Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-18-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Review of the Saints game

Well I just got done watching the game. On offense there's no question Johnson makes a difference. We knew that though. I thought our game plan was just better overall today. On defense we were better, but we were also fortunate. Its obvious that Bennett is ready to start. He will make mistakes, that's what rookies do. Let him learn but I want him out there every play he's able to go. Oh that guy Williams. He played a hell of a game.

Secondary B+

Keep in mind though, The Saints' secondary is almost as bad as ours. Oh, and our secondary is still pretty bad. I think today though was addition by subtraction. Faggins didn't very much and we looked a lot better. I hate to pick on the guy, but he's just not that good. He's a nickel back at best. I've seen the coverage described as blanketing, but the Saints' receivers didn't seem focused today. I counted 6 drops. We had several breakups as well but what i'm talking about weren't breakups those were drops. Of course you're going to get a few of those but they were mistakes. Our safeties did look better today.

And of course we got more pressure. We were a little more creative and I don't know why MW isn't lining up on the left side. He seemed quicker when pushing off going right rather than left. I saw a few stunts as well.

LB A

This was our best performance that we've gotten out of the LBs all year. Not since Sharpier and Foreman were back there have we gotten play like that of our LBs. Of course a lot of that stems from Bushes in ability to run the ball up the middle and the quick persuit when he tried to go outside. The DEs really helped our LBs out today. Greenwood's INT was a result of Clark getting in there (I swear he hit Brees' ankle as he was throwing that ball). We had some nice open field tackles as well. For the first time all year, our LB's looked like they were playing at the same speed as everyone else. That of course dosn't apply to DR who is looking better and better every year.

RB (not including itchy's fumble) B

Lets not forget the Saint's DL was very banged up. We ran the ball effectively (over 3 yards with very few TFL) so you can't fault them there. All we need to do in this offense is run enough to keep them honest. Oh and you can knock (and I can't stand watching Dayne run the ball most games) Dayne all you want, but that guy is key in the passing game. He rarely misses a blitz pickup. That doesn't get talked about enough on this board. I'm just as guilty but he did a great job today.

OL B+

Much better job. Granted it was against a banged up DL.. it was still impressive. There weren't big holes but we weren't getting blown up off the ball. I also think that other teams have to respect Johnson and aren't able to just send the dogs. Your CBs have to play up because the ability to gain yardage off of that quick out and wr screen demand the CB not be able to hang down 5 or 6 yards.

QB A-

I have been Schaub's biggest critic this year. I've knocked him for his accuracy. Today, with the exception of the throw to Davis on the sideline (what happened on that I have no idea. Either it was a horrible throw, Davis didn't see it or Davis forgot to cut) he gave his receivers a chance to run after the catch. That is so key in the passing game. Especially later when the Saint's started playing more cover two. He also didn't make his customary "I'm going to play Bret Farve and throw the ball in a place I shouldn't" throws. I think the key today was giving him time.

WR A-

Other than Davis' snaffu they played a great game today. Davis is a great compliment. AJ is amazing. Walters is clutch and I'll go ahead and lump OD in here and say he's going to a probowl or two before his career is done.

DL A+

I'm not talking about the sack. I'm not talking about the pressure. You wanna shut this offense down, keep RB in check. We blew up several screens. That has been our weakness. We were excellent today. MW and TJ and Maddox and Sconia (sp?) were keys from letting Get out on the screen. Does anybody remember how bad we've been against the screen this year? Okoye is quietly putting together a nice year. He doesn't miss tackles and he occupies blockers. Is there anything else you can ask from a 20 year old?

Special teams. C+

We didn't do anything spectacular but at the same time we didn't screw anything up. KB is starting to make kicks again. Lets ride that wave.

Coaching A+

We were well prepared for that game. As you should be after a bye week. Defensively that was by far the best plan we've had. We didn't bite on the screen. I could only count two or 3 blown coverages (fortunately they were dropped or were badly thrown other than the TD) I liked the clock management we had today.

