Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2007   #41
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Is Reggie going to play?

I think Justice writes no better than a sixth grader
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #42
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
As to the subject of the title of this thread, I believe Reggie is expected to play.

As to subject matter of what most people have been talking about in this thread, here are my FanHouse thoughts on this:

Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young: Evaluating the Top of the 2006 Draft

Did anyone else catch Justice's blog comment that Williams has been playing no better than a sixth rounder?
good for Justice, because its true.

bottom line is that if he wasn't chosen #1 overall he would be fighting for playing time even on our DL. no doubt.

he doesn't get double teamed like most homers will blindly use as an excuse. tight ends have little to no trouble handling him by themselves. almost all of his sacks have been coverage sacks or where another player has collapsed the pocket and he is just johnny on the spot. then the guy acts like he actually made a play and does the 'shhhh' sign to the fans like he just somehow justified his outrageous salary v. lack of production.

As long as our coaching staff keeps labeling his average 'just a guy' production as 'exceptional', nothing will change in Mario. Lack of accountability, just like with David Carr. The inability to admit that you screwed up and make a change. Cochran has done a better job getting pressure on the QB than Mario during his limited time. Maybe its time to sit the guy down and make him earn playing time. Didn't we learn anything with the way this organization handled Carr? It seems they didn't.

If you think Mario has been exceptional, please go look at his stat line, look at our 3rd down defense ratio, look at our lack of sacks, our lack of hurries, and our lack of wins v. quality QBs. It's not all on Mario, but he isn't making people around him better which is what is expected for the money he is making, teh salary cap he is using, and the playing time he is getting.....then when you add the fact on the littany of quality players we passed on, it just makes things even look more pathetic.

I think Mario can be an effective player in a couple years, but I bet its with another team after we jettison him and his outrageous cap cost v. production. I think the only hope we have is getting Dorsey from LSU and putting him next to Mario and maybe Dorsey can teach Mario how a real man plays the Defensive Line. Mario Dorsey Okoye Weaver/Cochran/Maddox could be really nice....sadly the only way we get a shot at Dorsey is if the season tanks.
Old 11-14-2007   #43
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did anyone else catch Justice's blog comment that Williams has been playing no better than a sixth rounder?
I wonder if he would apply the same logic to his precious VY or Reggie Bush? Cause if he did, they would be getting 6th round grades as well. Somehow I doubt Justice would see it that way.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #44
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I wonder if he would apply the same logic to his precious VY or Reggie Bush? Cause if he did, they would be getting 6th round grades as well. Somehow I doubt Justice would see it that way.
VY would be getting low grades for his play this year, that is for sure. As for Bush, he gets a mid to late 1st Round grade easily. He isn't worth the money they are paying him and the pick they used but I doubt they would change the pick if they could. i doubt the Titans would either.....If the Texans wouldn't change their pick of Mario, they need a lobotomy. I guess that is my whole argument. Bush and VY have both shown why they were picked so high....not consistently but you see flashes of the talent. With Mario the flashes have been relatively non-existent and it was no different than when he was in college. He feasted on the crap teams and never did anything special against a good team. Just another non-competitive flatlining workout warrior as the #1 overall pick. Just like that embarassment called David Carr.
Old 11-14-2007   #45
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

bottom line is that if he wasn't chosen #1 overall he would be fighting for playing time even on our DL. no doubt.
He is playing over 90% of the defensive snaps according to Kubiak. That is a pretty high number for a defensive lineman.

You are saying that the Texans are playing him that much just because of what pick he was?

Which Texan would you rather have getting more playing time than Williams at the DE position?
Old 11-14-2007   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ummm, yeah doubt. Mario has been very good at holding his line or pushing it. There is a reason folks aren't running at him as much as away from him.

Quote:
he doesn't get double teamed like most homers will blindly use as an excuse.
Good lord, learn that there is something in between 100% and 0%. Mario is not constantly double teamed but he is double teamed considerably. It is beyond silly to claim he never gets double teamed.

Quote:
tight ends have little to no trouble handling him by themselves.
Sure they handle him--on three step drops.
Old 11-14-2007   #47
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Team's don't double team him out of fear but only when the play calls for it. Even scrubs will get doubleteamed every once in a while. OC aren't staying up at night gameplanning for Mario, lets put it that way. When teams draw up blocking schemes on plays, sometimes it calls for two men to go to the point of attack in order to better guarantee a hole to open up. Getting 'double teamed' on running plays is just football. How many times have you seen Mario get double teamed on a passing play? He gets the occasional helpful chip by the RB or TE as they go out on a screen pass, but generally there is no need. Mario just dances away like he is at his senior Prom. He also seems hesitant to stick his nose in there. Soft, just like the rest of the team and more importantly, the Head Coach.

As for his cost v. production, anyone knows that the Texans are on the losing end of that transaction. did anyone on the Texans look at Mario's stats in college where he would get all his numbers against basketball schools? or the fact that he wasn't even the best defensive lineman on his college football team (manny lawson won D MVP) or were they just enamored by his workout measurements and pre-draft signability?

I am not happy with Mario's production and play on the field. There, I said it. The organization seems like they are happy with his play. Good for them. I would give them the benefit of the doubt but this is the same braintrust that put their money on David Carr. I apologize for the lack of faith.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 11-14-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2007   #48
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Right, because Kubiak is "covering" for Mario when he has recently praised him as our most consitent defensive lineman. Kubiak has also been critical of Mario when he plays crappy so I'm not sure where your (unrealitic) expectations are. Seems to me that you're one of those fans who has already made up his mind on Mario Williams, no matter what he does (wait...add Gary Kubiak to that list). Fight on man, but you're being over-critical and unrealistic.
Old 11-14-2007   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Team's don't double team him out of fear but only when the play calls for it. Even scrubs will get doubleteamed every once in a while. OC aren't staying up at night gameplanning for Mario, lets put it that way.
Well I'll just trust the opposing coaches who have said they game plan for him rather than your clairvoyance. And yes there have been double teams on him on passing plays--that's not an excuse it is just reality. You can make your point that you think Mario is under performing without twisting the facts.
Old 11-14-2007   #50
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As to the subject of the title of this thread, I believe Reggie is expected to play.

