Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2007   #1
Tim Couch
Rookie

Talking Browns fan here -- My thoughts on the game

(: Hello Texans fans, a Browns fan here!

I see a lot of parallels between the Texans and Cleveland Browns franchise. Namely, we both had to deal with the hardship of expansion. We've both had really stinky teams for several seasons, but we've stayed loyal. We've all had to deal with horrible quarterbacks (David Carr for you guys, Tim Couch - Charlie Frye for us). Now look, both teams are in playoff contention! Whoda' thunk it? I'll always like the Texans, just because of their similarities with Cleveland.

Anyway, on to the game. I haven't really followed the Texans much this season, so I don't fully know what to expect from you guys. I'll give you a heads up about Cleveland though.

If you guys expect to win, you *must* kick it to someone not named Josh Cribbs. This guy is underrated, and is the AFC version of Devin Hester.

Derek Anderson is the real deal. This guy has pocket presence and has a rocket for an arm. While his accuracy isn't great, he puts enough mustard on the ball so that defenders have trouble picking him off. He has trouble throwing short balls (under five yards), and prefers throwing it down field. He's more mobile than most think. The 6'6" QB *can* break a tackle and buy time avoiding sacks.

Our O-Line is one of the best in the league, letting Derek Anderson get sacked only ten times. Rookie Joe Thomas has yet to let a sack! (:

We have explosive receivers. Kellen Winslow is our biggest clutch weapon. If you throw it within 5 yards of him, he'll find a way to come down with it. Braylon Edwards makes all the circus catches, but he does drop easy ones, quite a bit. Joe Jurevicius is our Mr. 3rd Down. If we need to convert an important 3rd down, the ball is going to him.

Despite the stats, we've struggled running the ball this year. Jamal Lewis lost a step with age, and doesn't really have much breakaway speed. He still is capable of making big plays, however. Our change of pace back is Jason Wright. This youngster is fast and can shed a couple tackles.

Our D is horrible -- Not much more to say. Our D-lineman can't pressure the QB, our linebackers can't make tackles, and our DBs are slow. Rookie DB Eric Wright (who's questionable for the game) has really stepped it up this season. Leigh Bodden is slow and gets burned more times than not, but has great hands and could very well come up with a pick in the game. Our safety Sean Jones is fast and if his blitz is not picked up, he can whack the QB pretty well.

I'm sure you all saw Phil Dawson's field goal from last week. (: This guy is the man. 4th more accurate kicker in NFL history.

My keys for you guys to win:
*Keep the ball away from Josh Cribbs
*Shut down the passing game -- Force Cleveland to run
*Cleveland is managing 31.2 points per game, with Anderson starting -- Your offense must be able to put up at least 40 points.

I see Cleveland winning this game in a shootout. Andre Johnson is going to have a big game against our secondary, though. I believe that if we can hold him to under 100 yards, Cleveland has a good shot of winning.

It's Thanksgiving, and the Browns and Texans are playing a game against each other that matters! (: I love it!

Is there anything Cleveland should look out for?

Good luck this weekend!
Tim Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #2
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Browns fan here -- My thoughts on the game

First off, Great post and welcome to the board. Secondly, I don’t expect a shoot out like people predict. Andre Johnson is always a deep threat, but he is not alone. Andre Davis and Jacoby Jones also have tremendous speed and are able to burn defensive backs on any play. The problem is that Gary Kubiak doesn’t play that way. Expect the Texans to try to wear down the defense with low yield running plays right up the middle, no matter how effective they are, especially if we have the lead.

The problem with evaluating the Texans is our injuries. Each week has been a different dynamic based on injury after injury. Our defense was expected to give up huge plays to New Orleans with DROB down, but based on great pressure by our D-line our make shift back field held together pretty well. Facing a pretty darn good O-line like you guys are sporting, our defensive backs could get exposed this week.

Turnovers have been our other achilles heal this season. I’m expecting the Texans to work on this all week long and hopefully it won’t be an issue Sunday, but we loose games when we loose the turnover battle.

