Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 11-14-2007   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default the roof on Sunday

I was thinking this might have been the first game of the season with the roof open, but with the 30% chance of rain, they'll probably keep it shut...again.

Old 11-14-2007   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: the roof on Sunday

do they make the decision on game day?
Old 11-14-2007   #3
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
do they make the decision on game day?
check it out at http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3889.

Right now, they plan to have it open. But, that could change.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #4
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

At one of the games last year, can't remember which one, it was 78 degrees outside. Absolutely georgous day, sunny, light breeze, a wonderful day to tailgate. It turned out to be about 110 degrees in the NEZ! No breeze, sun blasting down, bouncing off all the dark seats, and I thought I would fry! Could not put my hand on the back of my seat it was so hot. SOOOOOOO, I am praying my butt off they close the roof. Bring on the rain!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

is there one person dedicated to monitoring and moving my posts, or is it a collaborative effort?

I did think about putting it in Tailgate, but I assumed (incorrectly) that it has a great deal to do with the game and team.
Old 11-15-2007   #6
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Open, I hope. I wish they would tear the roof off the stadium
Old 11-15-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Open, I hope. I wish they would tear the roof off the stadium
yeah, but then fans might get uncomfortable.

I chuckle at how soft Houston football fans have been all these years when looking at northern teams playing in the snow. There is little doubt why domed teams rarely win the big one.
Old 11-15-2007   #8
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yeah, but then fans might get uncomfortable.

I chuckle at how soft Houston football fans have been all these years when looking at northern teams playing in the snow. There is little doubt why domed teams rarely win the big one.
You can dress for the cold, but it is hard to undress enough for the heat. I sure wouldn't want to be on the field playing football at noon in Sept. in Houston.

I've always felt the roof was more a concession to the heat than the cold.
Old 11-15-2007   #9
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rain or not this sundays game should have the roof open!!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #10
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
You can dress for the cold, but it is hard to undress enough for the heat. I sure wouldn't want to be on the field playing football at noon in Sept. in Houston.

Don't waste your breath my friend!! Some of these guys will never be convienced it is a safty issue. I would rather see a good hard fought game in a domed stadium than see our boys have to suck in oxygen and be so depleted of K they have to have IV's stuck in their arms. Years ago I would have agreed with the outdoor concept, but, this is high dollar entertainment now, with high dollar players. Why not be "comfortable?" Also, Reliant is not an open venue when the roof is open. There is no air flow in the lower section or on the field. SOOOO, therefore NO air conditioning vents!! The sun beating off those blue seats can shoot the temp to record highs in a heartbeat. I could sit in temps with record LOWs without thinking twice simply because I can protect myself. Not so with the heat. You have one option when it gets that hot, and that is to leave or be taken out on a stretcher. JMO!!
Old 11-15-2007   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I agree with the concession to heat. I felt the games last year in December should have had the roof open, but please - keep that sucker closed until November. Anyone who sits in the north end zone knows the hell those seats become. I'll bundle up and yell in freezing temps, but Houston heat is too much with no circulation. The difference between the NEZ and everywhere else is so pronounced, it's ridiculous.
Old 11-15-2007   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I agree with the concession to heat. I felt the games last year in December should have had the roof open, but please - keep that sucker closed until November. Anyone who sits in the north end zone knows the hell those seats become. I'll bundle up and yell in freezing temps, but Houston heat is too much with no circulation. The difference between the NEZ and everywhere else is so pronounced, it's ridiculous.
True that.

If it is no cloud in the sky sunny, it is harsh with the no air flow thing.
Old 11-15-2007   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Don't waste your breath my friend!! Some of these guys will never be convienced it is a safty issue. I would rather see a good hard fought game in a domed stadium than see our boys have to suck in oxygen and be so depleted of K they have to have IV's stuck in their arms. Years ago I would have agreed with the outdoor concept, but, this is high dollar entertainment now, with high dollar players. Why not be "comfortable?" Also, Reliant is not an open venue when the roof is open. There is no air flow in the lower section or on the field. SOOOO, therefore NO air conditioning vents!! The sun beating off those blue seats can shoot the temp to record highs in a heartbeat. I could sit in temps with record LOWs without thinking twice simply because I can protect myself. Not so with the heat. You have one option when it gets that hot, and that is to leave or be taken out on a stretcher. JMO!!
I don't disagree with either of these takes, especially in light of the fact that Reliant was not built to be a truly open air stadium. It's basically got a sun roof for visual appeal.

My comment was more about the attitude of Houston alway having a dome-type stadium (which Reliant has for the Houston Rodeo). As such, it would be dumb to leave it open with absolutely no air flow and maximum sun. It was never intended to take advantage of natural air flow and wind.

I think an open stadium would have worked in Houston, though. I don't think the heat would be a problem if the stadium was designed for it. But corporate interests rule, so that's that. And retractable roofs are obviously the new trend in the NFL now, especially for cities trying to land the Super Bowl.

p.s. my "soft Houston football fans" comment was just pushing buttons, so absolutely no offense intended.
Old 11-15-2007   #14
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The only and I say only reason we have a roof is HLSR. But without them we would have half the stadium we have which is the best in the NFL
Old 11-15-2007   #15
Dean 74
Rookie

c'mon guys,
remember when we had that appointment for our seat selection?
the sun travels from east to west. at around noon during football season, the sun shines in about the same place. open the roof! if you dont like your seats, you should have thought about that whan you picked them out.
Dean 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean 74 View Post
c'mon guys,
remember when we had that appointment for our seat selection?
the sun travels from east to west. at around noon during football season, the sun shines in about the same place. open the roof! if you dont like your seats, you should have thought about that whan you picked them out.
Riiiight. That's why the NORTH end zone has more problems than anywhere else, I get it. And those of us who only got on the waiting list for the first year and got tickets in Year Two really got to select our seats, right? Give me a break.
Old 11-15-2007   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they open the roof. But that's me being selfish since my nosebleed seats don't get affected by the sun...heh

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #18
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Actually I perfer an open venue stadium. I agree with the idea that football is an outdoor sport and should be played in all kinds of weather. BUT, the designers of Reliant made that an exception. It's pretty obvious all 70,000 fans can't have seats on the shaddy side.

If I was younger and still had the legs, T and A that I had when I was 20-30, I would put on a pair of butt huggin cut offs, a braless tank top, and fit right in with the younger generation at Reliant. Unfortunatly, those days are long gone!!!
Old 11-16-2007   #19
Dean 74
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Riiiight. That's why the NORTH end zone has more problems than anywhere else, I get it. And those of us who only got on the waiting list for the first year and got tickets in Year Two really got to select our seats, right? Give me a break.
define "problems". should have gotten on board sooner. your avatar might suggest self sufficiency (sp?)
Dean 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #20
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I'll be there to watch a football game, not whether there's a roof or not.

Of course I've got a baaaad feeling that the roof might be more exciting this week.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read