Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2007   #1
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The 3-4 Next Year?

So Smith has been toying with the 3-4 a little, playing Mario from more of an OLB position. On paper, the D-Line seems to be more of a 3-4 front with guys like TJ, AO, and Weaver being better fits at DE at that system.

Does anyone think they are making the transition to the 3-4 this year and will run it full time next year? Any thoughts?
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: The 3-4 Next Year?

You're assuming Smith is going to be here next season.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #3
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Could end up getting replaced by a 3-4 coach, you never know
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Just because Mario doesn't have his hand down doesn't make him into an OLB.
Old 11-13-2007   #5
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see that happening considering the personnel we have. We don't have a NT, we just drafted a 4-3 DE #1, Demeco is set at the Mike, TJ plays better in a 4-3, and we'll have 2 years already invested in the 4-3.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us throw out some different looks on defense, but switching back would be a surprise to me.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #6
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

NOOOOOOOOOO. I don't wanna swithc back!!!
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Many like Mario as an end in the 3-4, but this years top pick is clearly a
4-3 inside one-gapper and would not fit well in the 3-4, either at end or at
the nose. Same for TJ, but he's not Kubiaks boy like AO is.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2007   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ, Amobi, or Maddox in the middle of a 3-4? We would get crushed by draws up the middle. We would need a huge, Richard Seymour like space-eater.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #9
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need to find a speed rusher to put at RE and move Mario to his natural LE position and either cut Weaver or move him to the DT rotation. I think our Dline would look a lot better with a slight tweak.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #10
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I think we need to find a speed rusher to put at RE and move Mario to his natural LE position and either cut Weaver or move him to the DT rotation. I think our Dline would look a lot better with a slight tweak.
I think so too.....I don't see Mario being that speed rusher off the right side like a Freeney, but rather the strong side guy with the power. Maybe we could pick a speedy guy in the 4th or 5th round to get it done, who knows?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #11
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
TJ, Amobi, or Maddox in the middle of a 3-4? We would get crushed by draws up the middle. We would need a huge, Richard Seymour like space-eater.
Beat me to it. Rep your way.

I don't think it'll matter one way or the other. Until we get William Perry, Tony Ragoosa (sp?) type of player to take up space in the middle, we're going to get run on.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

no that would screw alot of things up. right now we need a RE, CB, FS and maybe a strongside lb to have a decent 4-3

wed need a NT, tweener olb's, mlb #2 (not to mention negating some of demeco's influence..see j vilma), cb, fs
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #13
austintexanite
All Pro

I wish I could have seen the Raider game to see how Mario looked outside, but I don't think we should go to the 3-4. Amobi has been incosistent, but has played well for a rookie and Travis is finally betting good. I think we do need another speed rusher, but we need some DB's and OL first.
Old 11-13-2007   #14
Ckw

I think we could do something similar to what the Cowgirls do. They run both because of Greg Ellis. Greg Ellis has the speed and size to play both DE and OLB. I'm not the most football savy person on here by a long shot, so am I right that they tend to run out of both formations? Personally, I think we have the tools to do both as well.
Old 11-13-2007   #15
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Exactly. I am almost certain that Smith will be unemployed come next season. In fact, I would wager that he'll be the first one hacked off the payroll.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #16
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
We already have that and use it on nickel packages using nd kalu or orr .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #17
BwareofDWare
Rookie

On a side note. I would like to see what Mario could do if we played OLB like a Greg Ellis or even a Jason Taylor type of role. I think he has the speed for it.
BwareofDWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Exactly. I am almost certain that Smith will be unemployed come next season. In fact, I would wager that he'll be the first one hacked off the payroll.
Well it's always easier to fire the one than the eleven. Untill I hear other wise, this co-ordinator is doing exactly what he is being told to do by this HC. Well the only reason I brought this up the other week is becaue they had two weeks to prepare for the Saints. They have one key guy. That key guy will get frustrated and spit the pill if you bottle him up and use the sidelines as a twelve man. For one game they could monkey around with things a bit.Run some sort of monster -wolf defnse with the extra SS. I mean we're kinda loaded with those guys. Especailly if we're going to run the DC off next off season. He ought to have one game to show case what he can do, shouldn't he ? They're just tring to shake Mario loose. Put this foot here , put that foot there. You'd think though after twenty-five games he'd have at least one move in the bag to beat a marginal NFL OLT ? Gotta be driving the coaches plumb crazy.
Old 11-16-2007   #19
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

We should bring back Dom Capers who is a 3-4 Genius
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read