I don’t think the Texans have ever played with as much on the line as they will this week based on the fact that there is still playoff implications for us, but my keys to a Texan victory are:

*Special teams and keeping the Browns starting field position deep in their own territory.
*Defense and Mario and company getting pressure on the QB.
*Offense and not loosing the turnover battle

I’m really looking forward to this game as it being televised on AFN and I don’t have to pay $25 to watch it on Yahoo. Good luck and hopefully we can both walk away from this game without a lot of injuries.
Old 11-22-2007   #3
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh yeah, Look out for Kevin Walter- Great routes and good hands. Owen Daniels has sure hands and always seems to get open. The Dayne Train looked really good when he took the dump pass and had a full head of steam before his first hit. I expect the coaches noticed how effective this was as well and will call it a few times throught the game. If Green is healthy and that is a huge if, he does have break away speed, or so I'm told. I think the biggest thing about Andre Johnsons return last week is that the Browns will have to think about double teaming him which will open up the field for everyone else.
Old 11-22-2007   #4
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

You forgot one HUGE similarity between the two. Unless I missed your mentioning of it.

The Browns lost their team pretty much the same way Houston did...Stadium problems. So then they becom the Ravens, the Browns come back to Cleveland and are now in the same division as the Ravens.

So we know how you guys feel. Except at least you guys kept your history, all our history according to NFL is 'Titan' History and I hate that. You guys kept your color, logo, everything.

But yeah I always like the Browns because the two franchises are kind of similar. Usually when the Texans and Browns meet its about who gets the better draft pick...now tough its about playoffs. Welcome to the board.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post, Tim Couch and welcome to the Texans board. I always like it when someone from the opposing team comes in here and makes a good football post without the posturing, so a rep to you Sir.

For myself, I don’t see this as “the most important” game we’ve played because of the playoff implications as I don’t see the Texans as good enough yet to make the playoffs. I look to each game to see if the Texans are ever going to establish some consistency. We have yet to be consistent in anything this year except for turning the ball over.

You guys (on average) rush for about ten yards a game more than us and we complete passes for about 25 yards a game more than you. Not a huge difference, but you guys score about 5 more points a game than we do.

On defense you guys give up about 25 yards of rushing more than we do and about 45 yards more in passing than we do. Your defense only gives up about five more points a game than we do.

It seems to me the stats are almost a wash except for our passing yardage average, which doesn’t mean a whole lot when the QB is intercepted so much. For the most part our offenses are pretty even but we have a better defense. I see this as a very good match up and a good test for both teams. If you guys take it, you could be on your way to a playoff spot. If we take it, perhaps we’ll finally start showing some consistency.

So here’s to a good game with no injuries.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #6
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Howdy Tim. Welcome aboard and thank you for making a fairly decent post on an opposing team's board, it's a rare act of sportsmanship these days.

Anyways, since you gave us a heads up, I'd be more than happy to tell you what the Browns should do if they expect to win.

1) Do not under-estimate Ron Dayne. Whether a lot of fans on this board like it or not, Ron Dayne is the most consistent and productive back that we have. He almost seems injury proof (no jinx) and has only 5 or 6 career fumbles in his 8 year career. He is almost always good for 60 or more yards, which is fine because the Houston Texans are a passing the football kind of team. You wont see a lot of big plays on the ground from us, but do not blow off Ron Dayne, or he'll blow you up on the field.

2) Do not become one dimensional. Yes, you have a QB with a hot hand and two of the best recievers in Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow (TE). However, it would be very unwise to not establish the run. Our secondary is not as weak as it looks on paper. If you try throwing the ball 50 times, Anderson is inexperienced enough to make a mistake...one that just may cost you the game. Try to establish the run, as our defense is not particularly good in the run stopping department. Jamal Lewis isn't great, but you're a passing team. The same thing I said about Dayne applies to Jamal Lewis.

3) Step it up on defense. Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson are both back, and whopped a path of ass a mile wide this last Sunday against the Saints. Someone in your secondary is going to have to step it up and make a play to limit our ability to throw the football. Otherwise, it'll be another good day for the Schaub-Johnson connection...and a long day for Browns fans.

That's all I got for you. I don't want to give away all of the team's secrets. Either way, it ought to be a good game. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Sig by False Start on #69

Last edited by adam; 11-22-2007 at 11:27 AM.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Browns fan here -- My thoughts on the game

I wasa Browns fan in college (all my room mates were) before I became a Texans fan and then coincidentally moved down here.

So I have an open bar tab riding on this game with my boy back in Ohio.

