Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-14-2007   #1
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Reinstates Ricky Williams

Quote:
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has decided to reinstate Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams after a suspension that lasted 18 months because of Williams' violation of the league's substance abuse policy, sources told ESPN.
ESPN

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Reinstates Ricky Williams

I guess the Dolphins have his rights still? If he could stay away from the wacky tobaccy, he will be a good pick for someone.
Old 11-14-2007   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

not sure how effective he'll be at this point. he's getting up there in age and hasn't played in a bit.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
not sure how effective he'll be at this point. he's getting up there in age and hasn't played in a bit.
Yeah, but his age isn't a huge issue cause he hasn't played much. I would think that the bigger issues would be desire and if he is anywhere near game shape.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #5
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think it might take most of the remaining season for Ricky to get into the kind of shape he needs to be in to contribute on the field. Running on a treadmill is not the same as stepping onto the field and running hard, taking hits, and getting knocked down, play after play.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #6
austintexanite
All Pro

If Ricky kept himself in shape, then I think he can still help out their running game. His age is definitely a concern, but can also help him since he has not had a lot of phyical contact as compared to others his age.
Old 11-14-2007   #7
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see someone giving him a look at the Vet minimum with a conduct clause attached but other than that I can't see a lot of teams trying to jump on him especially if the Fins have first rights and if any team would owe them to pick him up.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2007   #8
MeLoveTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 1781 MeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

whoever picks him up can probably pay him by the ounce
MeLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #9
MarioWrecksIt

Default Ricky Williams In a Texans Uniform??

I know this has been discussed before but Ricky will apparently be reinstated and able to play by week 12 (which is when Ahman will have his next knee problem assuming he plays this week) and if the Dolphins decide to cut him what would yall think of him returning to Texas??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3109760
Old 11-14-2007   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ricky Williams In a Texans Uniform??

nononoonononononono
Old 11-14-2007   #11
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLoveTexans View Post
whoever picks him up can probably pay him by the ounce
That would be atrocious... pay him in Golden Seal so that he at least has a chance to stay on your roster through seasons end.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

He's smoked the evil weed. We can't be having that kind on our team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep seeing talk about his age but the man has "played" in only 6 seasons and saw what I'd characterize as "heavy use" in only two of them (and I doubt he gets many miles put on him during the remainder of this year).

The guy has never been considered injury prone and he's going to be 31 years old if and when he starts play next season. The only problem with Ricky is the obvious one. He's got issues and is liable to light up and leave you in the lurch.
Old 11-14-2007   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for it and I'd like to see the Texans do something they rarely if ever do. I'd like to see them do something smart for a change.

If I'm making the call in a scenario where I can sign Ricky Williams I do it and then I get in front of a camera and with a perfectly straight face I say that I'm bringing Ricky "Home" to Texas where he can put his life and his career back together. I talk about his great career at UT and I talk about how the Texans are going to give this man a chance. Doesn't everybody deserve a chance to undo a mistake or to correct their course in life? Certainly the Houston Texans are known for bringing in only players of exceptional character (I almost said "high character" but caught myself) but now you're going to see the Texans do more than that. You're going to see the Texans get involved in helping this man while he helps us. In the past the team has made mistakes with personnel from time to time but this isn't one of them. This allows Ricky Williams a chance to bring his career to a close on a high note in the state he began it while giving the Texans a legitimate running back at a reasonable cost while doing a truly good and Christian (Rick Smith pauses to wipe the tear from his eye) act to help a man who needs a hand up.

Then I'd get in my car with a UT cap subtley placed in view on the back dash and drive off.
Old 11-14-2007   #15
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1858 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty sure he isn't in game shape. Hell, he probably isn't even in good shape.
Old 11-14-2007   #16
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

wasn't he playing CFL? If I remember correctly he was doing really well in that.
Old 11-14-2007   #17
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm all for it and I'd like to see the Texans do something they rarely if ever do. I'd like to see them do something smart for a change.

If I'm making the call in a scenario where I can sign Ricky Williams I do it and then I get in front of a camera and with a perfectly straight face I say that I'm bringing Ricky "Home" to Texas where he can put his life and his career back together. I talk about his great career at UT and I talk about how the Texans are going to give this man a chance. Doesn't everybody deserve a chance to undo a mistake or to correct their course in life? Certainly the Houston Texans are known for bringing in only players of exceptional character (I almost said "high character" but caught myself) but now you're going to see the Texans do more than that. You're going to see the Texans get involved in helping this man while he helps us. In the past the team has made mistakes with personnel from time to time but this isn't one of them. This allows Ricky Williams a chance to bring his career to a close on a high note in the state he began it while giving the Texans a legitimate running back at a reasonable cost while doing a truly good and Christian (Rick Smith pauses to wipe the tear from his eye) act to help a man who needs a hand up.

Then I'd get in my car with a UT cap subtley placed in view on the back dash and drive off.
*stands and applauds*
Old 11-14-2007   #18
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
wasn't he playing CFL? If I remember correctly he was doing really well in that.
he was going alright till he broke his arm....
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #19
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

A made for TV announcement - I can just see McClain now. I'm with you - I think, if he is in any kind of shape at all - we take him. Goodness knows it would help.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #20
ChildressTitanMan
Veteran

Rep Power: 315 ChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't take a chance on him.

I read that he only played in the CFL because he was practically broke. He didn't exactly 'light it up' over there.

It would be great for him to prove the doubters wrong but IMO he's only going to be going through the motions as a RB to get a pay check.
ChildressTitanMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read