Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2007   #1
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Anyone Care to Re-visit the Babin-for-Boulware Trade?

Thinking of Morency/Gado got me thinking about Rick's Smith's latest player-for-player trade.

How's that working out for us?

I understand that the Texans were short-handed at safety. And they were a little stacked at the tweener DE/OLB position.

However, and I believe this held true for the Morency/Gado trade as well - that you aren't going to get more help out of a guy who wasn't in training camp with you. So why trade the guy who was? I think this has been especially noticeable with Boulware, who has rarely showed his face outside of special teams.

However, I concede that it's quite possible that Babin could have spent a great number of game days inactive, a la Shantee Orr. So he could have just been wasting a roster spot.

Thoughts? My TV is on the fritz and my new one is too heavy for me to take out of the box, so I need some entertainment this evening.
Old 11-13-2007   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone Care to Re-visit the Babin-for-Boulware Trade?

I believe the trade was a wash and I don't think babin has done much in Seattle... so, meh.

But for what it's worth, I think Babin would have produced more here than boulware has.

Last edited by Allstar; 11-13-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Thinking of Morency/Gado got me thinking about Rick's Smith's latest player-for-player trade.

How's that working out for us?

I understand that the Texans were short-handed at safety. And they were a little stacked at the tweener DE/OLB position.

However, and I believe this held true for the Morency/Gado trade as well - that you aren't going to get more help out of a guy who wasn't in training camp with you. So why trade the guy who was? I think this has been especially noticeable with Boulware, who has rarely showed his face outside of special teams.

However, I concede that it's quite possible that Babin could have spent a great number of game days inactive, a la Shantee Orr. So he could have just been wasting a roster spot.

Thoughts? My TV is on the fritz and my new one is too heavy for me to take out of the box, so I need some entertainment this evening.
I dont think Babin has played for the Hawks yet

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #4
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

So if Babin hasn't contributed for the Seahawks and Boulware hasn't contributed for the Texans, it seems like it was a negative trade for both teams.
Old 11-13-2007   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
So if Babin hasn't contributed for the Seahawks and Boulware hasn't contributed for the Texans, it seems like it was a negative trade for both teams.
Except for the fact that Boulware has contributed to the Texans.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Boulware has seen the field in all 9 games this year & has 5 tackles.
http://www.nfl.com/players/michaelbo...s?id=BOU338982

Babin has only played in 2 games (both blowouts) this year & hasnt recorded any stats.
http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonbabi...s?id=BAB714004
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #7
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I assume you are referring to special teams play. He did cause a fumble early on on a kick return I believe. It also seems that when good things happen on ST, he's usually right there. So, yeah, I would agree Boulware has contributed. (except against the Colts)
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2007   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Boulware also blocked an XP or a FG I think.
Old 11-13-2007   #9
Tulip
Hall of Fame

So at this point last year, Babin's stats for the Texans were better than they are this year for the Seahawks and Boulware's were better for the Seahawks than they are this year for the Texans.

I'm thinking that training camp is a good thing.
Old 11-13-2007   #10
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Babin hasn't produced a whole lot in Seattle. With that said, watching Dallas Clark abuse Boulware just about sums it up for me. I would have kept Babin.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Tulip just wondering what the point of all of this is. The Guy wasn't kevin Green, was never going to be Kevin Green and we don't run the 3-4 anymore. The guy had hit his ceiling. What we spent to get him, that there thingy was a bust. The sooner he was out the door the sooner the team could lick it's wounds. the fact that we got anything at all for him was a positive for me.
Old 11-14-2007   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

we lost so far.. anyone who says 'oh neither has produced so its a draw' is kidding themselves.. babin would be contributing alot more to us than boulware is
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
we lost so far.. anyone who says 'oh neither has produced so its a draw' is kidding themselves.. babin would be contributing alot more to us than boulware is
How would Babin have contributed?

He was likely to see the field about as much as Shantee Orr has, and that hasn't been enough to do much. He isn't seeing the field in Seattle, a team who runs a system more suited to his playing style and a team that stil needs D-line help.

I'll just add Babin to the overrated former Texans list, he can keep Morency company on it.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
How would Babin have contributed?

He was likely to see the field about as much as Shantee Orr has, and that hasn't been enough to do much. He isn't seeing the field in Seattle, a team who runs a system more suited to his playing style and a team that stil needs D-line help.

I'll just add Babin to the overrated former Texans list, he can keep Morency company on it.
because hes a much better de than orr so he
1) would see the field more
2) would be making more impact than orr

he isnt seeing the field in seattle because tapp is a very good pass rusher.. stay in denial if you want but we lost on both the babin and morency trades
Old 11-14-2007   #15
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

he isnt seeing the field in seattle because tapp is a very good pass rusher.. stay in denial if you want but we lost on both the babin and morency trades
So you think Babin would see the field more over Mario Williams, Anthony Weaver, ND Kalu, or Earl Cochran? Sorry as a 4-3 DE Babin would not beat out any of those four. Just like he cannot crack the line-up in Seattle.

As for the Morency trade, we traded a scrub for a another scrub. Green Bay has been so impressed with Morency's play that they the went and traded a draft pick, soemthing that is more valuable then Gado or Morency, for Ryan Grant. Yup, Morency must sure be lighting it up in Green Bay. Atleast we didn't give up a draft pick to get Gado.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

the Texans lost on both draft picks, different regime, Kubiak/Smith are in still clean-up mode.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Babin hasn't produced a whole lot in Seattle. With that said, watching Dallas Clark abuse Boulware just about sums it up for me. I would have kept Babin.
Clark abuses lots of safeties, you shouldn't hold that against him.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin was traded so that we could shore up a snake-bitten FS position. If you guys remember, Glenn Earl and Jason Simmons both hurt themselves (Season-ending too, if I remember right) in pre-season. We had too many DE's at the time, and I believe that Jason Babin was just the odd man out.

Boulware has contributed some, but did get badly burned by Dallas Clark. Jason Babin hasn't made it onto the field more than a handful of times. If that. He's just there to be insurance for Tapp going down. He was just a victim of a team needing to grab one position at the expense of another. If he had performed better in his time here, he probably wouldn't have had to worry about such a situation happening.

I see the trade as just a blip on the radar of this season, and I'm really just indifferent as the results haven't impacted anybody so far.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Boulware, I believe, was more than an attempt to plug a hole this year. I think they like him and see him as someone who can beat out Glenn Earl at SS. Babin was gone after this year, regardless. So, I'd say the can't be graded yet.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
So you think Babin would see the field more over Mario Williams, Anthony Weaver, ND Kalu, or Earl Cochran? Sorry as a 4-3 DE Babin would not beat out any of those four. Just like he cannot crack the line-up in Seattle.

yep just like he did last year.. and was playing even better this year.. and seattle just have better de's than us- pretty simple really

As for the Morency trade, we traded a scrub for a another scrub. Green Bay has been so impressed with Morency's play that they the went and traded a draft pick, soemthing that is more valuable then Gado or Morency, for Ryan Grant. Yup, Morency must sure be lighting it up in Green Bay. Atleast we didn't give up a draft pick to get Gado.
hey i never said morency was great but hes a good bit better than gado.. you cant hold the fact that GB got a pretty good rb in addition to him as a reason the trade was good for us...

anyway its not really worth arguing cos it seems you have it in your head the texans can do no wrong and have to justify that despite the reality.. thats alright but we did lose on both trades- were they huge franchise- changing loses? no but it still would be nice if we hadn't made them...

we've done ok on most of the big decisions so far, namely

mario V vince V reggie
schaub
amobi

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read