Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 11-13-2007   #1
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Former Texans FS Matt Stevens in Motorcycle Accident

Steve McKinney was talking about it on John and Lance's show this morning. Said it happened about a year ago, that Stevens is paralyzed, but that he is making progress in rehab.

I hadn't heard anything about it before today.
Old 11-13-2007   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former Texans FS Matt Stevens in Motorcycle Accident

Damn, that sucks.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Couldn't stand Stevens when he was playing for us but dang.. I never want to hear about things like this...

Thoughts and prayers to Matt and his family.
Old 11-13-2007   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

That's horrible. Hope he recovers.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #5
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!

Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected

This wasn't a year ago....

Filed under: BostonCeltics NBA NFL NewEnglandPatriots
Oct 27, 2007 12:51 AM | 358 views [report abuse]

NFL QUICK HITS

Patriots - Former safety Matt Stevens was paralyzed from the waist down in a motorcycle accident in Pennsylvania. Some current and former players visited him this past Monday. He played in 16 games over 2000 and 2001, starting 4.
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TageRyche/114189
Old 11-13-2007   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Steve McKinney was talking about it on John and Lance's show this morning. Said it happened about a year ago, that Stevens is paralyzed, but that he is making progress in rehab.

I hadn't heard anything about it before today.
link

Quote:
Prayers and best wishes go out to former Patriots safety Matt Stevens and his family. Stevens was left paralyzed from the waist down as a result of a motorcycle accident in Pennsylvania. Several current Patriots and former teammates paid Stevens a visit during their day off on Monday. Stevens started four games and saw action in 16 games during the '00 and '01 seasons.
I am really sorry to hear that.

I met him once at a Texans clinic. Very gracious guy with a really nice wife. He took responsibility for some of the stuff that happened on the field, but also explained that sometimes fans don't know what the coverages are suppose to be and who has what responsibility--that they tend to blame who is closest, even though it isn't that player's blown play.

I know he might be the all time whipping boy for the Houston Texans, but it ain't his fault that he wasn't better. The Texans have had a lot of placeholder players over the years, and that the Texans chose him to be a starter is not on him. Because his failures as a player never appeared to be a lack of effort.

He was a third round pick from Appalachian State who played in the NFL from 1996-2003. To make rosters for that long, he had to have something going for him.

I hope for the best for him and his family.
Old 11-13-2007   #7
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!

Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post Texan_Chick couldn't agree with you more!!!
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2007   #8
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

That really sucks. I met him at the splash carwash when he was living in Pearland a few years ago. I ragged on him for wearing Patriots' shorts and he took it gracefully. He asked where our seats were and seemed really happy to be down here. He was there with his daughter and seemed like a great father. After that I always tried to defend him for being a good guy.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #9
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 61470 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn!!! Thoughts and prayers for Matt. I had no idea this happened and I have a young daughter and can only imagine how much it would suck not to be able to be mobile enough to play and do the things I do with my daughter today! My worst fear is something happening to me like that while my daughter is still so young and needs me every day. Really hope he recovers!!!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
link

I am really sorry to hear that.

I met him once at a Texans clinic. Very gracious guy with a really nice wife. He took responsibility for some of the stuff that happened on the field, but also explained that sometimes fans don't know what the coverages are suppose to be and who has what responsibility--that they tend to blame who is closest, even though it isn't that player's blown play.

I know he might be the all time whipping boy for the Houston Texans, but it ain't his fault that he wasn't better. The Texans have had a lot of placeholder players over the years, and that the Texans chose him to be a starter is not on him. Because his failures as a player never appeared to be a lack of effort.

He was a third round pick from Appalachian State who played in the NFL from 1996-2003. To make rosters for that long, he had to have something going for him.

I hope for the best for him and his family.
Great post and analysis of Stevens TC. The guy really did seem to play as hard as he could but he just wasn't all that good. He screwed up a lot of plays, but the guy seemed to give his full effort. He just really sucked badly and seemed like one of those players where no amount of time and work ethic was going to make him a good player.

Prayers to him and his family.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How tragic, prayers for him and his family.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read