Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2007   #1
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Darius Walker getting moved up?

Just read this on McClain's blob, er, I mean blog...

Coach Gary Kubiak plans to move up rookie Darius Walker this week. I can't wait to see him. He was the fourth-leading rusher in Notre Dame history and came out a year early. Maybe he knew something about the Irish that no one else knew, that they'd be horrendous in Charlie Weis' third season.

Walker wasn't drafted. When he reported to the Texans, he was still in a funk, and it showed. When they cut him, they told him he better get serious about football. And he did. After he re-signed, he worked his tail off to get better. And he has. It's time to give him some carries off the bench against the Browns.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/11/t...010_reach.html

Anyone else heard anything about this?
Old 11-19-2007   #2
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Darius Walker getting moved up?

nope but I do like to hear that. I'd like to see what he can do.
Old 11-19-2007   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't it just be hilarious if Walker had a great game and stuck for the rest of the season and ended up alot more productive than Reggie Bush over the rest of the season.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very excited to see him play. I want to know if he has got anything to offer or was he a kid that thought more of himself than what he was.

Putting him in against Cleveland is a good testing ground to decide whether or not he is NFL material.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wish Chris Taylor never hurt his knee........that guy flashed great promise and had the rare size and speed combination that's extremely hard to find. If he never got hurt, with the injuries to Ahman and Dayne's two yard runs, Taylor would've had a great chance to showcase his talent.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I just wish Chris Taylor never hurt his knee........that guy flashed great promise and had the rare size and speed combination that's extremely hard to find. If he never got hurt, with the injuries to Ahman and Dayne's two yard runs, Taylor would've had a great chance to showcase his talent.
But think about the possibility of having Walker be a great running back along with Taylor.

They could be our Barber/Jones combo.

Of course assuming Tayor can come back the same and Walker is worth the roster spot.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
But think about the possibility of having Walker be a great running back along with Taylor.

They could be our Barber/Jones combo.

Of course assuming Tayor can come back the same and Walker is worth the roster spot.
Counting on two UDFAs to be as productive as two Day 1 RBs is way to optimistic for my tastes. Espically since on of those UDFAs had a serious knee injury, and the other has already been cut once.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2007   #8
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31195 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see what he can do as well, just not right now, not this week. Some of you are buying into a little playoff hype, and if you are ;I don't think this is the right time to experiment. That is unless we can take a commanding lead in a game. I am not the biggest Ron Dayne fan, but I have to admit he has had 2 good back to back games. Let's roll with the hot hand for now and see where it takes us. If we are out of contention in the next few weeks, then by all means lets see what the kid has to offer.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #9
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
I'd like to see what he can do as well, just not right now, not this week. Some of you are buying into a little playoff hype, and if you are ;I don't think this is the right time to experiment. That is unless we can take a commanding lead in a game. I am not the biggest Ron Dayne fan, but I have to admit he has had 2 good back to back games. Let's roll with the hot hand for now and see where it takes us. If we are out of contention in the next few weeks, then by all means lets see what the kid has to offer.
Ya never know the effects of the prime time lights have on some players. Just as I don't put a ton of merit in to speed time in combines, it's what they can do on the field under the lights that makes it or breaks it for me. Being #4 all time at ND merits me wanting to see what he can do with the rest of the boys that start on Sunday. I honestly don't see that he could do worse than Dayne
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
You can spell Dayne by giving Walker 6-8 carries, as long as he doesn't put the ball on the ground, and see what he has. If he shows some ability, you gradually increase those looks. It's not really experimenting if you're not giving Walker carries at anyone else's expense. Right now, we have no one past Dayne.
Old 11-19-2007   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

With Walker coming up, does this mean everyone is giving up on Echemondu? I hope not, and I hope the coaches don't give up on him either. I know the fumble he had on his 1st carry in this game doesn't look good, but I hope we're not ready to "throw him under the bus" already. He looked real good against SD and I just think it's too early to make any kind of judgement on him yet.

I know we are thin at RB with Green being down, and Kubes probably just wants another RB to go to in case Dayne goes down, but I'd hate to see them just leave Eche on the bench and forget about him. I just think it would be a waste. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
You can spell Dayne by giving Walker 6-8 carries, as long as he doesn't put the ball on the ground, and see what he has. If he shows some ability, you gradually increase those looks. It's not really experimenting if you're not giving Walker carries at anyone else's expense. Right now, we have no one past Dayne.
I agree somewhat. I don't think we have any RBs (other than a healthy Green) that is worth a flip. Sure, Dayne looked ok statistically. I still think there was a buttload of yards left on the field yesterday due to lack of speed, vision, coordination, etc. Seeing Dayne run to the outside is a loss waiting to happen (hence Walter running it once).

Even though it didn't hurt us, the 4th and one play royally pissed me off. The dude weighs 260 pounds, yet he stops and does a little dance before hitting the line. Hit the hole!

IMO, There were many holes opened up for him that any other back with a hint of speed would've outgained him by at least 50 yards or more.

Let the bashing begin.
Old 11-19-2007   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree somewhat. I don't think we have any RBs (other than a healthy Green) that is worth a flip. Sure, Dayne looked ok statistically. I still think there was a buttload of yards left on the field yesterday due to lack of speed, vision, coordination, etc. Seeing Dayne run to the outside is a loss waiting to happen (hence Walter running it once).

Even though it didn't hurt us, the 4th and one play royally pissed me off. The dude weighs 260 pounds, yet he stops and does a little dance before hitting the line. Hit the hole!

IMO, There were many holes opened up for him that any other back with a hint of speed would've outgained him by at least 50 yards or more.

Let the bashing begin.
I'm with you on the short yardage issue. I'm not joking at all when I say that I'd like to see Okoye get some short yardage/goal line carries... he can't be too much worse than Dayne, if any.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

from the tone of Gary at his Monday presser, it seems that Walker has earned an opportunity to get in there. if the guy can make his cut and go upfield you could have some success here. maybe he can. with dayne, the OL can do a perfect job and we are only getting 8-10 yards best case. We need a guy that can turn that into a touchdown and not just a firstdown.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read