Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-14-2007   #1
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The official "Start Dilfer" thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=3110640

Smith admitted Wednesday that his recently separated right shoulder and a chronically strained forearm have contributed to his awful play in the past three games of the 49ers' seven-game losing streak.

"Without a doubt, I'm not throwing the same way I was the first three weeks, and last year," Smith said before sitting out part of practice to rest his forearm. "Trying to play through this is hard. ... I chose to go out there and play, thought I could, thought it would get better as the weeks go on, and it hasn't."

The former No. 1 draft pick even wondered aloud whether he should take a prolonged break to get his shoulder back in shape, perhaps for 2008.

After watching him play on MNF, I'd agree. He probably needs to sit down for a while. I don't think its a talent thing, but at some point I would think that the niners would want to preserve that arm (and that psyche) for seasons going forward.

SF is what, 2-7 or something like that? Let Dilfer mange the offense and save your young QB.
Old 11-14-2007   #2
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: The official "Start Dilfer" thread

I'm sure his arm plays some sort of a factor, but he is definitely copping out. He has been terrible in every single game that he has ever played. Unless he has been injured for his entire NFL career, then I think he is making excuses.

Dilfer should start, and Smith should be unemployed.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #3
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, Mike Nolan must read this board and think pretty highly of my opinion to make this change!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3112293

Trent Dilfer will start for the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday in place of quarterback Alex Smith, who finally acknowledged a serious arm injury has been affecting his play.
Old 11-15-2007   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith definitely wasnt helping himself by playing injured.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #5
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

An injured shoulder doesn't hurt pocket presence though I don't think.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007   #6
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I'm sure his arm plays some sort of a factor, but he is definitely copping out. He has been terrible in every single game that he has ever played. Unless he has been injured for his entire NFL career, then I think he is making excuses.

Dilfer should start, and Smith should be unemployed.
Obviously an extreme exaggeration but somewhat true. This season and his rookie year he had no good games, but last season he had a couple.

Personally, I still hold some hope for him. I'm not blaming him this year, or any other player on our offense for that matter, because we have an absolutely horrible OC. Smith hasn't gotten a fair shake, so I'd keep him until at least next season, and draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round this draft and hope for a "Drew Brees affect".
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read