Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-15-2007   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Oregon @ Arizona

Oregon getting clobbered. Dixon is out and they are focusing on Stewart. Arizona up 31-11, 2nd Q. Looks lke Oregon will be out of the Title picture.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #2
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oregon @ Arizona

Stewart's chance to show what he's got. See if he can carry a team.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I haven't been incredibly impressed by Stewart in this game. He has respectable stats and I know that Arizona is focused on him, but we are also seeing that he benefits greatly from having a dual threat QB and hasn't been nearly as effective with a more traditional QB alongside him.

If we are planning on drafting a RB in the 1st, I am sticking with Felix Jones. But I think we should draft another position.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #4
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I haven't been incredibly impressed by Stewart in this game. He has respectable stats and I know that Arizona is focused on him, but we are also seeing that he benefits greatly from having a dual threat QB and hasn't been nearly as effective with a more traditional QB alongside him.

If we are planning on drafting a RB in the 1st, I am sticking with Felix Jones. But I think we should draft another position.
Keep watching.He will break one.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Cason has played very well.
Old 11-15-2007   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Cason has been really impressive. He made himself some money tonight
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

another #2 falls. oh lawdy.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2007   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

BCS works like a charm
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Cason has played very well.
Cason was the most impressive player on the field last night, and showed why he will probably go in the first.

Stewart looked like he was lacking his usually burst. Makes me wonder if his succes is more due to the opposing D focusing on Dixon.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 11-16-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Stewart still had 131 yards on 28 carries with an entire defense keying on him.

When your QB is one of the Leaf brothers, you are not going to get a lot of help on offense.

Cason had 7 tackles, an INT that he returned for a 42 yd TD, & a 56 yd punt return TD.

I've been high on him for 3 years now & he is proving that he can get it done.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Boy it sure started out like Oregon was going to trounce Arizona...but Arizona showed up to play. Once Dixon went down I think Arizona was like "holy cow...let's win this thing"

Stewart impressed me because I watched him closely each time he got the ball. There is no doubt that having Dixon in there really helps him though. What I saw from Stewart was:
1. A RB with great vision- he saw a LB fill in the hole and stopped on a dime cutting back out...I don't know how he saw that linebacker either.
2. BIG guy- he was constantly going forward and was hard to bring down. It was all him that picked up that 1st down in the 4th? that set up the TD for 1st and goal on the 2. He dragged players all night.
3. Strong player- not to be confused with big, he shrugged off a lot of defenders and pushed them back with his stiff arm
4. Fast- regardless of his size he showed his speed by waiting for the cut and accelerating. he got around the corner fast and out ran a lot of their defenders.

Cason had a great game. He fell down on the first INT that the Oregon player should have scored, but his teamate got the deflection. When Cason fell down and the wide open WR should have had the TD I was thinking, yikes a stud corner wouldn't do that. He proved me wrong the restof the game.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Cason was the most impressive player on the fireld last night, and showed why he will probably go in the first.
Easily the most impressive player on the field. The guy has great ball skills. He isn't blazing fast but he has some damn good balance on the football field.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Arizona was opportunistic (Dixon down/early turnovers) & Stoops did his best Zook impersonation

Dixon probably is done for the season (torn acl?) or at least has a similar knee condition to what Andre Johnson experinced. one things for sure Oregons season is finished with Leaf @ QB.

my question would be does this enhance Jonathan Stewarts decision to stay in school or enter the NFL draft process?

his performance, regardless the outcome, did not change my opinion of his future in the league
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
another #2 falls. oh lawdy.
So is this the Avis season. #2 can't get over the hump ?

Beerlover, I think Stewart is a fine back and would fit here. I have no problem with him tallent wise I hope you understand that. Just think the phylosiphy is a bit backwards is all. But they take the guy I'm on board. He fits what this HC does.
Old 11-16-2007   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Arizona was opportunistic (Dixon down/early turnovers) & Stoops did his best Zook impersonation

Dixon probably is done for the season (torn acl?) or at least has a similar knee condition to what Andre Johnson experinced. one things for sure Oregons season is finished with Leaf @ QB.

my question would be does this enhance Jonathan Stewarts decision to stay in school or enter the NFL draft process?

his performance, regardless the outcome, did not change my opinion of his future in the league
I dont think Stewart stays.

He would be in a spread offense with a new QB that has no experience. Every game would be like the one he just played.

Oregon's 3 QBs next year (2 FR & 1 SO) have attempted a combined total of 6 college passes.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I dont think Stewart stays.

He would be in a spread offense with a new QB that has no experience. Every game would be like the one he just played.

Oregon's 3 QBs next year (2 FR & 1 SO) have attempted a combined total of 6 college passes.
Agreed. He is never going to have the value that he will have this year. Charles has already come out and stated that he's going back....probably to slay the fumble dragon. But whatever, I'll be surprised if he truns down the pay day.He'd be taking the injury possiblity on and the Srs. of '08. For what purpose ? If does turn it down I hope he loads up on ins. if he comes back for his '08 eason. Might beleive they have a legitamate NC possiblity ? I don't think so.
Old 11-16-2007   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Agreed. He is never going to have the value that he will have this year. Charles has already come out and stated that he's going back....probably to slay the fumble dragon. But whatever, I'll be surprised if he truns dwon the pay day.He'd be taking the injury possiblity on and the Srs. of '08. for what purpose ? If does turn it down I hope he loads up on ins. if he comes back fo '08.
FWIW (probably nothing) In my NCAA 08 dynasty with Texas, Charles had a similiar year to this year in the game and I convinced him to stay. The next year I ran him for crazy yardage and he won the Doak Walker Award above many of those great Srs of '08. IM JUST SAYIN'.
Old 11-16-2007   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
FWIW (probably nothing) In my NCAA 08 dynasty with Texas, Charles had a similiar year to this year in the game and I convinced him to stay. The next year I ran him for crazy yardage and he won the Doak Walker Award above many of those great Srs of '08. IM JUST SAYIN'.
Make your case . What more does Stewart have left to prove ? He's proven he's a front line thirty carry a game RB tallent for the NFL. Can't believe he'd recieve more attention than he has this season ? All going back will do is cost this guy money. The brass ring is there. All he has to do is grab it. He'll come out. Twenty million is twenty milliopn in anyones bank account.
Old 11-16-2007   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed with Stewart coming out. You stay in for 1 more year for 4 reasons.

1. Earn your degree
2. Shot at National Title/Conference Champs, etc
3. Develop more as a player/strengthen your weaknesses
4. Help your draft status thus earning more money.

or a combination of the above.

as far as Stewart goes...

1. I'm have no idea if this would be a huge deal for him.
2. Dixon leaving? Leaf in? I don't think Oregon is as good + their defense isn't that good.
3. Possibility but he doesn't need a full college season...training camp in the NFL should do fine.
4. right now he's pretty much a first round lock. Combine, try outs, etc. should probably help him. He's built well for the NFL..scouts will like him. I don't think staying his senior year would raise his draft stock any.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Make your case . What more does Stewart have left to prove ? He's proven he's a front line thirty carry a game RB tallent for the NFL. Can't believe he'd recieve more attention than he has this season ? All going back will do is cost this guy money. The brass ring is there. All he has to do is grab it. He'll come out. Twenty million is twenty milliopn in anyones bank account.
I thought you were talking about Jamaal Charles, sorry.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read