Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-20-2007   #21
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans/Browns...by the Numbers

Without looking at any numbers this game scares me. A team that likes to put up points and throw it around the field...top TE, bigtime WR...vs a defense whose secondary will be tested away from home. We need to control the pace.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 11-20-2007 at 12:00 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #22
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting those stats. One thing that I'm too lazy to look up are the opponents both teams played. If the Browns are scoring a lot of points against GOOD defenses, its different than if they were playing a poor defense. same goes for the offense and the Texans. Some sort of weighted average would be handy..but very difficult.

I thought the Saints game was going to be really high scoring too but our defense really stepped it up. I sure hope we can do that against the Browns. Our offense is so much fun to watch with AJ back on the field.

Key Factors (as with any game):
1. Texans Offensive Line- I don't know much about the browns or how their DL is doing. Gotta keep Schaub upright and create running lanes for Green/Dayne.
2. Browns Offensive Line- Seems to be playing well, has Joe Thomas even given up a sack yet this season? Mario will probably be playing on the left side a bit more. Our DL needs to play like they did on Sunday. Can't give Anderson all day to throw...he's got some really good wr's.
[/u]
Quote:
SACKFEST: The Browns had six sacks on Boller and four last week against Ben Roethlisberger for a total of 10 in two weeks. Before those two games, they had seven in the previous eight outings.
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/200...quarter_7.html

Unless Thomas gave up one last week he was sitting on zero sacks. Although they have some folks beat up, they're getting to the QB.
Old 11-20-2007   #23
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am glad to see that they give up that many average rush yards per game. We should be able to have success running the ball and chewing up clock, and will also make the play action very effective, which we do very well. If we do that and win the turnover battle we should be able to get the W.
Old 11-20-2007   #24
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texans/Browns...by the Numbers

I think it's going to be a VERY high scoring game, decided by a field goal. That's how the Browns have been doing it.

And, well, Dawson is great, but Brown >>> Dawson!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #25
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an interesting stat I came across on Derek Anderson

TD Int
1 1
5 1
1 2
2 1
2 3
3 0
-- --
3 0
0 1
3 0
0 1

On odd week he throws the same, or more, amount of INTs as TDs.

And the even week he throws more TDs then Ints.

14-2 TD/INT ratio on even weeks.

4-8 ratio on odd weeks.

Guess what week we're playing them on?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #26
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

TD Int
1 1
5 1
1 2
2 1
2 3
3 0
-- --
3 0
0 1
3 0
0 1

4-8 ratio on odd weeks.

Haha, wow, I would have never noticed that. Hopefully this trend is snapped this week....
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #27
stevn8r
Zombie

Section: 117 Row F 18-19
Rep Power: 197 stevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to stevn8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

TD Int
1 1
5 1
1 2
2 1
2 3
3 0
-- --
3 0
0 1
3 0
0 1

4-8 ratio on odd weeks.

WOW THAT IS BEGGING!!!!

luckily, I'm not beyond that!
Old 11-21-2007   #28
stevn8r
Zombie

Rep Power: 197 stevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respected

oops, I obviously don't know odd from even.....Still not scared!
Old 11-21-2007   #29
stevn8r
Zombie

Well actually, if you skip the bye. he reversed himself. So, he is not in control of his weeks and this is actually an odd week and therefore I am the one who is begging and I am sure there is some sort of mathmatical equation to suport my lunacy......

Ok, I'll shut up.
Go Texans!
Old 11-21-2007   #30
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can score first and grab some momentum then our defense will bend but not break like against the saints as long as the offense keeps us in it. Those cleveland playmakers kinda scare me but Derek Anderson can be rattled hes only been good for 6 games in his career. Remember they have both their starting guards and right tackle banged up I imagine 2 if not all wont play.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #31
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 248646 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If the same Texan's team that played the Saints shows up for the Brownies, we'll take 'em. If not, well, you know the drill. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #32
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

This will most certainly be a tough game. We'll be playing on the road against a Browns team that has some damn good targets in Edwards, Winslow, and even Jurevicious. They're targets are much like ours in AJ, Daniels, and Walter. AJ & Edwards are the top priority for opposing defenses, while Daniels & Winslow are top flight TEs who'll eat up LBs in coverage. Walters & Jurevicious are chain movers with sure hands. They take advantage of opposing defenses that roll coverage to the big play WRs on their teams.

