Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2007   #41
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tatum Bell next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
For the record, Ron Dayne had a 4.65 time when he was being scouted for the NFL. 40 times rarely give a good deal of insight into what a RB is going to look like. From what I've seen of Tatum Bell, he fumbles chronically and fails to hit the holes with any intensity.
The thing is a sub 4.3 time and a sub 4.6 time are really very different speeds. But I agree he doesn't run his hardest or fastest when he should, that or that 40 time is a fluke.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #42
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: '08 Potential RB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'll eat my hat if Jamaal declares early. Only 2 players have ever done so at UT under Mack Brown.

If Mike Hart falls to the 3rd, then I'm all for that.

Mike Hart's not falling to the 3rd even if kubes feels he has to trade up to get him in the 2nd round. someone will get him there when Kubes ultimately passes on him in the 1st, or something else wacky happens. I'd like to see him here b/c i think he's going to be good in the NFL.

You can't argue against his production, he's not a fumbler he's got pretty good hands & very good speed & he's a gamer. The only knock on this guy is that he's a little injury prone. But i figure since he'll be sharing carries for at least his 1st year, that won't be a problem for him.

he's got a build & running style similar to DD but with more speed, & you know how kubes & Shanahan felt about him when he was at Denver.

I figure he's kubes' dream prospect @ RB, short of an Adrian Peterson-like guy. I'd like to see him here unless we somehow get our hands on McFadden.

Last edited by Mr teX; 11-13-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #43
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which RB?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post

If we do have to get a new running back, I would rather not do so in the draft. At the very least, not in the first round. The bust rate is much to high for me to put a lot of hope in finding our savior at RB in the first round of the draft. Again, I would be happy with Julius Jones if Echemandu was to not work out.
i actually think the opposite:
2007: marshawn lynch (good), AD (super)
2006: bush (meh very average), maroney (good when healthy), williams (ditto), addai (very good)
2005: benson (average again), brown (excellent when healthy), cadillac (ditto)
2004: steven kackson (excellent), kevin jones (good when healthy)

bar benson and bush they've all shown they can play rb at a high level and def looks to have a much lower bust rate than most positions.. biggest problem seems to be staying healthy

now look at fa etc (i might miss a few):
green (decent but has been very injury prone), jamal lewis (poor/average), mcgahee (only ok), thomas jones (poor), tatum bell , reuben droughns , edge (decent this yr), travis henry (pretty good when not getting busy or smoking.NOTE selvin young also looks good in denver),
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #44
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Turner will be a FA after the season and looking for a $30-40 mil deal for 5-6 years.
I'd pay that much for Turner......how much did Green cost us?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
I'd pay that much for Turner......how much did Green cost us?
4 years $23 mil--$5 mil signing bonus and $1.5 mil roster bonus this year.
Old 11-13-2007   #46
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which RB?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
mcgahee (only ok)
I must defend McGahee here. He has played well this year and he is the only thing besides Todd Heap that is doing anything for that Ravens offense. Teams don't worry about McNair or Boller when they play the Ravens...this is the guy they are trying to stop. 6th on the rushing leader board with 749 yards and a 4.3 YPC. He has also been a pretty good receiver out of the backfield this year.
Old 11-13-2007   #47
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4 years $23 mil--$5 mil signing bonus and $1.5 mil roster bonus this year.
So basically the same price as Green? I hope the front office is considering making a move on Turner. Sign Turner, cut Green.....
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2007   #48
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So basically the same price as Green? I hope the front office is considering making a move on Turner. Sign Turner, cut Green.....
I don't see anything wrong with Green other than his injury. However, injuries are also a part of the game and if he is going to lose a step permantently through this injury I would agree with you.
Old 11-13-2007   #49
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't see anything wrong with Green other than his injury. However, injuries are also a part of the game and if he is going to lose a step permantently through this injury I would agree with you.
Green is on the downside of his career, sure he has a little left in the tank, but Turner is young and doesn't have the wear and tear as he's been backing up LT in San Diego. He'd start on most teams in the league IMO and would seriously be worth signing him.
Old 11-13-2007   #50
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Green is on the downside of his career, sure he has a little left in the tank, but Turner is young and doesn't have the wear and tear as he's been backing up LT in San Diego. He'd start on most teams in the league IMO and would seriously be worth signing him.
Def agree that Turner would be better.
Old 11-13-2007   #51
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Def agree that Turner would be better.
I just think Green was a stopgap signing and he really hasn't done much here IMO. Even the games he was healthy, he was still average. Turner could be our guy for the next 5-6 years barring significant injury.
Old 11-13-2007   #52
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Signing Turner allows us to draft an OT and secondary in the first and third. THis would allow us to fill 3 out of 4 holes that we have. Of course you could sign Samuels and draft a RB in the first or third as well, BUT if you think Turner is going to command big bucks wait til you see what Samuels gets on the open market. Turner is probably the cheaper option.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My numbers were probably a little off on Turner. I think he is going to sign a contract that averages about $8 mil a year v. a little over $5 mil a year for Green. Contrast that with say the #10 pick at about $3 mil a year for someone like Stewart.