Overall this was probably the second or 3rd overall A we have earned this year. From the word go we won this game. We didn't make mistakes (fumble not withstanding) and we took advantage theirs. This is a young team though and its nice to see some of the developments we need.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #2
primadox
GEAUX TIGERS!!

Send a message via Yahoo to primadox
Default Re: Review of the Saints game

Saints fan here, and that is a great analysis of the game. Remember too, the Saints were missing their all-Pro OL Jammal Brown...that did not help our running game one bit. And I would fault Kubiak on one thing...I would have ditched the entire offensive gameplan in favor of throwing at Jason David all day...you would have won by 100 points...your secondary is bad; ours is worse. I like McKenzie, but with David on the other side, McKenzie won't get thrown at much. When Shaub went to that side today, McKenzie made the plays. David, on the other hand, made it easy for Andre Johnson (who doesn't need help anyway). Add in an injured DL, as you said, and we were ineffective against any kind of pass rush. We should have matched up with our own passing game vs. the Texans secondary better than we did, but drops drops drops killed us.

Again, good game. Glad to see Shaub and Andre back in form...but couldn't they have waited one more week???

(at least I started Andre Johnson on my ff teams....I'm not stupid )
Old 11-18-2007   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
QB A-

I have been Schaub's biggest critic this year. I've knocked him for his accuracy. Today, with the exception of the throw to Davis on the sideline (what happened on that I have no idea. Either it was a horrible throw, Davis didn't see it or Davis forgot to cut) he gave his receivers a chance to run after the catch. That is so key in the passing game. Especially later when the Saint's started playing more cover two. He also didn't make his customary "I'm going to play Bret Farve and throw the ball in a place I shouldn't" throws. I think the key today was giving him time.

WR A-

Other than Davis' snaffu they played a great game today. Davis is a great compliment. AJ is amazing. Walters is clutch and I'll go ahead and lump OD in here and say he's going to a probowl or two before his career is done.

Kubiak said in his post game quotes that Davis lost the ball in the lights.
Old 11-18-2007   #4
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Where do you find the quotes. I don't get much coverage out here and always forget to watch the comments on sunday ticket.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #5
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

In the good mood I'm in, I'd like to give the d-line a little bit of the credit for a couple of those drops. It seemed Brees was having to get rid of it a bit quicker than he wanted and was a little off target.

How freaking good was DeMeco in pass coverage?

And I'm so ecstatic about Mario's performance, I have to restrain myself from typing something inappropriate. Must be at least have a dozen plays he blew up.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #6
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3924

(on the second quarter pass to WR André Davis) “He lost the ball. He just lost it in the lights. We were actually tied into another route and told (QB) Matt (Schaub) that if you get what you want with André, put it up, and he did, and André just looked back and just lost the ball. It’s unfortunate. The good thing right now, we’ve got four guys right now that we could spread the football field and he (QB Matt Schaub) could go to any of them, and they’re capable of making big plays. That’s very positive for us as we move forward.”
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile Re: Review of the Saints game

Quote:
Originally Posted by primadox View Post
Saints fan here, and that is a great analysis of the game. Remember too, the Saints were missing their all-Pro OL Jammal Brown...that did not help our running game one bit. And I would fault Kubiak on one thing...I would have ditched the entire offensive gameplan in favor of throwing at Jason David all day...you would have won by 100 points...your secondary is bad; ours is worse. I like McKenzie, but with David on the other side, McKenzie won't get thrown at much. When Shaub went to that side today, McKenzie made the plays. David, on the other hand, made it easy for Andre Johnson (who doesn't need help anyway). Add in an injured DL, as you said, and we were ineffective against any kind of pass rush. We should have matched up with our own passing game vs. the Texans secondary better than we did, but drops drops drops killed us.

Again, good game. Glad to see Shaub and Andre back in form...but couldn't they have waited one more week???

(at least I started Andre Johnson on my ff teams....I'm not stupid )
Thanks for the kind words. But you aren't allowed to bring up injuries. We have them all over the field... including 2 offensive linemen out for the year ourselves. 14 IR visits overall (leads league). Good luck the rest of the way.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read