Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 11-19-2007   #1
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default worst calls in history of Houston sports

I thought it would be fun to take advantage of the collective knowledge, and list some of the worst officiating calls in Houston sports history.

1. Oilers. AFC Championship against PIT. Mike Renfro's TD reception that was not. I always think of this play when someone tries to tell me that Instant Replay is communist.
2. Astros. 1986 Playoffs vs Mets. Craig Reynolds was safe at first. Apparently, the ump saw it differently.
3. Astros. 1980 (81?) Playoffs vs Phillies. Vern Ruhle caught that pop-up. The ump ruined a triple play.

Many, many more. But I open up the floor to your picks.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #2
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: worst calls in history of Houston sports

Refro.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

The 35-3 debacle in Buffalo. Don BeBe's toe was out of bounds and the Refs didn't call it.

That was the TD that started the rally.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
I thought it would be fun to take advantage of the collective knowledge, and list some of the worst officiating calls in Houston sports history.

1. Oilers. AFC Championship against PIT. Mike Renfro's TD reception that was not. I always think of this play when someone tries to tell me that Instant Replay is communist.
2. Astros. 1986 Playoffs vs Mets. Craig Reynolds was safe at first. Apparently, the ump saw it differently.
3. Astros. 1980 (81?) Playoffs vs Phillies. Vern Ruhle caught that pop-up. The ump ruined a triple play.

YES!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
Refro.
YES!!! YES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
The 35-3 debacle in Buffalo. Don BeBe's toe was out of bounds and the Refs didn't call it.

YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!
Old 11-19-2007   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

1. The Mike Renfro call without a doubt.
2. 1979 Cotton Bowl. That was not a touchdown Joe Montana threw at the end of the game. Notre Dame did not beat UH fair and square that day.
3. It was more than Bebe's toe that was out-of-bounds.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #6
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

There's so many it's hard to pick the worst.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #7
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes to all the above!

92-93 Rockets-Spurs, bad call by the ref at the end that allowed a Robinson basket. Cost us home court advantage, we needed it because the Sonics-Rockets series came down to the teams winning on their home floor. We probably would have met the Bulls that year.

non officiating calls, I would have to say "Stagger Lee"

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2007   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 167815 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed with all. One that I think could be thrown out there with a quick explanation.

Bud Selig not letting us (I say "us," can't help it) keep the roof closed for the WS with the White Sox. I'm in no way saying that made a difference, that is taking way too much for granted and there's no way one can say it cost us, although I wish I could. I am saying that that was our home-field advantage like the cold was in Chicago and if we wanted the roof to OUR stadium closed that should have been our perogative. I still to this day can't believe Selig, even Selig, did that.

Again, all of the above mentioned are good calls (ironically put, I know.)
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #9
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't remember if it was the 94 or 95 season, and not so much a bad call, but anyone remember it was the end of he game, Jazz throw the ball in bounds and the clock didn't start for like 15 seconds.

Or 2 years ago against the Mavs......Stackhouse's foot was out of bounds and he strips the ball and it was given to the mavs. Then at the end of the game.....the phantom foul.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #10
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG! How many yards did Beebe run while out of bounds?! That was heinous. Yet another top candidate for the need for instant replay. Incidentally, has Buffalo *ever* lost a playoff game in Buffalo?

If only there was an electronic means of accessing terabytes of data from my desktop...
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #11
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry Glanville's "Stagger Lee " play call @ Dever in the playoffs!
Old 11-19-2007   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

This was my first thought after the obvious ones - and it wasn't his toe - as I recall he ran WAY out of bounds.

In that same game, Warren Moon was intercepted in overtime - but only because one of the Buffalo defenders (I *think* it was Darryl Talley) literally put one of our receivers (I *think* it was Drew Hill) in a bear hug. The pass was intended for Hill, but was picked off.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #13
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post

GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #14
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

The worst call in Houston sports history was made by Bud Adams..moving his team to Bugtussle.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read