As to subject matter of what most people have been talking about in this thread, here are my FanHouse thoughts on this:

Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young: Evaluating the Top of the 2006 Draft

No TC, I didn't read Justice's blog. Nor do I read any of his biased articles or blogs concerning Mario. I prefer instead to read the comments from the Head Coach, who has played and coached in the NFL for over 20 years, has 2 SB rings as an OC, and has watched and studied miles of film on Mario and the team. So, whether Kubiak's opinion of Mario is biased or not, I'll take what he says over anything that "hack" from the Chronicle says! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #51
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not happy with Mario's production and play on the field. There, I said it.
As am I, but it seems you're being blinded by your 'hater-esque' attitude towards Mario. You are so against that pick your making it sound like the guy is completely worthless and should be cut but he won't be b/c he's being paid so much. The majority of players drafted that high are all underperforming whether you compare them to their hype or to their contract. The Rookie salaries and guaranteed $ is sky high for the top picks-very few will actually earn their pay.

The fact is Mario is the best defensive end on our team. Whether he was drafted #1 overall or in the 7th round, he'd be on the field playing.

The beauty of the DL is that they work together as a unit. It's not a bunch of individuals trying to get to the QB. Great DL's are good because they work together. Hypothetical: Amobi penetrates up the middle forcing the QB to move left. Mario bull rushes the LT, the QB is pushed into his own player and falls. This is a combined effort on both players to get the sack. As is if Mario "over pursued" forcing the QB to step up in the pocket...our secondary actually is worth a crap forcing the QB to hold on the ball for 4 seconds instead of 3, and Amobi arm tackles the QB and brings him down.

Blindly watching this one would say Amobi is a beast (which he is) but the true sack came from the TEAM, Mario making the QB step up and the Secondary not allowing wide open wr's.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #52
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Mario is playing exeptionally well but I don't think he's been a complete bust either. Is he underperforming his contract, yes. Would the majority of other players drafted #1 be doing the same?...I'm going to guess and say yes.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #53
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool, so is Bush playing?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #54
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Cool, so is Bush playing?
Bush WILL face the hungry Texans on Sunday. He will be faced with the formidable task of trying to knock the chip off the shoulders of an entire team.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #55
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
No TC, I didn't read Justice's blog. Nor do I read any of his biased articles or blogs concerning Mario. I prefer instead to read the comments from the Head Coach, who has played and coached in the NFL for over 20 years, has 2 SB rings as an OC, and has watched and studied miles of film on Mario and the team. So, whether Kubiak's opinion of Mario is biased or not, I'll take what he says over anything that "hack" from the Chronicle says! JMHO!
Did you also take what Kubiak said about David Carr being the guy who can take us to the Super Bowl?

Also, being all of that you stated above, how is it that he can't manage the clock?
Old 11-15-2007   #56
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63719 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Bush WILL face the hungry Texans on Sunday. He will be faced with the formidable task of trying to knock the chip off the shoulders of an entire team.
I don't know - I bet there are some players that would like to have him lining up in a Texans uniform. I doubt they take the first pick "rivalry" (for lack of a better word) hype very seriously.
Old 11-15-2007   #57
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
New Orleans Saints RB Reggie Bush

(on if he and DE Mario Williams will be forever linked) “Yes, more than likely, and that’s fine. I feel like it’s more of a negative thing for him and not for me.”

(on why that is) “Well, because people are always comparing, people are always saying how Houston made a mistake. But it is what it is and I’m not worried about it, I’m sure he’s not worried about it, but like I said it’s more of a negative story for him than me.”

(on why he has not had a huge rushing game) “I’d rather skip that question. I don’t want to answer that question.”

anyway saw this awesome quote from brees

Question from reporter: At any point in that first half Sunday did you feel like you were going back to the Drew we saw in the first four games? Kind of like the “Good Drew, Bad Drew” persona?

Drew Brees: “Can I just go ahead and say that’s the dumbest thing I have ever heard."

and no.. surprisingly that reporter wasnt john mcclain
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #58
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Since I never got to see Gale Sayers I was hoping that I would get to see the next one this Sunday. I enjoy watching the dimunitive scat back from LSU more than the overhyped and compensated one for the Saints.
Old 11-15-2007   #59
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
Did you also take what Kubiak said about David Carr being the guy who can take us to the Super Bowl?

Also, being all of that you stated above, how is it that he can't manage the clock?
Actualy to be fair, when Carr was re-signed, it was Bob McNair that was saying that Carr was the quarterback that was going to take the Texans to the Super Bowl.

When Kubiak was asked about that, he thought that question was unfair. That no one guy is going to take you to the Super Bowl, that quarterbacking is part of a larger team effort.

I remember that listening to it on the radio because my thought at the time was that Kubiak was much more realistic about what one player can do for you. And the contrast was pretty stark between McNair's statements and Kubiak's.
Old 11-15-2007   #60
djones90
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
No way am I scared of Reggie in any sense.
its alright not to be scared but we better worry because this guy still has the skills to break any touch he gets but as long as we are in the area he will just lay down or go out of bounds. wimp
djones90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read