Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2007   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My Email to ESPN

I finally had enough and fired off this email to ESPN this morning.

Houston fans are sick and tired of the ESPN driven hype of Reggie Bush and I am stunned at the obvious and blatant favoritism being shown this guy at every turn. The recent Texans/Saints game was the last straw. Ever since the 2006 draft, ESPN has taken every opportunity to promote Bush as the second coming and blast the Texans for taking Mario. Now we have a game with both players on the field and when Bush didnít produce, your network got very quiet. I can assure you if Bush had a huge game, the highlight reels and Subway commercials would have been non-stop. Instead, Mario had the huge game and there were no highlight reels of his outstanding play. Shame on you. You even go to great lengths to pad his stats to make him look better. Every running back in the NFL has his after game stats shown with carries and yards gained. But not Bush. He, for some reason, is the king of ďAll Purpose YardsĒ. I believe our own Ron Dayne outgained him in that category during that game but somehow that stat was overlooked. Itís almost comical the way ESPN has polished Bush to a retina destroying luster for their ratings, and when he failed to shine, you barely acknowledged it. Iím very curious to see how you will report the eventual sanctions the NCAA will have to hand down and the loss of his Heisman trophy. Thatís if the NCAA ever gets around to it. Funny how they put the hammer down on those two kids from Oklahoma in about two seconds for a few thousand bucks, but it takes over two years to investigate Bush and his family for taking hundreds of thousands in benefits. Simply amazing.
So how about this idea. Try being sports journalists instead of promoters. Your credibility might just go up around here.

Any comments?
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Email to ESPN

No comments, you're 100% right
Old 11-22-2007   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Very nice letter, but in the wrong thread. 1,2,3, move.

Look you've got to understand the eastern sports mind set. They pay a lot for the NFL package. There is more profit in the other minor sports than there is in thier football package. That is why they push Nascar, Hockey, and Baseball. Profit margin.

The only thing they got out of RB is a lot of egg on their collective faces. A lot of people, unprofessional people, laymen, called it spot on on Reggie Bush. They are so arrogant, they will never admit, 1. the '06 USC team was not the greatest football team of all time. 2. Reggie Bush was the second coming of {inert your own personel old school icon}. All that was was pot stirring to get everyone upset.

But since they are the sports leaders...they set the record, even if they are dead wrong. They ain't jounalists. They are entertainers. And as entertainers they feel no responsiblity to set the record straight. RB isn't a 180 degree bust from what they reported him to be.... yet.

But he's getting close.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-22-2007 at 11:20 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great post/email!

What gets me is Reggie's 70 yards receiving for the game...justifying his all purpose yards. He gained 33% of those yards on their last drive with under two minutes left when they were down by 13 points and clearly out of the game. We were playing prevent and Brees just threw the short dump off in the middle of the field to him 3 times.

Going into that drive Reggie had 15 carries for 34 (2.26 yards/carry) yards and 9 receptions for 47 yards (5.22 yards/reception). Congratulations Reggie, the only thing you did at the end of the game was surpass the 100 all purpose yard mark by 4 yards while running the risk of having an injury to a player from either team...all for pointless stats.

You don't have a chance to comeback while down 13 points with under 2 minutes left when you throw 5 yard passes in the middle of the field and have your QB sneak up the middle to end the game. All I was thinking during that drive was 'please don't let any texans get injured!!!!'
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #5
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post

Houston fans are sick and tired of the ESPN driven hype of Reggie Bush and I am stunned at the obvious and blatant favoritism being shown this guy at every turn. The recent Texans/Saints game was the last straw. Ever since the 2006 draft, ESPN has taken every opportunity to promote Bush as the second coming and blast the Texans for taking Mario. Now we have a game with both players on the field and when Bush didnít produce, your network got very quiet. I can assure you if Bush had a huge game, the highlight reels and Subway commercials would have been non-stop. Instead, Mario had the huge game and there were no highlight reels of his outstanding play. Shame on you. You even go to great lengths to pad his stats to make him look better. Every running back in the NFL has his after game stats shown with carries and yards gained. But not Bush. He, for some reason, is the king of ďAll Purpose YardsĒ. I believe our own Ron Dayne outgained him in that category during that game but somehow that stat was overlooked. Itís almost comical the way ESPN has polished Bush to a retina destroying luster for their ratings, and when he failed to shine, you barely acknowledged it. Iím very curious to see how you will report the eventual sanctions the NCAA will have to hand down and the loss of his Heisman trophy. Thatís if the NCAA ever gets around to it. Funny how they put the hammer down on those two kids from Oklahoma in about two seconds for a few thousand bucks, but it takes over two years to investigate Bush and his family for taking hundreds of thousands in benefits. Simply amazing.
So how about this idea. Try being sports journalists instead of promoters. Your credibility might just go up around here.

Any comments?
Amen!
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:

Any comments?
They don't mention Bush anymore haven't you seen. It is the Tony Romo network now.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
They don't mention Bush anymore haven't you seen. It is the Tony Romo network now.
At least Romo has justified the pub. RB has done very little in his NFL time. Could a stat monkey help me find out Reggies place in rushing in the leauge? Hell, go ahead and do all purpose yards.
Old 11-22-2007   #8
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
At least Romo has justified the pub. RB has done very little in his NFL time. Could a stat monkey help me find out Reggies place in rushing in the leauge? Hell, go ahead and do all purpose yards.
Ok, I'm bored so I'll be your stat monkey.

