Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-18-2007   #1
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default America's Team?

Sport's writing legend (and authority on the HISTORY of the sport of boxing) Bert Sugar penned a book entitled "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys and Who Elected Them America's Team Anyway?" Sugar's book was a collection of essays by former NFL players.
The term "America's Team" was given to the Cowboys by Steve Sabol of NFL films in a piece that they did on them in the 1970s. Tex Shram (the GM at the time) took the title and ran with it.
I find the "America's Team" moniker odious. If they're truly "America's Team" then why is the trophy one receives after winner the Superbowl called the VINCE LOMBARDI and NOT the Tom Landry? I say we have an election and crown a NEW "America's Team".

Who would YOU guys ELECT America's Team? Which team embodies EVERYTHING positive that this country stands for? Are lengthy criminal backgronds, an arrogant swaggart, and rampant drug use what America's all about? I hardly think so. Someone give me your thoughts.

Last edited by Dread-Head; 11-18-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: America's Team?

i got no problem with the term for the Cowboys, they took it and ran with it, everyone bought it, kudos to them. and they probably do have more fans than any other team.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #3
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'd actually say the Colts.

Classy coaching, great work ethic all the way around and they have consistently improved virtually every aspect of their game throughout the past years.

Part of that though is I respect Tony Dungy from what I've heard of him.
Old 11-18-2007   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowboys still make more money and sell more merchandise than anyone. When they play away they have more fans there. There basically are Americas Team no matter what people say. Love or hate. They can't help it that they named that video after them. They were marketing studs to run with it.
Old 11-18-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

they can be America's Team. The Texans are the team of Texas.

If we're all going to grab names irregardless of the truth, lets grab one that matters.
Old 11-18-2007   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Frog hit it the nail on the head

NFL films coined them the phrase

they are America's team because there is no in between. You love them to win or you love to see them get beat, either way America watches
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #7
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

New England Patriots.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2007   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post

Classy coaching, great work ethic all the way around and they have consistently improved virtually every aspect of their game throughout the past years.

I'll second that.
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #9
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

They can have America, I'll stick with Texas' team.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #10
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 24388 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
The Cowboys still make more money and sell more merchandise than anyone. When they play away they have more fans there. There basically are Americas Team no matter what people say. Love or hate. They can't help it that they named that video after them. They were marketing studs to run with it.
Co-sign
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #11
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post

I was watching something on one of the Jesus channels (I can't remember which) and They were doing an interview with Dungy. I had NO IDEA that the man was as active in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes as he was. He prays before every game and puts God into all aspects of his life. He said that his faith in the Almighty is what carried him through when his son committed suicide. I like the guy, he's a class act. Besides as a Pittsburgh Steeler playing corner/special teams he helped HUMILIATE the Cowgirls in one of their superbowl losses. HA HA HAAAAAAA! Peanutbutterjelly..... withabaseballbat.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 11-19-2007   #12
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
New England Patriots.

I think you have a case. I don't like the Patriots OR Tom Brady...but I have to be honest. I hear "Patriots" I'm getting a mental picture of the brave men who were outnumbered at Lexington & Concorde and fought a better trained and equipted British Army to give birth to this country.
For some reason NOW when someone mentions "Cowboy" I think BROKEBACK MOUNTIN' (Mountain). The Patriots' colors are red white and blue. The Cowgirls colors are blue and that Faaaaaaaabulous metalic silver! Hmmm. Which of these teams would I RATHER have represent America? That's a toughie...for the mentally challenged.

"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 11-19-2007   #13
BwareofDWare
Rookie

I feel that the Cowboys will always be America's Team. Thats just are nick name. Dallas the most valuable sports franchise in the world. And I think that would be like any MLB team calling themselfs the "The Bombers". And the nickname was given to the Cowboys due to having a large number of fans outside its immediate local area. And it still hold true.
BwareofDWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #14
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
I think you have a case. I don't like the Patriots OR Tom Brady...but I have to be honest. I hear "Patriots" I'm getting a mental picture of the brave men who were outnumbered at Lexington & Concorde and fought a better trained and equipted British Army to give birth to this country.
For some reason NOW when someone mentions "Cowboy" I think BROKEBACK MOUNTIN' (Mountain). The Patriots' colors are red white and blue. The Cowgirls colors are blue and that Faaaaaaaabulous metalic silver! Hmmm. Which of these teams would I RATHER have represent America? That's a toughie...for the mentally challenged.

How can you watch this video and not think brokeback?? Please do not nominate Brady and Belichick as the new America's team. As much as I hate the Cowboys, this would be worse.

I'm with Jerek on this one - Indy
Old 11-19-2007   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
How can you watch this video and not think brokeback?? Please do not nominate Brady and Belichick as the new America's team. As much as I hate the Cowboys, this would be worse.

I'm with Jerek on this one - Indy
He's a perty boy, that one......

Old 11-19-2007   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
they can be America's Team. The Texans are the team of Texas.
If we're all going to grab names irregardless of the truth, lets grab one that matters.
As much as I love the Texans, I find this optimism funny
Old 11-19-2007   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
Sport's writing legend (and authority on the HISTORY of the sport of boxing) Bert Sugar penned a book entitled "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys and Who Elected Them America's Team Anyway?" Sugar's book was a collection of essays by former NFL players.
The term "America's Team" was given to the Cowboys by Steve Sabol of NFL films in a piece that they did on them in the 1970s. Tex Shram (the GM at the time) took the title and ran with it.
I find the "America's Team" moniker odious. If they're truly "America's Team" then why is the trophy one receives after winner the Superbowl called the VINCE LOMBARDI and NOT the Tom Landry? I say we have an election and crown a NEW "America's Team".

Who would YOU guys ELECT America's Team? Which team embodies EVERYTHING positive that this country stands for? Are lengthy criminal backgronds, an arrogant swaggart, and rampant drug use what America's all about? I hardly think so. Someone give me your thoughts.

Tex was a master at marketing and if I remember right that was way back in the day of Roger....I rarely see or hear the nickname tossed around anymore.

Funny how nobody ever complains about Tex's other marketing idea that is still in vogue...that would be the current NFL cheerleading squads. Dallas was the first to uh jazz up the costumes a bit.

I've always found these teams to have tremendous backing. Home or away.

Pack
Cowboys
Steelers
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #18
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

They were America's ''Most Wanted'' Team in the 90's.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Tex was a master at marketing and if I remember right that was way back in the day of Roger....I rarely see or hear the nickname tossed around anymore.

Funny how nobody ever complains about Tex's other marketing idea that is still in vogue...that would be the current NFL cheerleading squads. Dallas was the first to uh jazz up the costumes a bit.

I've always found these teams to have tremendous backing. Home or away.

Pack
Cowboys
Steelers
Exactly. Did you guys ever see the games in Arizona...it was a home game. It is like that in alot of stadiums....many Dallas fans. I just think that many of the teams with the best followings are the ones with the most consistent histories....the ones you named. The Pats are new money right now.
Old 11-19-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
They were America's ''Most Wanted'' Team in the 90's.
Nicely done!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read