I personally expect a shoot-out, with the game coming down to our kickers.

And while Phil Dawson is great, Kris Brown is better

I think we have the edge in our D, but some how Anderson keeps finding a way to get it done.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2007   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

What should Cleveland look for?

i'd say AJ and Owen Daniels, they are pretty much our Best weapons, Schaub (like anderson) is a good Qb that likes to spread it around. so I see similarities with the Offense .. As far as Running the ball, I haven't seem Jamal Lewis this season so I don't know much on how he is doing or if he is still explosive where he can take it to paydirt. Dayne like some said doesn't fumble but but can be semi-steady (reason I say that is he is one that if offense can wear down the defense he might squirt a 10 yarder or so in the 4th)

Defensively ...watch #59 for us: MLB Demeco Ryans... flies all over the place and doesn't miss many tackles. Mario will probably be moved around again so he will line up all over the place.. I noticed from www.footballoutsiders.com that Cleveland likes to run up the middle (45 percent of the time according to them) ...so our rookie Okoye and TJ better be ready to clog the middle.

welcome to the board Tim

heres to a good game and hopefully no injuries
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #9
ActualTexan
upright biped

Nice post Browns fan. Welcome to the board.

Look out for A.J....and a big time Texans hunger for a win. We WILL be coming to play on Sunday! Best of luck.
ActualTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #10
maddogmrb
Veteran

Rep Power: 5153 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Tim Couch .... you make me sick! All off-season I told people on this and other boards that we needed to do whatever it takes to move up and draft Joe Thomas and everybody tore me apart for that stance ........ And now you're telling me he hasn't allowed ONE sack in his ROOKIE season! You should be banned from our board...
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

How's Antwan Peek doing for you guys?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #12
Tim Couch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
How's Antwan Peek doing for you guys?
He's doing pretty well. He had a sack 2 weeks ago against Pittsburgh. (: He's been filling in for an injured D'Qwell Jackson. Jackson is expected to start on Sunday.
Tim Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Tim Couch .... you make me sick! All off-season I told people on this and other boards that we needed to do whatever it takes to move up and draft Joe Thomas and everybody tore me apart for that stance ........ And now you're telling me he hasn't allowed ONE sack in his ROOKIE season! You should be banned from our board...
If Cleveland would have traded down with us, we'd have to give up our 1st Round pick and Matt Schaub. So essentially we're looking at trading Schaub and Okoye for Joe Thomas. (and have sage or Carr as our QB)= our #8 overall, 2nd round pick of '07 and '08's 2nd round pick.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Cleveland Browns TE Kellen Winslow thoughts on the game -

(on the Texans’ defense) “You know, they just line up and play football. They don’t really bring anything exotic. They’re very vanilla in what they do. But they just line up and play football and they do a good job. They know their offense is turning over the ball, so we just have to, we have to execute on offense and keep their high-powered offense off the field with Andre Johnson, a big-play guy. So just got to keep the ball in our hands, time of possession, win the time of possession and turnovers, and we should win the game.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3941
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Browns are gonna win.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

You think our franchises are similar, think about this:

We lost the Oilers franchise, they moved up to Tennessee and got to a superbowl within at the most 5 years.

The Browns lose their franchise, and within I think less than that (Probably 1 or 2 years), they move to Baltimore and win a Superbowl.

Coincidence?

Last edited by b0ng; 11-23-2007 at 09:14 AM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #17
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
You think our franchises are similar, think about this:

We lost the Oilers franchise, they moved up to Tennessee and won a superbowl within at the most 5 years.

The Browns lose their franchise, and within I think less than that (Probably 1 or 2 years), they move to Baltimore and win a Superbowl.

Coincidence?
Except the Titans didn't win a Super Bowl.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

^^ thanks, I'm a little hungover from the extra turkey leg.

They did get within 1 yard though.
Old 11-23-2007   #19
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9067 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
^^ thanks, I'm a little hungover from the extra turkey leg.

They did get within 1 yard though.
They got within 1 yard of tying the game, not winning it.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #20
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1256 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing I'm worried about is our secondary. As far as offense goes, We can spread the ball around alot. With AJ back, if you double up on him, walters or Davis will make you pay. Oh, and Owen Daniels is tough. To steal a quote, - If you don't have a guy on him - he'll hurt ya bad.
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read