Heck even when you look at each teams starting RB we've got a lot in common. The Browns have Lewis who pounds opposing defenses & gets better as the game goes on. We've got Dayne who also pounds defenses getting them tired leading to bigger runs later in the game. With all that said I think this game will be won or lost by defense.

I have no doubt we'll see plenty of scoring in this game, but it will be the defense that can force a key turnover late or come up with a key stop that will end up with the W. For our defense to come out on top we'll need a terrific effort from the D-Line. Mario, TJ, Amobi, and Kalu will have to put consistent pressure on Anderson. If we're able to get pressure it will make things easier on our secondary. If we're unable to get pressure with our front four & we have to blitz a lot then I think Anderson will be able to make us pay with passes to Winslow & Edwards.

Cleveland's defense worries me some. They've got some very good young players in Sean Jones (who's a very good blitzer), Leon Williams, Andra Davis, & Wimbley. They also have a few former Texans in Robaire Smith, Antwan Peek, & Kenny Wright who I think will be fired up to play their former team. Smith had a very good game against Baltimore with a couple of sacks. Sean Jones also had a hand in the 100 yard interception return by Pool as he timed his blitz perfectly getting to Boller just as he released the ball. Our offensive line will have to play a very good game & give Schaub time to find the open receivers. It looks like it should be an exciting game.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #33
jaybird
Veteran

Ahhhh the Browns game! Finally!

As some might know I am a Browns fan first and a Houston fan second... so unfortunatly for the Texans I have to root against (only time I will do so unless they meet my Browns in the playoffs).

This should be a VERY exciting game! Two very good offenses against two sub-par defenses.

Let me tell some on the Browns. Most have already put up good numbers and analysis on the Browns. But I watch them every week (usually Sunday night since I'm at every Texans Home game), and have been watching them since I was 2.

Their offense is MUCH improved from last year. Mainly due to our OL. We have a very solid OL in terms of pass blocking. It'll be really interesting to see how the Browns OL holds up against the strength of the Texans defense in their DL. There have been a couple games that the Browns have not given up a sack this year (which was unheard of in the past). I personally see the Texans getting a sack or two. Their DL is just too good. Thomas has been FANTASTIC this year and IMO should go to the pro-bowl this year. Mario vs Thomas would be a great match up.

The Browns WRs are doing well this year. Edwards is having a break out year, Joe is solid but obvious #2. Kellen Winslow is basically a WR in a tight ends body. He's a little better than Owens, but this game will highlight two of the best TEs in the game.

Running game?? hahahahaha right. Zero running game this year for the Browns. Lewis had a fantastic game against the Bengals, had a good game two weeks ago with TDs, but has done little this year. Against the Texans I don't really see that changing this week.

Anderson has been fantastic this year for us... but he still gets careless at times and has horrible accuracy. Get pressure on him and he will make some bad throws. Though he is good out of the pocket.

Browns defense? Suspect at best. They have let many teams get back into games this year... Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens have all made big time comebacks on our defense. Our DL is the WORST part of our defense. Only way we get pressure on Matt is if we blitz. Our Linebackers were really good last year, but have taken a step backwards this year. And we have no secondary. It should be a high scoring game.

I think this will be a very close game between two up and coming teams. The Browns have been better at home than on the road.

Weather in Cleveland should be in the 40s. Usually pretty windy this time of the year. But Matt is use to playing in the cold after going to Virginia. Should be a good game!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read