Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2007   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Reggie going to play?

I cant understand the media's hype machine with Bush , why they have gone so far overboard with the guy . The most lasting memory for me was in the National Title game Vs. UT .... Its 4th and 2 and he's standing on the sidelines ..... They hand the ball to Lendale White who gets stuffed .

Honestly I wish he would disappear completely from my Tv screen now like he did in that most important moment .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #22
austintexanite
All Pro

Hope he plays, he's been giving us crap since "he was the #1 pick." Demeco and Mario need to smack him pretty hard.
Old 11-13-2007   #23
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather him not play. We have enough trouble stopping screen passes that I don't want to see him tear up the Texans.
This is my thought exactly. It's not his running that worries me, but the fact that we are horrible at recognizing and disrupting the screen pass. Combine that with the fact that NO is probably going to make a concerted effort to get Bush the ball and try to make him look decent against us (think Tampa Bay game last year) and I could see some problems. I actually want Bush to play, I just hope we really emphasize stopping the screen this week in practice.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #24
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm confused ? How can a player sustain a concussion if he totally avoids contact ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #25
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm confused ? How can a player sustain a concussion if he totally avoids contact ?
He got knocked out by a flying Subway sandwich. The suspect is being held for questioning.
Old 11-13-2007   #26
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I found this on another board...

Brakos, do you recognize it??!?
Old 11-13-2007   #27
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
NO-25 Bush was injured on the play
Hoping players get injured is cool. Good for you.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2007   #28
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

regardless of whether or not he plays our d better be lockdown.
Old 11-13-2007   #29
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
This is my thought exactly. It's not his running that worries me, but the fact that we are horrible at recognizing and disrupting the screen pass. Combine that with the fact that NO is probably going to make a concerted effort to get Bush the ball and try to make him look decent against us (think Tampa Bay game last year) and I could see some problems. I actually want Bush to play, I just hope we really emphasize stopping the screen this week in practice.
Judging from what we've seen of our coach and the way he calls football games, I sincerely doubt that would be the reasoning behind Reggie getting a lot of touches if it does happen. Payton, even to a fault, has stuck to calling the game his way and not getting the ball to a particular player just for the sake of doing it or proving a point.

If coach thinks that putting the ball in Reggie's hands a lot will win him the game, then he'll do it, but I can't say it would be because he thinks he has something to prove.
Old 11-13-2007   #30
jlam
Veteran

Perhaps of equal or more concern to you guys (and us of course) is the health of our LT Jammal Brown. He went down in a heap this past game and stayed down for a good while. I thought we had lost him for the season at first, but as it turns out, he only strained a muscle in his calf and is going to try to return to practice tomorrow and, hopefully, will be in action Sunday.

The loss of Brown obviously hurts our blocking on the left side as his backup, Zack Strief, is not bad but not as solid as Brown. What really worries me is that if Brown isn't in there, and we have to slide protections over to help Strief out, it leaves us a little more vulnerable up the middle, which is where Brees likes the pressure the least. I don't know how much of Brees anyone here has seen, but he's pretty good at stepping up in the pocket and avoiding edge rushers. Where he gets flustered and bothered, however, is when the Oline allows pressure right up the middle and collapses the pocket, taking away his throwing lanes. Brees is only about 6' 1". Get consistent pressure up the middle of the line and he's not the same QB.
Old 11-13-2007   #31
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

jlam- thanks for your insight and input.

The loss of Brown would be really hard for the Saints. This could be good news for Mario...or as you said if they have to double him...it could be great news for Amobi and Travis. Amobi has done really well this season and that would be great if our two DT's could penetrate the pocket consistently forcing Brees to move left or right.

Our secondary is very suspect right now, as if it wasn't before the loss of Dunta. Not that it isn't important every game, but this one particularly the DL. Brees can't have all day to pick apart our secondary.

I agree Demeco needs to be spying Bush.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #32
dalonestartitan
Rookie

I hope he does, so we can give him another concussion. (OK, bad joke).

But hey, I do want to shut this kid down and beat the crap out of the Saints. Especially after that Madden commercial.
dalonestartitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #33
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
Judging from what we've seen of our coach and the way he calls football games, I sincerely doubt that would be the reasoning behind Reggie getting a lot of touches if it does happen. Payton, even to a fault, has stuck to calling the game his way and not getting the ball to a particular player just for the sake of doing it or proving a point.

If coach thinks that putting the ball in Reggie's hands a lot will win him the game, then he'll do it, but I can't say it would be because he thinks he has something to prove.
Sorry, but I disagree with this. In week 13 last year (I was thinking of the 49ers game, not the Bucs), the Saints made an obvious effort to show that Bush was worth the 2nd overall pick they had invested in him. Up to that point, Bush had proven to be pretty mediocre, averaging 30 yds rushing per game at only 3 ypc and 39 yds receiving per game at only 6.7 ypc, with twice as many lost fumbles (2) as offensive TDs (1). So against the 49ers, with McAllister doing the heavy lifting (136 yds, 5.25 ypc), Bush's number was called over and over again in the red zone, to give him every opportunity to score. I remember thinking while watching this game that they were deliberately putting Bush in a position to score, even though McAllister was having a much better game. You can look it up, mostly they used Deuce to get them down close and then gave Bush the TD. Reggie had one good catch and run, but the rest was all Deuce.