Bush is 38th in rushing with 48.5 YPG and a 3.6 YPC average. He leads all running backs with 5 fumbles. Surprisingly, Ron "Cookie Monster" Dayne is ranked 32nd.
Bush is 4th in receiving with 67 catches for a whopping 374 yards and a 5.6 YPC average.

I was shocked and saddened to find that there was no stat category for "All Purpose Yards" on NFL.com.
Old 11-22-2007   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bush is 38th in rushing with 48.5 YPG and a 3.6 YPC average. He leads all running backs with 5 fumbles. Surprisingly, Ron "Cookie Monster" Dayne is ranked 32nd.
Bush is 4th in receiving with 67 catches for a whopping 374 yards and a 5.6 YPC average.

I was shocked and saddened to find that there was no stat category for "All Purpose Yards" on NFL.com.
Mad love for my stat monkey. Amazing that he is so far back in rushing. That means back up running backs are outgaining the next coming. Wow, wish we had pulled that trigger.
Old 11-22-2007   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Mad love for my stat monkey. Amazing that he is so far back in rushing. That means back up running backs are outgaining the next coming. Wow, wish we had pulled that trigger.
and some said he would have helped Carr develop
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=prostock101;788086]Ok, I'm bored so I'll be your stat monkey.

I was shocked and saddened to find that there was no stat category for "All Purpose Yards" on NFL.com.[/QUOTE]

The reason you can't find "all purpose yards" RB stats on NFL.com......or any NFL stats source for that matter, is because "all purpose yards" is a COLLEGE stat...........once you enter the "big time," the NFL as an RB, you are evaluated solely by the standards of the classic RB position, i.e., YPG and YPC (and fumbles). ESPN as well as Bush have evidently not gotten past college..........they both continue to live in the past, because the present is so unappealing and unflaterring to either of them.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #12
prostock101
Mr. Big

[quote=CloakNNNdagger;788114]
Quote:

I was shocked and saddened to find that there was no stat category for "All Purpose Yards" on NFL.com.[/QUOTE]

The reason you can't find "all purpose yards" RB stats on NFL.com......or any NFL stats source for that matter, is because "all purpose yards" is a COLLEGE stat...........once you enter the "big time," the NFL as an RB, you are evaluated solely by the standards of the classic RB position, i.e., YPG and YPC (and fumbles). ESPN as well as Bush have evidently not gotten past college..........they both continue to live in the past, because the present is so unappealing and unflaterring to either of them.
I had no idea that "all purpose yards" wasn't even an NFL stat. But yet ESPN applies it to him after every game. And I really can't think of any other RB that they use it with.
Old 11-23-2007   #13
CLTEXAN_FAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 CLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVP

Quote:

Houston fans are sick and tired of the ESPN driven hype of Reggie Bush and I am stunned at the obvious and blatant favoritism being shown this guy at every turn. The recent Texans/Saints game was the last straw. Ever since the 2006 draft, ESPN has taken every opportunity to promote Bush as the second coming and blast the Texans for taking Mario. Now we have a game with both players on the field and when Bush didn’t produce, your network got very quiet. I can assure you if Bush had a huge game, the highlight reels and Subway commercials would have been non-stop. Instead, Mario had the huge game and there were no highlight reels of his outstanding play. Shame on you. You even go to great lengths to pad his stats to make him look better. Every running back in the NFL has his after game stats shown with carries and yards gained. But not Bush. He, for some reason, is the king of “All Purpose Yards”. I believe our own Ron Dayne outgained him in that category during that game but somehow that stat was overlooked. It’s almost comical the way ESPN has polished Bush to a retina destroying luster for their ratings, and when he failed to shine, you barely acknowledged it. I’m very curious to see how you will report the eventual sanctions the NCAA will have to hand down and the loss of his Heisman trophy. That’s if the NCAA ever gets around to it. Funny how they put the hammer down on those two kids from Oklahoma in about two seconds for a few thousand bucks, but it takes over two years to investigate Bush and his family for taking hundreds of thousands in benefits. Simply amazing.

Any comments?
NICE...

Have you had a reply from an ESPN rep? Let us know if and when you do.
Old 11-23-2007   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: My Email to ESPN

I have NEVER heard back from ESPN, not evena canned response. I gave up writing them years ago
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #15
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I have NEVER heard back from ESPN, not evena canned response. I gave up writing them years ago
I did receive a canned response thanking me for my email but don't expect anything else. Big surprise.
Old 11-23-2007   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Really good email. Unfortunately espn will continue their biased coverage.

Another thing that gets me about Bush is all the commercials this guy does and for having done what in the NFL? Nothing of any significance.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well said, prostock101.

Unfortunately, it will most likely fall on deaf ears at ESPiN.
Old 11-23-2007   #18
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: My Email to ESPN

Quote:
I did receive a canned response thanking me for my email but don't expect anything else. Big surprise.
Well, I got that one, lol.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #19
Baga21
Rookie

Well said Prostock...Nice gripe!!!!
Baga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #20
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Well said, prostock101.

Unfortunately, it will most likely fall on deaf ears at ESPiN.
Honestly, I was just fed up with the constant hype and commercials for a player that does not deserve it. Not to mention that he and his greedy family have put USC in danger of losing their National Championships AND having his Heisman taken away. Think his teammates on those teams might be a little pissed off?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read