Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2007   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are Coaches just arrogant, stubborn or just stupid?

I cannot for the life of me understand why many coaches will not bench a player that is obvious not playing well and is not the answer at that position and not give someone behind them a chance to prove themselves. Look at Faggins. It took an injury for someone else to to get a chance. And now, I think many people want to see more of echemandu . But Kubiak won't play him. He looked pretty good in the Chargers game and we haven't really seen him since. Everyone knows that Dayne is not the answer. Even though he has been playing well lately. He is just a stop/gap back. And Maybe Itchi is not the answer but let see what he can do!!!!

And NFL coaches are not the only ones. Van Gundy is the most stubborn coach I have ever seen. He never played rookies and his relationship with Bonzi Wells got in the way of Bonzi's playing time. That is why I loved Rudy T. When he was with the Rockets. He gave everyone a try and if you produced you got playing time. Rookies, European players, it didn't matter. He wanted to see what every player had.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #2
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default Re: Are Coaches just arrogant, stubborn or just stupid?

Bennet has been nicked up during the season, and Faggins really has not been that bad for most of the season. I think yesterday was a mixture of things, such as good playcalling, pressure from Mario and good secondary play (and some timely drops). But one game isnt a season, Bennet is still a rooky and our safties have not been great. I think another thing that helps is more conservative play calling in the secondary to account for the absence of Drob. With Dunta, we played a lot of man coverage, which often exposed Faggins. Now that we dont trust either corner in a lot of man, we are giving them more help with safties and linebackers, and so far its worked.
Old 11-19-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

With Kubiak, you have a short leash if you don't hold on to the ball. It is one of the biggest mistakes you could make with this head coach, and a player has to earn his confidence to get put back into the game.
Old 11-19-2007   #4
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
And now, I think many people want to see more of echemandu . But Kubiak won't play him. He looked pretty good in the Chargers game and we haven't really seen him since. Everyone knows that Dayne is not the answer. Even though he has been playing well lately. He is just a stop/gap back. And Maybe Itchi is not the answer but let see what he can do!!!!
If he wants more playing time he should try to not fumble the first hand-off he takes. At this point I'm happy with Dayne.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
If he wants more playing time he should try to not fumble the first hand-off he takes. At this point I'm happy with Dayne.
I'd rather look at the big picture. If Itchi keeps fumbling than take him out. But he hasn't really had a chance.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173004 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
Oh Lord I hate to admit this, because I'm so anti-Dayne, but I agree. Though he sucks as a runner at least he doesn't fumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #7
sbalderrama

from things Kubiak has said in the past, players have to prove themselves capable of playing in practice before he lets them on the field. And running backs better be able to block in pass protection as well. Its like when the coaches do put someone in and all the fans are like "see, we should have put them in before", but chances are the player has needed the practice in the intervening weeks to be ready to hit the field. This team wants to win, not just throw people into the game to see what you have. Thats what you do when a season is lost, not when you are fighting for your life.
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2007   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd rather look at the big picture. If Itchi keeps fumbling than take him out. But he hasn't really had a chance.
we're 5-5.. no need to go experimenting while we're still in the WC race

happy with safe hands, slow legs dayne also
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #9
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At this point, I still think that the Texans are trying to be a playoff contender. What you're proposing might be a good idea for teams who are already out of the race and are just trying to see what they have going into the next year, but the Texans are trying to win right now.

And a rookie running back who fumbles his first carry of the day will NOT help you win a football game. Yes, Dayne is NOT the answer of the future, but he also does not fumble and was a huge factor in the win on Sunday over the Saints.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #10
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Or none of the above..

Maybe they just know more about their players and the nfl in general than the average message board poster.

JMHO

Old 11-19-2007   #11
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are 3 things a RB is truely responsible for. And I think they go in this order.

Securing the ball
Picking up the blitz/providing pass protection
YPC/Gaining Yardage (sexy stat)

I'm as guilty as anyone of looking at Dayne and calling him a bum but the fact is he does #1 and #2 well. He's below average at #3 but personally, thinking this is not "our year" I'll take #2 over any right now. I seriously doubt that our starting running back next year is even on the roster. If Ichi develops over the next few years.. GREAT.. pull a NYJ and trade your primary back's backup but i under no circumstances, want to put our QB at jeopardy especially given the already depleated OL.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how you could fast-track your way into the head coach's dog house any quicker than Echemandu did. Putting the ball on the ground on your first carry???

He'll be lucky to get on the field the rest of the season, the knucklehead.

To echo someone else, Dayne protects the football and he protects the QB. All things considered, if he can get yardage running the football, that's gravy.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #13
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

This reminds me of some quote from some coach I don't remember,

He said (talking to his player): Son, what is it with you, ignorance or apathy?

Player: Coach, I don't know and I don't care.

But, seriously. This thread would be relevant if Dayne was playing bad at the time, which we all know he is capable of. But the fact of the matter is, Dayne is playing pretty well right now and Echemandu fumbled on his first carry of the game. If it broke (at the moment), then don't fix it.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #14
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
we're 5-5.. no need to go experimenting while we're still in the WC race

happy with safe hands, slow legs dayne also
Now thats funny.
Old 11-20-2007   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Dayne. There, I said it. He might not be the fastest back in the league, but he still managed to grind out more yards that Reggie Bush, one of the fastest and most elusive backs in the game.

Dayne gets beter during the game, but I also think that the last two games, they've let him run harder and a bit more to the outside. Apart from that 4th down mishap, I really like what I see from him.

Also, his personality reminds me about Andre, quiet, head down doing his job.
Old 11-20-2007   #16
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I must admit prior to the fumble I was up in section 514 screaming to see Itchy. However after the fumble I had lost my edge! I really thought the Saints would start trying to throw deep on our wounded secondary at some point so I did not want to take the chance of giving them any extra possessions. We have had to many games in our history were we let the lead slip away with stupis mistakes like turn overs, I cant really blame Kubiak for not wanting to tisk it. Besides, who would have thought Payton would try and force the run and settle for the underneath stuff!

Support our troops

Last edited by Htownsportsfan; 11-20-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #17
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Or none of the above..

Maybe they just know more about their players and the nfl in general than the average message board poster.

JMHO

Yeah... but how do they compare to slightly above average message board posters... like us?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #18
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Dayne gets beter during the game, but I also think that the last two games, they've let him run harder and a bit more to the outside.
That was something I noticed, also. It seemed like Dayne's runs outside were very effective. He seemed to do a better job of breaking tackles when he was in a bit more open field (well, I guess that's to be expected, but still). Assuming Dayne is our starter the next few games, I hope they give him some more of these outside runs, rather than thinking "big back == run inside".

Even on that 4th and 1 play, I had the feeling that if he had really tried to go around the edge once he saw the line was stuffed, rather than dancing and trying to pick a hole in the line, he would have made it. It didn't look like there was much outside containment from New Orleans, and even if someone had moved up, I think he could have broken the tackle or dragged one tackler for the distance.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #19
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Yeah... but how do they compare to slightly above average message board posters... like us?

They pale in comparison... ...

Actually there are some very knowledgeable posters on here.

Old 11-20-2007   #20
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not against Ron Dayne. I'm not against anyone that the coaches think can get the job done.

However, whenever I hear anything about Ron Dayne, it seems like it's "Why didn't he see that gaping cutback lane?" or "If he'd just gone to his left..." I don't think it's so much that he's slow (which he is, obviously) as it is that he doesn't have the vision.

Still, he doesn't fumble, and he does a decent enough job for a #2.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read