SF @ NO
Bush Game Stats
Old 11-13-2007   #34
jlam
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree with this. In week 13 last year (I was thinking of the 49ers game, not the Bucs), the Saints made an obvious effort to show that Bush was worth the 2nd overall pick they had invested in him. Up to that point, Bush had proven to be pretty mediocre, averaging 30 yds rushing per game at only 3 ypc and 39 yds receiving per game at only 6.7 ypc, with twice as many lost fumbles (2) as offensive TDs (1). So against the 49ers, with McAllister doing the heavy lifting (136 yds, 5.25 ypc), Bush's number was called over and over again in the red zone, to give him every opportunity to score. I remember thinking while watching this game that they were deliberately putting Bush in a position to score, even though McAllister was having a much better game. You can look it up, mostly they used Deuce to get them down close and then gave Bush the TD. Reggie had one good catch and run, but the rest was all Deuce.

SF @ NO
Bush Game Stats
I don't need to look it up, I watched that game. Just like I watched every game. Why in the hell would he pick one game out of the entire year to "prove" that Bush was worth the #2 pick? Reggie was in the game in those situations because, like it or not, he has shown himself to have a nose for the goal line since he got here. Combine that with the fact that we don't run shovel passes and end arounds with Deuce and that's why Bush was in the game.

The arguement doesn't hold water. If Payton wanted to "show the world" he would have done it in the Philly playoff game, but instead he rode Deuce for 140 yards and 2 TDs because that's what his gameplan dictated and it was working that game.
Old 11-13-2007   #35
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Quote:
I don't need to look it up, I watched that game. Just like I watched every game. Why in the hell would he pick one game out of the entire year to "prove" that Bush was worth the #2 pick? Reggie was in the game in those situations because, like it or not, he has shown himself to have a nose for the goal line since he got here. Combine that with the fact that we don't run shovel passes and end arounds with Deuce and that's why Bush was in the game.

The arguement doesn't hold water. If Payton wanted to "show the world" he would have done it in the Philly playoff game, but instead he rode Deuce for 140 yards and 2 TDs because that's what his gameplan dictated and it was working that game.
I reiterate: In the 11 games prior Bush had 1 offensive TD. I don't think that constitutes "a nose for the goal line." Also, like I said, he rode Deuce in this game too, to the tune of 136 yds and an avg of 5.3 ypc. Inside the 10 yd line when you have one RB averaging over 5 ypc and another averaging less than 4 ypc, you would give the ball to the one that had been paving the way the whole game. I think he needed to get Bush going in this game because the 49ers had a weak defense and some of the Reggie Mania had begun to cool to the point where folks were starting to mention Bush more for his game losing fumbles than his game changing plays. I believe it was a calculated effort to regain a little of the public favor that was slowly beginning to wear off. If you don't think Deuce could have picked up those TDs that were gifted to Bush, then I believe you are mistaken.
Old 11-14-2007   #36
jlam
Veteran

Quote:
I reiterate: In the 11 games prior Bush had 1 offensive TD. I don't think that constitutes "a nose for the goal line." Also, like I said, he rode Deuce in this game too, to the tune of 136 yds and an avg of 5.3 ypc. Inside the 10 yd line when you have one RB averaging over 5 ypc and another averaging less than 4 ypc, you would give the ball to the one that had been paving the way the whole game. I think he needed to get Bush going in this game because the 49ers had a weak defense and some of the Reggie Mania had begun to cool to the point where folks were starting to mention Bush more for his game losing fumbles than his game changing plays. I believe it was a calculated effort to regain a little of the public favor that was slowly beginning to wear off. If you don't think Deuce could have picked up those TDs that were gifted to Bush, then I believe you are mistaken.
Sigh. I suppose we can go around in circles like this all day if we wanted to. Bush's struggles in the first half of 2006 were well-documented and have never been refuted by me. I was also of the opinion that, prior to his latest injury, Deuce was not used quite enough and sometimes Payton "fell in love" with Reggie's versatility and potential rather than stick with Deuce when he was running well. There's a lot of people, Saints fans, who share this general sentiment.

The sticking point lies in the fact that the reason Reggie got the ball in the red zone was because of some mythical "pressure" to prove that Reggie was all that. I watched every single snap of every single game last year - Reggie got the ball pretty much the same amount in the first half of the season in similar situations. Difference was, second half of the year he was a different player. He made those plays.

You can sit around and try to apply stats to consipiracy theories all day, but it really doesn't mean anything. You call the plays for the player that you think are going to work in a given situation. The assertation that Deuce "would have" made those TDs but they were "gifted to" Reggie is pure conjecture on your part.
Old 11-14-2007   #37
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hoping players get injured is cool. Good for you.
neither is trying to rub others teams faces in it when you've played very average at best your first yr
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #38
jlam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
neither is trying to rub others teams faces in it when you've played very average at best your first yr
Madden commercial Omglolz no respect!!1
Old 11-14-2007   #39
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

As to the subject of the title of this thread, I believe Reggie is expected to play.

As to subject matter of what most people have been talking about in this thread, here are my FanHouse thoughts on this:

Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young: Evaluating the Top of the 2006 Draft

Did anyone else catch Justice's blog comment that Williams has been playing no better than a sixth rounder?
Old 11-14-2007   #40
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Did anyone else catch Justice's blog comment that Williams has been playing no better than a sixth rounder?
Hum??? Maybe trying to initiate some fan response?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read