ESPN decided that return yards should be added to the definition. No. You can't add the 15-20 yards that a KR gets spotted on a kickoff. No.

Fortunately, Reggie is no longer used as a returner (which is REALLY hurting ESPN's ability to feature him), but this ridiculous phenomenon has continued with Adrian Peterson, who frankly doesn't need the false stat padding.
Old 11-24-2007   #28
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: My Email to ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

ESPN did a Mario Williams cover story in ESPN the Magazine last year. Unfortunately, the article spent more time discussing busts of previous drafts than Williams' college career. See my writeup of it at the time:
There was an article inside? Huh, it's just an awesome sovenier that I got signed by everyone on the cover (tracking down Mario took a year and a half!).

I think everyone has sold me on watching NFL network the day after NFL games.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #29
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I didn't have a problem with "all-purpose yards" until last year, when ESPN decided that return yards should be added to the definition. No. You can't add the 15-20 yards that a KR gets spotted on a kickoff. No.

Fortunately, Reggie is no longer used as a returner (which is REALLY hurting ESPN's ability to feature him), but this ridiculous phenomenon has continued with Adrian Peterson, who frankly doesn't need the false stat padding.
I personally have no problem with using "all purpose yards" as a stat. This league is eaten up with stats. My problem is that ESPN gives that stat to Bush only in order to make him look better. No other RB in the league gets that luxury. What's so funny about it is that it is so obvious.
Old 11-24-2007   #30
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The best part of ESPN.com is Le Ann Schreiver.

She is the ESPN Ombudsman. This is how she is described:

In other words, she tries to keep them honest. Read her archives. There is also a button where you can send her your comments about ESPN coverage.

If you think ESPN is not telling it the way it is, well then, tell her your point of view, with logic and facts and politely, and maybe she will make it a subject of a future column.

Mario Williams: Media hackery and myths

So no wonder they don't want to hype that they jumped the gun a bit on their bust article.

Interestingly, I know that Wickersham read what I wrote and I sometimes think that he is fairer to the Texans than some because he doesn't want some crazy Texans chick tearing him a new one.

Ultimately, the Texans win, the coverage will shift. Until then, crickets. Just the way it is.
About a week ago, I read her column and I sent an email to her on the topic of how ESPN is getting it wrong on a 24/7 basis. I specifically mentioned the David Carr commercials on espn where there was no oline, portraying that David was suffering at the hands of a bad oline...and then I fast-forwarded to this past offseason and the current regular season where we can see that DAVID is the one who is awful; that the sack totals have fallen dramatically since Kubiak came to Houston; that Schaub is somehow making things work with the same oline. I put it all on the table for her.

In her recent article (the one that motivated me to send her an email), she wiped the floor with ESPN's mainstay--SportsCenter--saying that it was in danger of alienating fans due to its overkill of Joe Torre/Yankees coverage, among other things that fans like us are noticing and sounding off on.

I thought it was weird that she could post a column on espn.com and have it be so critical...and STILL make it onto the espn website. She is definitely not a talking head, that's for sure.

Somebody, somewhere, is going to start an espn copy-cat station and do what espn does...but will do a solid job of reporting, therefore drawing in the espn audience. This is a ripe time for such a move, IMO.

People everywhere are disenfranchised with espn. The mystique is gone.
Old 11-24-2007   #31
dalonestartitan
Rookie

I'm waiting for there reply, and I'd email them five every month until we get one. and then, go to cnn with it for a story if they dont. Awesome letter.
dalonestartitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #32
prostock101
Mr. Big

I forwarded my email to the ESPN Ombudsman Le Ann Schreiber and her assistant sent me a response for her.....

A note from Le Anne:

I cannot respond personally to all the mail I receive, but I do read and take note of all complaints. When the complaints are specific to a show or to an article on espn.com, I forward them to the producer or editor in charge of that content. When there are several complaints on the same topic, I do a weekly tabulation that becomes part of a report sent to all of ESPN's top management. (I do the same for positive comments.) I cannot assure you that your complaints or mine will result in action, but I can assure you they are not lost in some cyberspace void. They are read, thought about, disseminated.

Thank you,

Le Anne Schreiber

Russell Goldstein
Assistant to the ESPN Ombudsman

Hmmmm..........I've been disseminated. Is that like a vasectomy?
Old 11-27-2007   #33
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Hmmmm..........I've been disseminated. Is that like a vasectomy?
You're a dog, you deserve it
Old 11-27-2007   #34
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
You're a dog, you deserve it
Yes, I have been nuetered and thanks for asking.....
Old 11-27-2007   #35
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post

Assistant to the ESPN Ombudsman
Sounds like the job George Constanza had with the Yankees.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read