Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-20-2007   #1
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Detroit and Dallas and Thanksgiving

Ever wonder why these two teams play at home every Thanksgiving?

Detroit and Dallas have been traditional TV games on Thanksgiving for a long time. When I was growing up there was always the Detroit-Green Bay game to watch followed by Dallas against whomever.

When I was in the NFL, there was always a feeling among many -- especially coaches and GMs -- that the Lions and Cowboys had an unfair advantage playing at home every Thanksgiving Day.

Should other teams be able to cut the turkey on their home field?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10483708/1

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #2
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Detroit and Dallas and Thanksgiving

Dallas still ranks number 1 in national programming for viewers, it's all money! Home field advantage. . .? Yes, I agree it its'nt fair. but it sells sponsorships for the networks and that is what makes the market what it is.
Got my POST SEASON invoice for the Cowboys already. . .$495 for the 2 seats I own!
Old 11-20-2007   #3
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I was interested in reading that story until I saw that ugly mug and realized who wrote it. Just the sound of his voice makes me want to puke and if I read that I would be imagining his voice.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Troy Aikman made an interesting point, that if Dallas and Detroit do keep the Thxgiving game, they should have to play that game on the road.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Troy Aikman made an interesting point, that if Dallas and Detroit do keep the Thxgiving game, they should have to play that game on the road.
I like that suggestion.
Old 11-20-2007   #6
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know, it just wouldn't seem like Thanksgiving to me without Detroit then Dallas. Since I'm a 'Boys fan and nobody in my family is, it's made for some memorable Turkey days.

But regardless who you're a fan of, if Detroit is playing at home at 11:30 on a Thursday, you KNOW it's Thanksgiving.

Anyone remember the Blue-Gray game on Christmas day? When we got to grandma's house, gramps always had the Blue-Gray game on. Must be Christmas. They stopped having that game and it just wasn't the same. Never cared about the game in particular, just that when it was on, we're at granny's, it's Christmas, and we're about to throw down some serious groceries.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always "heard" that when the league pitched that idea to the teams the Cowboys and Lions were the only ones interested in even doing it...so out of that has grown a tradition. The other teams have complained about it for years (I definitely remember Lamar Hunt was very vocal about it when he was alive) but the games have become somewhat of a tradition for both Detroit and Dallas and the league has let it be.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2007   #8
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

I say, Let em play. If that one game is a deciding factor in the overall out come. So be it. I'm not a cowboy fan, but it is a tradition.
Old 11-21-2007   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think at the time the idea was pitched to the teams of course there was not the TV revenue and all that...and I guess the teams thought it would be a hindrance to have to get their guys ready in 4 days to play.

I believe Tex is the one that got on board for the Cowboys.

As a Cowboys fan I like the tradition and when I went to the games it was always a lot of fun.

I do see though that it is unfair to the other teams and times have changed.

I don't know how it is even decided anymore...I would think if it came to a vote of owners they'd let every team have a shot at the game.

It's just always been that way.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see any other teams playing on Turkey Day except Dallas and Detroit. It just wouldn't feel like a Thanksgiving day game if neither of them were playing

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all don't forget the Colts are playing the Falcons on Turkey day too. It should be a real nail biter of a game. It's on NFLN.
Old 11-21-2007   #12
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Y'all don't forget the Colts are playing the Falcons on Turkey day too. It should be a real nail biter of a game. It's on NFLN.
LOL

I really like the tradition and it is realy fun being there on Thanksgiving even though the Texas Cheesesteaks are no comparison to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. In addition to the game, they always come up with a crowd pleaser at halftime. I also like that time used as a kickoff for the huge support of the Salvation Army.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If Dallas and Detroit continue to play on Thanksgiving, I think they should play each other.
Old 11-21-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yes but there are alot of people who will not get to see the game because it is on that over priced network.
Old 11-21-2007   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Yes but there are alot of people who will not get to see the game because it is on that over priced network.
True, but I highly doubt you'll miss much.
Old 11-21-2007   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
it's free for me.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read