Signing Turner will be cheaper than signing Samuels.
Old 11-13-2007   #54
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

id like turner too.. he always impresses anytime i see him despite pretty limites touches

and sorry about mcgahee.. sunday night was still in my mind
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #55
austintexanite
All Pro

I haven't seen Turner too much so I can't really say. I like Hart in the 3rd round, but God knows if he'll be available. Jonathan Steward would be nice in the first round, but we need linemen for that.
Old 11-13-2007   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My numbers were probably a little off on Turner. I think he is going to sign a contract that averages about $8 mil a year v. a little over $5 mil a year for Green. Contrast that with say the #10 pick at about $3 mil a year for someone like Stewart.

Signing Turner will be cheaper than signing Samuels.
ICAK, do you think we could sign Samuel and a RB like Turner or Julius Jones (is he a free agent for sure? I could not find out) and have enough left of $30 million cap for draft? Resolving two big needs in FA and then getting LT, FS, OLB and center would look much more doable in draft.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #57
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I have said this before, but Danny Woodhead could be a good fit in Houston. Especially if the Texans run a multi back system. He runs well, has 4.4 speed, and catches the ball as well. He will be there on the second day, only because he is 5'7". And I think I read somewhere that Chadron State runs a zone blocking scheme, thats what the Texans are trying to do, right?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
ICAK, do you think we could sign Samuel and a RB like Turner or Julius Jones (is he a free agent for sure? I could not find out) and have enough left of $30 million cap for draft? Resolving two big needs in FA and then getting LT, FS, OLB and center would look much more doable in draft.
The rookie salary pool isn't going to eat up a ton. Last year the Texans' pool was $3.8 mil and it should be similar this year say $4.2 mil. Resigning FA's and tendering RFA's will probably eat $12-14 mil leaving something around $10-12 mil. There are all sorts of ways to structure deals. For instance, Clements has a cap hit of $11.1 mil this year but that is because San Fran paid him no signing bonus and a $10 mil roster bonus which doesn't get prorated. Same deal paid as a signing bonus would have had a cap hit this year of $2.35 mil. In other words even if the Texans only had $8 mil in cap space for FA's, yes they could sign two big FA's like Samuels and Turner depending on how they structure the deals. Whether it is a good idea to have that much money hanging in future years is another matter--the way San Fran did it keeps the number down in future years.
Old 11-13-2007   #59
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

if we are not set at the center position a new running back will pay minimal returns. IMHO
Old 11-13-2007   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The rookie salary pool isn't going to eat up a ton. Last year the Texans' pool was $3.8 mil and it should be similar this year say $4.2 mil. Resigning FA's and tendering RFA's will probably eat $12-14 mil leaving something around $10-12 mil. There are all sorts of ways to structure deals. For instance, Clements has a cap hit of $11.1 mil this year but that is because San Fran paid him no signing bonus and a $10 mil roster bonus which doesn't get prorated. Same deal paid as a signing bonus would have had a cap hit this year of $2.35 mil. In other words even if the Texans only had $8 mil in cap space for FA's, yes they could sign two big FA's like Samuels and Turner depending on how they structure the deals. Whether it is a good idea to have that much money hanging in future years is another matter--the way San Fran did it keeps the number down in future years.
This is exactly what I thought. And Samuel has said he would sign for $40 million over four years. That is doable. We could be out bid but still a chance. I do unserstand we could draft a CB in first, but why not use that pick for another position and get a FA to fill a hole. Someone maybe you caid Samuel could only be a cover 2 CB and might not be as good in our system. I just disagree. ALso, would not players on team such as Ahman Green be willing to re-do contract to free up cash?
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read